Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Should get some opportunities down in the desert this saturday night. I think sometimes 5 star guys get a reputation that they are automatically going to be great and that isnt always the case. Stafford has a great and accurate arm but you're right he needs to show more.
Hello Rhett Bomar! :D
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:18 PM    (permalink
STARHEATHER
Veteran

STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER

i actually got the tape. stafford was pretty inaccurate. he throws a good ball and threw a few nice ones. problem is the other 20 werent good. a guy should have made a catch on the td pass but he was also open and could have been hit standing up staffords throw made the catch more difficult. he had a pick called back on a questionable interference call on a pass that was way underthrown intodouble coverage. he threw into double coverage when he had guys wide open on multiple occasions. he has happy feetand doesnt do a good job of standing in the pocket and delivering under duress and his throwing on the move wasnt top notch. threw several balls out of bounds on deep balls when he had single coverage and could have had a play. he has a decent quick release and throws a good laser, but his touch is lacking and he struggled tokeep the ball in the field of play on deep balls and threw them too much on a line. his ball looks good when he throws it, but it generally doesnt go to best possible place. a couple balls hit receivers in the hands but none of the throws were right on the money easy ones. he throws low and behind on a lot of his intermediate routes. his ball looks a lot better than the results of his throws. he has a pretty good arm but shaky decision making and accuracy at this point. he could be a rd 1 pick if he starts to throw the ball better at some point. at this point hes not an nfl qb worthy of a high selection. but i think youre looking more like an aaron rodgers clone than a peyton manning clone.
STARHEATHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Can we let the guy play this year before we talk about bad decision making and inconsistency? It's not how you start your college career, it's how you end it. There have been tons of examples of this. Look at Stafford's numbers so far.

Georgia Southern: 62%, 2 TD, 0 INT
Central Michigan: 64%, 2 TD, 0 INT
South Carolina: 60%, 0 TD, 0 INT (4 dropped passes)

Through 3 games he's thrown consistently over 60% and has yet to make a bad decision. I don't know how he's going to finish the season, but through three games he's completed a very respectable number of his passes despite having a poor receiving corps and has yet to throw an INT.
Georgia Southern? Central Michigan? If every QB who completed 60% of their passes with a couple touchdowns against these guys was a top pick, every team in the first round would go quarterback. The QB from Austin Peay threw two scores a week after against GS. Do you think he'll get drafted? Me neither.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 PM    (permalink
STARHEATHER
Veteran

STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER

he throws a decent laser, but it doesnt seem to go to the right spot very often.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
he throws a decent laser, but it doesnt seem to go to the right spot very often.
Are you trying to say that Scott Wright doesnt know what he's talking about?:)
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
"Decent" Laser...lol, wow

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM    (permalink
STARHEATHER
Veteran

whats wrong with a decent laser? not too many guys throwing any kinds of laser. maybe 2or 3? he doesnt throw like jamarcus russell. i even said i thought he could be a rd 1 pick. he just isnt right now. if you were picking late in rd 1 and needed a qb he might be worth a shot. the idea that this dude is somehow peyton manning is false. i see a david carr future if hes a high pick. hes going to need time to learn and have a good team. hes not the type who can take you there on his own shoulders on offense. hes a potential game manager with nfl armstrength at this point at best. now if he goes out against a topopponent and has a great game or 2 and throws the ball well i may reconsider but at this point, no way. hasnt shown nearly enough. he needs to show he can take them to the next level. he needs to carry the team a few times.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
Can we let the guy play this year before we talk about bad decision making and inconsistency? It's not how you start your college career, it's how you end it. There have been tons of examples of this. Look at Stafford's numbers so far.

Georgia Southern: 62%, 2 TD, 0 INT
Central Michigan: 64%, 2 TD, 0 INT
South Carolina: 60%, 0 TD, 0 INT (4 dropped passes)

Through 3 games he's thrown consistently over 60% and has yet to make a bad decision. I don't know how he's going to finish the season, but through three games he's completed a very respectable number of his passes despite having a poor receiving corps and has yet to throw an INT.
WHen someone is being touted as the best QB in an entire draft class and a top 3 pick in the entire draft class, they deserve to be scrutinized.

It's not the completion percentage either. I know his WRs dropped some passes. But he also missed some guys who were wide open. Not just in terms of accuracy but in terms of making a bad read. And the only reason he didn't have a pick was because of a terrible PI call. He's still yet to put up respectable stats against South Carolina. In fact most of the times Stafford plays a great defense his numbers suffer.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:12 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
And the only reason he didn't have a pick was because of a terrible PI call. He's still yet to put up respectable stats against South Carolina. In fact most of the times Stafford plays a great defense his numbers suffer.
The interception that was called back it was clearly PI the DB was all over Massaquoi. Your wrong about him not playing good agianst good defenses it's the oppsite. His worst game of his career game agianst Kentucky last year and his two of his best agianst Auburn and UF. He also had a bad game agianst SC last year, but alot of that was drops by WR.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
The interception that was called back it was clearly PI the DB was all over Massaquoi. Your wrong about him not playing good agianst good defenses it's the oppsite. His worst game of his career game agianst Kentucky last year and his two of his best agianst Auburn and UF. He also had a bad game agianst SC last year, but alot of that was drops by WR.
He underthrew his WR by at least 10 yards on that play.

It's the opposite you say? That's laughable.

Let's take a look at last year. STafford played a defense ranked in the top 25 in pass defense 5 times. (6 if you include pass efficiency D)

In only one of those games did he not throw a pick and those combined games he has as many INTs as TDs.

Florida had one of the worst pass defenses in the nation last yer. Even ranked worse than Florida International. It was only against teams with atrocious secondaries like UF, OSU, and Western Carolina did Stafford really make his numbers respectable.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He underthrew his WR by at least 10 yards on that play.

It's the opposite you say? That's laughable.

Let's take a look at last year. STafford played a defense ranked in the top 25 in pass defense 5 times. (6 if you include pass efficiency D)

In only one of those games did he not throw a pick and those combined games he has as many INTs as TDs.

Florida had one of the worst pass defenses in the nation last yer. Even ranked worse than Florida International. It was only against teams with atrocious secondaries like UF, OSU, and Western Carolina did Stafford really make his numbers respectable.
Those 5 teams you talked about is manily because of one terrible game agianst Kentucky where he had 99 yards and 2 interceptions. I still wouldn't consider Kentucky a elite pass defense even if they finished 25th in the county. There rush defense was so bad most teams didn't have to pass on them. I agree that his production needs to get better.

The South Carolina game wasn't his best, but Tony Wilson still droped what would have been the game winning/ go ahead TD.

Last edited by georgiafan : 09-17-2008 at 01:57 PM.
georgiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we saw the real Matt Stafford on saturday night against the Sundevils.Let me say i really dont know how good ASU is but they're usually pretty good and well coached. For the first time i can remember that Stafford has been in Georgia his receiving corp stepped up, mainly AJ Green. Like i alluded to in the college game thread it looked like Aikman out there throwing to Michael Irvin. If it were the Gallup poll it would be Stafford 50%-Sanchez 44% with independant voters going for Tim Tebow.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:30 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

Quote:
I think we saw the real Matt Stafford on saturday night against the Sundevils.Let me say i really dont know how good ASU is but they're usually pretty good and well coached. For the first time i can remember that Stafford has been in Georgia his receiving corp stepped up, mainly AJ Green. Like i alluded to in the college game thread it looked like Aikman out there throwing to Michael Irvin. If it were the Gallup poll it would be Stafford 50%-Sanchez 44% with independant voters going for Tim Tebow.
As far as pro prospectus or Heisman?

Either way that is very flawed. No way it's 94% between Sanchez and Stafford with no Sam Bradford in the discussion and Tebow that far behind.

What we saw on Saturday night was certainly the big time arm of Matthew Stafford. But there is a thing called consistency that you look for in a QB.

Tarvaris Jackson has a gun for an arm. He is a great example of what poor decision making and lack of consistency can do to negate it.

Obviously Stafford is not an example of that extreme, but he is certainly not shown he is worthy of a top 3 pick right now.

This isn't the NBA where guys should be drafted solely off of glimpses and not production. The guys who are usually are not very successful

Last edited by BBIB : 09-21-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
As far as pro prospectus or Heisman?

Either way that is very flawed. No way it's 94% between Sanchez and Stafford with no Sam Bradford in the discussion and Tebow that far behind.

What we saw on Saturday night was certainly the big time arm of Matthew Stafford. But there is a thing called consistency that you look for in a QB.

Tarvaris Jackson has a gun for an arm. He is a great example of what poor decision making and lack of consistency can do to negate it.

Obviously Stafford is not an example of that extreme, but he is certainly not shown he is worthy of a top 3 pick right now.

This isn't the NBA where guys should be drafted solely off of glimpses and not production. The guys who are usually are not very successful
I was just doing a little Obama 50% McCain 44% just trying to have some fun. Let me try to put it as simple as i can. Stafford will be the #1 pick and it will either be Detroit, KC or the Rams. If i'm wrong i'll be the 1st to admit it, i dont think i will.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 AM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Josh Freeman gets 1012132% of the vote through magic

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 AM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

Quote:
I was just doing a little Obama 50% McCain 44% just trying to have some fun. Let me try to put it as simple as i can. Stafford will be the #1 pick and it will either be Detroit, KC or the Rams. If i'm wrong i'll be the 1st to admit it, i dont think i will.
Whatever QB in this draft goes to Detroit will look like the best QB from the class seeing how they will get Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams.

Someone with the arm strength like Stafford would be perfect for that situation.

I feel for the QB that has to go to Kansas City though. That just screams bad situation.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Whatever QB in this draft goes to Detroit will look like the best QB from the class seeing how they will get Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams.

Someone with the arm strength like Stafford would be perfect for that situation.

I feel for the QB that has to go to Kansas City though. That just screams bad situation.
At least we've admitted to rebuilding. Whoever comes here can help shape this team for a lot of years. And our oline situation is sort of fixed. Sort of. I hate Damion McIntosh.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have yet to see Stafford show me the consistancy to be the #1 overall pick. He has a lot of the features of a #1 pick but his consistancy would worry me if I were making the pick. Of course the season still has a long ways to go but he isn't there yet and right now I don't have him as a top 3 pick.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I have yet to see Stafford show me the consistancy to be the #1 overall pick. He has a lot of the features of a #1 pick but his consistancy would worry me if I were making the pick. Of course the season still has a long ways to go but he isn't there yet and right now I don't have him as a top 3 pick.
I dont think anyone is a lock to go #1 right now, in the case of Stafford i think the discussion should be is he the 1st QB taken and it's hard to see where he wouldnt be.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont think anyone is a lock to go #1 right now, in the case of Stafford i think the discussion should be is he the 1st QB taken and it's hard to see where he wouldnt be.

As a lover of the draft I hope they all develop to their full potential, that's what would make the draft even better. However, in the real world, that's isn't always the case. Stafford has a lot going for him but I cannot see into his head to know if he has that certain 'it' that guarantees a successful QB.
At this point I feel that since the better QB prospects are all juniors, it is going to be a very tough job evaluating them since coming out as a junior hasn't guaranteed a whole lot of success so far.
Maybe none of them declare and take their chances in returning to school knowing that this extra year might work in their favour. I just don't know but right now I don't think at this stage that Stafford is a sure thing. He has a long ways to go this year and maybe the light comes on at some point and he begins to look unbeatable and takes the next step. That what I always find interesting as a draftnik. Being excited when that light goes on and being disappointed when it stays at off. It is just too early to assess right now IMO.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
At least we've admitted to rebuilding. Whoever comes here can help shape this team for a lot of years. And our oline situation is sort of fixed. Sort of. I hate Damion McIntosh.
I actually forgot about Dwayne Bowe who is a pretty good target although obviously not exacty the duo of the Lions.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I actually forgot about Dwayne Bowe who is a pretty good target although obviously not exacty the duo of the Lions.
Bowe is a good receiver, Will Franklin will surprise people, and we still have Tony Gonzalez, with our running game (which needs a bit of work). He'll have targets. We have some decent starters on offense. Our line just needs to be fixed and we need someone who can get them the ball.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
Bowe is a good receiver, Will Franklin will surprise people, and we still have Tony Gonzalez, with our running game (which needs a bit of work). He'll have targets. We have some decent starters on offense. Our line just needs to be fixed and we need someone who can get them the ball.
Plus Branden Albert is already a stud pass blocker

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Old 09-22-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adschofield View Post
Plus Branden Albert is already a stud pass blocker
It has nothing to do with Stafford, but Eugene Monroe is better!

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my decent laser itches
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote