Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where doe he rank?
Best Ever 24 15.48%
Top 5 81 52.26%
Top 10 41 26.45%
Top 15 9 5.81%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
He's known for throwing +25 picks.
...in 2005, by fourteen year olds?

I think now that Favre has retired, he'll start moving up people's top QB ranks. People tend to judge Favre as a QB off of what he's done in the last five years, rather than off of what he accomplished during his career as a whole.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Boston : 03-05-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
You would think, after doing it for 16 years, that eventually it would cease to be luck, and actually be looked at as skill. But, I can't expect somebody who's only watched football for FOUR years, who probably doesn't completely understand the game, to comprehend that.
Guarentee I know more about the game of football than you do. Guarentee it.

You can have a different opinion on Favre. But I know football.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post

That is a pretty bold statement there junior

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post

I highly, highly doubt it. Boston is quite knowledgeable. Your posts with regards to Favre just show your lack of football knowledge. Plus you admit to just starting to watch it 4 years ago. How exactly do you expect to know more about the game of football than someone who has been watching their entire life?

I wish you would have said that about me though.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I meant over the course of those years. Favre's '94 wasn't as good as his next 3 years, but it was still a superb year. I don't think any QB in history has had a three year stretch like Favre did. Don't mention Aikman in this, it was a crime he was a first ballot HOFer. There were probably 15 other QBs in the league that could have done what Aikman did.
Right, well I'm just saying that there were other quarterbacks during his time that also played at a hight level and were pretty close in my opinion. Steve Young and John Elway the most notable.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id have to go with favre at 4-5 on my top 5 under montana, unitas, and elway. he will go down once brady and manning retire though, i cant add some one who is still playing to my list.

i like favre, he had that gunslinger attitude which had upsides and downsides. the turnovers are too much for me to over look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Last edited by niel89 : 03-06-2008 at 01:01 AM.
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Elways fans put him in the top 5 because of his last two superbowl-winning seasons. If you look at his overall stats, he was very much average except for a few seasons. He was a winner YES and that puts him up there with the best...But I think top 3 for Elway is too high. I'll say top 10.

Being a packer fan and a HOMER, I'll say Favre is the greates ever. When he was playing whether winning or not, I could not pull my eyes away from the TV
Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stats don't tell the whole story with Elway at all.

Last time I made a list I had Favre about 7-8 among modern quarterbacks. It's not fair to judge earlier quarterbacks by the same standards.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Stats don't tell the whole story with Elway at all.

Last time I made a list I had Favre about 7-8 among modern quarterbacks. It's not fair to judge earlier quarterbacks by the same standards.
Ya, I have Elway as the best '78 and later QB, and I truly dislike him for the same reason I can't stand Eli Manning. Just go to the team you are drafted to.

Elway is much better than his stats would lead you to believe. But I think your 7-8 is some of your anti-packerness coming through.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:52 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's really hard to "rank" quarterbacks in my opinion. And it kind of contradicts the point of football, which is in essence, a team-sport. So I try to think of it as, "who best executed their job on their side of the football with the given talent around them." And that still doesn't work out as well either. Oh well. Favre was one of the best to ever play the game, and that's all that really matters.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM    (permalink
tjpackers
Rookie

tjpackers needs more cowbell.

number 1, he is the legend when you watch a guy for that many years and he is on the same team for that many years you no you wont be able to watch the game and not miss him the guy was awsome. His number will be retired and you will miss number 4

Last edited by tjpackers : 03-06-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: type o
tjpackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpackers View Post
number 1, he is the legend when you watch a guy for that many years and he is on the same team for that many years you no you wont be able to watch the game and not miss him the guy was awsome. His number will be retired and you will miss number 4
I won't miss him

he is a great QB without a doubt, but it seems like a lot of packers fans are blowing this out of proportion...the league will be different without him and it's always felt when a legend retires, but after a couple games, I really doubt the majority of fans outside of Green Bay, maybe the NFC North will care anymore
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I won't miss him

he is a great QB without a doubt, but it seems like a lot of packers fans are blowing this out of proportion...the league will be different without him and it's always felt when a legend retires, but after a couple games, I really doubt the majority of fans outside of Green Bay, maybe the NFC North will care anymore
That guy is a Packer fan. It was weird watching preseason games when Favre wasn't in. The Bears have started 20 QBs since Favre started his first game as a Packer. I was 6 when Favre got to Green Bay. I don't remember another QB starting for them.

I'm still bummed Barry Sanders retired. When someone is as fun to watch as Favre, all football fans will miss him for a while.

Last edited by someone447 : 03-06-2008 at 02:46 PM.
someone447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why can i never resist posting my list in threads like this. btw, i'm beyond ok with people under rating favre. everybody is always gonna have that one player that everybody loves that they just don't get. for me, it's montana.

for the record, i started watching football in 88/89. i'm gonna leave the pre-super bowl era qbs off this list.

1-Brett Favre-yeah, i'm a homer i get it. but really, the only knock anybody can possibly have is INTs..and when you look at his TD:INT ratio over his career, he's right up there with all the other greats. he had the stats, the ring, the toughness, the unique, throwback style. everything you want in a great QB. he really was the whole package. and he did it no matter who he had as a running back or wide reciever...and sometimes, that talent was questionable at best.

2-Fran Tarkenton-another guy, who, imo had everything ya look for in a list like this. no ring, but he led the vikings to 4 freaking super bowls. he WAS a winner regardless of lack of ring. he also brought a scrambling style to the game that wasn't seen much at the time. and he put up numbers that, at the time, were unprecedented.

3-Dan Marino-as a pure passer, i think he's the best. and his lack of running game year after year was downright comical. he really led the dolphins to a decade and a half of winning football all by himself. give him even a mediocre running game and i bet this isn't even a discussion.

4-John Elway-straight up clutch. he was probably mentally and physically the most gifted QB to play in the superbowl era. he found ways to win, and he'd be the guy i'd want with 2:00 to play.

5-Joe Montana-too low? well, i don't even want him this high. it's hard to overlook his accomplishments, but for me, he was a product of the system. he played for the greatest offensive mind in the NFL and he threw to the greatest WR of all time. really, when you're backup QB can step in and equal or better what you've accomplished, ya gotta start thinking that maybe the QB wasn't the reason for the success. I put Joe Montana in the same boat as Troy Aikman. good player. but NOT the reason for his team's successes.

so, i realize that these may be the 5 most statistically impressive QBs of all time...but, that's nothing more than a coincidence. these are the guys, who, imo were talented players that all led their respective teams to long periods of winning. they all had the great combination of the physical ability to make the plays and the mental ability to win for their team. and players like that generally have no trouble hanging around long enough to put up some good career numbers.

btw, i also don't think it's a coincidence that everybody's top 10 will consist only of QBs who played the vast majority of their careers with one team. think about it...not many split careers among the all time greats.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a side note, is it a requirement that to live in Green Bay you must be at least 50 years old and/or weigh over 250 pounds? Ever report I've seen they've interviewed people and it's some of the fattest and oldest people I've ever seen. I mean, I know Wisconsin is fat, but Green Bay appears to me the mecca of all of it.

I also think it's funny how they all are on the brink of tears when talking about him. Come on people, it's not like he's dead, or that he gives a **** about you. I was sad when Walter Payton died, but that's because I actually met him a few times and he, well, died.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
On a side note, is it a requirement that to live in Green Bay you must be at least 50 years old and/or weigh over 250 pounds? Ever report I've seen they've interviewed people and it's some of the fattest and oldest people I've ever seen. I mean, I know Wisconsin is fat, but Green Bay appears to me the mecca of all of it.

I also think it's funny how they all are on the brink of tears when talking about him. Come on people, it's not like he's dead, or that he gives a **** about you. I was sad when Walter Payton died, but that's because I actually met him a few times and he, well, died.
BF51 you don't fully understand the city of Green Bay. The Packers are ALL they have. There is no profession basketball, baseball, or hockey; the Packers are it unless you count the paper mills. The Packers are like a family to the city and the family just lost one of their most important and loving individuals, Brett Favre.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Last edited by princefielder28 : 03-06-2008 at 04:14 PM.
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

No I get that, and I'm actually not trying to be disrespectful here (well maybe the fat part), but you have to be able to seperate reality from fantasy. It's like that ******* terrible movie about the Red Sox and Jimmy Fallon. At the end of the day it's just a game played by people that don't know you or really care about you. Enjoy it for what it is but geez..I mean...I've seen grown men that don't cry when their parents die, but you cry because of a professional football player?

Old 03-06-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is easily in the top-5.
It's a shame to see him retire.
There's no other person like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

yeah, things in Green Bayland are getting pretty over the top, even for a homer like me. at work today, a supervisor on a team near me insisted on blasting the press conference from a radio at his desk. a lot of ladies cried. and it's really the women of Green Bay that are going nuts over this. I've seen a lot of crying women in the last couple days. haven't come across any men that were overly sad.

but, the thing is...Green Bay is a small town, and during training camp and football season, it was not uncommon to see Brett around town. my brother is a pro at a golf course he hit up a lot...he went to movies, he bowled, he grocery shopped, he golfed. now, we won't be seeing him around Green Bay...probably ever again...so the retirement/death thing does make a little sense. because i can't imagine a southern redneck that just wants to golf, fish and cut his grass year round will have much use for the great white north anymore.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No I get that, and I'm actually not trying to be disrespectful here (well maybe the fat part), but you have to be able to seperate reality from fantasy. It's like that ******* terrible movie about the Red Sox and Jimmy Fallon. At the end of the day it's just a game played by people that don't know you or really care about you. Enjoy it for what it is but geez..I mean...I've seen grown men that don't cry when their parents die, but you cry because of a professional football player?
I don't think a Chicago fan can understand. You're use to your QB's going out the door.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
I don't think a Chicago fan can understand. You're use to your QB's going out the door.
There are other positions on the football team as well. My family was associates with Walter Payton's racing company and I met him a few times when I was a kid (how I became a Bears fan in the first place). He was a really great, larger than life character just like Favre and one of the best players of all time as well. When he died I was really sad, but even then I don't think I cried. (Not that there's anything wrong with men crying mind you, I just think it's a little misplaced about the real things that are important in life).

Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There are other positions on the football team as well. My family was associates with Walter Payton's racing company and I met him a few times when I was a kid (how I became a Bears fan in the first place). He was a really great, larger than life character just like Favre and one of the best players of all time as well. When he died I was really sad, but even then I don't think I cried. (Not that there's anything wrong with men crying mind you, I just think it's a little misplaced about the real things that are important in life).
I know, it was only a joke. It will be weird seeing Green Bay this year without Brett Favre though.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
5-Joe Montana-too low? well, i don't even want him this high. it's hard to overlook his accomplishments, but for me, he was a product of the system. he played for the greatest offensive mind in the NFL and he threw to the greatest WR of all time. really, when you're backup QB can step in and equal or better what you've accomplished, ya gotta start thinking that maybe the QB wasn't the reason for the success. I put Joe Montana in the same boat as Troy Aikman. good player. but NOT the reason for his team's successes.
Oh goodness, no offense personally, but that's one of the most misunderstood evaluations of Joe Montana I've ever heard of in my life.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 03-06-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:13 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Oh goodness, no offense personally, but that's one of the most misunderstood evaluations of Joe Montana I've ever heard of in my life.
I feel the same way about Montana. No one is saying he isn't a great QB, but to put him as the GOAT or 2nd is overrating him. Every point drowe made is valid. He played in an incredibly innovative offense, with the GOAT receiver, and his successor came in and outperformed him in the same offense.

He is number 5 for me too.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I feel the same way about Montana. No one is saying he isn't a great QB, but to put him as the GOAT or 2nd is overrating him. Every point drowe made is valid. He played in an incredibly innovative offense, with the GOAT receiver, and his successor came in and outperformed him in the same offense.

He is number 5 for me too.
Well that's just your opinion, not fact. There are Hall of Fame players and coaches that think he's the greatest of all time. Why is it everyone uses the "he played with the greatest receiver of all time" card when he only played with Rice for half of his career practically? He won two Super Bowls before that while playing with guys like Dwight Clark, Freddie Soloman, and Russ Francis. And the running game was not much to speak of until 1987.

As for Steve Young, is it possible that we could have just had two quarterbacks that were good on the same roster? Hmmm. Let's not forget that Young played with great talent his entire tenure with the 49ers. "Household name" talent. Montana did not.

I could make the same case about Brett Favre not being successful if he didn't have all of those coaches in Green Bay tutoring him. And he's been in just about the same type of offense his entire career.

Even though ranking quarterbacks is kind of pointless to me, if I were to actually make rankings, Favre is 6th or 7th on my list.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 03-07-2008 at 08:52 AM.