Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Javon Walker Signs with OAK (6yr $55 Million)

Javon Walker signs a 6 year deal worth $55 Million and $16 Million Guaranteed. Extremely suprised here with this, dont understand why he is worth this much. I thought they were taking a risk on him.

Quote:
Since last Thursday, the Raiders have doled out more than $144 million in contracts to defensive tackle Tommy Kelly ($50.1 million), safety Gibril Wilson ($39 million), and Walker ($55 million).
Raiders have spend a lot of money in the past week...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Basileus777
All-Pro

Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Basileus777 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jesus, Al's lost it. First Tommy Kelly, now $9M per for Javon Walker. A guy coming off his third knee surgery, and who Shanahan just said needed microfracture surgery..

Last edited by Basileus777 : 03-05-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Basileus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Contr0versy

Javon Walker isn't even worth $4 million a year. . . The Raiders are OFFICIALLY doomed.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I don't mind the kelly signing as we don't know the exact contract; there could be certain incentives that can never be reached or years/money he'll never see. They always give out the best possible numbers for the player and i just think kelly is everything the raiders need. Granted it seems a lot of money, but everyone is getting overpaid these days; someone needs to set the new market value and it just so happens its the guys this year, and the teams who follow will have to go above it and so on. (i'd personally rather set the market level than have to follow and give it a larger contract)

Regardless, I can't comprehend this signing. I didn't know any teams were really that interested to create a bidding war to even get it to 5 a year.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow...just wow. Thats alot of money to give a guy with alot of questions. Then again, they gave kwame harris 16 million for 3 years...so Old Al isnt afraid to spend the money. Christ, maybe he is going senile...
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
wow...just wow. Thats alot of money to give a guy with alot of questions. Then again, they gave kwame harris 16 million for 3 years...so Old Al isnt afraid to spend the money. Christ, maybe he is going senile...
He already has about a couple of years ago. It's really unlike al to spend all this money and free agency isn't even over yet.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Since last Thursday, the Raiders have doled out more than $144 million in contracts to defensive tackle Tommy Kelly ($50.1 million), safety Gibril Wilson ($39 million), and Walker ($55 million).
Ouch...I feel bad for Raiders fans having to endure off seasons like this, they really are passionate about their team and Al Davis has no clue whats going on in the world right now and is just pissing money down the drain...

Boy they really did miss out on Jacque Reeves this off season, thats about the only way it could of gotten worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Al Davis legally senile yet?

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
Jesus, Al's lost it. First Tommy Kelly, now $9M per for Javon Walker. A guy coming off his third knee surgery, and who Shanahan just said needed microfracture surgery..
Wow, Dr. Shanahan's prognosis on Walker is pretty bleak. Why the heck didn't the Raiders consult him before signing Walker? Stupid Raiders. Don't you know you are supposed to bring in the best orthopedic surgeon--specializing in knees of course--before spending $55 million on a guy? And everyone knows that Dr. Shanahan is far and away the best in the world.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:26 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Wow, Dr. Shanahan's prognosis on Walker is pretty bleak. Why the heck didn't the Raiders consult him before signing Walker? Stupid Raiders. Don't you know you are supposed to bring in the best orthopedic surgeon--specializing in knees of course--before spending $55 million on a guy? And everyone knows that Dr. Shanahan is far and away the best in the world.
Good defense, but seriously there's no way this signing can be justified. Even if Javon had never been injured, he wouldn't be worth this much. He's not Randy Moss, even if his knees weren't completely shot.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Good defense, but seriously there's no way this signing can be justified. Even if Javon had never been injured, he wouldn't be worth this much. He's not Randy Moss, even if his knees weren't completely shot.
Absolutely right. I agree this is FAR too much money for Walker.

I'll say that as soon as I heard the Broncos were planning to release him and Berrian was signed by the Vikings, I began to hope that the Raiders would pursue him. However, my idea of pursuing was a 2-3 years contract for about $7 million tops + incentives for if he stayed healthy and produced well. So you can imagine my surprise when I saw "6 years, $55 million, $16 guaranteed."

All I can say is: I hope he heals quickly and starts producing at 2004 levels.

It can't be overstated how necessary it is to surround Jamarcus Russell with weapons in his first years as a starter, so at least the Raiders are trying to do that. But they certainly overpaid for this one... (and they can't stop here--they still need someone to stretch the field. I could go for a guy like Drew Carter as that deep threat)

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All Javon has ever caired about is money, money, money.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Actually there's a good chance he might have been. He was on his way to becoming one of the leagues top receivers before his first injury. Then he came back with Denver and had a good first year there. No way is he worth close to that now, but with out the injuries and attitude problems he very well could be.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 PM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

I guess he's panicking and finally snapped after having his back against the wall for the last 4 years.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:50 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

The Raiders can't offer fair market contracts and expect anyone to choose them over other teams. It's the only thing he can do. And even that wasn't enough to lure Bernard Berrian out of Minn. or to stop Stallworth from signing with the Browns. Those guys want to play on contenders. He only has 5 draft picks this year. It is what it is.

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hahahahaha thats crazy !!! I liked him for us but at about 1/2 that price at the worst

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Toneloc498
Rookie

Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.

I really think that Al Davis is just giving a big FU to the rest of the league, he knows hes not going to be able to compete and probably will be dead by the time the Raiders have a winning season again so hes just signing people to insane money to screw other teams into paying the same talent just as much as hes paying, hes destroying the market on purpose is my conclusion.
Toneloc498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ok, so take this as the only time the Raiders will ever speak of anything... especially justfying themselves.

Apparently sensitive to the perception that they are recklessly throwing millions of dollars at free agents who ordinarily wouldn’t give the Raiders a second look, the club took the unusual step Wednesday of confirming (or in their mind, correcting) some salary figures.

If this has ever happened before, I can’t remember when. Frankly, the idea of being free spenders is good publicity, because it brings interest and a sense of confidence not only for the fan base, but draws in more potential free agents.

The particulars as relayed by a team executive in a phone call:

– The Javon Walker deal will pay the wide receiver $16 million over two seasons. Walker got $6 million to sign and salaries of $5 million each of the next two seasons.

The rest of the deal is heavily backloaded with money Walker won’t see unless he approaches the 89 receptions, 1,392 yards and 12 touchdowns compiled in Green Bay in 2004.

Given that players are seldom if ever cut after one year after receiving a sizable signing bonus, Walker has essentially been guaranteed $16 million.

– The Kwame Harris deal is essentially one year for $3 million, giving both the club and Harris the chance to revisit the situation after one season. There was never any guaranteed money reported regarding Harris’ signing.

Most fans understand the figures associated with the entire deal are blown out of proportion by inflated salaries on the back end. The club seldom intends to pay them, and the extra years are added to spread out the salary cap hit on the bonus.

Kelly’s deal includes $29.5 million in salary over the last five years, $19.5 million over the last three years. If Kelly isn’t as good as the Raiders expect, he’ll never see that money.

Walker’s contract has salaries of $10 million on the back end. Those checks will probably never be written.

Still, the up front money has been considerable, and Al Davis had put everyone on notice that he isn’t afraid to take a chance and write huge checks to get his team turned around.

As for Lane Kiffin, he hasn’t been quoted in a single press release regarding any of the signings. Nor are the Raiders taking advantage of the signings with regard to the news cycle by trotting thei new players out for a press conference or conference call, as the 49ers did with Justin Smith and Isaac Bruce.

It was standard procedure when the Raiders were winning division titles, but something they got away from once the losses began to pile up. Still, there were usually quotes attributed to the head coach, filtered through the team, about how happy he was to have so-and-so aboard.

In the photo of Walker signing his deal on Raiders.com, the receiver is flanked not by Kiffin, but by defensive backs coach Willie Brown.

Since the Raiders left the Senior Bowl, Kiffin has declined to speak on the record regarding his status with the club. While that might not be unusual, it is at least a little strange that Kiffin has had nothing to say via club press release about the deals worked out with Justin Fargas, Kelly, Gibril Wilson, Walker and Harris.

Nor did he give a public thanks through the team to Barry Sims for nine years of service.

But at least he got that dancing issue cleared up.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/
Old 03-05-2008, 05:36 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Wow, that article really makes the Harris and Walker deals seem much better. $6 million instead of $16 million to sign is a huge difference. And no signing bonus for Kwame--sounds good to me. If the Raiders need to cut him in training camp or preseason, they can without any worry of a cap hit.

These make me like the signings a lot more.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol3 guys on MONSTER contracts 2 of them havent really done anything and one of them has worse knees than my gran
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
lol3 guys on MONSTER contracts 2 of them havent really done anything and one of them has worse knees than my gran
Look again, Kwame isn't on a monster contract at all and Walker's contract is hardly a big deal. $5 million in the first two years with only $6 million in signing bonus as opposed to the $16 million as reported by ESPN. That means he's only on the cap for $6 million his first two years. With the opportunity to come back to form and give Russell a veteran offensive weapon, it's worth it.

It certainly isn't Moss or even Berrian money.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contr0versy View Post
Javon Walker isn't even worth $4 million a year. . . The Raiders are OFFICIALLY doomed.

Yes he is. He's a top 10 receiver when healthy.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Yes he is. He's a top 10 receiver when healthy.
But he hasnt been healthy since 2004

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:06 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
But he hasnt been healthy since 2004

Yeah thats the problem. I would still take a flyer for 4 mill a year though.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Then it's a good thing the Raiders are only paying him $5-6 million the 1st two years.

Oldie but a goodie.