Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a low risk/high reward for NO...if it works out they got a huge steal, if not it was well worth the risk, he's going to be making plays if he can go, he could change that whole defense if he gets back to old form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It also gives the Saints a lot more flexibility. They can still pursue a Shockey and try to work something with the 3rd and more perhaps. Or they could pursue another veteran. Or maybe they get bold and try to shoot up the draft boards for a DT. A lot of options now.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still kinda curious as to what they do with the 10th. Is it Rivers? Is it a corner? Man, I love this time of year!

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

If the rumors about Samuel to Philly are true, which I kinda hope are just because I don't want to give someone a 10 year deal..I guess that means they can stay at 10 and take the best corner on the board (Aqib Talib? McKelvin? Maybe Rogers-Cromartie, if you want to reach a little bit?)
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Ouch. Conditional 09 huh. Ouch. That said, I guess, if you do future value calculations, it comes out to basically the value that was expected for an 08 pick (3rd-4th). I don't get the Jets not pursuing a current year pick instead, though. That said, 09 could be a deeper year, albeit not at QB.
I don't understand why a 2nd in 09 is worth about a 3rd this year?? If we have the chance of getting a 2nd next year wouldn't that be better than a 3rd this year?? I dont understand the logic??

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about we trade down and pick up and extra 2nd or 3rd and get Cason, DRC, or Talib in the late first? Or we could just team Rivers up with Vilma and Fujita to form a hell of a trio and pick a corner in the 2nd. I doubt all of the top corners are gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. Or do we get lucky and have Dorsey fall in our laps?

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 AM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Talib won't be around late in the first, imo.

DRC..seems like he will but his stock has been soaring lately. Hes probably my favorite corner after Aqib, though.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe he and Deuce McAllister will rehab their bum knees together...

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Drew Brees worked out fine...
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Drew Brees worked out fine...
Drew Brees had a bum knee?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Drew Brees had a bum knee?
A serious shoulder injury that put his career in jeopardy.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 AM    (permalink
SaintsMan
Veteran

SaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Deuce had over 1,000yds and 10 TDs coming off a torn ACL in 2006. This is his second ACL tear, but in a different leg.
SaintsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:37 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I imagine the rest of FA will impact it, but if a DT is in range, I think they make the move. I mean, the swap from 7-10 isn't that steep, just the cost of a 3rd rounder. That would keep the 2nd and allow for a CB to be picked there.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
I imagine the rest of FA will impact it, but if a DT is in range, I think they make the move. I mean, the swap from 7-10 isn't that steep, just the cost of a 3rd rounder. That would keep the 2nd and allow for a CB to be picked there.
I'd be up to trade for Ellis or Dorsey. If we take Balmer at 10, though... puke.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I don't understand why a 2nd in 09 is worth about a 3rd this year?? If we have the chance of getting a 2nd next year wouldn't that be better than a 3rd this year?? I dont understand the logic??
It's the future value concept that holds true in say, finances as well. The ability to get something now and develop said player has value that time can't make up for. Now, that said, draft valuations on future value have fluctuated. Some teams don't care about it. Some teams have used something less than a full round difference. Some teams use a half-round valuation from what I recall on trades. Some teams use a full round deduction (the one trade that always pops in my mind was Atlanta givinup up a future first to move up one year, everyone thought it was for Peerless Price, but it was for Reggie Kelly).
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

toonsterwu is a smart, smart man.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

btw, the more i think about it, the more i'd be pissed if I was a Jets fan. Even taking a 4th and a lesser conditional 2009 would be something, IMO, that would be more intriguing than this. Why? This was the odd year where on paper, there looks to be decent-solid 3-4 DL options in the midrounds. There should be real solid LB value as well in the midrounds. Same for DB. TE in the 4th? could be good. WR in the 4th? could be intriguing. For all the talk about the lack of a 1 in this WR class, that's actually pretty ridiculous, IMO. There's going to be a decent 1 in this class, may just be later in the year OL? there's intriguing in the midrounds as well. This is close to a make or break year for Clemens. Even a 4th might've found something intriguing.

Now all that said, just my 2 cents, and I'm not kidding myself - Tannenbaum and Co. must have a plan or thought in place. Maybe they never got anything as high as a 4th this year, which would surprise me, but you never know.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:46 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not going to read any of toonster's posts in here from now on so I don't think about it more and more and as a result, become pissed, being a Jets fan and all.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
btw, the more i think about it, the more i'd be pissed if I was a Jets fan. Even taking a 4th and a lesser conditional 2009 would be something, IMO, that would be more intriguing than this. Why? This was the odd year where on paper, there looks to be decent-solid 3-4 DL options in the midrounds. There should be real solid LB value as well in the midrounds. Same for DB. TE in the 4th? could be good. WR in the 4th? could be intriguing. For all the talk about the lack of a 1 in this WR class, that's actually pretty ridiculous, IMO. There's going to be a decent 1 in this class, may just be later in the year OL? there's intriguing in the midrounds as well. This is close to a make or break year for Clemens. Even a 4th might've found something intriguing.

Now all that said, just my 2 cents, and I'm not kidding myself - Tannenbaum and Co. must have a plan or thought in place. Maybe they never got anything as high as a 4th this year, which would surprise me, but you never know.

Oh, believe me, as a Jets fan, I haven't been this pissed about an offseason move since they signed Kevan Barlow. Vilma was (I guess the word was is apt at this point) my favorite Jets player and a trade like this has left me wondering if the team even wants to improve. Like Isiah Thomas, thinking these guys have a plan gives them too much credit. They're the Jets front office. ****ing up is what they do.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:11 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I'm not going to read any of toonster's posts in here from now on so I don't think about it more and more and as a result, become pissed, being a Jets fan and all.
This is a really pointless post that I'm going to make, but I doubt I'll get infracted for post-whoring. .. but I didn't know you were a Jets fan. For some reason I always thought you were a Seahawks fan.

Um, something on topic. Um ... um ... eh, I can't think of anything on topic. That said, I will say one thing about the Jets decision making. They've largely gone by the board, and I imagine, hopefully, that they've mocked scenarios out and so forth of what's available in the draft. Maybe their view of the DL class doesn't fit what my perception is, and maybe it's more inline with the original perception on the DL class (namely, that the 2nd tier was nonexistent basically).

That said, even if that's the case, this still befuddles me. Let's assume they could get a 4th. I mean, there's the chance of say, a Martin Rucker there. A 2nd TE would be nice. A Craig Stevens could there, a strong blocker that showed well at the combine and might be a more intriguing offensive weapon than previously thought. I mean, some of the Combine surprises, someone like Arman Shields could be there. A WR like Jerome Simpson is someone that absolutely tantalizes me, and he could be in the 4th. You move to OL, and a Breno Giacomini could be there. Kirk Barton could perhaps slide in at RT sooner than later. Brandon Keith, Franklin Dunbar, King Dunlap are all intriguing enough at that point. A whole bevy of OG's should be there. There were LB's that could pair well with Harris inside, say a Jon Goff. Edge options were a bit slim, but some existed.

In the end, maybe they didn't get anything near a 4th round pick this year. It's perfectly reasonable assumption actually. Teams can get quite hesistant on injuries, and it was clear Vilma was headed for a divorce. I will say that, even in a down year this past year, there wasn't anything from a personnel perspective that I think they could've done to really change things. Short of it is, I think they were headed in the right direction with Revis/Harris, and I liked the aggressiveness. Just a bit surprised that in such a huge year for their young QB, they didn't try to find an asset now, but maybe said asset didn't exist.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:19 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh yeah. I just had to explain this to BF. I've always been a Jets fan. I just lived in Seattle for years to I know (or think I know) quite a bit about them, so I always commented on their stuff. Always read the Jets stuff, but never really talked about them until this year (maybe last, can't remember).
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:57 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per John Clayton of ESPN:

Quote:
The Saints are close to finishing a trade for Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Damnit, just make it official already!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:08 AM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jay Glazer confirmed it...so it has to be a done deal already.
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67 View Post
Jay Glazer confirmed it...so it has to be a done deal already.
Yeah, but until I see it up on NewOrleansSaints.com or NFL.com, I'm gonna hold off my judgment.