Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > AFC South Division Forum

AFC South Division Forum Discuss the AFC South

Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Rivalries and Identities

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

Quote:
2. Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots
This has become the NFL's most anticipated matchup. The window for both teams to win another Super Bowl with their current core groups is closingómaybe more so for Indianapolisówhich should add desperation to the usual intensity of this game.

It also helps that Tom Brady(notes) will be back to duel with Peyton Manning(notes), and the '09 game will be in the controlled environment of Lucas Oil Stadium. The best games in the series tend to be played at Indy. This year's big twist is Jim Caldwell taking over as coach Bill Belichick's counterpart.

Don't plan anything for Nov. 15, because this year's prime-time game follows Packers-Cowboys.

8. Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans
This one also had a good comeback last season. After a few down years for Tennessee, it appeared as though Jacksonville had taken its place as Indianapolis' chief AFC South rival. Then Jeff Fisher's team snatched the division crown away. Really, this rivalry started when the division was formed seven years ago, with the Volunteers' favorite son Peyton Manning taking on a team from Nashville. It then hit an early peak when Manning and Steve McNair(notes) were named league co-MVPs in 2003. Expect a great series in '09.
This has bugged me for a while. Well, not bugged, but well you know... Our division wasn't really formed until 2002 (Way to go Houston! I blame you for the Titans lucking out with Peyton Manning in the division! ;)). So we've been grouped for less than a decade and through similar yet different paths. The Colts came to Indianapolis from Baltimore, and the Titans came to Tennessee from Houston and underwent a name-change and a game of musical stadiums. The Jaguars were an expansion team that joined the NFL in 1995, along with Carolina, and the Texans were also an expansion team. So we've got two transplants and two expansions.

Needless to say, when I read the article above, I was surprised to see that someone thought the Colts/Titans as being a Top 10 NFL rivalry. Colts/Patriots is no surprise at all. They were both in the AFC West since 1970. Then factor in the Manning vs Brady duels, especially in the Playoffs, and you have the outra-division history. So while the Colts were in the East, the Titans/Oilers were in the AFC Central. Honestly, I would have been expecting Steelers/Titans to be higher than Colts/Titans, especially after we stomped the Terrible Towel and are now lined up for the season opener. Adding in sharing the same division for 30 years, there's a history.

When I think of the teams I dislike the most in the NFL, the Baltimore Ravens are the first team to come to mind. Not the Colts, who've dominated the division, or the Jaguars who've been our most evenly matched division rival, or Houston the city that the Titans transferred from. Am I the only one that kinda feels this way? Not about the Ravens specifically, but you know. Maybe I'm just too friendly... ;)

I want to get a discussion going, if you guys will humor me. I'm especially interested in how Texans fans feel. I know if the Titans were to move from Nashville to another state, I'd probably drive up to Nashville and lay down in front of the moving trucks. You guys lost a franchise that the people of Houston loved in the Oilers, have gained an expansion team, and now are in the same division as the Titans. Or do ya'll feel like some Titans fans do - we don't really feel much of a connection to the Houston Oilers franchise, especially because of the simultaneous relocation and name change (even though we were the "Tennessee Oilers for a baby bit). How do the people of Houston see the Titans, and as Texans fans, do you dislike the Titans more?

I dunno. I just feel like we're the league oddbunch. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. :D

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm right there with you man. The Ravens and Steelers are my most hated teams for the Titans period. I not only want to beat them every time we play them, I want to destroy them. But in terms of inside the division, I kind of think the Jaguars might be the Titans biggest rivals. Both are always extremely physical with each other and play ball control offense with emphasis on the defense. Not to mention it seems like it has been the closest series for the Titans in terms of win comparisons as opposed to the Colts(who up until recently have dominated us) and the Texans(who we've always kind of dominated).
Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like the Titans that much because obviously they're in the same division. Having said that, my beef would be with the owner. He seems to do stuff to spite us. Taking the team away and all, I won't lie I hated them for a while, but realized it wasn't the players or coaches faults.... over time. Then when the Texans came into the league, and they re-aligned everything it was like a kick in the nuts. The old hometown team was gonna be coming back to play us once a yr. in our stadium every yr. It was like WTF man, leave the Titans in the east and give us Miami in the division. Whatever I got over that 2.... eventually. Then when the anals of history were changed it bugged the hell out of me. EARL CAMPBELL IS NOT WAS NOT NOR SHOULD BE CALLED A TITAN! Sorry, had to get that off my chest I just don't like that. Then VY was the straw that made me say F Adams. VY was Adams call, Cutler would've been the best choice, I'm not saying this in hindsight, but at the time I thought that because he was a home-state product and would have brought more people in. I like Fisher, he's always been a good coach, but I can't stand Bud Adams, my dislike for the Titans may be disproportional because of him, but until he's no longer the Titans owner I won't know.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Colts-Pats rivalry is only the second best in the NFL? Is that why that game gets the midseason primetime slot every year? If Ravens-Steelers was the best, why didn't they get that slot, and why haven't they at any point in the last 5 years?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The Colts-Pats rivalry is only the second best in the NFL? Is that why that game gets the midseason primetime slot every year? If Ravens-Steelers was the best, why didn't they get that slot, and why haven't they at any point in the last 5 years?
I could be wrong, but I think it's cuz' they play twice a yr. every yr.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
I don't like the Titans that much because obviously they're in the same division. Having said that, my beef would be with the owner. He seems to do stuff to spite us. Taking the team away and all, I won't lie I hated them for a while, but realized it wasn't the players or coaches faults.... over time. Then when the Texans came into the league, and they re-aligned everything it was like a kick in the nuts. The old hometown team was gonna be coming back to play us once a yr. in our stadium every yr. It was like WTF man, leave the Titans in the east and give us Miami in the division. Whatever I got over that 2.... eventually. Then when the anals of history were changed it bugged the hell out of me. EARL CAMPBELL IS NOT WAS NOT NOR SHOULD BE CALLED A TITAN! Sorry, had to get that off my chest I just don't like that. Then VY was the straw that made me say F Adams. VY was Adams call, Cutler would've been the best choice, I'm not saying this in hindsight, but at the time I thought that because he was a home-state product and would have brought more people in. I like Fisher, he's always been a good coach, but I can't stand Bud Adams, my dislike for the Titans may be disproportional because of him, but until he's no longer the Titans owner I won't know.
Thanks for the insight man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Yeah, I think the Steelers/Ravens are #1 based solely on last season. The Pats were without Brady, and it's Manning vs Brady that is the staple of that rivalry. The Steelers and Ravens played 3 times last season too, and with Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott running their mouths, that drew the, "OMG! They HATE each otherz!" aspect.

Plus, I think the writer wanted a surprise pick at #1. Colts/Pats has been the obvious one over the past few seasons. I've got hopes for Titans/Steelers though! ;)

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote