Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizmoandchodey View Post
chris houston has hada great combine workout but is very indersized at the corner
ya but the fact of the matter is corner backs tend to b really small these days and those are the ones who r effective- look @ dre bly hes like 5'9
speed is more key these days for a corner than height
id b very happy to get houston

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10080649

Jamie Duke's Mock Draft on Nfl.com
Terrrrrible giants pick- he has us taking tony ugoh 1st round!

sig by jkpigskin

Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Alright I am going to put up a rest of the offseason mock, let me know what you think.

Sign via FA

Rocky Boiman-OLB-1 year-$650,000

Boiman gives us another veteran yet younger LB that can play both outside spots. He is an excellent pass defender and special teamer that has the attittude the Reese is going after. By no means would this be a significant signing, but he'd be cheap and would be a nice role player.

Cuts

Tim Hasselbeck

Trades

Jim Finn to Jets for 6th round pick

2007 NFL Draft

1st round-Ted Ginn Jr.-Ohio State

I know this won't be the most popular pick amongst many of the guys here, but I don't care. I have been watching all the film I can get my hands on that have to do with the WRs in this draft and Ginn is amazing me. His speed is something that could take this offense to another level in so many ways. His route running and hands are underrated and will improve with time. His return ability alone could warrant a 1st round pick, but I think his game will translate very well into the NFL as a WR. We can get an Amani Toomer type WR in any draft, but to get a guy with the speed of Ginn is not possible more often than not. A lot of players do not play as fast as their 40 time, but Ginn plays faster than his 4.3 speed which is sick. Eli loves to throw the ball downfield and if Ginn is the one running those fly routes, you can bet your balls that this conenction would be lethal for years.

2nd round-Earl Everett-OLB-Florida

I have been on Everett's banwagon for quite some time now and I still think he will be a very good LB in the NFL despite a slower than expected appearence at the combine. Fact remains that he plays with speed when in pads and has the kind of team first, all out attitude you want on a team. A very good coverage LB that was often relied on to cover TEs by himself in college who can also apply some pressure on the QB and get into the backfield and be disruptive. He will compete with Wilkinson for the starting WILL job but until he gets a little bit stronger in the lower half, I don't think he could win that competition. However he would round out our need for depth at LB and could be starting by the middle of the season should Wilkinson not get the job done, which is what I expect.

3rd round-Paul Solai-DT-Utah

I love what Cofield and Seawright gave us this past year, and I am pretty sure they can play at the same level again in 2007. However, a lot of people do not realize how fortunate we were to have them healthy all year because that is a position that is pretty easy to get beat up at. Plus, it was apparent that both of them, especially Cofield, wore down late in the year and our run defense took a hit because of it. I think that adding another big body into the rotation is absolutely vital and I have zero confidence in Joseph or Seawright. Solai has a monstrous body but does not play slow, has the high motor type playing style that gets the most out of himself and those around him. You need to be strong in the trenches and I think Solai would complete our D-line to where it needs to be in terms of Championship caliber.

4th round-Marvin White-FS-TCU

You guys know my liking of White, as I have been preaching about him for quite awhile now. He is a very good coverage, centerfielder type safety that has a ton of tools to work with. He knows how to read an offense and make plays on the ball, very sure hands. He also hits like Gibril Wilson in the sense that he throws his body around and can lay the lumber on a ball carrier. I understand we are set at safety with Wilson and Demps, but I feel we are going to eventually need someone back there that is cover first, play the run second. I hate to say it, but the best course of action might be to let Wilson walk next year and slide Demps to SS, a role he appeared to be comfortable with in last year's hybrid safety scheme.

5th round-DeShawn Wynn-RB-Florida

We do have our two headed monster all set to go with Jacobs and Droughns ready to break some backs, but I still want a change of pace back that is capable of taking it the distance every time he gets his hands on the ball. We have talked about Wynn for awhile now and you have to love his combination of speed, quickness, and leg strength. He has a very well put together 225 pound frame that allows him to run in a physical manner, but he also has the explosion to outrun almost everyone on the field. I'd be a lot more secure watching him run with the ball than Ward.

6th round-Dustin Fry-G/C-Clemson

We need a backup interior lineman that cna bring some versatility. Fry was the key to Clemson's nasty running attack up front yet he receives very little recognition for it. He plays with the nasty side that all offensive lineman should play with and I cannot help but think of Rich Seubert when I watch him play. With Seubert starting at LG scenario, Fry would group with Ruegamer and Lentz as the backup interior linemen that could get the job done should someone go down.

6th round (from Jets)-Cory Anderson-FB-Tennessee

The Giants need more of power presence at fullback with this new style of running that Jacobcs and Droughns will offer. Anderson is a no nonsense, straight ahead bulldozer that does not lose the heads up battles with linebackers. He is also a very good pass blocker, much like a TE you could say and can catch balls out of the backfield just as good as Finn.

7th round-Chris Leak-QB-Florida

I don't care that Leak does not meet the stereotypical requirements for QBs int he NFL. His brains alone combined with his success in college are enough to warrant him a 7th round pick. All this talk of him going undrafted is garbage because even though he likely will not have a huge impact on the game field, his brains in the film room, even as a rookie, can help any team. I'd much rather have him as our third QB than Hasselbeck who other than having a hot wife, offers nothing to us.

7th round (comp)-Jake Nordin-TE-Northern Illinois

Not much to say about this pick, just a good blocker from TE with adequate 260+ size and strength. He won't offer anything in the passing game but we already are stocked on targets for Eli to throw to, we need someone can can produce from TE in the running attack.

DEPTH CHART

QB-Eli Manning, Jared Lorenzen, Chris Leak

RB-Brandon Jacobs, Reuben Droughns, DeShawn Wynn, Derrick Ward

FB-Cory Anderson

WR-Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Ted Ginn Jr, Sinorice Moss, David Tyree

TE-Jeremy Shockey, Jake Nordin

OT-David Diehl, Kareem McKenzie, Guy Whimper

G-Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Matt Lentz, Dustin Fry

C-Shaun O'Hara, Grey Ruegamer

DE-Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, Justin Tuck

DT-Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, Paul Solai, William Joseph, Jonas Seawright

OLB-Kawika Mitchell, Gerris Wilkinson, Rocky Boiman, Reggie Torbor, Earl Everett

MLB-Antonio Pierce, Chase Blackburn

CB-Sam Madison, Corey Webster, RW McQuarters, Kevin Dockery, EJ Underwood

FS-Will Demps, Marvin White, James Butler

SS-Gibril Wilson, Jason Bell

K-Josh Huston

P-Jeff Feagles

LS-Ryan Kuehl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Alright I am going to put up a rest of the offseason mock, let me know what you think.

Sign via FA

Rocky Boiman-OLB-1 year-$650,000

Boiman gives us another veteran yet younger LB that can play both outside spots. He is an excellent pass defender and special teamer that has the attittude the Reese is going after. By no means would this be a significant signing, but he'd be cheap and would be a nice role player.

Cuts

Tim Hasselbeck

Trades

Jim Finn to Jets for 6th round pick

2007 NFL Draft

1st round-Ted Ginn Jr.-Ohio State

I know this won't be the most popular pick amongst many of the guys here, but I don't care. I have been watching all the film I can get my hands on that have to do with the WRs in this draft and Ginn is amazing me. His speed is something that could take this offense to another level in so many ways. His route running and hands are underrated and will improve with time. His return ability alone could warrant a 1st round pick, but I think his game will translate very well into the NFL as a WR. We can get an Amani Toomer type WR in any draft, but to get a guy with the speed of Ginn is not possible more often than not. A lot of players do not play as fast as their 40 time, but Ginn plays faster than his 4.3 speed which is sick. Eli loves to throw the ball downfield and if Ginn is the one running those fly routes, you can bet your balls that this conenction would be lethal for years.

2nd round-Earl Everett-OLB-Florida

I have been on Everett's banwagon for quite some time now and I still think he will be a very good LB in the NFL despite a slower than expected appearence at the combine. Fact remains that he plays with speed when in pads and has the kind of team first, all out attitude you want on a team. A very good coverage LB that was often relied on to cover TEs by himself in college who can also apply some pressure on the QB and get into the backfield and be disruptive. He will compete with Wilkinson for the starting WILL job but until he gets a little bit stronger in the lower half, I don't think he could win that competition. However he would round out our need for depth at LB and could be starting by the middle of the season should Wilkinson not get the job done, which is what I expect.

3rd round-Paul Solai-DT-Utah

I love what Cofield and Seawright gave us this past year, and I am pretty sure they can play at the same level again in 2007. However, a lot of people do not realize how fortunate we were to have them healthy all year because that is a position that is pretty easy to get beat up at. Plus, it was apparent that both of them, especially Cofield, wore down late in the year and our run defense took a hit because of it. I think that adding another big body into the rotation is absolutely vital and I have zero confidence in Joseph or Seawright. Solai has a monstrous body but does not play slow, has the high motor type playing style that gets the most out of himself and those around him. You need to be strong in the trenches and I think Solai would complete our D-line to where it needs to be in terms of Championship caliber.

4th round-Marvin White-FS-TCU

You guys know my liking of White, as I have been preaching about him for quite awhile now. He is a very good coverage, centerfielder type safety that has a ton of tools to work with. He knows how to read an offense and make plays on the ball, very sure hands. He also hits like Gibril Wilson in the sense that he throws his body around and can lay the lumber on a ball carrier. I understand we are set at safety with Wilson and Demps, but I feel we are going to eventually need someone back there that is cover first, play the run second. I hate to say it, but the best course of action might be to let Wilson walk next year and slide Demps to SS, a role he appeared to be comfortable with in last year's hybrid safety scheme.

5th round-DeShawn Wynn-RB-Florida

We do have our two headed monster all set to go with Jacobs and Droughns ready to break some backs, but I still want a change of pace back that is capable of taking it the distance every time he gets his hands on the ball. We have talked about Wynn for awhile now and you have to love his combination of speed, quickness, and leg strength. He has a very well put together 225 pound frame that allows him to run in a physical manner, but he also has the explosion to outrun almost everyone on the field. I'd be a lot more secure watching him run with the ball than Ward.

6th round-Dustin Fry-G/C-Clemson

We need a backup interior lineman that cna bring some versatility. Fry was the key to Clemson's nasty running attack up front yet he receives very little recognition for it. He plays with the nasty side that all offensive lineman should play with and I cannot help but think of Rich Seubert when I watch him play. With Seubert starting at LG scenario, Fry would group with Ruegamer and Lentz as the backup interior linemen that could get the job done should someone go down.

6th round (from Jets)-Cory Anderson-FB-Tennessee

The Giants need more of power presence at fullback with this new style of running that Jacobcs and Droughns will offer. Anderson is a no nonsense, straight ahead bulldozer that does not lose the heads up battles with linebackers. He is also a very good pass blocker, much like a TE you could say and can catch balls out of the backfield just as good as Finn.

7th round-Chris Leak-QB-Florida

I don't care that Leak does not meet the stereotypical requirements for QBs int he NFL. His brains alone combined with his success in college are enough to warrant him a 7th round pick. All this talk of him going undrafted is garbage because even though he likely will not have a huge impact on the game field, his brains in the film room, even as a rookie, can help any team. I'd much rather have him as our third QB than Hasselbeck who other than having a hot wife, offers nothing to us.

7th round (comp)-Jake Nordin-TE-Northern Illinois

Not much to say about this pick, just a good blocker from TE with adequate 260+ size and strength. He won't offer anything in the passing game but we already are stocked on targets for Eli to throw to, we need someone can can produce from TE in the running attack.

DEPTH CHART

QB-Eli Manning, Jared Lorenzen, Chris Leak

RB-Brandon Jacobs, Reuben Droughns, DeShawn Wynn, Derrick Ward

FB-Cory Anderson

WR-Plaxico Burress, Amani Toomer, Ted Ginn Jr, Sinorice Moss, David Tyree

TE-Jeremy Shockey, Jake Nordin

OT-David Diehl, Kareem McKenzie, Guy Whimper

G-Chris Snee, Rich Seubert, Matt Lentz, Dustin Fry

C-Shaun O'Hara, Grey Ruegamer

DE-Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Mathias Kiwanuka, Justin Tuck

DT-Fred Robbins, Barry Cofield, Paul Solai, William Joseph, Jonas Seawright

OLB-Kawika Mitchell, Gerris Wilkinson, Rocky Boiman, Reggie Torbor, Earl Everett

MLB-Antonio Pierce, Chase Blackburn

CB-Sam Madison, Corey Webster, RW McQuarters, Kevin Dockery, EJ Underwood

FS-Will Demps, Marvin White, James Butler

SS-Gibril Wilson, Jason Bell

K-Josh Huston

P-Jeff Feagles

LS-Ryan Kuehl
Im not a fan of taking Ginn 1st round personally. I think hes too raw and we have too many other pressing needs that need to be taken care of. Hes an interesting prospect and definently is worth looking at but i dont think its the smartest move for our team. Because is very raw, chances are he wouldnt make the largest impact this year and i feel with this team and how we are aging a bit we need to win now. I love Earl Everett 2nd round- i think thats a fantastic pick, hes going to be a great player. 1st round CB should be addressed if we can get everett 2nd round, like revis houston or hall if available. I do not know anything about rocky boiman so if you could say what team he was on, stats, anything would be helpful. I also think o line needs to be addressed earlier also. Your mock is very interesting and has some good points, but i think the key positions need to be addressed first and foremost. The only WR outside of calvin johnson i would want round 1 is robert meachem- ginn is just too risky and we need to hit a homerun round 1.

sig by jkpigskin

Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I think there is too much of the stereotypical talk that we absolutely need to go LB/CB in the first two rounds. We already have plenty of promising youth at CB and I don't see a rookie coming in and getting anything better than a #4 spot on the depth chart. And that's only if he beats out Underwood and Dockery, both of which really impressed last season.

We are not in a win now mode as much as you think, our offensive line will take another year to develop and I think and we have plenty of youth on the D-line and at LB. Plus, when drafting you have to go BPA more often than not because the draft is more about the future than the present. Plus, Ginn's ability to make the immediate impact you want on special teams could be huge (See Devin Hester).

My point remains that possibly getting a player of Ginn's caluber at #20 won't come around very often.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-28-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ginn would be an option IF we didn't take Sinorice Moss last year. I heard that Coughlin likes big recievers ever since his days in Jacksonville. I doubt we'll take two speed WRs in consecutive needs. We should stick to CB, Big WR, or OLB in round one. If we go OLB or CB in round one, we could look at a guy like Aundrae Allison, Steve Smith, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez in round 2.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
Ginn would be an option IF we didn't take Sinorice Moss last year. I heard that Coughlin likes big recievers ever since his days in Jacksonville. I doubt we'll take two speed WRs in consecutive needs. We should stick to CB, Big WR, or OLB in round one. If we go OLB or CB in round one, we could look at a guy like Aundrae Allison, Steve Smith, Craig Davis, Anthony Gonzalez in round 2.
i think a guy like craig davis would be fine. Also Anthony Gonzalez also would b a nice fit. I do also think that taking a Wr simply based on what coughlin likes is ridiculous and i do not believe that is how we would choose one. The guy will probably be gone next year and is a lame duck: i do not know how much influence he really has left.

sig by jkpigskin

Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
1-Coughlin does not run the draft. Reese does. And Reese wants speed, speed, and more speed.

2-This offense needs more speed/gamebreaking ability even if Moss pans out to be solid.

3-Those WRs you mentioned aren't exactly big.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!

Quote:
1-Coughlin does not run the draft. Reese does. And Reese wants speed, speed, and more speed.

2-This offense needs more speed/gamebreaking ability even if Moss pans out to be solid.

3-Those WRs you mentioned aren't exactly big.
Coaches still have some say in who they want.

I agree that we need speed on offense. In fact, the biggest issue last year was that our WRs couldn't get separation.

The wide recievers I mentioned aren't exactly small either. They are all right around 200 pounds. They all have good height, good hands, good speed. Add Jason Hill to that list also. I don't think Ginn can be a solid #2 reciever, because there is no way he is going over the middle at 178 pounds. That limits him to the same role that Moss is limited to, Slot WR and KR. While we do have a need at WR, we don't have a need at slot reciever.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I really think that we can set our sights higher then that in round 2 (except for Gonzalez and possibly Smith).

It wouldnt surprise me if teams, recognizing that there are about 6 guys with similar skills, that they hesitate thinking they can get a WR second round. I wouldnt be shocked if Sidney Rice, or even Dwayne Jarrett is available in the second (maybe we would have to trade up a few spots or so)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Coaches still have some say in who they want.

I agree that we need speed on offense. In fact, the biggest issue last year was that our WRs couldn't get separation.

The wide recievers I mentioned aren't exactly small either. They are all right around 200 pounds. They all have good height, good hands, good speed. Add Jason Hill to that list also. I don't think Ginn can be a solid #2 reciever, because there is no way he is going over the middle at 178 pounds. That limits him to the same role that Moss is limited to, Slot WR and KR. While we do have a need at WR, we don't have a need at slot reciever.

Moss can be effective over the middle as seen in his senior year at Miami. But anyway, Ginn's highlights are almost all him going deep but if you have the tapes on his games in their entirety, he was across the middle quite a bit. Tough kid too who will put his body out there and grab the ball. Putting him in the middle would really open up things downfield for Plax because his presence will always be on the minds of safeties, his speed is that unreal.

Plus, his return ability alone could be argued for 1st round credibility, many think he is better than Hester in that regard. Just keep that in mind.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Moss can be effective over the middle as seen in his senior year at Miami. But anyway, Ginn's highlights are almost all him going deep but if you have the tapes on his games in their entirety, he was across the middle quite a bit. Tough kid too who will put his body out there and grab the ball. Putting him in the middle would really open up things downfield for Plax because his presence will always be on the minds of safeties, his speed is that unreal.

Plus, his return ability alone could be argued for 1st round credibility, many think he is better than Hester in that regard. Just keep that in mind.
He may be similar to Hester but to expect nearly what Hester did in returns this past year is stretching it. Id be perfectly happy with Steve Smith or Anthony Gonzalez- both of whom can make a big impact on our team. I dont see the necessity to stretch for a WR 1st round when we have other needs and get great quality a little later on.

sig by jkpigskin

Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:

It's not about whether he has the courage to go across the middle, it's about whether his small frame can take that kind of beating. In college he could use his athleticism to get away from LBs and Safties in the middle, that won't happen in the NFL. There are only a select few small WRs that can handle the middle of the field. Our best bet is to draft a Amani Toomer clone. I know that doesn't sound very appealing, but a young Toomer would be great. Dwayne Jarrett posted a 4.67 and 4.62 at his workout, that drops him into round 2, and maybe all the way down to 51 overall considering how packed this WR class is.

Concerning return ability, I believe that the entire special teams unit is more important that the returner himself. Buzz lightyear himself wouldn't get anywhere returning with those guys blocking for him. There was absolutly no place to go.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It's not about whether he has the courage to go across the middle, it's about whether his small frame can take that kind of beating. In college he could use his athleticism to get away from LBs and Safties in the middle, that won't happen in the NFL. There are only a select few small WRs that can handle the middle of the field. Our best bet is to draft a Amani Toomer clone. I know that doesn't sound very appealing, but a young Toomer would be great. Dwayne Jarrett posted a 4.67 and 4.62 at his workout, that drops him into round 2, and maybe all the way down to 51 overall considering how packed this WR class is.

Concerning return ability, I believe that the entire special teams unit is more important that the returner himself. Buzz lightyear himself wouldn't get anywhere returning with those guys blocking for him. There was absolutly no place to go.

How many games did Ginn miss in college?
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't take it personally when I say this Number 10, but I would punch Jerry Reese (as much as I love him for what he's done so far) right in the face if he drafted Ted Ginn Jr. in the first round for us.

Sure he's got great speed, but Sinorice offers that. Not only that, but the thing I believe that seprates Sinorice from Ginn is that Moss is not afraid to go up and grab the ball in the air, even if he is only 5'8. From I've seen from Ginn, and I've watched many Ohio State games with him playing and if a ball is high or out infront of him he doesn't make a real effort to go out and attack it.

It's why Steve Smith is such a great receiver in the NFL, not only because of his burning speed, but because he's not afraid to go up and grab the ball even though he hasn't got ideal height.

I'm really a fan of taking Brandon Myles out of West Virgina in the 4th round. Impressed me at the Senior Bowl a lot in the red zone and one on one drills. He's about 6 feet, and ran a 4.41. I think he's that perfectly balanced receiver we need. Has good speed, decent height and catches over the middle and in the redzone very well. Somewhat reminds me of a faster, slightly smaller Amani Toomer.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Don't take it personally when I say this Number 10, but I would punch Jerry Reese (as much as I love him for what he's done so far) right in the face if he drafted Ted Ginn Jr. in the first round for us.

Sure he's got great speed, but Sinorice offers that. Not only that, but the thing I believe that seprates Sinorice from Ginn is that Moss is not afraid to go up and grab the ball in the air, even if he is only 5'8. From I've seen from Ginn, and I've watched many Ohio State games with him playing and if a ball is high or out infront of him he doesn't make a real effort to go out and attack it.

It's why Steve Smith is such a great receiver in the NFL, not only because of his burning speed, but because he's not afraid to go up and grab the ball even though he hasn't got ideal height.

I'm really a fan of taking Brandon Myles out of West Virgina in the 4th round. Impressed me at the Senior Bowl a lot in the red zone and one on one drills. He's about 6 feet, and ran a 4.41. I think he's that perfectly balanced receiver we need. Has good speed, decent height and catches over the middle and in the redzone very well. Somewhat reminds me of a faster, slightly smaller Amani Toomer.
I don't take it personally at all....I think this would be a great pick.

Sinorice Moss is fast, so what? Having 2 burners on the field would pay huge dividends for Plax and Shockey, and you can never have too much speed on an offense. We haven't had enough speed on this team for way too long and putting Ginn on the roster for the next 10 years with Moss solves that. Speed is the most lethal weapon in football, and we need more of it. Ginn has speed that does not come around very often and we may be in a spot to grab him, can't pass him up.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldnt pass on Ginn either. At worst, he is gonna be a top 5 kick returner and a good slot reciever.

I think he will be a nice player. I didnt like the Moss pick cause he simply doesnt have the size.

But I think we need more size at WR. That seems to be what Eli likes
Old 03-29-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
Giants Pride
Rookie

Giants Pride hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
I wouldnt pass on Ginn either. At worst, he is gonna be a top 5 kick returner and a good slot reciever.

I think he will be a nice player. I didnt like the Moss pick cause he simply doesnt have the size.

Disagree there. I like Ginn, but he is a boom or bust prospect. Even the best kick returners are only dominant for a 2-4 year stretch. Look at Dante Hall. He had a few great years and then faded. Also some of them (Az Hakim, Hester, Hall) never develope another niche. Ginn has better skills then those guys but he has almost as unpolished. Hes a hard worker, and will have some impact right away on ST but other then that he is a project.

If we traded back to 30 and got him I would be fine with it. I wouldn't use our #20 pick on anything other then a guy who will be a defensive starter (Houston, Nelson, Willis, Poz) day 1. There are too many good players that if "said player" isn't there I would trade back to 30-35 range and get 2 extra picks (2nd and a 3rd/4th or a 2nd next year).
Old 03-29-2007, 09:11 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im not a fan of taking Ginn 1st round personally. I think hes too raw and we have too many other pressing needs that need to be taken care of. Hes an interesting prospect and definently is worth looking at but i dont think its the smartest move for our team. Because is very raw, chances are he wouldnt make the largest impact this year and i feel with this team and how we are aging a bit we need to win now. I love Earl Everett 2nd round- i think thats a fantastic pick, hes going to be a great player. 1st round CB should be addressed if we can get everett 2nd round, like revis houston or hall if available. I do not know anything about rocky boiman so if you could say what team he was on, stats, anything would be helpful. I also think o line needs to be addressed earlier also. Your mock is very interesting and has some good points, but i think the key positions need to be addressed first and foremost. The only WR outside of calvin johnson i would want round 1 is robert meachem- ginn is just too risky and we need to hit a homerun round 1.

I agree with you on the Ginn pick. Not a fan at all. As for the trade the Jets, I dont see them wanting Finn because they just signed Darian Barnes. But I am not a fan of Ginn and would actually be pissed if we got him or DJ.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post

[b]I think he will be a nice player. I didnt like the Moss pick cause he simply doesnt have the size. [/n]

Moss 5'8" 180
Ginn 5'11" 178 - Even worse because he's lanky.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Moss 5'8" 180
Ginn 5'11" 178 - Even worse because he's lanky.
And we have Shockey and Burress as the big, possession type receivers already. Why add onto that?
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-29-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

Quote:
And we have Shockey and Burress as the big, possession type receivers already. Why add onto that?
Burress is not a possesion receiver... The guy is a game changer. same with Shockey, although to a lesser extent since hes a TE.

If we get a guy like Dwayne Jarrett, we are gonna have monsters at receiver. Toomer's 6 foot 3, Burress is 6 foot 5, Jarrett is 6 foot 4, plus Moss's blazing speed to switch it up a little.

Look at the Eagles for instance. They dont have a CB who's over 5-10. They only have 1 DB whos over 5-10 (Brian Dawkins, 6 foot)
Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

I say we get a guy that's right in the middle 5-11 to 6-2 and between 190 and 210 with good speed and reliable hands. This draft is packed with those types of WRs. I don't understand why we'ed want another Sinorice Moss type of WR. If you follow my analogy, it's like adding Tony Hunt to the backfield. There is just no need for it.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See, my biggest problem with us taking Ginn in the first would be..we have other needs. I mean, can you truly say, even if Amani doesn't recover, that receiver is a first round need? I can't. We've got way too many other holes in our defense to even consider taking a receiver in the first day, much less the first round, doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

We can live with out a superb receiver to replace Burress and Amani, however, without a good corner we'll end up in the same frame as last year - doing well offensively and getting burnt on the defense

I'm actually a big fan of trading down to the Chargers, Bears, or Colts and perhaps picking up Joe Staley or Aaron Ross.

If we get someone like James Marten, Brandon Myles, and Durant/Bradley in the later rounds we could really take care of the needs.

Anyway you cut it though, receiver is not a first round need, I don't care how much speed Ginn brings to the table or how many points he scores, because it's not going to matter when your defense is getting beat deep or your quarterback is on his back.

Again, that's just my opinion, and you could be right, maybe we could use another burner, but at this point, if we can fill two or three holes we could be a good playoff contender this year.

Then next year we can pick up a good receiver in the first as it's looking to be pretty strong next year too.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

http://the-omniscient.atspace.com/giantsmock.html

My new mock draft.