Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

View Poll Results: What would you give up for CJ?
1st, 2nd, 3rd of this year and more 7 21.21%
1st and 2nd 6 18.18%
1st and 3rd 5 15.15%
Other Combination 8 24.24%
Forget trading up, keep the picks! 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
It just depends on the team. For some teams I'd give up the whole draft as I think getting one elite player like him is better than a bunch of mediocres. While there are never for sure bets (Ricky Williams) I just have a very hard time seeing Johnson not at least being a pro-bowl type player.

For the Vikings, however, there are just too many holes and too many bad drafts in the past where they can gamble it all on one player.

They need to start building their infrastructure, particularly in terms of youth, because right now it's pretty weak.
I disagree with us having a lot of holes. We probably have 3 major needs:

- reliable reciever
- consistent QB
- productive pass-rusher

We can address two through FA, and get the WR in the draft. Actually, we can probably mix and match those, depending on what players are available. We could sign a DE and WR, and get a QB, or the other way.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

couldnt agree more, vikes99ej

once again, this dude shows he has no knowledge about the vikings

i think a lot of people agree that we can land Kerney and graham via FA to shore up those needs, other than that we need a game breaking WR, a vet QB and probably an OG

i think we could easily trade some of our picks and still fill the major holes this team has all while getting the best WR prospect in the last decade
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Eh, Sharper is old and we have no backup plan there...RT right now is a joke.
A TE that could stretch the field should probably be added to your list...
and I think we're all on the "wait and see" program as far as our MLB goes.

There are more holes right now than positions we "know" are solid.
For me I think SS is our strongest positioin , then CB, then DT...left side \
of the line. Assestment (unbiased) of our own team is important.
If we for one ****** think that the team right now is an 11 win team..
that sort of unrealistic expectation only leads to fans "jumping off the bandwagon". This team talent wise right now is nothing more than a 6 win team.

Last edited by Severe Punishment : 02-26-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
This team talent wise right now is nothing more than a 6 win team.
Or maybe that is what Brad Childress would lead you to believe. Because damn, if that's true, Mike Tice must be a HoF coach. The '05 team had less talent than the '06 team, and yet Tice got them to 9-7. Wow.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

jerthemessiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Eh, Sharper is old and we have no backup plan there...RT right now is a joke.
A TE that could stretch the field should probably be added to your list...
and I think we're all on the "wait and see" program as far as our MLB goes.

There are more holes right now than positions we "know" are solid.
For me I think SS is our strongest positioin , then CB, then DT...left side \
of the line. Assestment (unbiased) of our own team is important.
If we for one ****** think that the team right now is an 11 win team..
that sort of unrealistic expectation only leads to fans "jumping off the bandwagon". This team talent wise right now is nothing more than a 6 win team.
E.J. moves to the middles and Greenway plays on the outside. Harris leaving isn't exactly a glaring hole. I wouldn't put him in a top 50 list of NFL LB's.

How can there be no backup plan for SS and it be the teams strongest position? Between Greg Blue and Tank Williams they should have a backup plan for Sharper down the road.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Sorry, that should've read FS not SS...I've said all along that SS is one of our biggest strengths. (you forgot to mention D.Smith)
Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 PM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

jerthemessiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Sorry, that should've read FS not SS...I've said all along that SS is one of our biggest strengths. (you forgot to mention D.Smith)
Smith is the FS. He had a decent year and is 28. I don't see why they would be looking for someone at that position either. Sharper is backed up by Blue and Williams. I don't really see a need at either safty position at this point.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a need at FS(which sharper should be moved back to) its just not as Pressing anymore because we resigned Tank and Childress said he wasnt even thinking of cutting smith but the problem who knows what will happen with tank im hoping he stays healthy, and who knows if sharper will come back to form either way i think we look at safety as our big need next year.... but even if we go sign a bunch of FA's to fill spots i still think i like our options better at #7 just thinking of all we could do there gets me excited, there figures to be one of the top talents there we can steal Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, or alan branch being the three most likely to be there. and with the top talent there we will have some very nice trade leverage with teams like Miami,Houston,Carolina, Maybe St. louis, and maybe Pittsburgh. If we cant trade down we will have our choice of some very nice talent gaines Adams, Amobi Okoye, jammal Andersen, Possibly Quinn, Branch, Peterson, or Russel it's probably going to be thought of as the steal of the first round.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyisme View Post
couldnt agree more, vikes99ej

