Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > St. Louis Rams Team Forum

St. Louis Rams Team Forum Discuss the Rams

View Poll Results: #2 pick?
Chris Long/DE (Virginia) 12 52.17%
Vernon Gholston/DE (Ohio State) 6 26.09%
Chris Long/OT (Michigan) 2 8.70%
Glenn Dorsey/DT (LSU) 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2008, 12:11 AM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtfan92 View Post
Rotoworld.com

Did anyone see this? I think linehan is pretty stupid for this reason.
With the number of quality WR's that will be available from round 2-4, it doesn't make sense to trade back and take one in the 1st round.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:21 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, quite frankily it would the most returded thing we've ever done, and we've done a lot of returded stuff. Why trade down when we can get a defensive playmaker like Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, or Vernon Gholston. Those 3 are exactly what we need. Like many said, we can get a WR as talented or even better than Jackson in round 2.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:41 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrillman View Post
With the number of quality WR's that will be available from round 2-4, it doesn't make sense to trade back and take one in the 1st round.
good point

as much as I like DeSean and love to see the Rams select him, trading back in the 1st round is just stupid, James Hardy, Earl Bennett, or any of those type of WR can be there in the 2nd round at the #33 pick

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:18 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
good point

as much as I like DeSean and love to see the Rams select him, trading back in the 1st round is just stupid, James Hardy, Earl Bennett, or any of those type of WR can be there in the 2nd round at the #33 pick
From what I hear, Rams like Hardy but are concerned with his off the field issues.

I'm liking the idea more and more of just waiting till round 3 or 4 and selecting Will Franklin, the guy has a Torry Holt type attitude and has the speed the Rams need.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really not that opposed to the idea, depending on what we do with the pick prior to that and how much it's going to cost to move back up. If we've taken a defensive end or Jake Long, then I'd be more inclined or willing to make a move back up because we've already addressed one area of need. If we take Dorsey, I'd probably be more inclined to keep the pick and not trade up since we'll have not addressed an area of weakness with that selection.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:39 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGSeiler View Post
I'm really not that opposed to the idea, depending on what we do with the pick prior to that and how much it's going to cost to move back up. If we've taken a defensive end or Jake Long, then I'd be more inclined or willing to make a move back up because we've already addressed one area of need. If we take Dorsey, I'd probably be more inclined to keep the pick and not trade up since we'll have not addressed an area of weakness with that selection.
Oh, well I read that differently than you. I read it as meaning the Rams trading their 1st round pick in return for a later 1st round pick and additional picks. If it means trading up to get two 1st round picks it makes a bit more sense, but I still don't really like it just because the Rams could take a WR 10-15 spots after where Jackson is selected, which would still be one of the top WR's. Based on some of the stuff I have seen recently, like Manningham and Will Franklin being available in the 3rd round, I'd almost rather wait until the 3rd round to take a WR. Of course that depends on if they think those guys will really be there in the 3rd.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:06 PM    (permalink
freebirdsrams02
Veteran

freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.freebirdsrams02 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Sedrick Ellis DT, USC. If we did move back, but stay in the top 10 he should be there. Would he be a bad pick or someone who could fit with us.

Sig made by Falcon from E Oakland

"Spread'em and Shread'em"
freebirdsrams02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdsrams02 View Post
What about Sedrick Ellis DT, USC. If we did move back, but stay in the top 10 he should be there. Would he be a bad pick or someone who could fit with us.
He'd have the same thing going against him as Dorsey does, do we really need 5 DT's.

Last edited by nfrillman : 04-19-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:01 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm really hesitant on draft Ellis, I forgot who it was but someone was on the local radio here in St. Louis and they stated that DTs (around 6'0) usually have no success in the nfl. Says DTs need to usually be at least 6'1.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:08 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As I see it, Gholston and Dorsey are two of the three best players in the draft (Mcfadden probably #1, in a close race.)

If I were the rams, I take Gholston first just because a pass rusher is hard to find. If the guy turns out like I think he will, you wont be sorry.

Dorsey is really amazing. Watching him is somthing else. However, I would have to agree with previous posters. He would not address a concern. I am on board with taking best player usually, but in this situation I wouldn't want to use the pick where I already have depth and potential.

I may end up eating crow, but I think Chris Long is overrated. He is good, and I dont deny that. But top three prospect???? I watch him and dont see it. I want to restate-he does not suck by any means. But I dont see his ceiling being as high as Gholston. The pick needs to be Gholston, and I think that is where it will be.

I wander what the magazines would say if Chris Long's name was Chester Colberstein and his father was a Raiders fan instead of a raiders great.

Maybe it is just me.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh, well I read that differently than you. I read it as meaning the Rams trading their 1st round pick in return for a later 1st round pick and additional picks.
My interpretation was that they'd make their pick at second overall, and then similarly to what Cleveland did, trade back into the first round to grab Jackson. Now, whether or not it costs next year's first round pick to do so, I dunno. If it does, I'm against it.

Quote:
the Rams could take a WR 10-15 spots after where Jackson is selected, which would still be one of the top WR's.
Maybe, maybe not. If Thomas, Jackson, Sweed, and Hardy all go in the first round, then you're not left with incredibly good options @ 33 IMO. Kelly and Manningham have red flags that make me hesitant, and I'm not sure you're getting the best value in a Caldwell or Avery there.

Quote:
Based on some of the stuff I have seen recently, like Manningham and Will Franklin being available in the 3rd round, I'd almost rather wait until the 3rd round to take a WR. Of course that depends on if they think those guys will really be there in the 3rd.
Manningham may or may not be there depending on how comfortable people are with his character issues. Personally I don't think he's a great option for the Rams because of Devaney's stated interest in character guys. Franklin probably will be there in the third, as he's generally graded as a mid rounder from what I've seen. Another guy I have my eye on as a possible third round candidate is Jerome Simpson.

So yeah, there are options that can be had later in the draft. But if the Rams have Jackson graded as a top twenty player in this class, and he slips into the mid or even late twenties, then trading up for a guy of that caliber probably looks pretty good to them, especially if they can do it at minimal cost. Do you pass on that because you think the guy you have graded as a third rounder has potential too? Hard to say.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of it for the same reason that works against Dorsey for me - I'm of the belief that the Rams already have two potential starters at DT in Carriker and Ryan, so there simply isn't much of a need at the position IMO.