Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In these situations, it is usually a pwer struggle within the organization and probably was between him and Shanny.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

So if Shanny has the final word....maybe he should have been the one that received the red card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Play Hard
Rookie

Play Hard hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
i don't know much about the broncos, but from the outside...they have a qb of the future, always set at rb, great secondary...not their fault that they play the colts every year in the playoffs. they had one down year last year but were 7-9, pretty much won the games they should have, and had two players die before the season. rough year. Millen stays but yet Sundquist goes...
If they should have won the games they should have then why did the Raiders own them both times. The first game was won by a bs timeout by shanarat. The second game Lane made the proper adjustments and out coached the rat.
Play Hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Eagles own the NFC East
Veteran

Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.

If the broncos have a bad season, think Shanny could get fired?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm probably in the minority, but i don't strongly disagree... that said, i'm not sure there's anyone i'd want right now to replace him. he DID do a fantastic job about a decade ago, and we have been one of the more consistent clubs since our last super bowl win (only one losing season since 2000). in the end, i think bowlen needs to force him to realize that drafting people like clarett is unacceptable, and that signing guys like daryl gardner and dale carter won't fly in the future. maybe he's turned it around? i like the last two drafts. and had darrent not been shot, we'd have three decent years of drafting. granted, only one of those years has focused at all on the trenches.

*shrug* i go back and forth quite a bit on shanny's future with the team. part of the problem, imo, was that we never did have that truly awful season. we haven't had the chance to pick in the top ten (iirc, we haven't had a top ten pick longer than any other team (1991)), and this year is the highest we've picked since 1996 (15). not that draft position is the end all by any means, but it seems like every other team has had a few chances to get some of those top rated guys a few times, where we haven't.
As much as some hate has arised from Shanahan, I bet a majority of teams would take a coach with his success over the years. However, I think his time has come to an end and a change is needed. I mean, at some point, you need a change within the team to get some fresh blood in to fire up the juices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Hard View Post
If they should have won the games they should have then why did the Raiders own them both times. The first game was won by a bs timeout by shanarat. The second game Lane made the proper adjustments and out coached the rat.
Raiders did not "own" the Broncos in the 1st game. If anything, the Raiders were lucky it was close at the end. I remember the lightning delay absolutely killed momentum the Broncos had.
Second game, different story. Broncos were completely demoralized and played like crap and got thrashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles own the NFC East View Post
If the broncos have a bad season, think Shanny could get fired?
Honestly, if its another losing season, I want him gone if someone else is available to step in.
However, he probably will get another pass, well, maybe, maybe not. Pat Bowlen seems irritated that the team went downhill the past 2 years and I suspect if he doesn't see a significant improvement, something will be done.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:44 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjo672 View Post
For some reason I just get the feeling GMs make less of a difference in football than they do in baseball, especially with regards to talent evaluation and acquisition, so I don't know how big of a deal this is with the time of year thing.

I could be completely wrong though...
Never heard of Ernie Accorsi huh?

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
You are forgetting about the 2 most important aspects of football.

Offensive and Defensive lines...both of which suck in Denver which is why they are up and down.
Their interior o-line is still solid. You have to remember that they lost two starting o-lineman last year and then had Lepsis retire at the end of the year (he admitted that he probably shouldn't have played last year). They have Nalen and Hamilton coming back, and Holland proved to be a nice pickup. Not to mention Kuper and Myers also having experience starting now. Their tackles are not good though.

On the d-line their DE's are pretty solid with Dumervil, Ekuban, Crowder, Moss, and Engleberger there. DT is not good though, but if they can pick up Robertson that would give them a pretty good starting duo in Thomas and Robertson with McKinley and probably a rookie backing them up.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
Their interior o-line is still solid. You have to remember that they lost two starting o-lineman last year and then had Lepsis retire at the end of the year (he admitted that he probably shouldn't have played last year). They have Nalen and Hamilton coming back, and Holland proved to be a nice pickup. Not to mention Kuper and Myers also having experience starting now. Their tackles are not good though.

On the d-line their DE's are pretty solid with Dumervil, Ekuban, Crowder, Moss, and Engleberger there. DT is not good though, but if they can pick up Robertson that would give them a pretty good starting duo in Thomas and Robertson with McKinley and probably a rookie backing them up.
Give me all the guys that you think will be good players simply because of experience all you want...

Point remains the Denevr games I watched, their play in the trenches was awful, among the worst in the NFL if not THE worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Look for the Broncos to promote Goodman to head GM (their head scout). I believe he was the driving force in bringing in Cutler, Moss, and Marshall.

One of the reasons why he was fired was probably because he sent an email to a reporter at the end of the season complaining about some of the moves that were made. Klis, the reporter, never made it public till Sundquist was fired.

Those frustrations came spilling out in an electronic message Sund- quist sent me Dec. 3, as yet another unsatisfying Broncos season unraveled.

"I'm personally willing to stand up for the decisions that have been made, but understand I don't necessarily agree with them. The military taught me a lot about how to handle situations like that," Sundquist wrote, after the Broncos blew a road game to lowly Oakland that dropped their record to 5-7.

Within 24 hours of the discouraging defeat, Sundquist fired off a lengthy, unsolicited e-mail. He shared the unenviable challenges of working for a football franchise ruled at the top by Shanahan, and the criticism always rolled downhill, falling on the head of a quarterback, defensive coordinator or general manager.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Quote:
Give me all the guys that you think will be good players simply because of experience all you want...

Point remains the Denevr games I watched, their play in the trenches was awful, among the worst in the NFL if not THE worst.
I don't understand what you are saying in the first sentence.

Among the worst if not the worst? It wasn't that bad but it was a decline compared to previous years. According to football outsiders there o-line ranked 13th run blocking and 14th pass blocking...hardly the worst. But it was a decline from the typical numbers we see, but again losing your starting guard (Hamilton) and center (Nalen) in addition to having your LT playing on one leg and your RT playing a new position it was learning experience across the board.

Defensively their lines ranked 27th against the run and 19th against the pass. Obviously the d-line needs improvement, but they drafted three guys last year so they are trying to address it but it will take some time. But I think getting better LBs (which IMO they have a better group this year than last year) and possibly Robertson will help their performance.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Our OL was bad, but we saw worse last year (e.g. KC's OL at Denver... ugly stuff for Chiefs fans).

I should probably take the 5th on the DL, though. Dumervil flashed plenty in the passing game, but still got killed by the run. We probably had the worst DT unit in the league. Engleberger as a starting DE? Ouch.

With all the young guys, the potential for improvement is certainly there. However, I don't see one guy on the entire DL who you could call "solid". That worries me...
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

jaffe28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Coach Shananhan might be in a pretty tough spot by the end of this year. Even though there isn't a huge groundswell to fire him there's an undercurrent developing among fans. I've read a lot of, "if they have another losing year/don't make the playoffs/etc" next year then they should fire him. Problem is that the Broncos have finally decided to try and build with young players and that might take a couple years. They might be improving but not have it show in the win column this year. I'm a bit concerned we'll start over when we're already in the middle of starting over...

Shanahan's proven that when things come together he can do special things with a team. That's more than the majority of coaches in the NFL have done. As a fan, I hope the Broncos win the SB every year but I think we're probably two or three years away no matter who the coach is...
jaffe28 is offline   Reply With Quote