once again, this dude shows he has no knowledge about the vikings

i think a lot of people agree that we can land Kerney and graham via FA to shore up those needs, other than that we need a game breaking WR, a vet QB and probably an OG

i think we could easily trade some of our picks and still fill the major holes this team has all while getting the best WR prospect in the last decade
Yeah ok. As much as I'm not a fan of SP personally, he's dead on in that the Vikings are talent wise, at best, a 7 win team.

Are you the same dude that made a big piss and then left when everyone disagreed with him? Because you say "once again" as if I've ever talked to you before.

Edit: I remember now, you are. Wow that's pretty sad that you took your ball and went home when EVERYONE told you what a dumbass you are but then you sneak back in. I should have you banned just because you ran everyone down on the board and said you were never coming back.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 02-27-2007 at 06:58 PM.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I hear and read the name Daniel Graham far to often. I really don't see this guy as an upgrade over the 2 guys we have. We may / may not sign him...just don't get the whole thing where he'd be an upgrade.
If we go TE...I'd take Greg Olsen 100X's over a Graham.
...and I'm to lazy to go look it up...but what happened with Eric Johnson ?
I thought he was goign to be an UFA either last year or this year....what's his story ?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Daniel Graham would be an immediate upgrade over nothing which may be what we are left with if childress cuts Wiggins & kleinsasser as he is rumored too. But i agree Olsen is soooooooooo much better i want to see him in purple and gold next year
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

an arm and a leg
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1st, 2nd, 3rd of this year and give al davis a BJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneone
Old 02-27-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Jeff Dugan signed a 4 year extension for around 9 Million.
If Kliensauser and or Wiggins get cut...Dugan moves into their slot (or to the top). If we cut both I would expect us then to sign a F/A tight end , but not as long as we have 3 under contract.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jeff Dugan signed a 4 year extension for around 9 Million.
If Kliensauser and or Wiggins get cut...Dugan moves into their slot (or to the top). If we cut both I would expect us then to sign a F/A tight end , but not as long as we have 3 under contract.
Actually, Dugan was signed to a 5 year extension worth 3.325 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=2696948

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Fooath
Rookie

Fooath hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyisme View Post
i think a lot of people agree that we can land Kerney and graham via FA
We're going to land the best TE and DE in free agency with our current lack of cap space? Yeah, keep dreaming. If Graham plays in the north next year, he'll be in green and gold.

Not only has Childress ran this shop aground, he's managed to do in one year the one positive of previous ownership...a good cap situation. The cap goes up this season, and we go from usually having 30 to around 12? And 6 wins the previous year? And we're more then a 7 win team? Give me a break.
Fooath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Thanks for the link diehard. I thought it was only for 4..."my bad".

And don't we have like 10 or more million in cap room...we'll save almost another million with Smoot and Johnson leaving....am I missing something here ?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

2 trades I would consider

our first this year and our first next year for #3 and conditional picks in return depending on where we end up in the draft....ala, if our pick next year is in the 20s, we get nothing in return from cleveland from the 2008 draft, if our pick next year is between 15-19 then we get a 4th round pick in return in 2008 from cleveland, if our pick is between 10-14, we get a 3rd round pick in return from cleveland in 2008, if we have a top 10 pick in 2008, we get a 2nd round pick from cleveland in return. That way if we end up sucking we still get some value in return in some form or another. And this works according to the draft value chart.

Another idea i would like would be our 3rd this year and our 2nd next year to move up from 7 to 3, this also works according to the draft value chart

I think the odds of us moving up are improving, the Browns are looking to add lewis and are thinking about trading for mcgahee so they may be looking to add something other than RB and could trade down
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote