Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Last Few Winners Not Making The Same Impact?
Yes 17 50.00%
No 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.
Default Defensive Player Of The Year

1999 Warren Sapp, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive tackle
2000 Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens Linebacker
2001 Michael Strahan, New York Giants Defensive end
2002 Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers Linebacker
2003 Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens Linebacker
2004 Ed Reed, Baltimore Ravens Safety
2005 Brian Urlacher, Chicago Bears, Linebacker
2006 Jason Taylor, Miami Dolphins, Defensive end
2007 Bob Sanders, Indianapolis Colts, Safety

just looking back to me it seems like the last few people who have won it
didnt do the same things as the past players did

Lews geting 160 Tackles, 6 Picks, forceng fumbles everywhere
Derrick Brook with like 300 total return yards and 4 tds 120 tackles and 5 picks
Strahan breaking the Sack Record
Sapp just destorying lines not letting the runner get anywere
Ed Reed forcing 12 turnovers 400 return yards 2 tds just owned

seem like there has not been anything like that the past 3 years
maybe its just me but it didnt seem like just one player owning
past years you didnt debet who was the best that year you knew

just my 2 cents like to see what you guys think
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bob sanders was pretty ridiculous this year. Didnt show up as much in the stats i guess, but his impact was just as good. Taylor and Urlacher weren't quite as good but again I think the impact they made (Urlacher especially) was just as important.

Hard to say, i voted no mainly because Bob Sanders was phenomenal last year, but i definitely see the point that can be made on past guys doing better because statistically it isnt even close but in terms of impact i think it's a little closer.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Woody56
Veteran

Woody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I hate Jason Taylor, but I can't deny his 06 season was incredible. 62 Tackles, 13.5 Sacks, 7 TFL, 2 INT's (returned both for TD's), 10 FF's, and 11 PD's. Definately worthy of the award, but I agree Sanders was not that great.
Woody56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sanders didn't deserve it in my opinion. He's like an undersized linebacker with some speed who they stick back at safety. I don't think his coverage skills are that good.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

champ bailey should of won it last year. i don't remember the numbers exactly but he was targeted about 35 times and only gave up 4 completions while making 10 picks. best season a cornerback has ever had. last season didn't really have a stand out player, haynesworth most likely being the clear cut choice if he had stayed healthy.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
champ bailey should of won it last year. i don't remember the numbers exactly but he was targeted about 35 times and only gave up 4 completions while making 10 picks. best season a cornerback has ever had. last season didn't really have a stand out player, haynesworth most likely being the clear cut choice if he had stayed healthy.
did you forget the year Deion Sanders had with the 49ers?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Meta4
Rookie

Meta4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Urlacher was a beast the year he won it

THE PACK IS BACK!
Meta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran

BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe this season, but last year had some great performances. Taylor and Bailey were absolutely dominant and changed games. I thought Bailey should have won but I don't mean that taking anything away from Taylor. Bailey just cemented himself as one of the great cb's of all time.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
did you forget the year Deion Sanders had with the 49ers?
no i didn't
Old 03-03-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
no i didn't
deion had 6picks for over 300 yards 3 tds i belive 5 catches all season and played another sport

so im gonna give it to him not to metion the year Woodson had before that
the year the both won DPOY were amazing

not say champdidnt have one of the greatest years ever and should have one the mvp

but deion didnt even play the whole year and won the MVP and help get his team a ring

and it was one of the only year that people threw his way

Last edited by The Legend : 03-03-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bob Sanders was undeserving, but I have no problem with Taylor or Urlacher.
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

its not that i had problems with the winners i just feel like we havent had years life the past players

Champ should have beat Taylor
Brian had greatgreat year but imo not same to people b4 him
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patrick Willis got robbed

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
deion had 6picks for over 300 yards 3 tds i belive 5 catches all season and played another sport

so im gonna give it to him not to metion the year Woodson had before that
the year the both won DPOY were amazing

not say champdidnt have one of the greatest years ever and should have one the mvp

but deion didnt even play the whole year and won the MVP and help get his team a ring

and it was one of the only year that people threw his way
it was a great season for deion but champ's was more impressive when you consider it was played under modern rules and he was surrounded by a considerably less talented team.

there's actually an article about this exact topic that i'll try to dig up.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Meta4
Rookie

Meta4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Patrick Willis got robbed
No disrespect to Willis but in no way did he deserve to be the DPOY. Sure he had a hell of a season but not that good.

THE PACK IS BACK!
Meta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Haynesworth wouldve got it had he played all 16 games.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Urlacher played on one of the best defenses in the league. I think they were also on pace to break some records if Harris had stayed healthy (I think that was the year he got hurt). He was the heart of the best defense that year. It makes sense.

Taylor also had a great year. His 10 FFs and 2 interceptions were the most impressive. Playing on a team that didnt even go to playoffs or have any other defensive talent. He was good.

Sanders didnt deserve it this year, I think, but he also was the heart of a great defense this year. Though I think Freeney is more vital, but whatever.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
Haynesworth wouldve got it had he played all 16 games.
his injury prove to me that should have won it
when he was out that defence look way worst
then when Sanders was hurt and didnt play
Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taylor and Sanders really stick out as being unimpressive.

Taylor played great yeah, but when I think of DPOY I associate it with a dominant defense and a winning team. Taylor was part of neither. This is debatable, but to me it just made it seem unimpressive.

Sanders kind of fell into the same category. There was no doubt that the defense played a lot better when he was on the field. Still he's undersized and part of a defense that is merely good and completely overshadowed by the offense. Also he wasn't very noticeable when I watched the colts. Again debatable but it's the impression I got.

Guys in the past were part of legendary defenses and when you watched them play you couldn't help but watch them and marvel. I don't feel that way about Taylor or Sanders, but I did about Urlacher, Reed, and others.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:39 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

Anyone else think Sean Taylor played very well untill he got hurt and we all know what happened after that RIP sad

40 tackles 10 PassDef 5 picks 100 return yards 1 ff in 8 games
Lead League At Time

Last edited by The Legend : 03-03-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bob Sanders is everything to the Colts D IMO.
But also I agree with Legend. Taylor wouldve won had he not be killed. He really dominated this year

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
Bob Sanders was undeserving, but I have no problem with Taylor or Urlacher.
can you tell me why sanders was undeserving...? Who do you think should have gotten it instead.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have to strongly disagree, especially concernign the Bob Sanders as MVP last year. He arguably made the biggest impact out of all of them. Without him, the Indy defense is in shambles, especially when it comes to the running game. If it wouldn't have been for him, the Colts wouldn't have made it to the Superbowl, let alone win it last year. I'm not bashing Indy, I really like them a lot and Tony Dungy, but the defense would be horrible without Bob Sanders.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
I would have to strongly disagree, especially concernign the Bob Sanders as MVP last year. He arguably made the biggest impact out of all of them. Without him, the Indy defense is in shambles, especially when it comes to the running game. If it wouldn't have been for him, the Colts wouldn't have made it to the Superbowl, let alone win it last year. I'm not bashing Indy, I really like them a lot and Tony Dungy, but the defense would be horrible without Bob Sanders.
100% agree I dont understand how anyone can say Sanders was undeserving.... Without Sanders Indys D wouldnt have been nearly as good as it was.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Taylor and Sanders really stick out as being unimpressive.

Taylor played great yeah, but when I think of DPOY I associate it with a dominant defense and a winning team. Taylor was part of neither. This is debatable, but to me it just made it seem unimpressive.

Sanders kind of fell into the same category. There was no doubt that the defense played a lot better when he was on the field. Still he's undersized and part of a defense that is merely good and completely overshadowed by the offense. Also he wasn't very noticeable when I watched the colts. Again debatable but it's the impression I got.

Guys in the past were part of legendary defenses and when you watched them play you couldn't help but watch them and marvel. I don't feel that way about Taylor or Sanders, but I did about Urlacher, Reed, and others.

There is a reason it is called DPOY and not Defensive Player on a Winning Team and Great Defense Of the Year (DPWTGDOY) award.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote