Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2009 Draft Discussion

Just for fun throw a prospect you wouldn't mind seeing in a Lions uniform for next years draft.

I'm gona go with Matthew Stafford from GA. I don't know why but I like him a lot as a QB, and think he could have the potential to be special. Kinda reminds me of Favre like skills. Not comparing to two, just saying.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

rey maualuga, michael johnson. one of those would be sweet.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh god. haha.

Theres a nice group of LTs out there. I wouldn't rule out a first round RB. Kevin Smith is just a third rounder and this is a two back league.

Honestly the only positions I don't think we could go with in first round are

WLB
MLB
UT
RT
WR

I want to almost put DE, but I won't.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was intrigued by LT Michael Oher out of Ol' Miss after reading the book Blindside .... the only forseeable way to scoop him up is via trade (and don't say trade Roy) or go 2-14 b/c he'll be the Jake Long of 2009's draft. I will follow his career wherever he goes, that book blew me away, what a story that kid has!

Jame Larinitas (sp?) would work for me. Sims & Dizon with Larinitas in the middle would give teams plenty of fits!
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rey Maualuga.. Michael Johnson.. Michael Oher..

I'd also love to see big Herman Johnson in a Lions uniform.

Last edited by WMD : 04-28-2008 at 06:39 PM.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Bootland27
Rookie

Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bootland27 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think a corner (Malcolm Jenkins or Vontae Davis) or maybe a 300lb+ DT (Demarcus Granger)
Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Todd McShay posted his 2009 mock draft and using a formula he has the Lions drafting 2nd and taking Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech. An interesting side note is that 3 of the top 5 were DTs with the other 2 being Johnson and Matt Stafford.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to get Oher or another top OT the most. Book end tackles would do wonders for our team for the future.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I would love to get Oher or another top OT the most. Book end tackles would do wonders for our team for the future.
I agree completely and wish we would have gotten that on Saturday, but here's to next year.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heading into the Season, I'd list our needs as:

OT- Jeff Backus is getting paid a lot of money and just isn't producing like he should. I'll throw it out there, I think he could be cut if we have a bad year. Look for one high. I'm talking Michael Oher, people. If we're a little lower, Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe. Right now, I'm not sure who is best fit for our Zone Blocking system, but LT could be a huge need come April.

DE- Dewayne White is solid enough, but everyone else that we have are probably best fit as rotational guys. Could go for one high, I'm thinking Michael Johnson if he has a productive year. Another guy I'd like if it weren't for injury concerns is Greg Hardy from Ole Miss.

LB- As long as Paris Lenon is starting, we're going to need a Linebacker. Dizon should get either the Middle or Strong Side, so whatever we have left after Ernie and Dizon should be filled. If it's MLB, we should look for one high. SLB can be filled in Rounds 2 or 3. Would love to see Rey Maualuga for the MLB spot but I'm not sure how good of a fit he is for the Tampa 2.

CB- All we have is Leigh Bodden, basically. I want Vontae Davis. I think he's my favorite going into the 2009 Season. That's all I have to say about that. Vontae, baby!

RB- Kevin Smith looks solid enough. I think if we want our running game to be truly effective, we need a speedy RB to compliment Smith. Tatum Bell probably won't be here next year, or could even be cut before this season. CJ Spiller is my guy for the spot.

QB- This one I'm not so sure about. I think if we're high enough (in the draft, not on drugs) we could go for one. Drew Stanton injured his knee last year and his thumb this year.. He's only going to be out for a few weeks, but the injury bug is definitely fond of Stanton. Kitna only has a year or two left in the tank, so if they aren't sold on Stanton 100% and we're in position for a "Franchise" signal caller at the top of the draft, I could see it happening.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I only see 4 priorities for the Lions. I'm assuming we will be drafting pretty high as I expect little from this current team.

Priorities:

1) We have not had a franchise QB since Layne some 50+ years ago and that is the last time we won a playoff game. See any correlation. Well I do, and for me that will also be the Lion's top priority till the problem has been rectified.

2) We haven't had a franchise DE since Marinelli brought the Cover 2 defense to Detroit, in fact I don't think Mornhinweg or Mooch had one either. The DE position in most defenses is a top priority and especially in a Cover 2 defense where it is the #1 priority. Until this position is solved Marinelli's defense will always rank at or near the bottom of the league.

3) I'm not sold on Smith being our solution at RB and if he isn't we need desperately to find a franchise RB to make this offense work.

4) I'm not a believer in Dizon as our solution at MLB, he has yet to prove to me he can even be a starter in this league at any LB position. We need to find a MLB who can be a dominate player.

For me drafting any other positions before these 4 crucial positions are solved is simply dooming Detroit for another long run as a bottom feeder with little hope for success.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I only see 4 priorities for the Lions. I'm assuming we will be drafting pretty high as I expect little from this current team.

Priorities:

1) We have not had a franchise QB since Layne some 50+ years ago and that is the last time we won a playoff game. See any correlation. Well I do, and for me that will also be the Lion's top priority till the problem has been rectified.

2) We haven't had a franchise DE since Marinelli brought the Cover 2 defense to Detroit, in fact I don't think Mornhinweg or Mooch had one either. The DE position in most defenses is a top priority and especially in a Cover 2 defense where it is the #1 priority. Until this position is solved Marinelli's defense will always rank at or near the bottom of the league.

3) I'm not sold on Smith being our solution at RB and if he isn't we need desperately to find a franchise RB to make this offense work.

4) I'm not a believer in Dizon as our solution at MLB, he has yet to prove to me he can even be a starter in this league at any LB position. We need to find a MLB who can be a dominate player.

For me drafting any other positions before these 4 crucial positions are solved is simply dooming Detroit for another long run as a bottom feeder with little hope for success.
wow dude, apart from DE all those positions have been adressed. You can't write people off before they've even played a snap. Smith for one has looked well and Stanton deserves at least a fair chance. Cheer up.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need improved play from the offensive guards as well. And I would rank that ahead of RB. Behind a good offensive line, any RB can look pretty decent.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
We need improved play from the offensive guards as well. And I would rank that ahead of RB. Behind a good offensive line, any RB can look pretty decent.
I want Herman Johnson. He's a monster.. I don't know if he'd be a good fit for our scheme, though.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
wow dude, apart from DE all those positions have been adressed. You can't write people off before they've even played a snap. Smith for one has looked well and Stanton deserves at least a fair chance. Cheer up.
I have no doubt that we will stick with Stanton just like we stuck with Harrington when Roethlisberger was available. That's the Detroit Lions for the last 50+ years.

I don't see a feature RB in Smith. He'll be alright but nothing special IMO. Yes, he had a 35 yard run in his last game but what about the other 10 carries leading up to that run. One successful run out of 11 carries isn't going to cut it for a team that wants to pound the ball. Anyways we'll know by next year's draft whether or not Smith has met muster as our RB. If he has then indeed cross him off the list, but a team like Detroit should never cross off a potential franchise QB or didn't you read Scott Wright's article on 2nd and 3rd round drafted QB's.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have no doubt that we will stick with Stanton just like we stuck with Harrington when Roethlisberger was available. That's the Detroit Lions for the last 50+ years.

I don't see a feature RB in Smith. He'll be alright but nothing special IMO. Yes, he had a 35 yard run in his last game but what about the other 10 carries leading up to that run. One successful run out of 11 carries isn't going to cut it for a team that wants to pound the ball. Anyways we'll know by next year's draft whether or not Smith has met muster as our RB. If he has then indeed cross him off the list, but a team like Detroit should never cross off a potential franchise QB or didn't you read Scott Wright's article on 2nd and 3rd round drafted QB's.
Actually I did. But my point is all those areas have at least a temporary fix. The main issue is the defensive end position, RB and QB aren't exactly manned by Peyton Manning and LaDainian Tomlinson (if only...), but for now they'll do the job, and let's face it, you don't need to be much of a QB to produce with targets like Roy and Calvin (although it remains to be seen if roy actually stays with the Lions). DE is #1 through 10 priority in my book, sure a franchise QB would be nice, but as of now we need passrushers more than I need coffee (it's 9.20 AM here)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Actually I did. But my point is all those areas have at least a temporary fix. The main issue is the defensive end position, RB and QB aren't exactly manned by Peyton Manning and LaDainian Tomlinson (if only...), but for now they'll do the job, and let's face it, you don't need to be much of a QB to produce with targets like Roy and Calvin (although it remains to be seen if roy actually stays with the Lions). DE is #1 through 10 priority in my book, sure a franchise QB would be nice, but as of now we need passrushers more than I need coffee (it's 9.20 AM here)
We aren't that far apart. However I'm sure Marinelli would recommend Millen take a DE over a QB, but if you are interested in winning a Super Bowl and a franchise QB is sitting there when we draft, many a top GM would take the QB. Of course I don't expect we will take a QB, that's a decision that solid teams with top GM's make not pitiful franchises like Detroit. There is always a problem when the HC decides who to draft. He is interested in winning now, that's how he keeps his job, rather than looking at the big picture and prepare the team for real success down the road. Few HC's have been solid drafters for this reason although there have been exceptions.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
We aren't that far apart. However I'm sure Marinelli would recommend Millen take a DE over a QB, but if you are interested in winning a Super Bowl and a franchise QB is sitting there when we draft, many a top GM would take the QB. Of course I don't expect we will take a QB, that's a decision that solid teams with top GM's make not pitiful franchises like Detroit. There is always a problem when the HC decides who to draft. He is interested in winning now, that's how he keeps his job, rather than looking at the big picture and prepare the team for real success down the road. Few HC's have been solid drafters for this reason although there have been exceptions.
We're probably not that far apart indeed. I understand your point, which is essentially what Scott's always saying "unless you have one, don't pass on a franchise QB", and usually I agree with that. Our defense has been improving over the past few years and all it really, really lacks is an elite pass-rusher. I'm not telling you Stanton is gonna be a superstar, but he'll be servicable for at least a year. A DE would help our team forward.

As for the superbowl, let's focus on making the playoffs first. Gotta walk before you can run, right?

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
We're probably not that far apart indeed. I understand your point, which is essentially what Scott's always saying "unless you have one, don't pass on a franchise QB", and usually I agree with that. Our defense has been improving over the past few years and all it really, really lacks is an elite pass-rusher. I'm not telling you Stanton is gonna be a superstar, but he'll be servicable for at least a year. A DE would help our team forward.

As for the superbowl, let's focus on making the playoffs first. Gotta walk before you can run, right?
Here we don't quite agree. I'm with Scott here. Of course, a franchise QB has to be sitting there when it's your pick, otherwise it's a mute point.
I just don't think we can be a playoff team with Kitna or Stanton. I'm sure you've seen Scott Wright's article on 2nd and 3rd round drafted QB's. it's not a pretty sight. I'm not at all sold that Stanton can ever be a starting QB in this league. I think people way overestimate how good a WR can be if your not solid at QB. I just don't think either Roy or Johnson will ever approach their potential with these guys as our QB's.
For any decent team, the 1st question each post season is, 'can we contend for the Super Bowl next season', if the answer is yes, then you are not in a rebuilding mode and your draft strategy is simple. 'Look for that piece that can put you over the top'. However, if the answer is no and I really believe it is with Detroit, face it Millen is never going to get us even close to that point, then you are still in a rebuilding mode and you look to the future. That future must start with a very solid franchise type QB or your just going around in circles but never up. It has been 50+ years since we have had anything close to a franchise QB and it has been 50+ years since we have won a playoff game, even you have to admit that there is a correlation.
I know, Millen will never draft another 1st round QB while he is in his current position, he finds it just too risky to contemplate. Far better to give Detroit a 2nd round QB and wet the fans appetite without having to play him for 3 or 4 seasons so they cannot claim he failed again for quite some time.
It takes usually 3 seasons to get even a franchise QB up to snuff. By failing to draft one right away, it dooms Detroit to at least another 3 seasons of failing to be a competitive team. If Millen is around for another 2 seasons, it will be minimally be 5 years before anyone can expect us to be a playoff contender and for me that is sad, sad, sad.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree not first round but we should address the OG's in the next draft.

Here would be my priorities.

1. NT We got rid of Rogers. We havn't found a grat replacement yet (or even if we did the guy is old) Well unless Redding is moving to NT and IAF is going to UT but I don't know how that will work out either.

2. OG we are slowly but surely rebuilding the O-Line eventually we will have to find a replacement for Backus but I think we need t oaddress the inside as well

3. LB as WMD said Paris Lenon is not a starting LB in this league. We meed to improve on him.

4. CB Bian Kelly is over the hill Keith Smith is ok but is better as a NB we will need to replace Kelly to work on the other side of Bodden.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

rey maualuga is the pick i'd love to have. no question marks, stick him on our team and let him work. i don't want another kalimba edwards or miss on a quarterback or any kind of developmental person. i want the ready to play impact player who can hopefully provide an immediate presence on and off the field to our d the way lofa tatupa did to seattle. if he's gone then i guess roll the dice on a DE freak.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SLB is not a position we should be looking to take in the first couple of rounds. All I've read and from my understanding is that SLB is the least important position on our defense. The Bears have gotten along with Hunter Hillenmeyer and I can't even name the Colts or Buccaneers SLB.

I really don't think we will be in the top 5 either. But its pointless to argue that right now. I think we will be around 15-20.

And some prospects in the mid first round I'm interested in

CJ Spiller - Explosive running back. Would be a great compliment to Smith.

Duke Robinson - Not sure how he would fit into our scheme, but his OG play would be something we haven't had for years.

Mike Mickens, CB - Talented CB with some size. Play the NB until Kelly is gone. Insurance also for injuries (Bodden and Kelly have prior issues).

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think what we need depends on where we draft.

If we are drafting in the top three, or even top five then I think we need to take the franchise Quarterback. Sorry, but I don't trust Drew Stanton and it had NOTHING to do with what college he attended. It's statistically proven that 97% of the Quarterbacks drafted in the 2nd Round fail at the NFL level. I don't trust anyone on this coaching staff to turn Drew Stanton into one of those Quarterbacks in the other 3%. Do any of you? If we are drafting that high then that means that none of the Quarterbacks on our roster showed any sign of being able to lead the team forward.

I think if we pick in the six to ten range, then we look elsewhere unless a franchise Quarterback is still available. However, for argument's sake let's say there are none available. I think the two positions we need to look at are a franchise Left Tackle and an impact Defensive Lineman. I did like the pick of Gosder Cherilus, even if he was a reach, but he is your prototypical Right Tackle. We're still playing Jeff Backus (Suck-ass) a whole lot of money, but we need to eat that money. I'd rather pay him not to play then pay him to stand around and do nothing. There are two top notch Left Tackle prospects in this draft (Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe) and adding one of them would solidify the outside of our line for years to come. As far as the Defensive Line goes, Dewayne White and Corey Redding are fine players, but they need an impact guy playing next to them or the unit as a whole will not be effective.

If we pick outside of the top ten then I think we can start looking at the Linebackers and Cornerbacks of this draft while still watching out for an impact Offensive Tackle or Defensive Lineman to fall. In my opinion there are four premium positions on an NFL team. They are: Quarterback, Left Tackle, Defensive End, and Defensive Tackle. The Lions don't have a "franchise" type player at any of those four positions. Anyone remember the last team to go to a Super Bowl without a "franchise" player at a minimum of two of those positions?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A big question mark to me is QB. If Stanton comes in and plays crappy this season... go with QB. But we need to see him play. Yeah, 97% of the QBs fail.... but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Put him out there.

But then again.... I was all for Mike McMahon starting. I am still pissed about him not running it in during the Thanksgiving game when he coulda made it. Argh.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Mike McMahon was a beast.