Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Oh no, that's why I said I'd like to see more of him in the coming months. I don't think it's very reliable to read previously published stories about him or rely on Rutgers fans for knowledge on the issue, so I'd just like to wait until everything's dug up. But all I was saying that with any player, I'd care about locker room chemistry more than most things. Granted, if there are any red flags in that area in the first place, we don't have to worry because we won't be drafting that person.
Yeah I doubt we'll be drafting guys that have bad character, some of the intelligence stuff might become less important with Rex running things as opposed to Mangini. I'd be interested to see how much the coach influences the kind of guys we draft. We've been big into Big 10 guys and seem to like production recently, I think that's more Tannenbaum, but the kind of people we bring in could have been a little more Mangini. Rex is going to want tough, physical guys that are devoted to football IMO, intelligence will be a factor but more the can he digest a playbook and does he have a high football IQ intelligence.

Anyway back to Britt, as far as locker room issues I think if this year is any indication he won't be a problem. This was a team that started the year in awful fashion, got panned by the media in the area, and had a quarterback who just couldn't get the ball to either of his talented wideouts. Britt, being a top 3 talent and high-profile guy at the very least in either case, could have easily called out his quarterback, made comments, not given the same kind of effort, etc. Instead he was a part of the team effort that turned that team around when they got hot towards the end of the season and he was incredibly productive during that period. You'd figure if he was a locker room cancer he could have easily screwed things up earlier in the season and they never would have made that turnaround, but obviously that didn't happen. As you said though, we'll see when it comes interview time.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Yeah I doubt we'll be drafting guys that have bad character, some of the intelligence stuff might become less important with Rex running things as opposed to Mangini. I'd be interested to see how much the coach influences the kind of guys we draft. We've been big into Big 10 guys and seem to like production recently, I think that's more Tannenbaum, but the kind of people we bring in could have been a little more Mangini. Rex is going to want tough, physical guys that are devoted to football IMO, intelligence will be a factor but more the can he digest a playbook and does he have a high football IQ intelligence.
was just about to say that...im really interested in seeing how we draft without mangini, and see how much of what we did was mangini and how much was tannenbaum...i do think without mangini it broadens our possibilities which im happy about...not saying i want to draft guys with poor character, just saying gini was prob a lil too strict...cant think of any examples off the top of my head but if it came down to it, much better chance ryan drafts a guy with some red flags than mangini
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to respond to a couple of Britt comments:
1.He should not be a top 5 pick. I was saying that at our position he is the best value.
2.I have a friend who writes for the Targum(Rutgers newpaper) and he is in the locker room after games all the time. He never saw or heard of any issues with Britt, he got along with his teammates. The only thing I've heard of that can be negative is that he was a little less outwardly affected by losses this year than some others.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Just to respond to a couple of Britt comments:
1.He should not be a top 5 pick. I was saying that at our position he is the best value.
2.I have a friend who writes for the Targum(Rutgers newpaper) and he is in the locker room after games all the time. He never saw or heard of any issues with Britt, he got along with his teammates. The only thing I've heard of that can be negative is that he was a little less outwardly affected by losses this year than some others.
I think the criticism was that you kind of implied Britt has the potential to be a top 5 wideout in the NFL, and TTGS disagreed.

Anyways, I was thinking about positions we might want to address in the later rounds that we won't be addressing that early in all likelihood so haven't discussed much. Punter and fullback came to mind. We haven't had stability at punter in awhile so it'd be interesting if we opted to go in that direction, I'd presume Westhoff would make the call there and I'd obviously trust his judgement. And fullback could be a need position if we want to pound the rock and lose Richardson to FA. Only other things I can see are a blocking TE (Franks is probably gone and Baker may be a cap casualty) and obviously some offensive line depth. Thoughts on those/other positions? Not saying I'd be proponents of drafting those by the way, just saying it'd be interesting and seems possible and those are positions we haven't really discussed much.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I think the criticism was that you kind of implied Britt has the potential to be a top 5 wideout in the NFL, and TTGS disagreed.

Anyways, I was thinking about positions we might want to address in the later rounds that we won't be addressing that early in all likelihood so haven't discussed much. Punter and fullback came to mind. We haven't had stability at punter in awhile so it'd be interesting if we opted to go in that direction, I'd presume Westhoff would make the call there and I'd obviously trust his judgement. And fullback could be a need position if we want to pound the rock and lose Richardson to FA. Only other things I can see are a blocking TE (Franks is probably gone and Baker may be a cap casualty) and obviously some offensive line depth. Thoughts on those/other positions? Not saying I'd be proponents of drafting those by the way, just saying it'd be interesting and seems possible and those are positions we haven't really discussed much.
If we are going to go FB, I would love us to look at Quinn JOhnson. I've watched LSU the majority of my life and Johnson is a very good looking prospect. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, which is something he didn't do too often at LSU, but was showcased at the Senior Bowl. He is a punishing downhill runner and should time a significant amount faster than Le'Ron McClain. I think he would be a great replacement for t-rich, and would cost a huge amount less.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I like Johnson a lot. If we bring in a fullback via draft he's probably my favorite, definitely I think fits what we would want to do.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Man I would love to have a power running FB. Johnson would be perfect for us. As for punter Thomas Morstead and Chris Miller intrest me.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

i thought richardson was good for us last year and i think a good blocking FB is a must for us...but to richardson, hes consistnely blocked for probowl HBs (holmes, peterson, now jones) and i really like the guy, dependign on how much he wants...but one way or another we need a solid physical FB
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I love t-rich and recently i read, although i don't have the link anymore, that he wants to come back to the jets and felt as though he was a part of something special about to happen.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 AM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Really hope he comes back the man can block like there is no tomorow. And especially with Rex here now wanting to pound the ball. Rich is a big key in our success of running the ball
Old 02-05-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott's new mock would make me very happy. Even if Jackson might not be everyone's favorite pick in the first round, getting Mccoy at 53 is insane. The way the first round went in the mock, Jackson is probably the best pick at 17. Vontae Davis may end up being a crazy shutdown corner and I wouldn't exactly be upset taking him, but I would be nervous because of his high bust potential.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

Quote:
Scott's new mock would make me very happy. Even if Jackson might not be everyone's favorite pick in the first round, getting Mccoy at 53 is insane. The way the first round went in the mock, Jackson is probably the best pick at 17. Vontae Davis may end up being a crazy shutdown corner and I wouldn't exactly be upset taking him, but I would be nervous because of his high bust potential.
I like it a lot to but Bennie and DHB was there in the 1st. But the 2nd round if we did draft Bennie would have been tought cause Nicks, Dlemas, and Rashad Johnson were all gone. But if Bennie is there in the 1st I want him
Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
i would be very very ok with scotts draft...i love mccoy and getting him that late would just be awesome...tyson jackson is also a great fit and i think he woudl be a great addition to the team, the only reservation i would have about that is everyone is crazy about next years 3-4 DE class, and i dont konw much aobut it, and even though you dont wanna rely on the next draft, if there are other options maybe that would be better...however, i really wouldnt mind him at all, and the way scotts mock went, thats probably the best pick there for us i think
Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I dunno I'm not wild about it to be honest, I like Jackson but not at 17 even though the other options aren't admittedly that appealing, and I'm not a huge fan of McCoy either plus if we go RB I'd rather go with a bigger guy. I guess I'd learn to love it, though.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't love Jackson, but after Rey and Sanchez (my top 2 choices), there isn't necessarily somebody i am crazy about getting. Given the situation Jackson is a great pick. I am a big McCoy guy too

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate the pick, but personally, I don't see the Jets seriously considering him. And even though I hate taking RBs early, McCoy wouldn't be bad at all. I do figure we'll take a RB at some point in this draft though.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I hate the pick, but personally, I don't see the Jets seriously considering him. And even though I hate taking RBs early, McCoy wouldn't be bad at all. I do figure we'll take a RB at some point in this draft though.
I don't really either to be honest. Only way is if we end up having to slice Ellis for cap room, and even then I think the value in the second round is better anyway. But preferably we wait till next year for that sick class.

McCoy is alright, a decent player, I'd prefer a bigger guy to add to our mix but I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Long term I'd imagine that would result in both Jones and Washington leaving and a bigger back coming in at a different point, because I'm not sure how Shady and Leon compliment each other. Perhaps we could keep Leon and Shady and add a third bigger back to the mix and try and run a little Giants style stuff...? He is a nice value there at the very least.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:16 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Shady is a very good value there, but I'm hoping we add a receiver instead.

I do believe that I am the only person who likes the Tyson Jackson pick; yes, I would prefer Maclin or a receiving threat, but I don't see him falling. I would imagine the reason I like this pick is I'm a huge LSU fan and have seen every single game that he's played. He's a freak in his own right for his size and speed; 6'5 and 295 lbs while running a ~4.9 forty. He is excellent against the run and can rush the passer pretty well for his size.

If I recall, the patriots were fairly disappointed and upset about both Warren and Seymour, which turned out pretty good for them. We shall see.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The thing is, at least personally, when you are adding a 3-4 DE I prefer a guy that was in the 4-3 as a DT not a DE. I just think the skill-set fits the transition better there as far as responsibility, and a ton of guys next year fit that mold. Who knows though, maybe it's just me.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does anyone think we could get much better (than what Scott has in his mock) by drafting someone like Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno in the 1st then Drafting someone like Evander Hood or Ron Brace in the 2nd...We would draft RB and DL in both instances I think if Wells and Moreno are on the board and RB is that much of a priority for us (which i dont think it is) wouldnt it make more sense to invert the picks from DL-RB TO RB-DL

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:10 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbrad08 View Post
Does anyone think we could get much better (than what Scott has in his mock) by drafting someone like Beanie Wells or Knowshon Moreno in the 1st then Drafting someone like Evander Hood or Ron Brace in the 2nd...We would draft RB and DL in both instances I think if Wells and Moreno are on the board and RB is that much of a priority for us (which i dont think it is) wouldnt it make more sense to invert the picks from DL-RB TO RB-DL
Yaa, I would have to agree. I haven't seen Ziggy play nearly as much as I've seen Tyson play, so I can't speak for the difference in play. Although, if Beanie stays healthy, he does posses a crazy amount of talent and is plenty more talented than Shady. I would guess it all depends on how are FO assesses the players. I am quite eager to see who we start targeting.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Alright guys, it's slow and I'd love to get some talk going. This isn't the best question but at least it's something, hopefully we can get a little discussion What position(s) would you most want to take in the first round besides WR, ILB, or S (taking value into account and whatnot)? I'd assume some would like a QB, others maybe want to look CB, defensive end is always an option, perhaps RB or something on the offensive line...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

If Bennie is there he could be very intristing. I wouldnt mind going DE if Tyson Jackson shows me a little something in the combine. But ovarall obviously WR, ILB, and S are the most important. Some guys I will really be watching for potential picks at the combine:

Bennie
Shonn Green
Maclin
Nicks
Barden
Britt
Tyson Jackson
Rey Rey
Worrell Williams
Jasper Brinkley
Kevin Barnes
Rashad Johnson
Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You could probably add DHB and Sanchez to that list.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Alright guys, it's slow and I'd love to get some talk going. This isn't the best question but at least it's something, hopefully we can get a little discussion What position(s) would you most want to take in the first round besides WR, ILB, or S (taking value into account and whatnot)? I'd assume some would like a QB, others maybe want to look CB, defensive end is always an option, perhaps RB or something on the offensive line...
Just because of value, I'd like to see a CB. Forever and always I'll believe that a RB shouldn't be taken in the first round, and I just don't believe we'll be in a position to take Sanchez (either because someone else will trade up ahead of us or he'll go too early). So, to me, that'd leave CB as having the best value at that point. Things might change and an O-lineman may fall into that mix, but at this point, a CB like Moore or Smith would be welcomed. Of course, my belief is that Rex puts a higher priority on the front seven, so I don't think that'll happen. So... I'll say... I don't know. It's so far out of mind that we'd take anything but WR, ILB, S, or QB that I don't know what we'd do if none of those options were available to us for some strange reason. I guess I'd pray that we trade our pick.