Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Will He Be Traded?
Yes 10 20.41%
No 39 79.59%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, but to suggest that Dallas will get anything significant for him is ludicrous.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, the only two options i see for 'Ol Roy are staying on the team and improving his play, or getting cut after once June hits.

Obviously, no one is gonna want to give up what this guy potentially has in his skill-set, so there's no reason to trade him for peanuts, like most people would want. No matter how negatively you think of the guy, he still has the potential to play like a pro-bowler, but he's just so screwed up in the head right now and overweight (last season) that it's not allowing him to do so.

I think he stays on the team this year, then after the season if they're still disappointed with his play-to-pay ratio, then i can see them trying to move him. Some team will take a chance and give up a second day pick for him, cause no matter what, this guy still racks up tackles.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:57 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
the truth is, he was never the player Cowboys fans hyped him up to be, and over the course of his career has proven that.
It always gets me when people say this, what or where have you seen Cowboys fans hyping Roy up? Seriously, I cannot find one single fan, blogger, news writer, or coach who speaks highly of him, period...So I don't get where people go off saying he was never the player 'Cowboy fans' hyped him to be, we have always tried to make the best of it....Now when he was playing alongside Woodson he was a playmaker and that cannot be denied, but since he started his decline NO ONE has been hyping him up what so ever and its not even close.

With that being said, he's on his way to being cut anyway, he's out on passing downs, he doesn't wrap up on runs, I'll take a 4th or 5th if somebody wants to risk it and call it a win....We won't get anymore then that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
It always gets me when people say this, what or where have you seen Cowboys fans hyping Roy up? Seriously, I cannot find one single fan, blogger, news writer, or coach who speaks highly of him, period...So I don't get where people go off saying he was never the player 'Cowboy fans' hyped him to be, we have always tried to make the best of it....Now when he was playing alongside Woodson he was a playmaker and that cannot be denied, but since he started his decline NO ONE has been hyping him up what so ever and its not even close.

With that being said, he's on his way to being cut anyway, he's out on passing downs, he doesn't wrap up on runs, I'll take a 4th or 5th if somebody wants to risk it and call it a win....We won't get anymore then that.
3 seasons ago there was plenty of hype. Basically ever since he was drafted until 2 seasons ago.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
3 seasons ago there was plenty of hype. Basically ever since he was drafted until 2 seasons ago.
Before 2 seasons ago was before he turned into the worst safety every, and at that point I believe he was putting up decent stats, enough to salvage hope, thats not the case now...People always want to assume Cowboys fans are hyping up Roy when its not even close to the picture, he was drafted and his first 2 years were great...Before 2 seasons he was coming off 2.5 sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT's, and was still a playmaker in the secondary, why should us as Cowboys fans at that point consider him trash?

That season doesn't even come close to this last one, so there is a reason for that...Lets not act like he was trash ever since he was drafted now because you know better then that.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Before 2 seasons ago was before he turned into the worst safety every, and at that point I believe he was putting up decent stats, enough to salvage hope, thats not the case now...People always want to assume Cowboys fans are hyping up Roy when its not even close to the picture, he was drafted and his first 2 years were great...Before 2 seasons he was coming off 2.5 sacks, 3 FF, 3 INT's, and was still a playmaker in the secondary, why should us as Cowboys fans at that point consider him trash?

That season doesn't even come close to this last one, so there is a reason for that...Lets not act like he was trash ever since he was drafted now because you know better then that.
He was a good safety. But I'm not sure he really ever deserved any of his pro bowls.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
He was a good safety. But I'm not sure he really ever deserved any of his pro bowls.
Well 2 years ago, with the stats I just posted, statistically that season was better then the one Kerry Rhodes just had, and everyone screamed that he was a snub...Roy was a gamer, everyone just wants to forget.

Find me a SS that finishes the year with 3 picks, 3 FF, and 3 sacks with one TD and tell me that SS doesn't deserve to make a pro bowl...These last 2 seasons he has 0 sacks and 0 FF's total, thats the reason Cowboys fans have soured, and deservedly so.

Or you could go to his play as a rookie mind you, 2 sacks, 3 FF, 5 INT's and 2 td's...Thats not deserving of a pro bowl to you? Put that in perspective with Laron Landry's first yr, or Rhodes, and see how it stacks up...He deserved to make those pro bowls, the stats show it, and his presence on the field does as well, just because he had a serious decline doesn't mean those earlier pro bowls weren't deserving...This pro bowl was a joke, and no one is denying that.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I appreciate your candid opinion and being fair and open about a player on your team.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Well 2 years ago, with the stats I just posted, statistically that season was better then the one Kerry Rhodes just had, and everyone screamed that he was a snub...Roy was a gamer, everyone just wants to forget.

Find me a SS that finishes the year with 3 picks, 3 FF, and 3 sacks with one TD and tell me that SS doesn't deserve to make a pro bowl...These last 2 seasons he has 0 sacks and 0 FF's total, thats the reason Cowboys fans have soured, and deservedly so.

Or you could go to his play as a rookie mind you, 2 sacks, 3 FF, 5 INT's and 2 td's...Thats not deserving of a pro bowl to you? Put that in perspective with Laron Landry's first yr, or Rhodes, and see how it stacks up...He deserved to make those pro bowls, the stats show it, and his presence on the field does as well, just because he had a serious decline doesn't mean those earlier pro bowls weren't deserving...This pro bowl was a joke, and no one is denying that.
Stats don't show pro bowl play. Actually pro bowl is all popularity. Roy made it on a reputation of being a big hitter and a couple of highlight big hits. He was always picked on in coverage. Not as bad as has been the last 2 seasons, but he was certainly never the player that Rhodes has been the last two season.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Stats don't show pro bowl play. Actually pro bowl is all popularity. Roy made it on a reputation of being a big hitter and a couple of highlight big hits. He was always picked on in coverage. Not as bad as has been the last 2 seasons, but he was certainly never the player that Rhodes has been the last two season.
Guess we will just have to agree to disagree then, I'm far from a Roy Williams fan but his play in general got him into those early pro bowls...And to just assum he was never the player that Rhodes was, we'll just have to disagree on that end...He was never as great in coverage as Rhodes, but I'm talking overall safety play, and Roy had at least 2 seasons that were better then Rhodes season this past year, and I'm not talking just big hits...I certainly don't think he deserves 5 pro bowls, but he earned 2 with his play on the field.

Quote:
Old 05-19-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

The end of the horse collar killed Roy Williams. He could still play the LB in a Tampa 2.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:51 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also, let's not forget what team he plays for.. He plays for "america's team" so I am sure playing for the cowboys helps his popularity as well.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:01 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Roy racked up stats, but a safety is supposed to be your d's last line of defence and so having someone who regularly gets burned and can't be realied upon in coverage prevents me from considering Roy a good safety. He made plays but he couldn't cover so all he did was focus on making plays and while we fans love guys like that it hurts your d when your playing with 1 safety back there regularly and not blitzing everydown.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Part of me thinks that maybe Miami would be interested for a 2nd day pick, but I have no idea what Dallas wants in return. Has Roy's new religious slant and fading athleticism doomed him as a player, or does he just need someone who's more adept than Wade Phillips at pushing the right buttons? Could a fairly young and undermanned 3-4 defense use someone who is strong in run support coming from the secondary?

That said, I have no insight into how the Parcells/Williams relationship was in Dallas, nor can I attest to Dallas' desire to trade the guy. I think he probably stays put in the end though.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:28 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
No one on earth wants him unless he comes for free. Even then, Im not sure anyone would want him. He's the worst starting safety in the league.
The worst safety? Bullocks! Bullocks I say! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJhqDm0L-A
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:28 AM    (permalink
GermanSaint
Veteran

GermanSaint hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
The worst safety? Bullocks! Bullocks I say! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJhqDm0L-A
first of all : bullocks is a FS but would be better suited for SS.

second : bullocks plays behind jason david and not terrence newman

third : when your task is to play the short zone and especially helping the Crappy LB corps , which was ran over the last 3-4 years , its hard to be on the WR who just (and ever) burned the Corner. it takes about two seconds to burn david . heck even less on a quick slant.

thats being said. bullocks is far away from a good starter , but he has flashes and is a nice open field tackler . but he has stonehands, not like in college , where he was a ballhawk.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Im not talking about this past year. Im talking about even early in his career. He was good, but he wasn't the God that he was being hyped up to be. Let's not forget, just last year we heard all the raving about how Roy would thrive under Phillips and that BP was using him wrong all the time and blah blah blah. Ive personally only noticed Cowboy fans sour on him this year, bc he finally ran out of excuses for his poor play.

But even as a rookie and his 2nd year, while he was good, he still had a lot of big holes in his game. He masked it with a big hit once in a while, and everyone forgets about the rest bc of it. But having 3 or 4 big hits a season doesn't define a safety. Even in his "prime", he was never a great cover safety, and wasn't great at wrapping up. He would give big hits yes, but for every big hit, you can name a time where he whiffed.

Comparing the old him to the new him is night and day, but i think the old him was a good safety, but not a great one. People talk of Roy Williams like he was a great safety before, and to me he never was one. He was a good safety with potential to be great and instead of realizing that potential he only got worse.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Im not talking about this past year. Im talking about even early in his career. He was good, but he wasn't the God that he was being hyped up to be. Let's not forget, just last year we heard all the raving about how Roy would thrive under Phillips and that BP was using him wrong all the time and blah blah blah. Ive personally only noticed Cowboy fans sour on him this year, bc he finally ran out of excuses for his poor play.

But even as a rookie and his 2nd year, while he was good, he still had a lot of big holes in his game. He masked it with a big hit once in a while, and everyone forgets about the rest bc of it. But having 3 or 4 big hits a season doesn't define a safety. Even in his "prime", he was never a great cover safety, and wasn't great at wrapping up. He would give big hits yes, but for every big hit, you can name a time where he whiffed.

Comparing the old him to the new him is night and day, but i think the old him was a good safety, but not a great one. People talk of Roy Williams like he was a great safety before, and to me he never was one. He was a good safety with potential to be great and instead of realizing that potential he only got worse.
I think our point of view might be slightly off because we have been used to Jeremy Shockey schooling Roy Williams for quite a few years now. Even in Roy's so called prime, Shockey always got the best of him. At no point in his career was Roy ever able to cover Shockey.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think our point of view might be slightly off because we have been used to Jeremy Shockey schooling Roy Williams for quite a few years now. Even in Roy's so called prime, Shockey always got the best of him. At no point in his career was Roy ever able to cover Shockey.
was it just shockey though? or was it every TE known to man?
Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

TE's, RB's, WR's... Roy has been burned by all.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

honestly, im not sure if i speak for all Giants, Eagles and Redskins fans on this, but Im really hoping Roy stays on the Cowboys as long as possible. Its going to be a sad day when he gets cut.

Bc then you have to adjust your offensive strategy. Its always been a simple strategy, spread out the Dallas defense and pick on Roy Williams. Now with those 3 CBs and potentially no Roy Williams, I dunno how you attack that defense.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Well, I certainly agree that Roy Williams is the offensive MVP of every Cowboys-Eagles game.

If the Cowboys cut Roy, then they will have Pat Watkins back there (I think--correct me if I'm wrong). I don't see Watkins as much better in coverage compared to Roy, but at the same time, he has room to grow and improve. He is also a huge guy who can probably get to more balls than other safeties.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
honestly, im not sure if i speak for all Giants, Eagles and Redskins fans on this, but Im really hoping Roy stays on the Cowboys as long as possible. Its going to be a sad day when he gets cut.

Bc then you have to adjust your offensive strategy. Its always been a simple strategy, spread out the Dallas defense and pick on Roy Williams. Now with those 3 CBs and potentially no Roy Williams, I dunno how you attack that defense.
Agreed. Someone suggested earlier in this thread that if Roy was cut the other teams in the NFC East might be interested. I said he is more valuable to all those teams if he stayed on the Cowboys and they all saw him twice a year.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
That's an ugly highlight reel.

Re: Bullocks, this is his last year of his rookie deal, so he's gone one more year to show some promise before the Saints decide to potentially let him walk. Honestly, I think they could better at FS, heck I'd sooner try to convert a corner there to get some coverage skills.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I think we'd still have to attack the middle of the field, it would just be harder now.

They still lack speed at ILB, so im guessing, the key is to attack the intermediate middle between those linebackers. I don't know if Mike Jenkins can cover Steve Smith in his rookie year as well. While Hamlin is a great safety as well, he can be had on occasion in the pass game, so my guess is the TE is your money maker against that defense.

And to a lesser extent, the slot receiver. Same blueprint as before, but now its more difficult to achieve, and you might have to reroute some patterns towards attacking the ILBs instead of Williams.