Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
As a Dolphins fan, I'm doing backflips. 6 years, 42 million with 22 mil guaranteed and a 20 million signing bonus.

I think he just pass Reeves was the worse signing of the offseason. Thank God we didn't get him but then again, I'm sure Parcells didn't wanna dish out that sorta cash for him either.

Bring on Chris Long for the Dolphins.
Reminds me of when Parcells wanted to sign Bertrand Berry for the Cowboys, but let him to go ARZ when the price got too high.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Jets fan, I do not like this signing at all.
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
His contract blows Lance Briggs out of the water. Bears got a steal. System player or not Briggs has more talent and production in his pinky then Pace has.

Pace is close to being the highest paid LB in the league. It's like the twilight zone.

The Jets are dishing out all sorts of cash to Pace, Jenkins, Woody and Faneca and of all those could blow up in their face big time. Woody, Jenkins and Pace all have careers that center around underachieving and slacking off and they are worth a combined 102 million with 52 million guaranteed?

Am I the only one that feels the Jets didn't get 102 million worth of upgrades to their roster with those 3?
You do understand that Faneca and Woody probably won't see the money of the final few years of their deals, right? I understand that your scared that the Jets are widening the gap between themselves and your terrible fish but give the Jets some credit for committing themselves to winning. After a few great drafts this was what was needed to take that next step forward.

Faneca is a perennial all-pro player, so you can't really be surprised by that type of contract. Same for Jenkins, who's still only 28.

The Pace contract is iffy but if Parcells liked him enough to pursue him heavily (sorry for the misreport earlier) than I'll put my faith in him.
Bluedevil$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now the question is... Will the Jets pass on Gholston?

I'll lean yes.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil$ View Post
You do understand that Faneca and Woody probably won't see the money of the final few years of their deals, right? I understand that your scared that the Jets are widening the gap between themselves and your terrible fish but give the Jets some credit for committing themselves to winning. After a few great drafts this was what was needed to take that next step forward.

Faneca is a perennial all-pro player, so you can't really be surprised by that type of contract. Same for Jenkins, who's still only 28.

The Pace contract is iffy but if Parcells liked him enough to pursue him heavily (sorry for the misreport earlier) than I'll put my faith in him.
Jenkins isn't a perennial all-pro player. He hasn't even played close to that level in some time. I don't know how much Parcells did or didn't want Pace, but that is an absolutely awful contract. Not sure if that is worse or Kelly's with the Raiders. Woody got benched by the Lions. Thats all you need to know about that. I agree, the Jets have a ton of money locked up in three players who are extremely mediocre at this point.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

that defence is going to be alot better next yr they sure improved
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Gridiron
Rookie

Gridiron hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'll be honest in that I don't know much about Pace, but at the end of the day we had money to spend and positions to upgrade, so we took advantage.

I have a feeling this signing had just as much to do with our desire to sign Pace as well as our desire for Pace to never be a Dolphin.

We probably overpaid but I'm still satisfied. We had 4 ridiculous holes on our team going into this offseason (LG, NT, RT, OLB), and all have been addressed.

We are now in position to simply go BAP the entire draft and get the best athletes possible.
Gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Now the question is... Will the Jets pass on Gholston?

I'll lean yes.
I'd still take Gholston if I were them.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
You do understand that Faneca and Woody probably won't see the money of the final few years of their deals, right?
You do know Woody was terrible during his time in Detriot right. He was not worth what he was getting paid at all and they wanted to get rid of him a couple times with no takers. And you just went out and signed him to a bigger contract that what he had in Detriot. 33 million tied up in Faneca and Woody. You know Faneca is gonna be good because he's that caliber of player but Woody is average at best and your paying him really well for a position he isn't a natural fit at.

Quote:
I understand that your scared that the Jets are widening the gap between themselves and your terrible fish but give the Jets some credit for committing themselves to winning.
You can say the Jets are widening the gap all you want but the fact of the matter is that if these half these moves blow up in the Jets faces (which is very likely given the way FA player do on other teams) then you'll be trying to clean up the mess of these contracts while the Dolphins are getting better with their youth movement.

Quote:
Jenkins is a perennial All Pro? Since when? He's been hurt, mad, fat and lazy for the last 3 seasons. Teams don't trade All Pros for 3rd round picks. He even had to have incentives written into his contract so that the Jets can check his weight and make sure it stays where it needs to be. You act like you got a savior for your NT when fact is, you got a huge question mark.

Quote:
Parcells pursued him at a certain price range. Jets blew that price out of the water. You paid a medicore LB with upside way more then Mike Vrabel who is one of the best 3-4 LBs in the game today. Vrabel only got 16.4 mil guaranteed and your paying Pace 22 mil. Thats a bad signing no matter how you spin it.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 03-03-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In terms of money, he's overpaid. That said, who isn't in free agency this year?

