Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:57 PM    (permalink
CARDIAC CAT 7
Rookie

CARDIAC CAT 7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Faneca NOT to Jets... yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3271283

4 YRS, $32 million with $23 million in guarantee's
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was mentioned on ESPNews Friday that Alan Faneca has agreed to a four-year contract with the Jets.

ESPN's John Clayton said no deal is official yet, and we're not hearing that one is. Faneca's deal is expected to average $8 million annually. It's believed he'll take the weekend to decide between the Jets and Rams' offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

holy crap that's a lot of money for a guard....
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagHombre22 View Post
holy crap that's a lot of money for a guard....
Keeping Jahri Evans is going to cost us a ********.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow this is huge news...I'm honestly so happy right now.

As for the money, we're in such good financial position right now, it's honestly not a big deal. I think even more so however, this means Dewayne will be dealt for a pick...to ease the cap.

It's funny though, two years ago the Jets were in cap hell with the worst situation in all of football, Tannembaum turned things around so well...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. It's really done. I though he would wait until tomorrow to decide between the Jets, 49ers and Rams.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:05 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like I said before in the FA thread, the money actually isn't bad at all, I just question signing someone as old as Faneca on a team that I personally don't think is a playoff team next year.

We'll see though, certainly improves their offensive line.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At worst he'll give them three solid years, and if someone like Smiley is getting 5 a year, yeah, that really isn't bad at all. Very solid signing IMO.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
At worst he'll give them three solid years, and if someone like Smiley is getting 5 a year, yeah, that really isn't bad at all. Very solid signing IMO.
Completely disagree. A team like the Jets which likely is another year away from really competing and has huge holes on the defense is better off signing 26 year old Justin Smiley for 9 million guaranteed then signing 33 year old Alan Faneca for 23 million guaranteed.

I mean if Smiley pans out, he has the potential to be one of the better OGs in the NFL and he'll get 25 million over the life of his 5 year contract. But Fanaca on the other hand can show signs of age, completely flop and they still have to pay him 23 million for the next 4 years no matter what.

I'm sorry but for a team that has so many holes in the defense I think the savings of a Justin Smiley compared to Alan Faneca is too big to ignore. Smiley is a much better signing.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Completely disagree. A team like the Jets which likely is another year away from really competing and has huge holes on the defense is better off signing 26 year old Justin Smiley for 9 million guaranteed then signing 33 year old Alan Faneca for 23 million guaranteed.

I mean if Smiley pans out, he has the potential to be one of the better OGs in the NFL and he'll get 25 million over the life of his 5 year contract. But Fanaca on the other hand can show signs of age, completely flop and they still have to pay him 23 million for the next 4 years no matter what.

I'm sorry but for a team that has so many holes in the defense I think the savings of a Justin Smiley compared to Alan Faneca is too big to ignore. Smiley is a much better signing.
Uhhh...?

First off, Faneca is 31, not 33. Second off, Faneca is already established as one of the league's best guards if not THE best guard...I'll take that over hoping Smiley to ever become that any day.

31 year old Faneca for 8 million>>>>>>>>>>26 year old Smiley for 5 million

Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Faneca is very overrated, I do not like this move.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
Uhhh...?

First off, Faneca is 31, not 33. Second off, Faneca is already established as one of the league's best guards if not THE best guard...I'll take that over hoping Smiley to ever become that any day.

31 year old Faneca for 8 million>>>>>>>>>>26 year old Smiley for 5 million
8 million and 5 million mean absolutely nothing. Non guaranteed contracts in the NFL buddy. It's 23 mil guaranteed for Faneca and 9 mil guaranteed for Smiley. Huge difference. If Smiley tanks next season, he'll never see the rest of the money and the Dolphins can move on. If Faneca wears down and gets old fast, they'll be paying him the rest of the 23 million for a long time.

OG to me is not that important a position and the difference Faneca will make there as opposed to Smiley is not worth an extra 14 million dollars guaranteed IMO.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good signing for the Jets...he will earn every single dollar he is paid. Great player, and a great guy.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He certainly cashed in.

Although that's a lot of guaranteed money, it's a shorter deal so he should see the deal through.

But as I said in the FA Tracker thread, I think what Faneca brings extends past playing left guard exceptionally well. He brings a valuable veteran presence to the offensive line (most notably Mangold and D'Brick), and he adds to the team/locker room and the thought that not making the playoffs is failing. You need vets to set the standard for the team, and to police the locker room, a guy like Faneca adds that for Mangenius.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
He certainly cashed in.

Although that's a lot of guaranteed money, it's a shorter deal so he should see the deal through.

But as I said in the FA Tracker thread, I think what Faneca brings extends past playing left guard exceptionally well. He brings a valuable veteran presence to the offensive line (most notably Mangold and D'Brick), and he adds to the team/locker room and the thought that not making the playoffs is failing. You need vets to set the standard for the team, and to police the locker room, a guy like Faneca adds that for Mangenius.
Exactly, furthermore this aids the development of D'Brick so much. He no longer has to worry about the guy his LG should be guarding and can focus on his own and will get some extra help from Faneca as well.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Not only does this help the running game, but I wouldn't be surprised if D'Brick now can develope into the top 5 talent he was drafted as. Im starting to feel a little optismism injected into my veigns...

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't Justin Smiley is worth 9 million either. Just because he's young doesn't mean he's any good. Resigning Rex Hadnot would have been a better move, and Hadnot isn't really that special either.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We forget that the one backing the Smiley signing is a Dolphins fan. That's interesting about Faneca not actually signing, though.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 PM    (permalink
CLong4Heisman
Veteran

CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
Faneca is very overrated, I do not like this move.
No way. Faneca is the best guard in football, he will give D'brick and Mangold confidence and will add at least two wins to the Jets. 7 pro bowls in 10 years, and a couple all-pro teams, yeah he is so overrated.
CLong4Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLong4Heisman View Post
No way. Faneca is the best guard in football, he will give D'brick and Mangold confidence and will add at least two wins to the Jets. 7 pro bowls in 10 years, and a couple all-pro teams, yeah he is so overrated.
Hrrrm....I just turned on my logic-meter and it tells me that if a player gets a lot of public accolades, that increases the chances that he could be perceived as overrated, as opposed to someone who gets no public credit, and therefore may be underrated.

But hey, don't let logic get in the way of a good homer fest.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
CLong4Heisman
Veteran

CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't feel Faneca is overrated. Their is nothing about his game that I don't like.
CLong4Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i hope he returns to form now that he has that 'security' he didn't feel he had last year. I think his play slipping last year was directly related to how he felt he was treated by Steeler management, rather than his coming decline.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't Justin Smiley is worth 9 million either. Just because he's young doesn't mean he's any good. Resigning Rex Hadnot would have been a better move, and Hadnot isn't really that special either.
You can ask 49er fans (as I have) they all speak highly of him and he was a pretty solid starting OG until his injury. It's not like Smiley is some scrub we picked up. I don't get where your saying the guy is no good. He has started since day 1 and has played with pretty good results. He's not Faneca but he's not getting paid like he's Faneca either.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:29 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is a big move for the jets. Seems like they are really trying to make a push for next year. Faneca, Dbrickshaw, and Mangold Jets are developing into one of the top Olines in the game today.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote