Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 AM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Ben Roethlisberger signs extension

Quote:
On Monday, March 3, 2008 Ben Roethlisberger will announce he signed a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The contract is major - 8 years, $102 million, with $36 million guaranteed.
http://somekidsfromohio.com/v2/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7866918?MSNHPHMA

The site isnt the most credible but it says that an announcement will come sometime during the 3rd....so if an announcement doesnt happen it can be locked. Just thought id throw the rumor out there.

EDIT- Added link

Could a mod change the title? Just to take out the ? mark.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 03-03-2008 at 01:46 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Way bigger than I expected it to be. I like the 8 years though

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 AM    (permalink
Meta4
Rookie

Meta4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Holy **** those are BIG numbers.

THE PACK IS BACK!
Meta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:42 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^ Ye Ben has said that he wants to retire as a Steeler, so he prolly asked for a "long term" deal! I know it seems expensive now, but if we waited untill next year, players prices will have shot up again, and he would have cost a good deal more IMO.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya those are much bigger what I exspected. I would say he desererves it though. Hopefully he can stay healthy. This should make the Steelers fans pretty happy.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 AM    (permalink
Meta4
Rookie

Meta4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
^ Ye Ben has said that he wants to retire as a Steeler, so he prolly asked for a "long term" deal! I know it seems expensive now, but if we waited untill next year, players prices will have shot up again, and he would have cost a good deal more IMO.
You cant really put a price on a franchise QB. I say its a good thing they locked him up long term.

THE PACK IS BACK!
Meta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Meh, that's a lot of dough to tie up to a guy that hasn't really proven he can put a team on his shoulders and lead them. I mean, he had a good year last year, definitely a progress, but that's Peyton Manning and Tom Brady money... and he's not even close to that level yet.

Take what I say with a grain of salt if you will, I am more then willing to throw out the fact that I just don't like this guy. I just don't see it. I think he's... OK. He does what he's asked to do. I'm just glad it isn't my team giving him that much money. I mean, he was part of a Super Bowl winner, so he's obviously doing something right, but meh...
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 AM    (permalink
Crvena Ptica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta4 View Post
You cant really put a price on a franchise QB. I say its a good thing they locked him up long term.
Looking at 2004 QB class, Ben is in my eyes the best QB. Already won a SB, and is a leader on that offense. It's hard to find a 4 year NFL player with such a expirience.

Now it's time for Steelers to give him much needed OL help.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 AM    (permalink
Crvena Ptica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Meh, that's a lot of dough to tie up to a guy that hasn't really proven he can put a team on his shoulders and lead them. I mean, he had a good year last year, definitely a progress, but that's Peyton Manning and Tom Brady money... and he's not even close to that level yet.

Take what I say with a grain of salt if you will, I am more then willing to throw out the fact that I just don't like this guy. I just don't see it. I think he's... OK. He does what he's asked to do. I'm just glad it isn't my team giving him that much money. I mean, he was part of a Super Bowl winner, so he's obviously doing something right, but meh...
Well, Ben had to deal with a awfull Steelers OL troughout 2007, taking that into account, i think his numbers are very good. Santonio was injured during a season too. Yes, it's a bit too much money, i agree.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Schefter is on the radio right now with WEEI in Boston and he just stopped talking for a second and said "the Roethlisberger deal just came over my Blackberry, it's confirmed, 102 million."

And if he said it, it's gospel...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7866918?MSNHPHMA
That is A LOT of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alot of money, but like someone else said, you cant put a price on a franchise QB like Roethlisberger. He has already won the SB, put up great stats last year. He should be hitting his prime soon, and he is going to be dangerous. I think the contract he got is well justified. Plus, the size of contracts continue to go up and up. Looking to the future, this isnt a bad price.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Steelers fan, I'm mega-happy. We lock him up for awhile. He is continuing to improve, which is a good thing, and if not for our shady O-line, he would have had an even better year. I'm excited.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

double post sorry

Last edited by The Legend : 03-03-2008 at 01:03 PM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

is he the most paid? player
Manning got 7yrs 99 Million

edit nope
Manning $14Mill, Big Ben 13.5
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Please. Not close to that level? He doesn't have the team that Manning has. Last year he finished second to only Brady in QB Rating.

2005 he finished 3rd in the QB Rating only behind Brady and Manning.
2004 he finished 5th in the QB Rating.

If anyone would watch the games they would see he's really the only reason we were 8-8.

I don't think Tom Brady would've handled that team past 8-8.

Know why? Re-Watch the Superbowl and thats what Ben goes through every week.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you're going to find a single non-Steelers fan that will put Big Ben in Brady-Manning territory. I wouldn't even put him in Carson Palmer territory.

But hey..it's the way it goes. Better to keep a good quarterback for too much money than be the Bears and spend 80 years looking for one.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Know why? Re-Watch the Superbowl and thats what Ben goes through every week.
you could have just said look at your sig lol
Old 03-03-2008, 01:10 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't think you're going to find a single non-Steelers fan that will put Big Ben in Brady-Manning territory. I wouldn't even put him in Carson Palmer territory.

But hey..it's the way it goes. Better to keep a good quarterback for too much money than be the Bears and spend 80 years looking for one.
yeah, he's not in that elite class but he's close and has proven he can win games and that's all that matters.

Great point with the Bears. You can never be sure with QBs. You know what you're getting with Big Ben. Possibly a bit overpaid but you know what you're getting the next 8 years barring injury.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People can knock the move and call it too pricey, but if he was my qb id want to lock him up too, ahead of time at that...The market is crazy right now, prices go up every off season, if you have a franchise qb that has already won you a super bowl within 3 years managing the game and not losing it, as well as this year showing he can open up the offense and be a gun slinger and throw 5 tds in one half out of the spread, he's big and tough to bring down, deceptive speed, great leader, you can argue all day where he ranks with the present day qbs but he's a franchise guy and its a smart move.

The Steelers dont grab alot of FA's anyway, they have the cap room to manage this deal now, why not do it now instead of waiting until its a contract year and your cap is not as manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
People can knock the move and call it too pricey, but if he was my qb id want to lock him up too, ahead of time at that...The market is crazy right now, prices go up every off season, if you have a franchise qb that has already won you a super bowl within 3 years managing the game and not losing it, as well as this year showing he can open up the offense and be a gun slinger and throw 5 tds in one half out of the spread, he's big and tough to bring down, deceptive speed, great leader, you can argue all day where he ranks with the present day qbs but he's a franchise guy and its a smart move.

The Steelers dont grab alot of FA's anyway, they have the cap room to manage this deal now, why not do it now instead of waiting until its a contract year and your cap is not as manageable.
another thing too, i dont know when he was scheduled to become a FA, but what if the whole "uncapped" thing does go through in a few years? If that does happen Big Ben at 13 mil. a year could be an absolute bargain.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Pray Big Ben does not get hurt.

$36 million guaranteed is a lot more money than most of you think, even with the increased cap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he gets hurt they're pretty ****** either way.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
If he gets hurt they're pretty ****** either way.
If he gets hurt...they don't have a dime to allocate their money to strengthen other spots.

I honestly hope we don't shell out over $30 million for ANY player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think with this kind of money put into him, most of this draft will be grabbing lineman to protect him for the very reason of him running for his life on 70-80% of the passing offensive snaps. hope he doesn't get hurt. he is a pretty big guy though. and obviously tough.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote