Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
Shawn Merriman? you must be joking
If he keeps going at the pace he's at, he'll be there.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
If he keeps going at the pace he's at, he'll be there.
Merriman can't hold Derrick Thomas' jock yet it is still taking Thomas longer than it should to get in the HOF.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:19 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsPwn View Post
Are you serious? He was the NFL's leading rusher his first 2 seasons in the league till he had his string of injuries then made a nice come back to a pro bowl level before going to zona. He is still putting up nice numbers behind a terrible line. Peyton Manning wasn't the key to Edge exploding his first 2 years. Why do people think Peyton has been GOD his whole career, granted his a lock to the HOF but he has had his career tailor made for him, had his franchise LT and WR there in place when he got there, plus then has just added weapon after weapon for him with Edge and Wayne. It took them so many years to be good bc they spent so much time handing him the world.
Thats kind of what you do with a team though =/ If you got 1 guy who is a stand out, build a system around him to make him great.

Also, as for the original topic - why is everyone nerd raging because people are putting up guesses?

I mean posting sure-fire future HoFers would get boring after the first page. Part of what the original poster was trying to do is get people's opinions on what the league may look like in a few years.

If he thinks Steven Jackson is going to make the HoF, let him think that. You have no idea if he will or will not, and thats kind of whats fun about a thread like this.

I would like to hope that Carson Palmer makes it the Hall of Fame. He's done a lot for cinci, if our offense gets a running game going maybe he'll put up better stats and be able to compete with Peyton and Brady each year for top tier QB position.

Going over receivers in the league:
T.O. has got to make the HoF. I can't imaging a season will go by in Dallas where Romo doesn't keep him his favorite target, and if he puts the same type of production he'll be in no problem.

Randy Moss set a lot of records, and has just had an overall out standing career. Moss could retire now and make the HoF in my opinion.

I hope Hines Ward makes it. As a cincinnati fan I've kind of grown up watching him over my teenage years and I love his style of play.

Chad Johnson might make it too, though he's got a lot of football left in him to try and prove it. I'd like to see him apologize to cinci fans (yah right) and finish his career here (again, yah right).

Torry Holt is another receiver who's had an amazing career (and still tons left in him). I think if Art Monk made it, it'd be a mistake to leave Torry Holt out. I've seen a lot of people leave this guy off their list and its really depressing. He was not only the fastest receiver to 10,000 yards, but the fastest receiver to 11,000 yards. He's made 7 pro bowls (in like 8-9 years) and currently holds (all time) record for most receiving yards per a game with 84.7 yard average.

Running Backs:

LT obviously, he's the most prolific running back in the league right now.

LJ is a work horse. I don't know how an earlier argument got started about him, but saying that he "won't ever be the same" is ridiculous - you have no idea how is body is going to handle a 400 rushing attempt season. Every player's body takes the many physical demands of football in different ways. If he retired now, would he make the HoF? no, obviously. But he's only been in the league for 4 years, and he just got a big break this season to let his body rest.

Other than that there are a couple guys we really need to see their career play out before even guessing - edge james comes to mind, Fred Taylor too. I'm really excited to see these younger guys' career's play out - like Addai, AP, Laurence Maroney, Marshawn Lynch, Maurice Jones-Drew etc.

I think there are a maltitude of problems with the running back position in this league now:

1) its not rare to find a rusher that can go over 1,000 yards now. It seems like every team has the patience to give these guys the ball enough to just cram it in there till they hit 1,000 yards.

2) I'm not going to say that half back isn't a skill position - but I will say it feels like America is spending a lot of time trying to raise their athletic football enthused sons to be running backs rather than other positions =/ Its like, how many good QB's do you think will come out of this year's draft. I'm not saying they have to be peyton manning - but how many do you think could even be "game managers"? 2? maybe 3-4?

Now how many HB's out of this draft could rush for over 1,000 yards in this league if given a half way decent NFL line? 6? 7-8?

3) The position is so injury prone. Every starting HB gets hurt at least once a year. Maybe just a little bruise or something where they only sit a half a game, but by week 16 you can bet your ass every HB is starting to feel pain.

Now before I rant more about HB, my main point is - its just a really really tough position to judge for the HoF. I think in most cases these guys we see as being "just barely good enough for the HoF" will not make it, because the RB position is so delusional when it comes to stats - Edge james is a perfect example - a lot of people can say he's just had a so-so career because he was really good on the colts, but not so good in arizona.

Anyways I'm done rambling - good night.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
Merriman can't hold Derrick Thomas' jock yet it is still taking Thomas longer than it should to get in the HOF.
I think he'll make it soon. I'm hoping anyway.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Also, as for the original topic - why is everyone nerd raging because people are putting up guesses?

I mean posting sure-fire future HoFers would get boring after the first page. Part of what the original poster was trying to do is get people's opinions on what the league may look like in a few years.

If he thinks Steven Jackson is going to make the HoF, let him think that. You have no idea if he will or will not, and thats kind of whats fun about a thread like this.

Torry Holt is another receiver who's had an amazing career (and still tons left in him). I think if Art Monk made it, it'd be a mistake to leave Torry Holt out. I've seen a lot of people leave this guy off their list and its really depressing. He was not only the fastest receiver to 10,000 yards, but the fastest receiver to 11,000 yards. He's made 7 pro bowls (in like 8-9 years) and currently holds (all time) record for most receiving yards per a game with 84.7 yard average.
Thank you for understanding the premise of the thread. You have to predict the future a little bit in doing this unless you are just picking guys that would be in if they retired right now, but that would indeed get very boring. Also, I too find it ridiculous how many people don't think Holt will make the HOF. He is the definition of a sure fire HOF'r. Just look at where he ranks all time in many categories, he is also a Superbowl Champion, and is of very high character (which is taken into account for the NFL HOF).

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote