Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.
Default Draft Grades

Howd your team do?
Early I know but its the offseason.

Oakland Raiders
1.Darren McFadden RB Arkansas:We already had a strong running game but McFadden only makes it better.He can catch,run,and throw the ball.The Raiders also asked him if can return kicks so he may do that as well.I still feel that we could traded down though and gotten more picks.Which I think would have been better but Al asked for to much.I give this pick a B+.

2.Trade for Deangel Hall CB: We got him for a good deal.Hes a great corner. But its another move we didnt need to make.He also isnt cheap.he doesnt fill a need (imo) just upgrades a position of strength.I still feel we could have put that 2nd rounder to more use.B-

3.Trade for Mario Henderson:This was a horrible trade and the pick was a reach.He showed some promise in the preseason though and is supposed to at least be competing for the starting job at RT. D+

4a.Tyvon Branch DB : This was a bad pick.DB is the last thing we need. I understand he could return for us but we could have taken someone later in the draft. D+

4b. Arman Schields: We passed on Tony Hills for this guy.Now were supposed to depend on Kwame Harris to protect Jamarcus. Merriman should be pretty happy right now.At least Jared Allen is gone.On top of that this guy may not make the team.And now here we are again without a good NB. D+

6. Trevor Scott DE Buffalo: We finally go DE.An actual position of need. Ive heard good things about this guy. A-

7. Chaz Schillens WR: this guy probably wont make the team.Radovich could have though and maybe two or three other guys. D-

Overall I would give this draft a C.The Hall trade was ok.The McFadden and Scott picks were good. but the rest of the draft certainly wasnt very good.

Last edited by doingthisinsteadofwork : 04-27-2008 at 06:14 PM.
doingthisinsteadofwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty much agreed on this one... I like the Chaz pick a little more because he has amazing measurables--all the physical tools to be a huge threat in the NFL. But Tyvon in the 4th? Shields in the 4th? We could have had a NT like Ahtyba Rubin or offensive lineman like Nicks, Hills, etc. We could have addressed both positions. Instead, we get a DB and a WR. If the Raiders needed a KR so bad, stick McFadden or Hall back there. Those two picks hurt...

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kansas City Chiefs:

1a.Glenn Dorsey, DT: WOW!Never in my dreams did I expect him to be there at 5.he gives KC the prescense in the middle we have not had in a long timeA+++

1b.Branden Albert this was almost too good to be true.To land the premiere defensive player in this draft then still land the guy we were targeting at 5 with the 15th pick A++

2. Brandon Flowers, CB: Someone must really like KC for us to somehow land Flowers in the 2nd.Perfect fir in the Cover 2 system and will start right away A++

3a. Jamaal Charles, RB: af first was not a fan of this pick but the more I think about it the more I like it.LJ can wear defenders down then bring Charles in to break a long one A

3b.Brad Cottam, TE: Not a fan of this pick to be honest.we could have gotten him in the 4th IMHO.Should have gone OL or DE here C

3c.DaJuan Morgan, S: solid pick puts a lot of pressure on Pollard to improve this year or Morgan will take over B+

4. William Franklin WR: size speed and a great compliment to Bowe may start right away B

5.Brandon Carr, CB: don't know much about him but have heard good things about Carr so I'll give him a chance B-

6a. Barry Richardson OT/G: will more then likely move to guard here but is big and should help out the run game B+

6b. Kevin Robinson WR/KR: solid pick the more I read on him the more I like should help on offense and in the return game

7a. Brian Johnston DE: a steal at this point IMHO.From reading his bio he sounds alot like JA A

7b.Micheal Merritt TE: WHO? F

Overall: A

Last edited by T-RICH49 : 04-27-2008 at 07:03 PM.
T-RICH49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots:

1. ILB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee - Able to acquire him a bit later than #7 and picked up an extra third round pick. B

2. CB Terrence Wheatley, Colorado - Pretty good prospect who fits the scheme but was a bit of a reach. B-

3. OLB Shawn Crable, Michigan - A decent enough value and someone who projects well into Vrabel's spot. B+

3. QB Kevin O'Connell, San Diego St. - Tom Brady has lacked a suitable backup and Kevin has potential. C

4. CB Jonathan Wilhite, Auburn - Not the biggest fan of his because he doesn't add anything Wheatley lacks. C-

5. WR Matt Slater, UCLA - Versatile player who adds some special teams value as well and should contribute. C

6. ILB Bo Ruud, Nebraska - A few guys I would have preferred but is a decent value and project pick. C+

The Patriots also picked up a 2009 second-round pick from the Chargers via trade, so that adds to the value of the draft.

Overall Grade: B-
Old 04-27-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only reason I can find to be unhappy with the Colts draft is Mike Hart. Other than that, I'll reserve my judgement on a grade.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
Kansas City Chiefs:

1.Glenn Dorsey, DT: WOW!Never in my dreams did I expect him to be there at 5.he gives KC the prescense in the middle we have not had in a long time then to land Branden Albert this was almost too good to be true.To land the premiere defensive player in this draft then still land the guy we were targeting at 5 with the 15th pick A++

2. Brandon Flowers, CB: Someone must really like KC for us to somehow land Flowers in the 2nd.Perfect fir in the Cover 2 system and will start right away A++

3a. Jamaal Charles, RB: af first was not a fan of this pick but the more I think about it the more I like it.LJ can wear defenders down then bring Charles in to break a long one A

3b.Brad Cottam, TE: Not a fan of this pick to be honest.we could have gotten him in the 4th IMHO.Should have gone OL or DE here C

3c.DaJuan Morgan, S: solid pick puts a lot of pressure on Pollard to improve this year or Morgan will take over B+

4. William Franklin WR: size speed and a great compliment to Bowe may start right away B

5.Brandon Carr, CB: don't know much about him but have heard good things about Carr so I'll give him a chance B-

6a. Barry Richardson OT/G: will more then likely move to guard here but is big and should help out the run game B+

6b. Kevin Robinson WR/KR: solid pick the more I read on him the more I like should help on offense and in the return game

7a. Brian Johnston DE: a steal at this point IMHO.From reading his bio he sounds alot like JA A

You forgot Branden Albert in all of this.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 PM    (permalink
EtrnlDarkness

Titans draft
1. Chris Johnson - B- - He's growing on me
2. James Jones - B- - Solid pick, just pisses me off we didn't trade up for one of the receivers
3. Craig Stevens- C+ - ehhh, a good blocking tight end is good but, ehhh.
4. William Hayes - F - Don't even know who the hell he is.
5. Lavelle Hawkins - C - He's not going to develop into a goto guy. He's more of what we already have.
6. Stanford Keglar- C+ Keep the special teams good
7. Cary Williams - B+ - We've hit with our last 2 round 7 corners (Hill's nothing special but better than most 7th rounders). Hopefully the same here.

Overall C+
Old 04-27-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtrnlDarkness View Post
Titans draft

4. William Hayes - F - Don't even know who the hell he is.

Overall C+
classic quote
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GIANTS

1: Kenny Philips- Safety from the "U" who brings excellent talent and character to our team. Excellent value and HUGE need. A

2: Terrell Thomas- Nice CB who is well coached from USC and Pete. Physical with long arms who was definately a "Spags pick" ala Jay Alford last year. We need talent and mainly youth at CB anyway, but perhaps a slight reach. B+

3. "Super" Mario Manningham- WR from Ann Arbor who is no doubt a playmaker. Has some character issues, but so did Ahmad Bradshaw, that payed off pretty well, huh? IF he can keep his head on straight, it's a major steal deserving of an A, but we'll see, for now he's undecided on my part.

4. Bryan Kehl- a LB from BYU(made jballa happy) who is a VERY smart kid and good tackler. Added some LB depth which is nice. Don't know much about him, but I trust Reese. I'm not too excited about this pick, so I'll give it just a B

5- Jonathan Goff- A MLB from Vandy who I felt was a MAJOR steal here. Hard hitter, nice ethic and character. Love this kid who is more depth at LB, a nice special teams player and perhaps a future replacement for Pierce? A-

6a- Andre' Woodson- Another Wildcat QB on our roster, for now. I think he's a day 1 talent, but mechanics and poor senior bowl dropped him, ALOT. I love hefty lefty, and don't care for Wright or Carr, so I like it, but it depends who makes the team, as I feel Andre' will. I liked him all through college, but it wasn't a need at all. Ah, what the hell A

6b- Robert Henderson- A DE I never heard of from Southern Miss. He may be good, but I have no clue. All I know, is he's a late round DL, and he's not Eric Foster. F

All in all, an excellent Giants draft resulting in a total A- or B+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-RICH49 View Post
Kansas City Chiefs:

1a.Glenn Dorsey, DT: WOW!Never in my dreams did I expect him to be there at 5.he gives KC the prescense in the middle we have not had in a long timeA+++

1b.Branden Albert this was almost too good to be true.To land the premiere defensive player in this draft then still land the guy we were targeting at 5 with the 15th pick A++

This is the person that was complaining excessively a month ago because the Chiefs weren't doing anything in the off-season.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GIANTS

1. Kenny Phillips- Falls into our laps we scoop him up. Giants lost Gibril to the Raiders, we pick up a safety probably better than Gibril even now. Although i think his skills make him more fit to be a SS, I think he starts FS from day one and does an above average job. A/A+

2. Terrell Thomas- A good fit for our scheme, he can blitz well, tackles decently, has nice long arms and height. Good for at least a nickel or dime.B-/B

3. SUPER Mario Manningham- we are apparently really high on the guy. Has some character issues but we have a great locker room and staff to support him. Gets great seperation, decent hands, runs good routes, great after the catch. Probably going to be a reserve if Plax or Toomer get hurt. B+

4. Bryan Kehl- could play SLB or WLB in our system, at worst will be a very good special teamer. B/B-

5. Jonathan Goff- brought in to eventually replace Antonio Pierce i presume, he is intelligent and constantly improving upon every year, close to 100 tackles two years in a row, is a pretty good blitzer.B/B-

6a. Andre Woodson- very very good value here, he has his faults but overall he could develop into a very good backup and maybe a starter years from now.B

6b. Robert Henderson- a dominant pass rusher, probably ideal for our ace package of 4 DEs on 3rd and long. Maybe a diamond in the rough?C+

Overall id give us a solid B/B+

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 04-27-2008 at 07:15 PM.
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM    (permalink
MooshooGawd
Rookie

MooshooGawd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not going to grade each pick. There are a lot of guys that we drafted that I've never watched myself. So I'll holdoff from judging. I will say that my initial reaction to this draft is better than my initial feelings about our draft last year. And last years draft turned out to be pretty damn productive.

Overall, I'll give us a solid B.

Bengals

1.) Keith Rivers - LB - USC

Ugh. Everyone knew that New Orleans was going to trade up and get Ellis from us. Everyone! How could our FO not pull the trigger? Hell, we could have given then the same exact deal that New Orleans offered! We had two 3rd rounders! Argh! Being a fan of this team is sooooo hard sometimes. Anyway, Keith Rivers is a decent pick. I don't like this talk about moving him to play MLB. The guy was an All-American playing on the outside; keep him there. I do like Rivers more than Harvey and McClevin. We know have three studs at LB in Keith Rivers, Odell Thurman, and Ahmad Brooks. Would have loved to have taken Ellis, but Rivers isn't too bad either.

2.) Jerome Simpson - WR - Coastal Carolina

Don't know anything about this guy. Apparently he's fast, he's got good hands, and he can make plays. With or without Chad Johnson, the Bengals needed to get deeper at WR. You could line a broom out as a wideout and I'm convinced that Carson Palmer could make it a Pro-Bowler. The Bengals apparently did a lot of research on him, and Mike Lombardi praised the pick on the NFL Network. So we'll see...

3.) Pat Sims - DT - Auburn

This guy had better be a stud for us. This is the pick that it would have taken to trade up for Ellis. So, basically, the Bengals are saying that Rivers/Sims > Ellis. Okay, I'll buy that. I really don't like Pat's attitude, but he's shown flashes. He'll get the opportunity to see the field pretty quickly. The Bengals needed to address a DT.

3.) Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida

This guy is fast, he was captain of the Gators, but the only thing that worries me is the lack of success that Florida receivers usually have in the NFL. But, like I said, with or without Chad, the Bengals needed to get deeper at WR. Chris Henry is gone, Chad is being a *****, and TJ is in his final year of his contract.

4.) Anthony Collins - OT - Kansas

Pretty good value here. The Bengals needed to address their O-Line, and their coaches say that he can play everywhere. Can't argue with that. Our line was really beat up last year, so it's a good pick.

5.) Jason Shirley - DT - Fresno St.

The only thing I don't like about this pick is that with Shirley's past, it's ammo for people who want to keep playing the 'Bungle' card. However, I've like Shirley a lot for months. I'm really excited we got him. If he's good then everyone will forget about his issues...if he's a bust, then he's a 5th rounder and we can just cut ties.

6.) Corey Lynch - S - App. St.

The 'Wolverine Killer'! He's the one that blocked Michigans field goal to upset the Wolverines. This kid looks like he'll be a great gunner and contributer to special teams.

6.) Matt Sherry - TE - Villanova

It's hard to find anything about this guy. Mayock and Kiper both seemed to like him, and said that he caught everything thrown his way. Not sure how he'll see the field though with our current TEs.

7.) Angelo Craig - DE - UC

It's good to have a Cincinnati Bearcat on our team. He's undersized, so I'd imagine we'll play him at LB. Could play special teams, I guess.

7.) Mario Urrutia - WR - UL

Big, big wideout. He had a really good sophomore year, so hopefully he can bring that fire and make the team.
MooshooGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the Giants draft discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Let's break it all down:

1. Kenny Phillips
-it pained me to see Jenkins and Cason off the board. At that point in the draft, I liked Phillips with the 31 over anyone. Ive always been skeptical on him. When i saw him, I personally thought that his flaws were very correctable, and felt that most of his issues were because he tried to makeup for other's mistakes which made him look worse in the end. However, you hear scouts and they tell you he's not very good. Me personally, I feel that he will be a very good player for us. He'll trust his teammates, and he will have a dominant pass rush in front of him. I feel he'll revert back to his sophomore form, as most of his mistakes were mental and were due to a lack of confidence in his teammates. He should be our SS, he can stop the run, blitz, and cover the TE in man coverage. Thats just what we need.

2. Terrell Thomas
Im unsure of this one. Id feel a lot better on it if he had a better 40 time. He sounds the part, and when you put on the film he looks the part, but injury concerns and a slow 40 and hip movement scare me. I wanted an elite CB from this draft, I don't know if Thomas is that kind of guy. He can move to FS and be a dominant FS, but we drafted him as a CB. We'll see how this one goes, this was a gamble.

3. Mario Manningham
Absolutely love it. His character concerns are way overrated. He should be Toomer's heir on the left side. For a late 3rd, excellent value and im really happy with this pick. Great pick. This spells the beginning of the end for Sinorice. This pick indicates we're hoping Manningham will take over for Toomer, and entrench Steve Smith in the slot. That leaves no room for Sinorice. This is a wakeup call for him. Either step it up, or good bye. I have a feeling the latter will come true, as ive seen nothing from him to make me believe he'll make the leap we've been waiting for.

4. Bryan Kehl
Ive said all along all we needed was a depth LB on the weakside. He's just that. Great instincts, great character, he'll be serviceable behind Wilkinson. He fits with what we want, high character leaders with smarts and good production. I like it.

5. Jonathan Goff
Absolutely LOVE this pick. He's a younger Antonio Pierce. He'll be our eventual MIKE when Pierce has to hang it up. And he'll learn under Pierce too. Great player, the sledgehammer type of MIKE we need in our scheme, and has great intelligence, leadership, and studies a ton of film. He's PERFECT. Absolutely love him. We stole him. We're so stacked at LB now.

6. Andre Woodson
Believe it or not, when i projected the qb talent in this draft, I rated Woodson #2. I liked him that much. There was no way he shouldve fell so far. But he did, and we potentially land a solid back up to Eli. This pick is great for several reasons.

-It gives us a quality developmental backup to Eli
-it could mean we get to cut Carr in PS
-No more Anthony Wright
-if he does pan out, imagine if he does which I personally feel is possible, we now have a very valuable trading commodity 2 to 3 years down the road. And for a 6th round pick, we invested barely anything for what could be a potentially a great trading commodity. Can't lose with that.

6. Robert Henderson
.....who?

Overall, I really like this draft class. Once again, Reese did what we wanted him to do: he addressed needs in the right order, got high character quality guys, and added depth. We might not have any stars in this draft, but we have a lot of solid guys, and thats what wins championships. Only questionable pick was in round 2, but even if that doesn't pan out, you have to like what Reese did here.

I wouldve liked to have seen him be more aggressive early and grab Mike Jenkins, but hey what can you do. He seems to like to stand pat with his picks. One thing i did like was i felt we needed to address CB and Safety within the first 2 rounds. He did just that. Now the real question is, did we get the good Kenny Phillips or the bad one? And did we reach on a subpar CB? Those questions we won't know the answers to until the season starts.

Overall i give it a solid B for now.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2. CB Terrence Wheatley, Colorado - Pretty good prospect who fits the scheme but was a bit of a reach. B-

That was one of the worst picks in the draft, lol.

I watched Will Franklin absolutely destroy this clown. Huge reach for a player that was not going to get taken that early and has some character concerns? B-???
Old 04-27-2008, 07:38 PM    (permalink
BufFan71
Pro Bowler

BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1.Leodis McKelvin-A+-- gives us a corner who SHOULD end up being a lock down corner.

2. James Hardy-B+-- finally gives us a big wr, good hands, good speed, a HUGE threat in the endzone, something we havent had since Moulds.

3. Chris Ellis-B-- good pickup, becomes a situational pass rusher, can get to the QB

4. Reggie Corner-C-- gives us another corner, greer and mcgee's contracts are up after this year, hes a ballhawk who isnt afraid to get physical.

4. Derek Fine- D-- i was hoping to get a tru pass recieving TE in the draft, or Possibly Martellus Bennet, but those damn Cowboys, always ruining everything for buffalo fans

5. Alvin Bowman- B-- extremely athletic, should be a great special teamer, and possibily a starter in the future.

6. Xavier Omon- A-- well, only reason i give this an A, is because i LOVE this pick. Thie guy can run the ball....maybe he can play fullback--ala Crockett-- i think he is gonna be a steal

Demetrius Bell- N/A

Steven Johnson- c-- could be a steal at Wr for us in the 7th

Kennard Cox-- N/a wont be anything more than a practice squad player IMO
Old 04-27-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New York Jets

Round 1, Pick 6: Vernon Gholston OLB Ohio State - A+
This was a no brainer. With Long, McFadden, and Ryan off the board, this had to be the pick. Now Gholston will provide the Jets with a pass rush while giving the Jets great depth at LB.

Round 1, Pick 30: Dustin Keller TE Purdue - B-
There has been a lot of hate on this pick, but I feel like it was a smart move. Maybe he would have been there in the 2nd, maybe not. If you like a guy that much than it makes sense to go out and trade up for him. The past 2 players the Jets traded up for worked out. Now I feel like he will have a big impact stretching the middle of the field, providing a safety net for whoever the QB is, and creating mismatches. He will be a great option as a slot WR/TE.

Round 4, Pick 14: Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State - B+
This is a good pick because it adds depth to the secondary. Lowery led the nation in INTs in his junior year and if it was not for an injury last year he may have done it again. A dynamic CB who excels in zone coverage will battle his way to start opposite of Revis.

Round 5, Pick 27: Erik Ainge QB Tennessee - B
A long-term project that one day may be able to be successful in the league. He's a big pocket passer that has a strong arm and nice touch, but needs to see the field a bit better. If he impresses he could eventually earn a chance to prove himself if Kellen/Chad play poorly.

Round 6, Pick 5: Marcus Henry WR Kentucky - B
A big guy (6'4) who will battle to earn a position on the roster. A big target with raw talent

Round 7, Pick 4: Nate Garner OT Arkansas - (No rating, 7th rounder)
Well he blocked well for McFadden and Jones. Maybe he can get a spot. He's a big dude (6'7'').

Overall Grade: B
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
BufFan71
Pro Bowler

BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post

That was one of the worst picks in the draft, lol.

I watched Will Franklin absolutely destroy this clown. Huge reach for a player that was not going to get taken that early and has some character concerns? B-???

since when did TWeat have character problems? he doesnt.

Will Franklin did not destroy Wheatley, Colorado didnt have much at corner behind terrence, Franklin destroyed the other CB's
Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon B+
Probably the best player available depending on how you ranked the running backs when we were on the clock. It appears the Panthers want a more powerful ground game and Stewart’s punishing style gives them a great weapon. While he’s not going to be a massive pro bowl rookie, he will contribute from day one and probably see around 160-200 carries his first year. Great value and a strong upgrade to the run game.

Jeff Otah OT Pitt A+/F-
If Otah booms into the punishing run blocker the front office thinks he can be and the Panthers offense takes off, Hurney and Fox will be hailed as geniuses. If he busts out and ends up benched or as a guard the Panthers will have mortgaged a huge part of their future for nothing.

This is one of the few picks (other than Atlanta’s Matt Ryan and Baltimore’s Joe Flacco selections) that could make or break coaching careers and franchises.

Charles Godfrey DB Iowa B
Excellent value here imo as he was a pretty freakin’ good cover 2 prospect. The value here for the Panthers will probably be Godfrey as a safety. He’ll be a nice addition to Chris Harris and give a great safety compliment to a very strong set of cornerbacks.

Dan Connor LB Penn State A+ (value wise)
I don’t not like this pick. I just don’t understand it. We signed Landon Johnson in the offseason, already have Beason and Davis entrenched as starters. So now we’ve got James Anderson, Landon Johnson, Nail Diggs AND Dan Connor competing for one position. The best thing to do here in my opinion would be to put Connor on the strong side and move Thomas Davis to the weakside where his 4.5 speed and blitzing ability could be unleashed.

Gary Barnidge TE Louisville B-
Depth pick. Panthers always carry 3 tight ends and he’ll give us a solid receiving threat. Dante Rosario began to emerge last year as a great pass catching option and King is a solid if unspectacular all round player. Depth with potential imo.

Nick Hayden DT Wisconsin B+
This player fills a need and does seem to have a lot of potential. Sal Sunsieri has gotten some amazing play out of late rounders like Jordan Carstens, Kindal Moorehead and former busts ( Damoine Lewis) in the past and should find himself another project. Probably a rotational guy to spell those above him on the depth chart.

Hilee Taylor OLB North Carolina C-
I don’t know much about this guy except he’s an undersized defensive end who was too slow there to be effective as a pass rusher and too small to be a good run defender. Apparently has good quickness and a few moves. Maybe just a Tim Shaw type ST only selection. Front office must see something I don’t especially when there was still some DE’s on the board here.

Geoff Schwartz OG Oregon & Mackenzy Bernadeau OG Bentley C+
Camp fodder / developmental prospects. Both these guys are massive so they’ll be good in camp to help spell who we’ve got and give the scout team defense some hitting. I don’t really know why we went the same position twice after having a massive FA class brought in. Both guys have potential Schwartz is one mean MFer and Benradeau needs to be coached for a while but has a lot of capability as a player.

I like the picks long term, but we’re not light on depth at the guard spot, so I don’t know where they’ll fit.

Overall
A+ potential if we manage to get a starting linebacker who lives up to his scouting report, a starting FS and a real power house running game. The other players only need to be ST contributors and the team will keep ticking over fine.

Realistic grade: B we gave up a lot to get an OT with some big questions but managed to get some nice value and developmental prospects in the third and after.

Worst case scenario is Otah busts and the Panthers are stuck with a useless fat, slow bench rider and miss out on a first next year.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eagles

Round 1 (19 overall)
- Traded to Carolina for a 2nd, 4th, and 2009 1st rounder
Grade - A
Round 2a (47 overall) - Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame - Should be a great 3rd DT in our rotation behind Patterson and Bunkley
Grade - B+
Round 2b (49 overall) - DeSean Jackson, WR/RS/ Cal - Didn't want him at 19 but getting him at 49 was great value. Should start out as a slot receiver but who knows could 1 day be a starter. He will probably be the starter at PR and maybe KOR from day 1.
Grade - A-
Round 3 (80 overall) - Bryan Smith, DE/OLB, McNeese St. - I wasn't too thrilled with this pick at first, but it grew on me a little bit since then, the eagles want him at DE and if he bulks up a little he could be a great pass rusher. Still a bit of a reach for a role player.
Grade - C+
Round 4a (109 overall) - Mike McGlynn, OT, Pittsburgh - If you would have told me 2 days ago we would have an OT from Pitt I would've figured you meant Jeff Otah. Who knows maybe McGlynn could be a future starter, but right now I'm taking this as a pick for O-Line depth.
Grade - B-
Round 4b (115 overall) - Traded to dolphins for Lorenzo Booker - Apparently Reid loved this guy last year but couldn't grab him in the draft, we get him with a pick that is 2 rounds later then he was picked last year, and he has already performed pretty well in the pros and was able to get experience. Will learn from Westbrook and will be a dynamic player for the offense to take the pressure off Westbrook.
Grade - B+
Round 4c (117 overall) - Quintin Demps, FS, UTEP - Decent value here, he has good speed and athleticism and is a ballhawk, seems a little arrogant but that could be a good thing. Will be able to learn behind Brian Dawkins and could be the future starter at FS.
Grade - A-
Round 4d (131 overall) - Jack Ikegwuonu, CB, Wisconsin - Was one of the top corners in the country before his injury. May have to go on IR for a year, and when he's 100% he could be a potential nickel or even starter. Very physical, great cover corner.
Grade - A
Round 6a (184 overall) - Mike Gibson, G, Cal - Not much I can say about this pick, might not be anything more than a backup guard, but what do you expect from a 6th rounder?
Grade - C+
Round 6b (200 overall) - Joe Mays, MLB, North Dakota St. - Undersized LB with a high motor and hopefully will be a core special teamer for us. Hopefully a good backup too.
Grade - B-
Round 6c (203 overall) - Andy Studebaker, DE, Wheaton - Talk about a project, this guy looked like a beast in Division 3 Wheaton college, obviously it's a big difference between Division 3 and the NFL, but if he works out, could be a steal.
Grade - B-
Round 7 (230 overall) - King Dunlap, OT, Auburn - Another project, may have some potential but also had a horrible senior season, getting beat out by a freshman. Also I wasn't thrilled he being our 3rd O-Lineman, I would've preferred a tall WR like Marcus Monk. Has Practice Squad written all over him.
Grade - C-

Summary - I like the trade for the 2009 1st rounder, We got a bunch of solid role players in the draft but very few look like they will be a full time starter.
Overall grade - B
Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chicago Bears

1st round- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

-I preferred Otah, mostly because I like big mauling offensive lineman, but left tackles get paid to protect the quarterback and Williams is very good at that. He's got great size, good feet, and good hands. Plus, he's a really smart kid, and that gets huge points in my book. Biggest need with probably the best player to fit that need. Grade= A

2nd round- Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

-The whole question was whether the Bears would draft a replacement for Benson or a compliment for Benson. I think we've got that answer. Forte was arguably the best 2-down back available at 44 (him or Rice), and has an overall good package. Tough guy, good hands, great character. It wouldn't suprise me to see Benson not even on the team next year, though that would take some development on Garrett Wolfe's part as well. Grade= B+

3rd round- Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt

-At this point it seemed pretty clear we would go WR, be it Bennett or Doucet. Bennett has a little better speed and is probably the more likely to develop into a starter. With our WR position in such flux he could start right away if he has a nice summer. Probably will never be a #1, but could be a longterm starter. Grade= B+

3rd Round- Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas

-What is there to say about Harrison? Great run stuffer, tremendous talent, serious character concerns. Lots of NFL players do drugs, so this isn't a grand revelation, but the added health concerns dropped him. That said, as a late 3rd rounder? That's lower than many were projecting him. Hopefully he's not another Tank Johnson, but even still it's a lower pick. Grade= B

4th Round- Craig Steltz, S, Lousiana State

-I like Steltz. He's not a gym shorts type, but he played at a really high level for one of the best teams in the country the last two years. We've got a lot of openings in our safety position so he could compete to be what Adam Arcuhleta was supposed to be. Worst case scenario he should be a really good special teams guy. Grade= B

5th Round- Zack Bowman, Defensive Back, Nebraska

-I'm waiting to hear what the full plan is for Bowman, as I've heard they are projecting him as a free safety. Could have been a 1st rounder based on talent, but that was a long time ago. As it is, the 4th or 5th round was about where most people expected Bowman to go, so this works fine for me. Could also serve as a return man should we decide to phase Hester out. Grade= B

5th Round- Kellen Davis, Tight End, Michigan State

-Nice athlete, good value, questionable need. We already have one of the best tight end combos in football. Could Davis play more of a H-back role? Maybe split out? Hell, he could be a defensive end prospect. There's a lot to like about Kellen Davis as a draft prospect. Kiper had him ranked 61st overall. I'm just not sure why we picked him. Would have preferred Josh Johnson, although it's questionable if Johnson could throw in Chicago winters. Grade= C

After that we had four 4th rounders that I don't really feel like typing out. Overall I give us a B+/A- and think our draft is realy falling under the radar. We found good value's up and down the board and filled our biggest needs.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have really liked the Bears to have drafted Andre Woodson or Paul Smith, even though I think Sexy Rexy can still be the guy. The Bears needed to improve their offensive line and skill positions players to help him out, and they did just that this weekend.

If Harrison pans out, that could make a very good defense even better.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Bears draft a lot. I didn't think they'd pull the trigger on Williams, but they did. There's talk we debated Williams/Albert for a long time.

The only small disappointment I had was not pulling the trigger on another OL sooner. That said, I like Barton, and I think he could challenge sooner than later.

I'm fine with not going QB. After O'Connell came off, there really wasn't a QB that I really wanted until the 6th or 7th, and at that point, I didn't care.

Bennett could very well be our lead receiver. He's, imo, the WR most ready to make an impact. I'm not projecting any Dwayne Bowe like numbers, but he could be real good next year.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I would have really liked the Bears to have drafted Andre Woodson or Paul Smith, even though I think Sexy Rexy can still be the guy. The Bears needed to improve their offensive line and skill positions players to help him out, and they did just that this weekend.

If Harrison pans out, that could make a very good defense even better.
I like Woodson but there are some real questions if he could play in a WCO (though who knows what Turner runs at this point).

I'm hopeful we'll add Paul Smith as an UDFA. We talked to him a fair bit I know that.

I agree with Toonster though, past the 2nd/3rd round we likely wouldn't have found a whole lot anyway. If Orton/Grossman fail this year we'll likely have to go QB in the 1st or trade for a guy like Brady Quinn.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 PM    (permalink
dcarey20
Pro Bowler

dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.dcarey20 is a cocksman.

My feelings on the draft.

1) Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware = C+
-I'm not overjoyed, but I'm satisfied. Flacco wasn't the 18th player on my board, but I did feel he had established himself as a first round talent. And I'm happy that the FO went out and said this is our guy, and they went out and did what it took to get him. They didn't sit around and hope that he fell, they didn't let the draft dictate what they would do, they were assertive, and I love that. This probably isn't what I would have done, but I'm definitely on board with the pick.

2) Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers = B+
-Really nice pick. I felt that running back was one of our top 3 needs going into this draft due to the uncertainty behind Willis. Cam Cameron may now have a similar running back situation to what he had in San Diego.

3) Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami = A
-Probably my favorite pick of the draft. Gooden was one of my favorite prospects in the draft and I felt he was a second round talent. He reminds me alot of former Miami teammate Jon Beason. An athletic guy who plays even faster than he times, and can also play inside or out. He should provide good depth at the very least and could be an eventual starter for us.

3b) Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame = C
When I first heard about this pick, I absolutely hated it, because Zbikowski has been one of the more overrated safeties in college football for the past few years. But then I thought more about it and realized that this pick was probably more for special teams purposes than defensive purposes, and I love how he fits the team in that regard. I'm still not a huge fan, because this was a tad bit of a reach, but I've warmed up to it and I'm excited to see what Zbi can do.

3c) Oniel Cousins, OT, UTEP = B
-Not a sexy pick but a really nice one. Has the ability to play guard as well as tackle. Reminds me a lot of the Marshal Yanda pick last year, and he could end up having a nice impact like Yanda did. He'll provide some really nice depth and I like how he fits.

4) Marcus Smith, WR, New Mexico = C+
-Ok pick. Good size and a solid replacement for Darling, though I though Lavelle Hawkins would have been a really nice value.

4b) David Hale, OT, Weber St = D+
-Not a fan. With Hale being from Weber State I honestly cannot say I whole lot about this guy but to me I don't feel we needed to go offensive line again this soon. Maybe with our 6th or 7th round pick, but not here, and it's hard for me to believe that this guy was that much better than a tackle we could have gotten in those rounds.

4c) Fabian Washington, CB, Oakland Raiders = A
- You gotta love what the Ravens did in getting Washington. We had to come away from this draft with some sort of impact corner, and while we didn't draft one, we traded for one. I love the value of only giving up a 4th rounder for him and he will make an instant impact. There were only 4 or 5 corners in this draft that I felt would make instant impacts, so I'm pretty happy.

6) Haruki Nakamura, S, Cinncinati = C-
-Like the Hale pick, I can't say I know alot about Nakamura, but I'm not sure about taking a safety. I would have liked to see us go defensive line here.

7) Justin Harper, WR, V-Tech = B
-We may not be seeing him on the 53 man roster, but this is a nice pick because at the very least he will push guys like Matt Willis and Marcus Smith to get better. Intriguing player with his size.

7b) Allen Patrick, RB, Oklahoma = C-
-I guess it's solid value, as Patrick is a talented player. But I really don't like taking a back here. I was fine with going into the season with McGahee, Rice, and Ross at the position. I guess this is a bit like the Harper pick though, as at the least Patrick should push Ross. If Patrick can beat out Cory for the 3rd running back spot, then this pick looks alot better.

Overall this is a draft where we went out a got a guy who we feel can be a franchise quarterback for us, and I like that, even if Flacco wasn't the best value. After that we stockpiled depth, which isn't always the most popular thing amongst fans, but it's something that I really liked, because our depth has sucked the past few seasons and it's shown when our key guys have gone down with injuries.

FINAL GRADE: B

Last edited by dcarey20 : 04-27-2008 at 08:05 PM.
dcarey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2(34) Devin Thomas, WR (A) Really love this pick. I had Thomas graded as a first rounder in the 15-25 range so trading down into the early second and still being able to land him was great value for the Skins. He's a great fit for the Skins in the WCO. A large frame with impressive speed and good hands with his best football ahead of him.

2(48) Fred Davis, TE (B+) I had Fred Davis as the top rated TE in the draft so I was pleased to see him picked by the Skins. We have zero depth at TE behind Cooley and that is important for our offense. Cooley loves to slide into the slot and line up at hback in the backfield too. Having another TE with Davis talent gives us a ton of options for some really great packages.

2(51) Malcolm Kelly, WR (B-) Some people may say that taking another WR wasn't necessary after Thomas but they obviously haven't looked at our depth chart. After Moss and El theres only Thrash on the dc. Kelly was another guy that a lot of people had pegged as a 1st round talent before his pro day. He may not be a burner but he doesn't have to be in our offense. He has reliable hands and is money in the redzone. The rumors about his knees are my only concern.

3(96) Chad Rhinehart, OL (B) Very versatile olineman which is what the redskins wanted. he can play either OT spot and also OG. the skins have even said they will give him some snaps at C in minicamp to see how he does because they feel he has the ability to play anywhere on the offensive line. great small school prospect with quick feet, good agility, and very nice size at 65 315 lbs.

4(125) Justin Tyron, CB (B-) Didnt know much about the guy till we picked him. He is a little undersized at 59 but hes quite strong and physical nonetheless. Put up 21 reps on the bench and said to be a good form tackler. Transferred into arizona state his junior year and immediately started 26 straight games over his two years there as the #1 cb. Was an all american in juco before transferring. His senior year he only allowed the opposition to complete just 31.13 percent of the passes thrown into his direction. Pretty good speed with a 4.42 and a nice vertical for a shorter guy at 33 inches. From what ive seen his quickness and desire give him the ability to make up in recovery for taking a lot of risks.

6(168) Durant Brooks, P (A-) Frost is so terribly inconsistent and unreliable. Over the past 3 years frost in the nfl has averaged just under 41 yards per kick. brooks averages 45.3 and has much better consistency and brooks accuracy and placement is money. The kid had a long of 77 this year!!

6(180) Kareem Moore, SS (B) A pure SS and ive seen him compared to Ryan Clark who is a guy most skins fans were upset to lose in FA two years back. hes a little short and doesnt have good timed speed but everything ive seen says hes got great awareness, good instincts, and great in the box. considering we arent going to resign peirson this gives good depth and a guy that can compete with reed at SS.

6(186) Colt Brennan, QB (B+) I personally am really excited about this pick. I think that Colt has the ability to be a great long term backup in the right situation and I think the Skins are just the spot. He gets to come in and be coached by Jim Zorn. Campbell is obviously the starter and Collins has proved a serviceable backup but hes 36 and won't be around more than another year or two at most. The WCO is probably the best fit for Colt and he'll have a good amount of time to learn before being in a situation that he'd have to step in and contribute.

7(242) Rob Jackson, DE (C+) Mostly a pass rush specialist from what I've seen. Is supposedly very talented at getting at the QB but doesn't have much to offer in run support.

7(249) Chris Horton, S (B-) More depth at Safety. Behind Landry and Reed the Skins really don't have much depth at either safety spot so Horton has a good shot of stepping into that roll as a backup. He started as a FS and then moved to SS so his versatility will help. Could be a good special teamer.

Overall = B+

Last edited by DiG : 04-27-2008 at 08:19 PM.
DiG is offline   Reply With Quote