Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
thats also true, but id still consider that a cheap deal. the way money gets thrown around in FA, he wouldve gotten more than that on the open market.

its kind of surprising when you think about it, why some players don't enter FA and decide to extend contracts with their team without testing the market. they lose a significant amount of money by doing that. i guess comfort and the chance of living in one place for the rest of their career supercedes money at that point.
That, plus I think that the player does it in good faith that he'll be able to re-negotiate for a pay raise if he outplays the contract. It's never bad to have good chemistry between a player/agent and a front office.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
That, plus I think that the player does it in good faith that he'll be able to re-negotiate for a pay raise if he outplays the contract. It's never bad to have good chemistry between a player/agent and a front office.
Fear of injury? With reminders like Kevin Everett, playing the last season of a contract is a scary thing. Lose some ligaments and your not getting what your worth in the offseason. I know this, I don't want to enter FA after a season ending injury.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

also once you are a multi millionaire, having that bit more just doesnt seem to make much difference
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
also once you are a multi millionaire, having that bit more just doesnt seem to make much difference
That should be the case but many players don't see it that way sadly.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
IMO a top 5 LT in the league hes a fantastic character guy and he does his job with no fuss, totally underrated, deserves every penny
This is the NFL forum, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:09 AM    (permalink
jetsfan0099
Rookie

jetsfan0099 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
They are giving cheaper contracts to better players at the same position all over the place.

Economically when you look at the contracts of David Diehl, Justib Tuck, Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, Plaxico Burress.....we have smart financial decisions across the board and that is apparantly a tough thing to do in today's NFL.
David Diehl doesn't impress me at all. He is horrible at pass protection, whenever I watch he has trouble, Roos is much better. Diehl is nowhere near the upper tier of LT.
jetsfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, I think the Diehl extension - as much as the Giants tried to keep it completely under wraps - could very well open a can of worms for the G-Men. This could light a match to the potential fuse, with some guys wanting to get paid much more than they are, after having won a Super Bowl and now this happens.

We'll see how it plays out.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan0099 View Post
David Diehl doesn't impress me at all. He is horrible at pass protection, whenever I watch he has trouble, Roos is much better. Diehl is nowhere near the upper tier of LT.
Roos is without a doubt a better pass protector, but he does not hold Diehl's jock when it comes to run blocking.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Quote:
Roos is without a doubt a better pass protector, but he does not hold Diehl's jock when it comes to run blocking.
I definately disagree. Love Diehl, but he's not that much better than Roos in run blocking to negate Roos' pass rushing.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:29 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Homerism: Seeing a thread about the Titans signing their left tackle to a new deal, and your first response is "The Giants are great at signing deals!"
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Homerism: Seeing a thread about the Titans signing their left tackle to a new deal, and your first response is "The Giants are great at signing deals!"
Not really, homerism would be lambasting the titans for this signing because my team signed player x for significantly less and saying player x is significantly better when player x is not significantly better. What #10 did was being overly focused on his team and taking something that should be put up in the giants forum and posting it in the NFL forum.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

I love how you guys make your own little rules here. Take the blinders off and realize what transpired here-

The Titans signed Roos...to a deal that I think is too big for him. I then, considering the fact this is not the Titans board, brought up how despite the fact that too much money is being thrown around to mediocre talent, there are still teams, the Giants in particular, are being efficient with their cash.

Did not think it would be a difficult concept to latch on to but hey, understandable considering who is making an issue of it.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-18-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love how you guys make your own little rules here. Take the blinders off and realize what transpired here-

The Titans signed Roos...to a deal that I think is too big for him. I then, considering the fact this is not the Titans board, brought up how despite the fact that too much money is being thrown around to mediocre talent, there are still teams, the Giants in particular, are being efficient with their cash.

Did not think it would be a difficult concept to latch on to but hey, understandable considering who is making an issue of it.
You think that deal is too big for a top 5 LT who is only 25?
Old 05-18-2008, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
You think that deal is too big for a top 5 LT who is only 25?
(I don't think he is a top 5 LT in the NFL)

hence the overpaid part.....
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-18-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
(I don't think he is a top 5 LT in the NFL)

hence the overpaid part.....
To each his own I guess but he is definitely up there IMO.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Jason Peters
Joe Thomas
Marcus McNeill
Chris Samuels
Chad Clifton
Walter Jones

Those guys are on a higher level than Roos in my opinion. I think he falls in the same tier as

Levi Jones
Matt Light
Bryant McKinnie
Flozell Adams
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Quote:
Jason Peters
Joe Thomas
Marcus McNeill
Chris Samuels
Chad Clifton
Walter Jones

Those guys are on a higher level than Roos in my opinion. I think he falls in the same tier as

Levi Jones
Matt Light
Bryant McKinnie
Flozell Adams
I'd put him above Samuels and Clifton, and even though Joe Thomas had a great rookie year, Roos has done it for 3 years so he's right there with him.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jason Peters
Joe Thomas
Marcus McNeill
Chris Samuels
Chad Clifton
Walter Jones

Levi Jones
Matt Light
Bryant McKinnie
Flozell Adams
At this point of their careers Samuels, Clifton, and Jones have no where to go but down. Roos on the other hand can still be developed further.

McNeill isn't at Roos level, but he could go their and higher. Thomas is the only one on that list I would take if I HAD to now.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jason Peters
Joe Thomas
Marcus McNeill
Chris Samuels
Chad Clifton
Walter Jones

Levi Jones
Matt Light
Bryant McKinnie
Flozell Adams
Even where you rated him, his pricetag is still a steal. Flozell Adams just signed basically the same deal, and he's much older. We have Guards getting 50+ million, heck Faneca just got comparable money to Roos at LG, so in the grand scheme of things this was a great signing for the Titans.

As for Diehl, he's a PB LG, but a solid to adequate LT. He struggles with speed rushers and lets not forget Adalius Thomas owning him in the SB.

Diehl's deal was a steal as well. Both were great deals.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

Jason Peters might be the only tackle I'd rather sign to a long term deal so roos' contract was a steal. He's a great pass blocker and is a beast run blocking. He moves well and really shutsdown edge rushers while being able to push back run blockers. His technique can and will still get better so I really don't see much more he could do. Tennessee's oline's run blocking is seriously underapreciated. A gimped up Lendale White shouldn't have ran for as many yards as he did but he was able to cause they made holes that didn't close up on him.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10

You obviously don't know much about the Titans organization then.

Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt's previous job was the salary cap manager for the Seattle Seahawks. His job was to advise Seattle's GM on how to spend money wisely. To say that he would spend money foolishly as the Titans GM is incorrect. In fact, MR let Antwan Odom, Travis LaBoy, and Jacob Bell seek large contracts in FA this past season instead of signing them long-term. He knew those players weren't worth large contracts, so he decided not to spend the money.

Michael Roos is a franchise LT, and is considered to be a Top 5 LT in the league. You may disagree, but you are in the minority with that opinion. He deserves a Top 5 contract, and you are the only one who disagrees with that.

Some recent OL signings:
LT/LG David Deihl signed for 6-years/$31 million.
LG Jacob Bell signed for 6-years/$36 million/$13 million guaranteed.
LT Michael Roos signed for 6-years/$43 million/$15 million guaranteed.
OT Jake Long signed for 5-years/$57.75 million/$30 million guaranteed.

Right now, Michael Roos is the best player of that group. He makes only $7 million more than Jacob Bell, and makes much less than rookie Jake Long. David Deihl was a good signing, but he isn't even on Roos's level, so to compare contracts with them is stupid.

If anything, Deihl was over-payed. He was signed through 2011, and was in the third year of a 6-year/$15.5 million. The Giants could have waited on a contract, but went ahead and signed him to another long-term contract. Roos was playing on his 2nd RD pick rookie contract and played at a higher level than Diehl, so it's only fair that his contract matches his level of play.

But yeah, good on the Giants for being so far ahead of the curve by signing a player to a contract that matches his level of play. I have no clue how they do it!

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote