Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

Of course Boller is not the answer, we've known that for awhile. He is what he is, a guy who can step up a play when needed, but not someone who should be relied on to be a team's starting quarterback.

I'm convinced quarterback will be addressed on the first day of the draft. I feel that one of the top 4 signal callers in the draft will be a Raven one way or another (Matt Ryan, Brian Brohm, Joe Flacco, or Chad Henne). Then we come into the season with Boller, Smith, and one of those 4 rookies. I feel that there will be a somewhat open competition, which the competition part geared more towards Kyle and Troy.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

How ridicoulus the Ravens QB situation has been since that Super Bowl win?

JC your team needs to make a strong play and move up in the draft to get Matt Ryan (if he's a franchise QB in their evaluation that is..). Give up your 2nd rounder. Give up your 1st of next year if you have to. One the trade value chart its switching 2nd rounders with KC and giving up a 5th, but the Chiefs could be blowing up the price. In any case, hope that Atlanta passes on him. Anyway, this circus needs to stop right f now...

If I was a fan of this team I would be freaking pissed off to head into the season with Troy Smith as the expected starter. Great defense, but its getting older and not enough dominant anymore to win without a real QB on the team.

BTW. Forget about damn FA veteran. The best out there is our own Daunte Culpepper, or Culpoopper as I call him at times. He cant move anymore. He cant dropback, he cant get outside (except against the Dolphins....), is a turnover machine and his decision making process makes you go "WTF!?" too many times.

BTW2. For you Sir that hates Steve McNair for taking his time to annouce his retirement: you just dont get it. You realy think Mark Brunell would help your football team!? I think this franchise just never had a real franchise QB and it may cause you to not understand at witch point you need one. Old washed up guy wont do you any good if you dont have a #1 high profile identified young guy that you thrust, build around and move foward with.
Raider_fan_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow...you just said give up this year's 2nd Round pick and next year's 1st to swap picks with Kansas City. Are you being serious right now? Matt Ryan is a good player, but he's not a dominant franchise player, he has a chance to be a franchise player, not a dominant one though. Why would we be pissed off if Troy Smith is our starter? The only negative thing about him is his height. Its not like he weighs around 300 pounds.

Baltimore: 7-4

Last edited by Yung Flippa : 04-20-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey20 View Post
Of course Boller is not the answer, we've known that for awhile. He is what he is, a guy who can step up a play when needed, but not someone who should be relied on to be a team's starting quarterback.

I'm convinced quarterback will be addressed on the first day of the draft. I feel that one of the top 4 signal callers in the draft will be a Raven one way or another (Matt Ryan, Brian Brohm, Joe Flacco, or Chad Henne). Then we come into the season with Boller, Smith, and one of those 4 rookies. I feel that there will be a somewhat open competition, which the competition part geared more towards Kyle and Troy.
I wish you get Ryan and plug him in at starter from Day 1. No open competition waste of time BS. You put his face on a big poster and say to your players: "This is our guy. Now lets go play some football and win games".
Old 04-20-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Flippa View Post
Wow...you just said give up this year's 2nd Round pick and next year's 1st to swap picks with Kansas City. Are you being serious right now? Matt Ryan is a good player, but he's not a dominant franchise player, he has a chance to be a franchise player, not a dominant one though. Why would we be pissed off if Troy Smith is our starter? The only negative thing about him is his height. Its not like he weighs around 300 pounds.
Im just saying do whatever it takes to get Ryan if you think he's the solution. Bottom line: do whatever it takes to find one and move foward with it! Tell me, how many years this franchise has lost looking for a QB? Like half a decade or something?

If Troy Smith was a potential franchise QB he would have been given a chance to start much earlier last year. What do you think about that?

BTW the weight thing about Russell is total BS and thats a fact.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Matt Ryan isn't going to be a starter from Day 1. No team in the league would just throw him our there. He has to learn the playbook and the speed of the game from the sideline for at least the first half of the season.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider_fan_Canada View Post
If Troy Smith was a potential franchise QB he would have been given a chance to start much earlier last year. What do you think about that?
Because Brian Billick loved Kyle Boller. That's the only reason why Troy wasn't starting over Boller. How come Jamarcus didn't start earlier? Because coaches want rookie QB's to learn from the sideline.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Quote:
Matt Ryan isn't going to be a starter from Day 1. No team in the league would just throw him our there. He has to learn the playbook and the speed of the game from the sideline for at least the first half of the season.
If he's there from Day 1 why not? He's from Boston College he must be smart enough. Others have done it before and now things have to go much faster in the NFL. Good defense, good running game, decent protection and the guy doesnt hold out and waste your and his f time.... Go man!

I dont have anything against Troy Smith, but I highly doubt the Ravens think he's the future. From that perspective they should not plan or count on him, then be aggressive in the draft to get a guy that has a real chance to be what they need. Not drafting a QB early at all and fooling around about this another year would be totaly unacceptable.

BTW Russell would have started much earlier if only he had a training camp.

Last edited by Raider_fan_Canada : 04-20-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Tom Brady? No.
Carson Palmer? No.
None of the top QB's in the league have started from Day 1.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Quote:
Tom Brady? No.
Carson Palmer? No.
None of the top QB's in the league have started from Day 1.
Peyton Manning did. BTW its not that much about starting from Day 1. I dont have a fix about that. Im just saying that the issue has to be addressed loud and clear.

I will leave it to this. Looking foward to draft day and see what your team does since Im very interested in what goes on all around the league. I hope Ryan goes to the Falcons btw since its the NFC....

Last edited by Raider_fan_Canada : 04-20-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:01 AM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Troj2man hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Yeah that would be way too much to give up. Our best bet at trading up is if Ryan falls to #6. That would the only reasonable trade to make. The others would just cost way too much. With that said, I don't see the Ravens trading up for Ryan. If he falls to #8 he's the pick. if not we go BPA and get one of Henne, Brohm, or Flacco in round 2 or even trade back into the late round 1 for one of them.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan is not a top prospect or a franchise QB, we would look like retards if we traded all that for him. Flacco in the 2nd is better value then Ryan at 8.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

While I agree that I do not want to trade up for him, Matt Ryan is a franchise quarterback and I'd love to have him at 8.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

before i comment on this, let me say: i hate matt ryan. He in my mind, is not a franchise QB. however, it is looking more and more like he will be the choice if he is available. I would hate the choice, but im not the GM.

that said, i think that kyle boller has more potential in his right arm then matt ryan has in hsi entire body. boller is a prototypical QB. i have always said that, if he ever had a proper QB coach, he would be a top flight QB in the NFL. ill stick to it, in hope that cam cameron can develop either boller or troy smith into a starting caliber QB without having to waste atop 10 pick on ryan.

smith at this point is an enigma. He showed alot of promise last year when given playing time, and has the ability to unseat boller as the starter. he won a heisman trophy, has excellent intangibles, and has very few questions other then his height. yet for some reaosn, people dont believe in him.

i think boller could be the answer, but he needs work. troy smith could also be the answer, he needs work as well. Matt ryan is not the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is a Raider fan trying to tell us how a team should be run exactly?

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
before i comment on this, let me say: i hate matt ryan. He in my mind, is not a franchise QB. however, it is looking more and more like he will be the choice if he is available. I would hate the choice, but im not the GM.

that said, i think that kyle boller has more potential in his right arm then matt ryan has in hsi entire body. boller is a prototypical QB. i have always said that, if he ever had a proper QB coach, he would be a top flight QB in the NFL. ill stick to it, in hope that cam cameron can develop either boller or troy smith into a starting caliber QB without having to waste atop 10 pick on ryan.

smith at this point is an enigma. He showed alot of promise last year when given playing time, and has the ability to unseat boller as the starter. he won a heisman trophy, has excellent intangibles, and has very few questions other then his height. yet for some reaosn, people dont believe in him.

