Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Farce Continues: 'Spygate' reopens?

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter called today for an independent investigation into the Patriots' illegal taping practices, citing what he called an obvious conflict between the interest of the NFL and the public interest.

"After a lot of consideration it's my judgment that there ought to be an impartial investigation, an outside investigation, like the [steroids] investigation that baseball had with former [Maine] Senator George Mitchell," said Specter at a Capitol Hill news conference.

Specter, who is the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, stopped short of saying the government would conduct an investigation if the NFL didn't do so, but didn't rule out Congressional hearings to look into the matter, if action wasn't taken.

Specter met with former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh for three hours yesterday in his Hart Senate Office Building office. He said that Walsh told him that a former offensive player for the Patriots told Walsh a few days before a Sept. 11, 2000 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that the offensive player was called into a meeting with head coach Bill Belichick, then offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and Belichick confidant Ernie Adams. During the meeting it was explained to the player how the signal tapes would be used.

According to Specter's recount of what Walsh detailed to him, the offensive player, who was on the sidelines for the game, would memorize the signals then watch for the Tampa Bay defensive calls during the game. He would then pass the call along to Weis, who would give instructions to the quarterback on the field.

Specter's statement said that the offensive player told Walsh that it helped the Patriots anticipate 75 percent of the defensive plays being called.

The senator also said that Walsh, who worked for the Patriots from 1997 to 2003, told him that as a season-ticket holder he witnessed Steve Scarnecchia, the son of Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia and currently the New York Jets video director, taping games during the 2002, 2003 and 2004 seasons.

The games that Specter cited, according to his meeting with Walsh, were Sept. 9, 2002 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Nov. 16, 2003, against the Dallas Cowboys and Oct. 31, 2004 against the Steelers, a 34-20 New England loss that ended their record 21-game winning streak.

According to Specter, Walsh didn't tell NFL commissioner Roger Goodell about witnessing those games because he was not asked.

Specter said he was also troubled by the fact that Walsh told him that Dan Goldberg, whom Walsh identified as a Patriots attorney, was present at his NFL interview and allowed to ask questions. Specter, a former Philadelphia district attorney, said such a practice "strains credulity."

"What is necessary is an objective investigation," said Specter. "This has not been objective."
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...r_calls_f.html

Interesting report, but you have to start to wonder about Walsh's credibility at this point. The possibility of this dragging into an epic public inquiry vis a vis the MLB steroids blemish is perhaps a step too far...

Also, from a legality standpoint, I was previously under the impression that it was the videotaping of signals that was illegal whereas watching the and relaying them from the sidelines was simply 'bad form.' Is that incorrect?
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I think video taping signals is the thing people didn't like. I mean even in baseball people have been trying to steal signals. So stealing or trying to stealing isn't a bad thing, but using recording devices to aid to do it is going a bit far. I have no problem with trying to steal them with the naked eye.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
my future me
Veteran

my future me hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Somebody's lying because Goodell said during his press conference yesterday that he asked Walsh about any other information that he (Goodell) should know. The stuff about Scarnecchia taping from the stands is kind of mute because thats not against the rules.

P.S. I don't trust Specter's motives because I listened to his interview a couple of months back with WEEI in Boston, and also his ties to Comcast.

Here's the link:
http://audio.weei.com/m/18414823/arl...er&match=QUERY

Quote:
Host: So in its embryonic stage this really did have its seeds in your concerns -- the patriots might have stolen the Super Bowl from your Eagles?
Specter: That's right
Host: To put it another way, if you weren't an Eagle fan you might not be interested in this?
Specter: Well, I wouldn't have . . . it wouldn't have triggered my thinking. And as I say it triggered my thinking 'cause the Patriots and the Eagles were about to play a game [that was] scheduled in November.

Later in the interview:
Host: Senator, let me apologize at the outset here if you believe this question to be impertanant. Any connection here that your second largest contributer, Comcast (153,000 dollars to your campaign) and the feud that Comcast is having with the NFL. Comcast in a nutshell doesn't want to pay the NFL Network for its programming. If you rattle the NFL's cage with the anti-trust comment be beneficial to Comcast?
Specter: I do not think so. I've been concerned about the NFL long before Comcast was on the seen. My interest goes back more than two decades.

Last edited by my future me : 05-14-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Clarification
my future me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What raises most of the curiosity is why did Goodell destroy the tapes?
I think that leads a lot of ppl to believing he is hiding something
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care anymore. Simple as that. No more punishment will happen and the Pats lost a 1st round draft pick. That's all folks.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God Specter needs to stop and let it go.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh **** Specter let it go already. It's over and done with. Find a way to make gas less than $3.60 a gallon and then you can start talking about football.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
I don't care anymore. Simple as that. No more punishment will happen and the Pats lost a 1st round draft pick. That's all folks.
Thats true. Nothing else will be done for this matter. Tapes were destroyed, and if the Pats did have anything else they taped, I am sure they have destroyed it by now.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:14 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I agree do your job and let the comish do his. Piss off specter

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Specter: Walsh indicated Jets taped as well

May 14, 2008 12:34 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Sen. Arlen Specter said former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh indicated he saw the Jets taping signals at one point during a Jets-Patriots game, but Walsh did not say anything about it at the time. Specter also thinks the NFL hasn't done enough to investigate the Patriots' taping practices in 2003, 2004 and 2005, even though Walsh told him he observed the Patriots taping signals from the stands after Walsh had left the organization as an employee.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks...d-as-well.html
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
QFT. WHO CARES ANYMORE?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Someone needs to take out Walsh before he becomes McNamee
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Arlen Specter just won't let this go, oh well, guess he doesn't have anything more important to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Oh **** Specter let it go already. It's over and done with. Find a way to make gas less than $3.60 a gallon and then you can start talking about football.
Dang. We are up to $4.15 in Oakland.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's about $5 a gallon in England I believe, and only going up.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Watchman
Veteran

Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.Watchman could make a wolverine purr.

I think the Pats lost to the Bucs in 2000.

My Grandfather
Watchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
It's about $5 a gallon in England I believe, and only going up.
Shhhh, you have the fuel efficient cars and good public transportation.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its about $9 in Germany...and we have the autobahn!

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goddell just wants to sweep this under the rug and not think about it, like Selig and steroids.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

I don't think anymore punishment can hurt the pats more than the giant * next to all their titles.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:41 PM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
What raises most of the curiosity is why did Goodell destroy the tapes?
I think that leads a lot of ppl to believing he is hiding something
Probably because at that time, Goodell anticipating becoming such a big deal. He watched the tapes, saw what he needed to see, and was done with them.

"The Pats were stealing signals. Nothing new there....EVERYBODY steals signals. Except the Pats were using a video camera, even after I sent out a memo reminding everyone that cameras were prohibited. Smug little pricks. Okay, I'll fine them $750,000...and I'll even take away their first round pick, for good measure.

"Well, now that that's taken care of.... (presses button on intercom) Mildred, could you ask the cleaning crew to pick up this box of old videotapes? Thanks....."
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more Arlen Specter tries to beat this dead horse the more obvious it becomes that he has a alternative motive fueled by Comcast aimed to blemish the NFL's reputation. The fact he wants a mitchell report like investigation into this is ridiculous, just let it go Specter.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:40 AM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I doubt Specter's involvement is anything as nefarious as a smear campaign......I think the guy is just a disgruntled Eagles fan.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:25 AM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hcu-wa...,7698659.story

Quote:
Walsh To Appear On HBO

By DAVID HEUSCHKEL | The Hartford Courant 10:27 PM EDT, May 14, 2008

Former Patriots employee Matt Walsh did an interview with Andrea Kremer that will air on HBO's "Real Sports" Friday at 8 p.m.

Walsh received no compensation for the one-time interview, HBO spokesman Raymond Stallone said.

Among the topics that Walsh talked about was his knowledge of and participation in the video spying/signal stealing operation, which he said began at the top levels of the coaching staff and extended to the team itself.

Walsh, who worked as a video assistant for the Patriots, recalled a conversation he had with a player on the team after the 2000 season opener against Tampa Bay.

"I had spoken with one of our quarterbacks, uh, that said, he was called into Coach [Bill] Belichick's office shortly before the Tampa Bay game," Walsh said. "In the office was Ernie Adams, Charlie Weis, and Coach Belichick. They closed the door, Charlie said to him, 'You know, we've got tape of the Buccaneers' coaches defensive signals. What we're going to do is have you learn this, then we're going to have you next to Charlie on the sideline, when he's calling in the play to Drew [Bledsoe, the starting quarterback], over the coach-to-quarterback communication system. Drew's got the, the earpiece in the helmet, and you're going to tell Charlie the defense that's being called, and we're going to relay the information, or use that in calling the ball into Drew.' Um, the quarterback, you know, later told me that within two to three seconds when [Tampa Bay defensive coordinator] Monte Kiffin sent a play call into [Tampa Bay safety] John Lynch, Drew Bledsoe had it in his helmet."

The Patriots lost the game, 21-16. But Walsh said the Patriots quarterback told him that the spying yielded remarkable success.

"One of the quarterbacks told me, he said, probably about 75 percent of the time Tampa Bay ran the defense that we thought they were going to run," Walsh said.
Didn't want to start a new thread, but theres some "interesting" information in there. Should be an interesting program to watch, it will be on Friday on Real Sports on HBO.
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:32 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And The Football Gods (along with that wicked good d-line) dealt them a loss far greater than any draft pick. 18-1 just not quite the same as 19-0...