Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Drafting a QB....

Think that it is in your teams best interests to draft Quinn or Russell if they fall. I was wondering what Vikings fans think however?

The only arguement against drafting a QB is that you just drafted one in the second round last year. However that was a stupid pick since he should have been a 4th rounder or later....

I have seen every game T-Jack QBed and he sucked. I know that rookie QBs struggle (Alex Smith and to a lesser extent, Eli Manning did), but T-Jack doesnt have the pedigree and I wasnt high on the guy after College.

I think Jackson is tradable if you want to go that route, you can get a 4th rounder for him which isnt a huge loss

I think that you are in a position to get Brady Quinn in a big steal and it would be a huge, franchise wrecking decision if you guys pass on him (or Russell if he is in the same position)
Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually T-Jack was projected as a 3rd round pick, but he sucked but he didnt have very much help last year other than from Chester taylor.... anyways i wouldnt trade T-jack not yet i would keep him let him compete. Now say we had Both Quinn and Russel at #7 high unlikely but if so i must say i would Take Quinn. I like russel alot but if we are going to take another Qb we need to take the more sure Deal in Quinn rather than The Guy with the bigger bust potential
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Think that it is in your teams best interests to draft Quinn or Russell if they fall. I was wondering what Vikings fans think however?

The only arguement against drafting a QB is that you just drafted one in the second round last year. However that was a stupid pick since he should have been a 4th rounder or later....
Not 4th or later it was a little high but not that much.

I have seen every game T-Jack QBed and he sucked. I know that rookie QBs struggle (Alex Smith and to a lesser extent, Eli Manning did), but T-Jack doesnt have the pedigree and I wasnt high on the guy after College.
He had what 2 games, with his first being at Lambeau. Not fair to judge based off that with a team that had already givin up.

I think Jackson is tradable if you want to go that route, you can get a 4th rounder for him which isnt a huge loss
Not really tradeable. He was a second rounder, going down 2 rounds after one year(2 games started) isn't good

I think that you are in a position to get Brady Quinn in a big steal and it would be a huge, franchise wrecking decision if you guys pass on him (or Russell if he is in the same position)
Quinn is a guy that could be great, but you can't give up on a second rounder after that short of a time. For all we know Jackson could be a probowler. Yes there is a chance they draft him but it's a big risk to take.
My response in bold.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jackson was hardly a second rounder though. if I remember correctly, he was the last pick of the 2nd round... Thats basically a 3rd rounder
Old 02-27-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im with the green bay fan. Be fair its like 7.30am and i havent been to sleep so forgive me jesus.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 AM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

jerthemessiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Rick Mirer
Old 02-27-2007, 06:22 AM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be all for drafting a QB. I would prefer Quinn though as he seems more polished then Russell. If we did draft a QB I would want us to cut Bollinger and bring in a veteran like Garcia or maybe even Bledsoe. Our situation going into next year as it stands is frightening with just Jackson and Bollinger and I think this team needs more competition at QB. Who else is worthy of the #7 pick that could make an impact on this team??
Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Gaines Adams is gone, I'm all for getting Quinn. But only if Adams is gone.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerthemessiah View Post
Rick Mirer
Or Joe Montana
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
I would be all for drafting a QB. I would prefer Quinn though as he seems more polished then Russell. If we did draft a QB I would want us to cut Bollinger and bring in a veteran like Garcia or maybe even Bledsoe. Our situation going into next year as it stands is frightening with just Jackson and Bollinger and I think this team needs more competition at QB. Who else is worthy of the #7 pick that could make an impact on this team??
Bollinger makes less than Garcia is going to make and you can't spend #7 money, a 2nd round pick money and a big name F/A money at the same position. Plus I hate Garcia as QB option and if Childress brings in anymore Eagles castoffs I'm going to hurl.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:

Quinn is a great college QB and I predict will be a Pro Bowl QB within 3 years.
So if we draft him I'd be very happy. But I'm not quite understanding the logic in trading away a Qb that we gave up 2 really good picks for.
I'd much prefer Jackson / Bollinger starting next year without putting the pressure on him to start from day 1 (basically exactly how the 3 #1's did this year...wait 6 weeks or so before determining if he should start).
It didn't hurt Daunte to wait a year.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Brady Quinn is anywhere as good this year as Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart, or Vince Young were last year, we'll be in a good situation.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we may not end up drafting a QB...

Quote:
Word within NFL circles is that the Vikings haven't backed off in their pursuit of Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub and will offer their second-round pick in April's draft and an offensive player -- perhaps quarterback Brad Johnson.
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nfl/index.html
Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
jerthemessiah
Rookie

jerthemessiah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
Or Joe Montana
Montana was a 3rd rounder. Mirer was the last big overhyped thing at QB to come out of Notre Dame.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I don't think this article is worth much as it's all rumors without naming any source. Plus why would Brad Johnson hold any trade value right now ? NFLNetwork has been saying all day / night that he's going to be released before friday.
Smoot will be too. He's scheduled to make 4 mill in bonus money and we end up saving like 400 grand for both if they are released before friday.
I pray we stay away from Ashlie Lelie....though I'd do backflips if we actually traded for Darrell Jackson. I think the Deion Branch trade last year pissed him off. I don't have anything more than a gut feeling on that though.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Yea im hoping we stay far far away from lelie all we need is another reciever that cant catch. . . Im not sure the Darrel Jackson trade is realistic i dont think seattle wants to trade with us after last season unless the wounds have healed and they have moved on but i dont think so i dont see seattle giving us a reasonable deal unless there desperate to deal Darrel Jackson
Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the perspective of Brad Childress:

I have been big on TJack since seeing him show incredible promise in the pre-season, and think he might become something special, but if Brady Quinn is there at the 7th overall pick, I take him without hesitation whatsoever.

So I spent a 2nd round pick on Tarvaris Jackson, so I even traded up to do so - who cares. No one is going to remember that 5 years from now, but they will remember success, who my quarterback is, and whether or not I'm still the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. To have the rare opportunity at a Brady Quinn is one I can't afford passing up: Quinn is everything I could ask for at the league's most critical position, be it physical attributes, mental attributes, character, or intangibles. He's the sterling face of a franchise for a franchise that desperately has sought it for some time, he's the guy I can attach to the hip in what could be my only tenure as a head coach, and his success will utlimately prove to be the drawing power that can help the Vikings land a stadium deal (and thereby ensure me invaluable grace in the eyes of the team's owner).

Quinn will take the mantle of leader of my Minnesota Vikings, setting the tone for everyone else just as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning do, and will help us contend for postseason success annually. If he's there at the 7th overall pick, I send in my selection immediately and try to get him signed as soon as possible so he can compete for the starting position from day one. If he beats out Tarvaris Jackson, so be it; I'll have the benefit of two playmaking quarterbacks on my roster who are pushing each other every day, and maybe I'll trade Jackson in a few years as a farming project with interest (see Matt Schaub).
Old 02-28-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
THIZZorDIE
Veteran

THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.THIZZorDIE is a cocksman.

Quote:
Jackson was hardly a second rounder though. if I remember correctly, he was the last pick of the 2nd round... Thats basically a 3rd rounder
If he was selected in the second round, he's not a second rounder? O yeah, thats right...
THIZZorDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:31 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

I posted this elsewhere, so most of you guys can bypass this...but
with the trade today between Detroit and Denver, the Lions really have
no need to stay in their current draft spot. Joe Thomas (who would've been
the likely pick) isn't neccesary now that they have Foster to play one of the OT spots where Backus will play the other.
With Joe Thomas now very likely to end up at 5 (if anyone trades into that slot it'd be to take CJ or AD) the Cardinals are probably out of the trading picture.
Oakland is rumored to be very interested in Jeff Garcia (why I'm not sure, because his arm is suited for the WCO and Oakland has long been a team that's implemented a vertical passing game) which, if that happens (and that would mean Davis still has faith in Andrew Walters)...Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn might both be available at 3 (just 5 picks away from where we select).
...who cares ? you say. Actually the trade today , and this announcement from Oakland means that CJ is all but sealed as the #1 or #2 pick. And that
the likelyhood of the best player at our spot will be a QB.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

They are trying to trade Foster, I think they still need OL, and Foster might have moved to RG anyways.

Any chance the Vikings trade to #3 with the Browns and draft CJ? Give T-Jack all the weapons he needs to succeed then evaluate him.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

All these mock drafts now have Brady Quinn going to the Vikes. I just don't see it happening, even if Quinn happens to fall to 7. I expect Childress to pass on Quinn.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Just admit you don't like Quinn and that it has nothing to do with Childress.
Quinn completed 58 of 61 passes, showed good footwork and arm strength.. Logic says that he won't be available at 7...anyways, but if he is...he will be the pick.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think any of us can really speculate considering the secrecy surrounding Childress HQ. Nobody really knows whats going as he doesnt release any information. Actually, what am I saying, speculate away...it's why we're here...
Old 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

I have trouble thinking that Childress will pass on Quinn when he was one of the only coaches at his pro-day. I think, or at least I hope, Childress is serious about getting him.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

lol...that's funny.

BTW who is that soccer player in your sig ? that's not Freddie Adu is it ?

...and the Vikes and Cleveland sent more than 1 guy to scout Quinn's pro day...if Cleveland decides to go with Peterson / Branch or Russell (if he falls)
then there's no other team that will take a QB...not because of Quinn but
because they've already taken their franchise signal callers and have to much invested in them to spend another top 6 pick on a QB.
1- Oakland Just took Andrew Walter 2 years ago with a much higher 2nd round pick than was Tarvaris Jackson...yet the Raiders understand that
franchise QB's like Russell and Quinn aren't to be passed on. If the Raiders
make yet another draft day blunder and bypass QB they'll go Calvin Johnson
which would be BPA.

2- Detroit spent F/A money last year on McCown and Kitna...Kitna finished
in the top 11 of QB's for passing yards and comp %...Martz likes him...
but the real reason they go Defense here is they lost Dre Bly, picked up
a 2nd tier RB to match with Kevin Jones and Matt Millen has been pressured
to go defense ...just as he did last year. Calvin Johnson is a better "outside
shot" to be picked here than a QB...my guess is Joe Thomas or a DE goes here.

3- Cleveland Romeo Crennel has ties to Charlie Weiss...but freinships only go
so far, Crennell isn't going to pick a QB (IMO) when there is such a need
to take a RB. Rueben Droghns forces QB's to play better than they have to
because no one respects Droughns as a runner...safteies and corners play up
LB's run blitz more often and Cleveland struggles on offense.
Braylon Edwards and K2 are very good...but without a running attack they're
very limited..plus Derrick Anderson is decent and Charlie Frye was a draft
pick the entire staff was high on.....they'll take Peterson (AD) and give the
Browns the RB they've been missing since......ummm....Ernest Byner? or
Kevin Mack?

4- Tampa Bay just signed Jeff Garcia and has Gradkowski and Simms
The Bucs D is old and unless Calvin Johnson falls to them, they'll go D.
D-Line first then probably S as Ronde Barber has hinted at following Tiki's
lead and retireing at this season end... their pick is between CJ/Adams/Anderson.

5- Arizona just took Leinart last year
There's zero chance they take a QB....but they might be sweet talked
into trading down from here..if Carolina or Jax or a Baltimore / Chicago
wanted to trade up...I think it might happen. If there's atrade to be
made it'd either be here or with the Redskins. Joe Thomas (should he fall)
makes sense for both the Cards and SKins....if he doesn't, they both need DE's too. Look for which ever end is left to be taken.

6- Washington just handed the reigns over Jason Campbell and is still
overpaying Mark Brunell to back him up. They tried signing Leonard Little
but weren't going to overpay to get him...I wouldn't be shocked to see Dan
Snyder move up or down. If Joe Thomas is here..he's the no brainer...but
they're desperate for a RDE ...Adam Carriker or Jammal Anderson would be
perfect fits here.

which leaves us at 7 to grab the BPA...in this case it's easily Quinn.
If not , we'll justify the Tank Williams release by taking another big time saftey in Landry.