i think boller could be the answer, but he needs work. troy smith could also be the answer, he needs work as well. Matt ryan is not the answer.
Kyle Boller has already reached his potential. He's a career backup and will never be anything more. If Ryan and Boller were in the same draft, 32 out of 32 teams would take Ryan. He has the size, intangibles, arm strength, and last but not least he's a winner. Ryan was 25-7 in the 32 games he started at Boston College. He did this with little to no help on either side of the ball.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troj2man View Post
Kyle Boller has already reached his potential. He's a career backup and will never be anything more. If Ryan and Boller were in the same draft, 32 out of 32 teams would take Ryan. He has the size, intangibles, arm strength, and last but not least he's a winner. Ryan was 25-7 in the 32 games he started at Boston College. He did this with little to no help on either side of the ball.
i really think you might be wrong there...boller has better arm strength BY FAR, IMO boller has one of the 3 strongest arms in the league, boller has the same prototypical size and much better athleticism (4.6 speed) and coming out of Cal, Boller had excelllent intangibles as well. Lets not forget the QB class that Boller was in. carson palmer, byron leftwich, kyle boller, and rex grossman all went in the 1st round that year. ryan has virtually no competition at the top, therefore i feel he is being overrated. as prospects, i would take boller over ryan in a heartbeat. Boller hasnt come anywhere near his potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Troy Smith so much. I'm not a raven's fan obviously, but its semi-depressing to see a guy with so much talent be told he's not the man for the job.

I'm not saying Troy Smith should be automatically awarded the job. And I'm not saying Troy Smith is the best option. But he certainly should have a chance to win the starting job (and if he goes up against boller & ryan I think he will win it).

Also, I'm pretty big on Matt Ryan too. He seems to have it all. I don't get why people "hate" him. He's got a nice arm, good release and decent footwork.

Also I was thinking about this, and it would be pretty funny if Ravens took Matt Ryan and Troy Smith won the starting job next year. Would be weirdly similar to Derek Anderson (also a really late draft pick) winning the job over brady quinn =P
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Quote:
Boller hasnt come anywhere near his potential.
He's heading into his 6th season. His potential has already been reached. What makes you think he'll get any better?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Regardless of any rookie QB we may or may not select, theres no way he would factor into any starting plans for this season barring injuries.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:26 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
He's heading into his 6th season. His potential has already been reached. What makes you think he'll get any better?
Drew Brees

Not to mention his detriment, Coach Billick, is no longer in the equation.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I like Troy Smith so much. I'm not a raven's fan obviously, but its semi-depressing to see a guy with so much talent be told he's not the man for the job.

I'm not saying Troy Smith should be automatically awarded the job. And I'm not saying Troy Smith is the best option. But he certainly should have a chance to win the starting job (and if he goes up against boller & ryan I think he will win it).

Also, I'm pretty big on Matt Ryan too. He seems to have it all. I don't get why people "hate" him. He's got a nice arm, good release and decent footwork.

Also I was thinking about this, and it would be pretty funny if Ravens took Matt Ryan and Troy Smith won the starting job next year. Would be weirdly similar to Derek Anderson (also a really late draft pick) winning the job over brady quinn =P
Troy Smith will have every chance to be the starting QB. It's either going to be him or Boller as the starter. I think he can beat out Boller for the starting job also.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Drew Brees

Not to mention his detriment, Coach Billick, is no longer in the equation.
Drew Brees became a probowl QB in his 3rd year as a starter. The only thing that Brees and Boller have in common is that their last names start with a B.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Drew Brees became a probowl QB in his 3rd year as a starter. The only thing that Brees and Boller have in common is that their last names start with a B.
Cam did wonders with Brees and who's to say he can't do the same with Boller? Look regardless of who is the starter we need to support them. This is shaping up to be a pivotal season for us and we the fans are going to be a huge part of it. Lets get united and support our team as a whole!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-21-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Troj2man
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Cam did wonders with Brees and who's to say he can't do the same with Boller? Look regardless of who is the starter we need to support them. This is shaping up to be a pivotal season for us and we the fans are going to be a huge part of it. Lets get united and support our team as a whole!
I'm with you on supporting any player who wears the black and purple. All 53 of those players are important to this team. As fans it's our job to support them.