In terms of fit, it's a good fit. Is he a dominant edge guy? I'm not sure. Then again, prior to getting to New England, Mike Vrabel wasn't anything to write home about either. Now, I'm not saying he's going to turn out as good a signing as Vrabel was for New England, but the physical talents are there to excel in the scheme.

To be honest, I think I'm equally as intrigued with the Damien Woody signing. He had a solid end to his Detroit stay. Can he be a good guard? I imagine that's where they are moving him, although it could be RT. If Woody/Faneca can withstand Father Time, this is an offensive line that went from having 2 young guys and um ... nothing? ... to an offensive line that could look real good and could protect Kellen Clemens if he gets the starting nod. They also recouped some picks from the Robertson trade that they lost in the Jenkins deal.

It's a shame they didn't get any current value on Vilma. This team looks to be in a win now mode.

So, what's next? They could still use a DL talent or two. Keeping Kris Jenkins in shape is a question. I'd expect they'll wait on an edge guy, but they could use an ILB. Another corner and a free safety are in the offerings. They can afford to wait on OL now. I'd imagine offensive skill talent just jumped up the boards at WR and TE. The Coles situation still bears watching as well.

This does increase the chance of McFadden at 6 if they went that route.

As for the Fins, it's been Chris Long, Jake Long, and Matt Ryan for awhile. Before, I thought it was Chris Long by a decent amount. I'm leaning closer to a 50/50 right now between Long and Ryan. A long way to go on things.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I haven't read any of this since I am at work, but hopefully this allows Gholston to coast to us at 7. :)
Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
I'd still take Gholston if I were them.

As would I. More passrushers the better.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Jenkins isn't a perennial all-pro player. He hasn't even played close to that level in some time. I don't know how much Parcells did or didn't want Pace, but that is an absolutely awful contract. Not sure if that is worse or Kelly's with the Raiders. Woody got benched by the Lions. Thats all you need to know about that. I agree, the Jets have a ton of money locked up in three players who are extremely mediocre at this point.
Jenkins is only a year removed from his last pro-bowl appearance. Woody was nagged by a rib injury last year that contributed to his benching.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Jenkins is only a year removed from his last pro-bowl appearance. Woody was nagged by a rib injury last year that contributed to his benching.
Which he didn't deserve to go to. He hasn't been an all pro or played at that level since 2003.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Jenkins missed all of the 2004 season with an injury. He missed all of the 2005 season with an injury. He was a huge letdown last season which is what got him traded. Not to mention, he will be a NT now. A position he never played and where he will not get any help. He is far from a perennial Por Bowler. He spends just as much time on the IR and the trade block as he does in Hawaii.

Defend Woody all you want but NFL OL play with rib injuries and shoulder injuries and chest injuries and all those things all the time. They deal with it. Fact is that the Lions were trying to get rid of Woody for a couple of years and he was a huge letdown for them after his signing.

Dude, you signed 3 players with huge question marks to huge contracts. Critics are gonna harp all over that. No sense in trying to defend what for most of the league, look to be extremely questionable moves.

If these guys were had for cheap then I'd agree with you but they are all signed to monster contracts and if they don't work out, you all are gonan have problems and the moves will set you back.

These aren't cheap moves that you can recover from. These are all pretty substantial signings to very questionable players.

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 03-03-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not an elite pass rusher by any stretch, but he is a good player. Not $20M+ good, but for the Jets he's needed. Will be a good young LOLB for their 3-4. They still need a great weakside pass rusher though to complete their front seven. But like I said before they got Pace, the Jets probably are gonna win 8-10 games next year since they upgraded their lines so much and are gonna add an impact player at #6 overall (probably McFadden or Gholston) who will put them over the top as a playoff caliber team.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

I personally think playing NT is the challenge Jenkins needs. He looks like he can be a good fit. His main job will be to occupy blockers, and I think he's still disruptive enough to command double teams.

Woody's injuries should be taken into consideration. Regardless, he finished off the season well at RT, playing on a poor offensive line.

It's hard to defend the Pace deal, but regardless he's exactly what the Jets needed. I just hope he fails to live up to expectation after a big contract, a la Bryan Thomas.

I think the Woody or Faneca signings don't work out, the Jets won't have a hard time restructuring their contracts since they know their in the stretch run of their careers. The Pace deal is by far the biggest risk.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
He's not an elite pass rusher by any stretch, but he is a good player. Not $20M+ good, but for the Jets he's needed. Will be a good young LOLB for their 3-4. They still need a great weakside pass rusher though to complete their front seven. But like I said before they got Pace, the Jets probably are gonna win 8-10 games next year since they upgraded their lines so much and are gonna add an impact player at #6 overall (probably McFadden or Gholston) who will put them over the top as a playoff caliber team.
Yeah agreed... hopefully the Pace signing doesn't discourage the Jets from drafting Gholston.

Thomas played well 2 years ago on the weakside, but Gholston is a huge improvement.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm using this as a general Jets thread.

Interesting that the suggestion is that he'll be at RT. This really pushes down OL on the needs list. A good guard will be there in the 4th/5th, and there are some potential cheap options that will still be in the 2nd tier of FA.

My guess on their order of focus now positionally (at least, this is how I would prioritize things; granted, value is a factor that can change things):

1. DE - I still don't see a top 3-4 DE on the roster. That said, it's questionable if there is a dominant 3-4 DE in this draft. Yes, there's Coleman and Ellis, but is either one a top player? I'm a big believer in that the most important aspect to a 3-4 is the DL.

2. WR - Another top target to help Clemens develop should be prioritized.

3. CB - They could probably make do, but another quality corner buys you time and makes the CB charts look much better.

4. RB - Not an off the charts need, but a young runner that's more than a COP back would be nice to groom with Clemens.

5. FS - A CF type would be a nice complement to Rhodes.

6. OLB - Still should look, although Pace/Thomas buys them a year or two if they wanted to wait.

7. TE - I still believe a dynamic TE makes sense, but Baker was decent.

8. OG - You can find someone to plug in.

9. ILB - There are options in FA (for example, Derek Smith as a stopgap). Not the biggest of needs, although something to consider.

10. NT - Sione Pouha doesn't get me excited, but that said, I expect this to be on the deep end of their needs focus.

Btw, Bluedevil$ -

Quote:
I just hope he fails to live up to expectation after a big contract, a la Bryan Thomas.
I'm assuming that's a typo. You hope he fails to live up to expectation?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
I personally think playing NT is the challenge Jenkins needs. He looks like he can be a good fit. His main job will be to occupy blockers, and I think he's still disruptive enough to command double teams.

Woody's injuries should be taken into consideration. Regardless, he finished off the season well at RT, playing on a poor offensive line.

It's hard to defend the Pace deal, but regardless he's exactly what the Jets needed. I just hope he fails to live up to expectation after a big contract, a la Bryan Thomas.

I think the Woody or Faneca signings don't work out, the Jets won't have a hard time restructuring their contracts since they know their in the stretch run of their careers. The Pace deal is by far the biggest risk.
So because he's gonna be a NT in a 3-4 instead of a 4-3 he's suddenly gonna change his diet, his way of life and get in shape and stop getting hurt. Please.

Woody finished last season playing well. In a contract year. But the 3 years before that he was a letdown.

Your already talking about restructures so obviously you got concerns with the contracts you dished out.

Fact of the matter is I keep posting million of questions about the guys you signed and you keep anwsering back with theories (I think he'll be better at NT, I think they'll restructure, he was hurt last season).

All you have is theories for the million questions these guys come with. You can defend as much as you want but fact is that there's far too many questions for them all to go your way and your gonna end up paying for some of these moves.

And regarding Woody, since when is getting hurt a good thing? You defend his play because he was hurt but you forget the fact that he was hurt. It's never a good thing for a guy to have injuries.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woody played real well at RT for us (it was only 3 or 4 games) but he consistently struggled as our RG.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post

Btw, Bluedevil$ -

I'm assuming that's a typo. You hope he fails to live up to expectation?
Yup, typo... my bad. I meant that I hope he doesn't fail to live up to expectations.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gave the Jets a cornerback at #6 in my mock not too long ago with Gholston, McFadden, and Ellis all in the top 5. I still think that will be the case.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

I've got a hard time seeing them go back to back cornerbacks in the first. Granted, Mangini and Tannenbaum seem to be more accepting of taking value than, say, the Patriots, but do they really need back to back cornerbacks in the first? And who?

It's possible, but I'm not sure.

If Gholston, McFadden, and Ellis are all in the top 5, and they can't deal down, I would probably still encourage a Merling pick there. Maybe Harvey. OL could be a consideration. Merling can play in that 290ish range, but coming in at 276 had to be a concern, so it isn't a great pick. That said, if he projects as people believe, then he could be a dominant 3-4 end. Harvey would be a thought, but only if Thomas gets cut. I wouldn't rule out OL despite the top signings. Both are older, and they could play a Otah at guard and kick him out to OT.

That said, none of these would be an ideal scenario for them. I believe the ideal for now is to deal down. Btw, if I had to guess a CB at 6, my lean would be to Talib, but that wouldn't be great either.

A long way to go. Only time will tell.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like the addition of Pace a lot, I don't like the contract. I feel like we're making huge strides with all these great new additions, but I'm a little worried about the longevity of all the contracts we've dished out. I think we're heading in the right direction though.

As far as the draft goes, I think this means we'd be more likely to trade and stockpile picks because we've really filled our 3 most glaring needs. We have a bunch of positions that we could and should upgrade at, but no huge glaring need worth of a top 10 pick. I still would pick up a pass rusher, I'd like a real speedster to compliment the power and quick step of Pace/Thomas, someone like Groves or Avril...

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote