Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:31 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Would the Lions be better than the current Bengals if they had drafted Carson Palmer?

Pure conjecture, but it's the offseason, I'm bored, and I was wondering;

If the Bengals had taken Newman or someone (Carson was not considered 100% the right pick at number 1), and the Lions snagged him, what would the landscape of the NFL look like? The NFC North?

Probably pretty similiar to the current Bengals, but in a weak division you never know.

I'm thinking about this because a friend of mine (USC alumni) recently went on a rant about how Carson is being held back by the Bengals organization. I really do believe he will be a championship quarterback, but if the Bengals don't get on the ball soon he could be in trouble. Or changes might be forced.

Some stuff to consider:

Roy Williams vs. Chad Johnson
Defense...is it a wash?
How much of Carson's success is the Bengal's surprisingly tough O-line? Running game?
Poor Jon Kitna.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Every team except the Colts and Patriots would be better if they had Carson Palmer.

Last edited by eaglesfan_45 : 05-15-2008 at 08:53 PM.
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Palmer would get killed similar to Kitna. His o-line would make him look like a bust.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:35 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
I'm thinking about this because a friend of mine (USC alumni) recently went on a rant about how Carson is being held back by the Bengals organization.
I'm not 100% sure, but don't think being drafted by the Lions would remedy that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but don't think being drafted by the Lions would remedy that problem.
Thats pretty much what I was thinking if the Bengals are holding him back he would be no better off in Det.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah that discussion happened before I started thinking about the Lions. Picking number 2 that year, they were the obvious choice to snatch up CP if the Bengals passed. You could probably argue that Carson would have to deal with fewer criminals in DETROIT of all places, which is pretty ridiculous.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, I don't. As a Cincinnati Bengal.....

Carson Palmer never saw the field as a rookie except in the preseason. And you know what? He looked good as a rookie in the preseason, but that year gave him time to learn and adjust. I'm not sure the Lions would have been that smart. And remember, Roy was selected the next year, so as a rookie, Palmer would have nobody to throw to.

A good offensive line. Something the Bengals have had since Carson Palmer has been there. And there is nothing surprising about it. IIRC, both offensive tackles were top ten picks and Eric Steinbach was a steal at #33 for the Bengals. Meanwhile the Lions seem to have one of the worst in the league perpetually. Having that good offensive line does wonders for a QB's confidence, especially early in their career.

Marvin Lewis. I'd take him as a coach over anyone the Lions have had since '03. The Lions coaching could have harmed Palmer's development like I feel they did with Joey Harrington.

Also, if Carson Palmer hadn't been selected first, I think he would have fallen to fifth. Remember, Detroit and Houston just took QB's in the top three at that point.

And the Jets.... I think they would have taken Robertson over anyone. Plus at that point, Chad Pennington seemed like he was progressing as a QB.

Now, maybe Carson is being held back by the Bengals organization, but it could be a lot worse for him.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah that discussion happened before I started thinking about the Lions. Picking number 2 that year, they were the obvious choice to snatch up CP if the Bengals passed. You could probably argue that Carson would have to deal with fewer criminals in DETROIT of all places, which is pretty ridiculous.
Yea, and its tough to go beyond that also...Because you could argue Detroit with Carson would be at least good enough that they would miss out on Calvin surely and Roy maybe, Det was bad for so many years they had the luxury of picking in the top 10 many years...Granted they might still be bad, but record wise Carson probably would of increased their totals a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
Every team except the Colts and Giants would be better if they had Carson Palmer.
Ummmmmm the Pats?? Brady over Carson easily. You could make cases for a few other QB's. Until Eli won the superbowl and really turned it on alot of people questioned him and would take Carson over him.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
Ummmmmm the Pats?? Brady over Carson easily. You could make cases for a few other QB's. Until Eli won the superbowl and really turned it on alot of people questioned him and would take Carson over him.
My bad I meant to put the Pats. Whoops
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How in the world is the Bengals organization holding him back in his eyes? Obviously we're not rock solid, that's clear. But Carson gets to throw his brains out, over 25% of our cap is on Olineman (more than 25%, not sure how much more) and he has plenty of weapons.

The organization surprisingly did the right thing in putting emphasis on the offense in order to support Carson. They've put him in a great position. Now, the fact that he has a headcase WR is just the way things are. Seriously, about the only thing they've done right is realize what a talent Carson is and protecting him.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the raiders didnt draft gallery and draft pretty much anyone else in that draft, they would be better

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That really depends on do the Lions still draft Joey Harrington? If not then who do they get instead? If it is any of the next 10 players (save 1) taken afterwards and the rest of the drafts were the same then I'd be willing to say there is a possibility that Carson would be in a better situation than he is with the gaggle of misfits known as the Cincinnati Bengals as crazy as it may sound, The real question is are all these legendary QB gurus just too many chefs in the pot? Lions had Mooch, Martz, and now the QB coach from Michigan. Also no vet tutoring him. (I think Kitna did have a bit to do with Palmer's progression) If you think about it almost all of the top QBs had a vet present in their rookie careers. Tom Brady and Tony Romo both had Drew Bledsoe. Ben Rothlesburger had Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch. Matt Hasselbeck had Brett Favre. Peyton started right out but was the son of an NFL QB. Philip Rivers had Drew Brees. Eli had both Peyton and Archie. Vince Young had Billie Volek. You could go through nearly every QB starting for any NFL team and you will find at some point in their NFL or College career they had some sort of tutelage from a current or Ex NFL player. Those who didn't predominantly aren't that good. Trent Edwards, Kurt Warner, and Drew Brees are the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's the Lions. They always find ways to be even worse then the season prior.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they had picked Carson, everything wouldve changed every team every pick wouldve changed in 2004/05/06 etc so it doesnt make sense to compare it.
Change the 2 teams and ask? maybe but not like that

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 AM    (permalink
RaiderFan
Rookie

RaiderFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
If the raiders didnt draft gallery and draft pretty much anyone else in that draft, they would be better

Maybe a defensive player, but any offensive player would have been a bust for the Raiders. In the Raiders haven't had a offensive player have a great season since gannon won the MVP. Gallery had no chance........I wish would have drafted sean taylor at least the defense had continuity
RaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:15 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
No, I don't. As a Cincinnati Bengal.....

Carson Palmer never saw the field as a rookie except in the preseason. And you know what? He looked good as a rookie in the preseason, but that year gave him time to learn and adjust. I'm not sure the Lions would have been that smart. And remember, Roy was selected the next year, so as a rookie, Palmer would have nobody to throw to.

A good offensive line. Something the Bengals have had since Carson Palmer has been there. And there is nothing surprising about it. IIRC, both offensive tackles were top ten picks and Eric Steinbach was a steal at #33 for the Bengals. Meanwhile the Lions seem to have one of the worst in the league perpetually. Having that good offensive line does wonders for a QB's confidence, especially early in their career.

Marvin Lewis. I'd take him as a coach over anyone the Lions have had since '03. The Lions coaching could have harmed Palmer's development like I feel they did with Joey Harrington.

Also, if Carson Palmer hadn't been selected first, I think he would have fallen to fifth. Remember, Detroit and Houston just took QB's in the top three at that point.

And the Jets.... I think they would have taken Robertson over anyone. Plus at that point, Chad Pennington seemed like he was progressing as a QB.

Now, maybe Carson is being held back by the Bengals organization, but it could be a lot worse for him.
The fifth pick that year was the Dallas Cowboys. Imagine them having Carson right now. Scary.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
The fifth pick that year was the Dallas Cowboys. Imagine them having Carson right now. Scary.
Not really. Romo > Carson, IMO.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:55 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its impossible to project that the lions would have the same roster now if they drafted Carson you moron.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
and IMNSHO you = wrong.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:53 PM    (permalink
damasta13

lets not kid ourselves, we are talking about the lions, they would have taken a WR anyway!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
wow, just wow. Yet somehow I'm not surprised.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If the Bengals had taken Newman or someone (Carson was not considered 100% the right pick at number 1), and the Lions snagged him, what would the landscape of the NFL look like? The NFC North?
Major flaw in your little situation you got here. The Lions would not have drafted Palmer. They were tied to Joey Harrington and he still wasn't proven a complete bust at that point.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:36 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
haha, yes! blast them lions...

but like someone earlier said, i think any team but the pats and colts would be better off with carson.

hes sort of the forgotten man when people talk about franchise QBs because they bengals defense has been so awful its held him from accomplishing anything
Old 05-18-2008, 07:34 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

LOL at the guy calling me a moron, or saying there's a serious flaw in the logic of this thread. Of course there is; that's why I said it's complete conjecture. It's a discussion not a realistic analysis.