Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:44 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Bengals interest in Alexander ??

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6768

That's the link, but this is the part that gives the details:

Quote:
ALEXANDER UPDATE: The Bengals appear to be kicking the tires as they ponder a move with running back Shaun Alexander. Agent Jim Steiner said Wednesday night he had a couple of conversations with the club before the draft and is interested to get their take this week after the Bengals didn't take any running backs.

"They wanted to see what happened and we were going to get back together to see what they had in mind," said Steiner, indicating Alexander would embrace playing in his hometown.

The Bengals, who usually only keep three tailbacks, have a lot to figure out. If Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry are healthy, what to do they do with Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey if they sign Alexander? At 31, Alexander isn't the same back that led the Seahawks to the Super Bowl a few years ago and any deal would be contingent on a physical.

But he's a solid guy, adds another dimension in the passing game with terrific hands, has had tremendous production in the past, and his wrist is apparently healed.

The Bengals don't have much to give him, either, because of their salary cap situation, and Alexander also has to figure out how he wants to get paid after years as one of the top paid backs in the league.

Steiner didn't elaborate on any issues, but he's hopeful to talk to the team soon. If the Bengals are going to make a move, it would probably be before on-field voluntary workouts start May 13.
I really just see how they could make this happen with the players we already have. I mean who goes ?? You can't get rid of Rudi to bring in Alexander in my opinion. You still have to give Perry (1st rounder) another chance as it's coming pretty cheap. Irons is a lock due to injury and Watson is a more than solid backup you can't get rid of. That leaves Dorsey on the outs, but that's still to many. Once again, doesn't look like it's something they really need to do...
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:23 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the right price he'd be a good add but I'm not really expecting him to be in stripes this upcoming season.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd give up Watson before Dorsey =/ No one has respect for Dorsey, but he's a beast.

But I'd keep Watson over picking up Alexander. I'm not saying Alexander's career is done, or that he's not good anymore - but it seems like a high risk low reward situation.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A RB like Alexander is the last thing we need...
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The price plus his high ability to become injured plus his lack of steady play plus his age equals a big no no!
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:46 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

even though he is a good RB, he is getting up there in age and he has injury issues. we have good, younger, healthy RBs. we dont really "need" him imo.
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Alexander will be visiting the bengals last now instead of first... I think he visited the saints first. Will be interesting to see when he gets down to us and no one wanted to pay him anything... and then we wont either bwuahahahaahha buwhahahaa
Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

From my understanding he already was in Cincinnati and has went on to New Orleans.
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6780

I also hear Denver is in the mix as well in regards to Alexander's services.
I say GOOD, I'm not real concerned about getting him in here. If it's cheap, Ok. If not, just say NO !!!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

ah, well then he went to cincy but didnt discuss any money or something...he will return to cincy after everyone else and then talk money...

I personally dont want him.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't either, regardless of price. I'd rather have Watson, Perry and Irons than him.

If Seattle is willing to dump him for TJ Duckett and Julius Jones that should tell you something. I know money was an issue but still...
Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh if Rudi is like Rudi of old, we dont need him or the cap hit.
If Rudi is Rudi of last year, we need help.
I cannot in all honesty say I believe Watson and Perry can carry the load of carries between the two of them.
Watson because I just dont see it in him, Perry because the PUP or IR is always knocking on his door. And I always fall for the ol' "Chris Perry is healthy" trick.

Irons, I could see being a good solid RB when he gets back.
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:43 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not enough love for DeDe in this thread, in an article on bengals.com Bob Bratowski said he thinks DeDe will see the ball as much as watson

Quote:
GH: Have you changed up blocking schemes or plays?
BB: We do that every year, changing blocking schemes and plays. We're planning right now using a mix of Rudi, Kenny and DeDe. Rather of just saying, "Rudi, you'll get every snap," we'll dedicate some series to Kenny and DeDe.

Kenny and DeDe have some spark to them. They can generate big runs down the field. We've been near the bottom of the league in runs over 20 yards. That's not all on Rudi ... somehow we have to find a way to generate those longer runs.

whole article here (Though, if you're visiting this thread you've probably already read it): http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6784
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:03 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Depends on what happens with Irons I suppose. If he opens on IR there's more flexibility there. Otherwise Alexander is going to eat a roster spot for guys I have at least as much faith in.

I don't see Watson getting cut, if Perry is healthy I surely hope he isn't cut... Then if they do have faith in DeDe, that's 5 RB's once Irons is back.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:21 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Well, with a healthy Rudi and Perry, you still have Irons, Watson, and Dorsey. If you add a 31 year old Alexander, who goes ?? I guess you could PUP Irons if he's not ready, but we also have Jeremi Johnson as well. Watson is the fallback if any of the mentioned goes down. Irons isn't going anywhere obviously. That leaves Rudi and Perry. I for one am always hoping for Perry to stay healthy, but that is certainly NOT a given. If Rudi is the Rudi of last year, is there really a reason to keep him on ?? His base salary for this year and next could make him an attractive reason to cut load...

We shall see, but yes, I'm hoping to see saw more of Dorsey as well.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

If Rudi is the Rudi of last year than we don't need him. He will simply be dragging the team down. Then again Rudi has never really been that great.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Wow, hard to find people who are willing to admit they really don't think Rudi is all that great... I personally hold that view as well. I loved what he brought to the team after the Corey Dillon episode, but he's not the standout RB threat most teams look for. He's a more than solid and can run between the tackles, but at his best, you need not look any further than the o-line in front of him. That 2005 o-line was just sick !!! Hell I could have run for 1200 yards behind THAT line...
Old 05-10-2008, 11:47 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think he's a solid RB, just isn't the best fit with our offense. Chris Perry, when healthy is what our offense needs.

In 2005 I wanted Perry to get a bulk of the carries and Rudi even had a pretty good year. This is the reason I wouldn't have been too terribly mad if we somehow took Mendenhall/Stewart in the first.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:02 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

Yea I have been in the Perry camp since he was drafted. Rudi is allright but thats all he is. He is nothing special at all. Chris Perry has the ability to be a feature back. A Brian Westbrook style back that gets alot of short screens and quick dumps and stuff. He doesn't have the abilities of Westbrook. I really havn't seen Perry rush much because he is injured so often. I will ride the Perry train until they cut him though. =) So hopefully they never cut him.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Anyone know what the deal with Irons is ?? Last I read, it seems he might be on the PUP. Funny how it takes some so much longer to recover from the same injury. Look at Carson. I'm mean WOW !!!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

Some people just heal faster than others. Then again there are those that want to heal faster than others.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

I get the whole some heal faster than others, but I think you hit the nail on the head with, "some WANT to heal faster than others" part. I'm not saying Irons doesn't want to heal faster and God knows a RB recovering from this type of injury is different than say a QB, but it's just odd at how there can be such a differential...
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 AM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

yea, exactly! Look at the situation Irons is in. He is maybe at best the 4th Runningback on the team. His best chances of getting a spot starting is wait out a year to wait and see if Rudi and Perry are gonna pan out. If they don't then he gets a stab at it next year.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

In all seriousness, I'm hoping they just PUP Irons and take the cautious route with him. He has great potential, but would hate to see him come back to early and risk further injury. I still think a healthy Chris Perry will be a huge difference this year for not only the offense, but for Rudi as well...
Old 05-13-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

A healthy Chris Perry will make this offense dynamically better. Alot of people discount the Perry factor. He is one of the reasons the offense was so good in 05. He is a huge difference maker.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Everyone keeps discounting him as a RB, I only see talk of Dorsey/Watson/Rudi really. I can't see keeping 4 RB's but who knows...