Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Interior or Exterior Pass Rush?
Interior Pass Rush 83 68.03%
Exterior Pass Rush 39 31.97%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I can find a solid pair of DT, give me the exterior pass rush. If I have a dominate DE rushing the QB, he's going to be under constant pressure. (Easier to get worn down as a DT then a DE). As long as the 2 solid DT aren't being blown off the ball, and get a small push.. the DE is going to be more effective. If the QB steps up, and he's stepping into his OL, or he is going to run into a DT.

Perfect example. In a game this year, John Abraham was getting immense pressure from the edge. One of the times the QB stepped up and basically just collided with Grady Jackson. Grady isn't a pass rusher at all, but because he got a little push, he was able to get the sack because of Abraham.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
If I can find a solid pair of DT, give me the exterior pass rush. If I have a dominate DE rushing the QB, he's going to be under constant pressure. (Easier to get worn down as a DT then a DE). As long as the 2 solid DT aren't being blown off the ball, and get a small push.. the DE is going to be more effective. If the QB steps up, and he's stepping into his OL, or he is going to run into a DT.

Perfect example. In a game this year, John Abraham was getting immense pressure from the edge. One of the times the QB stepped up and basically just collided with Grady Jackson. Grady isn't a pass rusher at all, but because he got a little push, he was able to get the sack because of Abraham.
And then we cut Gravy, which I believe lit a fire on Crumpler and DeAngelo's hate for Petrino. I know he was old, but big Grady Jackson was very good to us.

Oh well, he would have been released in the offseason anyway. Which is good for getting younger.

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 03-30-2008 at 09:54 AM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerChris View Post
Terrible DE, amazing DT: QB free to drop back as far as he wants
I disagree. As we saw in 2006 and the 7 and 9-step drops, dropping so far back allows the DEs a much straighter shot at the QB. They don't have to worry about turning the corner around the OT, all the have to do is run in a straight line outside the tackle to get the QB.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After these last fews years, I'll take any exterior pass rush I can get.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just know its easier to plug in guys to rush the passer, then it is to plug in a guy to stuff the middle and penetrate...Take Dwight Freeney and Tommie Harris, both are elite guys, but you could find a guy with some speed to get after the qb the way freeney can, obviously not to the same effect but finding good pass rushers come late, early, some guys can just get after the qb...

But your not going to plug in a guy to give you what Tommie Harris can give you, and besides that, a DT has more effect on the entire outcome of a play...Takes the qb out of the pocket, flushes the rb out and forces him to run side to side, Ive seen DE's get ran out of the play on screens or draws, but that interior force isnt going anywhere and disrupts their entire defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

If you saw a lot of Warren Sapp (circa Bucs) you'd notice that he would flush the QB out of the pocket into the long arms of Rice. I'd venture to say most of Rice's sacks were from exactly that.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really, you just need Albert Haynesworth.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Depends. If I have Warren Sapp or Simeon Rice I take Warren Sapp. If I have Booger McFarland or Simeon Rice I take Simeon Rice. The interior pass rusher must be elite, like eight plus sacks a year, to be considered over an elite defensive end.
Their roles were completely different.Sapp wouldn't have been as succesful if it weren't for guys like McFarland.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Their roles were completely different.Sapp wouldn't have been as succesful if it weren't for guys like McFarland.
I agree with the first part but yeah....guys like McFarland are a dime a dozen. Occupy a gap. Big whoop.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack
Really, you just need Albert Haynesworth.
QFT.

AH has 5 sacks through 4 games already. It's not likely, but if he keeps this pace up, then he'd tally around 20 sacks this season.

Either way, we're looking at double-digit sacks from a 6'5, 320-lb nose tackle...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread makes me appreciate how special LaRoi Glover was when he racked up 17 sacks from his DT spot.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Ideally you'd want the warren sapp, but in reality potential Warren sapps are incredibly rare and risky so IMO you're better off finding great DEs and getting either a 3rd pass rusher to rush up the middle or good enough tackles to push the pocket.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to play devil's advocate a little here, i'll make a case for exterior pass-rush.

If i have Mario Williams and Jared Allen on the outside, i'll take that. You can plug a couple of fat guys that can move around a bit in the middle, and just blitz your MLB all game. I'll take one on one matchups on the outside, where there's a higher chance for your player to cause a turnover and a big loss. Besides, having the QB step up isn't that horrible a thing anyway. He shortens his vision down field since there's 5 guys over 6'4 going at it in front of him. His pass has a higher chance of being batted down and he probably can't put a lot of strength into his throw either.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have good push from one DT and one DE then two of either.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:46 PM    (permalink
TheBuffaloBills
Veteran

TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron "Exterior" Schobel...... He is getting older and slowing down a little bit. Since he is an exterior rusher, he doesnt have the speed to get around the tackles. So I vote interior when I factor everything in the long run.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!
TheBuffaloBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly think a DE can be shutdown more easily. You can slide protections, leave a TE or RB in to chip/double etc. Plus, often good QB's can negate a strong outside rush by stepping into the pocket. They may get more sacks, but I'm not sure they change the way an offense plays you quite the same.

After seeing how Manning plays and how the Titans play Manning twice a year, I think an interior rush can be more disruptive. When a QB can't step into the pocket, it can really mess the timing up. Then again, some QB's like Romo or Ben seem to almost thrive off of finding space in the backfield by bouncing around the interior rush and then firing off a pass, so I guess it depends on the QB you're playing. In the end though, I think an elite interior is going to be harder to shutdown in general. The middle of the field is a hard place to take a dominating defender away from.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM    (permalink
rockio42
Pro Bowler

rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rockio42 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interior no doubt cause it makes DEs better, unfortunetly it doesnt go the other way as easily

Check out my twitter @mrocchio42 and check out my radio show on wqqx1490am.com. I'm on every morning with Pro Football HoF voter and NFL regular season awards voter, Howard Balzer. It's always a blast from 9-11.
rockio42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Overall if I could get 2 pro bowl DT or 2 pro bowl DE I would go DT. They can get a great interior pass rush, and no matter what direction the running play goes they will take up blockers as well.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockio42 View Post
Interior no doubt cause it makes DEs better, unfortunetly it doesnt go the other way as easily
That probably sums it up. A pass rushing DT just makes everyone better.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Toneloc498
Rookie

Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.Toneloc498 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
QFT.

AH has 5 sacks through 4 games already. It's not likely, but if he keeps this pace up, then he'd tally around 20 sacks this season.

Either way, we're looking at double-digit sacks from a 6'5, 320-lb nose tackle...
Albert is a beast and would be fantastic on any team in the NFL, he is going to get a monster contract after this year, couldnt imagine him on the same line with Tommie Harris or Henderson. A DT who I consider very underrated is Fred Robbins, he already has 4 Sacks in 3 games nad if you saw the Giants/Bengals game he was all over the field (Had to be MVP of the game) making sacks, getting hands on field goals, batted passes and tackles for loss. Man is a good football player who last year was overshadowed by Strahan and Osi and didnt get much playing time but still got 5.5 sacks. Watch out for him this year he can flourish this year and get over 10 sacks with the increased playing time hes going to get with Osi out and Strahan gone.
Toneloc498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:31 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this discussion comes to the point of QBs and what they are comfortable with. An elite DT is going to completely disrupt the interior of the pocket, making it so that the QB has a really hard time stepping up in the pocket to make a throw. A defensive end coming from the outside disrupts the edge of the pocket, but due to momentum, (if the interior of the offensive line is doing their job) a QB has a good chance at being able to step up into the pocket to make a throw and avoid the rush.

The basic fact of the matter is that QBs are so used to working inside the pocket that disrupting the interior of the pocket is more effective in breaking up the play than a DE coming from the outside. A QB scrambling left or right with a man coming up the middle is most often out of his element. A QB stepping into the pocket with a man coming from either side is much more in his element. This is not even mentioning the physics of the matter that you get better mustard on the ball by stepping into your throws.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:44 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneloc498 View Post
Albert is a beast and would be fantastic on any team in the NFL, he is going to get a monster contract after this year, couldnt imagine him on the same line with Tommie Harris or Henderson. A DT who I consider very underrated is Fred Robbins, he already has 4 Sacks in 3 games nad if you saw the Giants/Bengals game he was all over the field (Had to be MVP of the game) making sacks, getting hands on field goals, batted passes and tackles for loss. Man is a good football player who last year was overshadowed by Strahan and Osi and didnt get much playing time but still got 5.5 sacks. Watch out for him this year he can flourish this year and get over 10 sacks with the increased playing time hes going to get with Osi out and Strahan gone.
Robbins got plenty of PT last year, he was our starting DT, I don't know what to say about him though, every few years he seems to have a year where he's everywhere and racks up Probowl caliber stats, and the next year he's extremely average and gets pushed around and no push. Glad he's having a big year, but he's not a guy who could have any success if he had olines keying on him.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you talking about rushing the passer, a DE is a mile ahead of a DT. Name me 4 DT's who can claim 10+ sack a year on a consistant basis, heck name me 2 who can do it, they are few and far between. If you want to improve your pass rush, a team won't be looking to draft a DT. All defenses that want a great pass rush start on the outside. Sure, it is nice to have a guy who can collapse the pocket but you cannot do it consistantly enough to hold down a QB unless you have a great DE to apply the pressure.
A great DE doesn't need a great DT to ring up sacks but without a great DE what good is collapsing the pocket.
The OL has 3 blockers in the interior vs 2 pass rushing DT's so how effective is any interior pass rush ever going to be.
I cannot believe that anybody examining the stats could believe that a interior pass rush is superior to an exterior one.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
If you talking about rushing the passer, a DE is a mile ahead of a DT. Name me 4 DT's who can claim 10+ sack a year on a consistant basis, heck name me 2 who can do it, they are few and far between. If you want to improve your pass rush, a team won't be looking to draft a DT. All defenses that want a great pass rush start on the outside. Sure, it is nice to have a guy who can collapse the pocket but you cannot do it consistantly enough to hold down a QB unless you have a great DE to apply the pressure.
A great DE doesn't need a great DT to ring up sacks but without a great DE what good is collapsing the pocket.
The OL has 3 blockers in the interior vs 2 pass rushing DT's so how effective is any interior pass rush ever going to be.
I cannot believe that anybody examining the stats could believe that a interior pass rush is superior to an exterior one.
Stats lie...

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:12 AM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer

I look at it like this, to build my team around I would take Mario Williams then build around him. Getting a top flight elite DE that can be a cornerstone for your defense for at least a decade is one of the 3 hardest players to find. Only do the QB and LT spot is as hard to find as it is to find an elite franchise DE. So I would build around a DE then find a DT or interior pass rush.

But, that doesn't mean I would want a more dominant interior rush. I think I would have a hard time passing on Kevin Williams over Mario but because Mario is so much more harder to find I would have to do it. The interior pass rush forces the pocket to collapse and it forces the QB to make a decision to either throw a bad ball under pressure or to move outside the pocket and in to the arms of an outside pass rusher.

But, you can't find a Mario as easily as you can find a franchise DT. How many legit franchise DE's are in he league. Maybe 5, maybe 6. I would say Mario, Peppers, Freeney, Allen, Osi, Gaines and Kamp. But how many great DT's are out there? Haynesworth, Harris, Kevin Willy, Stroud, Jenkins, Seymour, Warren, Dorsey, Ellis, etc. I also think that the a top DE takes president over any other defensive player, just look at the drafts. HOw many LB's, DT's and DB's go first or second overall. How many DE's have? The NFL has made it a point of taking the top flight DE over any other defensive player in the draft and I think that there is all you need for this debate of who you would build your team around.
MarioPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote