Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Too bad the Falcons couldn't just slap the franchise tag on Ryan....they would have saved millions.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay. People need to look at the guaranteed money, not the whole contract. A ton of players dont even see the end of their contract. Many of them are built in with impossible incentives. I heard that the only way Laron Landry will see the end of his contract is to win DPOTY 4 times (which I wouldnt put past him). I am sure he will restructure before he sees the end of that or something.

And the guaranteed money is just something that will always be increasing. 31 for Long for 5 years, 34 for Ryan for 6 years.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:38 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
My opinion on the issue of JR vs Ryan. JR is the best QB prospect (in my mind) since Carson Palmer, and maybe even since Peyton Manning. Ryan is not that guy.
While Russel has great potential I don't think he's going to be a better QB and leader than Ryan, Cutler, VY, Eli, Rivers or Big Ben (although he was similar to a less assertive big ben).

My gripe with him is a just don't see a standout leader who can carry the team despite his supporting cast. In the right situations he could put up rediculous stats, but he won't succeed without quality weapons like McNabb and Brady have. Nor do I expect him to pullof the great clutch play to lead his team to victory.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
RaiderFan
Rookie

RaiderFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
While Russel has great potential I don't think he's going to be a better QB and leader than Ryan, Cutler, VY, Eli, Rivers or Big Ben (although he was similar to a less assertive big ben).

My gripe with him is a just don't see a standout leader who can carry the team despite his supporting cast. In the right situations he could put up rediculous stats, but he won't succeed without quality weapons like McNabb and Brady have. Nor do I expect him to pullof the great clutch play to lead his team to victory.
Thats because you didn't watch his college career when he orchestrated 8 Comebacks. I think a lot of people ignore the fact that Lane kiffin was the QB coach at USC. When they produced talents like Palmer,lienart, and booty(the good years). Kiffin has a proven track record of developing QB's, so Russell is going to a better coaching Situation, stronger arm, Higher accuracy,mobile, better run game, and so far has proven to be a hard worker. Its kind of Ridiculous people are trying to tear down Russell with rumors and biased stats to make Ryan look legit. The fact is Russell looks legit without all the BS, and Ryan is a Questionable draft choice. Add on top this silly contract and Ryan supporters really have it rough. Hang in there.
I understand people will defend Ryan tooth and nail, thats fine. But Russell is Far better IMO.

Last edited by RaiderFan : 05-21-2008 at 12:01 AM.
RaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 AM    (permalink
geaux tigers
Veteran

geaux tigers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Matt Ryan threw a pick 2.9 percent of the time in his senior season. JaMarcus Russell threw a pick 2.4 percent of the time his junior, last season.
Ryans passing attempts/td ratio is horrible though.
1td every 21pass attempts

31td/19int

JR
1td every 12attempts

Ryan(654) had over 300 more passing attempts than JR(342), just so he can throw 3 more TD's(31).

Last edited by geaux tigers : 05-21-2008 at 02:00 AM.
geaux tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It sure helps on Russells part to have 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick at WR to throw to (one of the WRs who ended up having nearly 1000 yards as a rookie).

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 05-21-2008, 02:32 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderFan View Post
Thats because you didn't watch his college career when he orchestrated 8 Comebacks. I think a lot of people ignore the fact that Lane kiffin was the QB coach at USC. When they produced talents like Palmer,lienart, and booty(the good years). Kiffin has a proven track record of developing QB's, so Russell is going to a better coaching Situation, stronger arm, Higher accuracy,mobile, better run game, and so far has proven to be a hard worker. Its kind of Ridiculous people are trying to tear down Russell with rumors and biased stats to make Ryan look legit. The fact is Russell looks legit without all the BS, and Ryan is a Questionable draft choice. Add on top this silly contract and Ryan supporters really have it rough. Hang in there.
I understand people will defend Ryan tooth and nail, thats fine. But Russell is Far better IMO.
To be honest, I don't like either of them. Ryan has Joey Harrington written all over him, and Russell. Well, Russell reminds me of Peter Patrelli from Heroes, supremely gifted, and the only thing that keeps him from dominating every one is the fact that he's got the intelligence of a box of rocks.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:34 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Joey Harrington. Really? I would hope that his leadership and confidence would deter him from becoming Harrinson.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Joey Harrington. Really? I would hope that his leadership and confidence would deter him from becoming Harrinson.
What do you think Harrington's main selling points coming out of college was? He wasn't a great talent. He wasn't terrible at anything, but he wasn't exceptional in anything either. However, he just oozed intangibles and leadership out of every orifice.

I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 AM    (permalink
RaiderFan
Rookie

RaiderFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Brett Farve, Terry Bradshaw, Eli manning and the Majority of players from the south or carry a heavey accent are thought to be stupid, by people that aren't from the south.
I simply don't understand why people keep insulting Russell's intelligence because when he gets on the field against these proper speaking QB's he usually shows them up. Stereo typical statements breed ignorance. He scored a 24 on the Wonderlic which is slightly above average for QB's.
RaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

Quote:
Brett Farve, Terry Bradshaw, Eli manning and the Majority of players from the south or carry a heavey accent are thought to be stupid, by people that aren't from the south.
I simply don't understand why people keep insulting Russell's intelligence because when he gets on the field against these proper speaking QB's he usually shows them up. Stereo typical statements breed ignorance. He scored a 24 on the Wonderlic which is slightly above average for QB's.
It's not a matter of how he talks. I spent a good chunk of my life in the south. It's a matter of his decision making. He plays too loose with the ball. He doesn't secure the ball, and makes some boneheaded throws. That'll likely calm down if the Raiders can get a good O-Line, but it's tough to fix things like that for QBs.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:18 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
What do you think Harrington's main selling points coming out of college was? He wasn't a great talent. He wasn't terrible at anything, but he wasn't exceptional in anything either. However, he just oozed intangibles and leadership out of every orifice.
This is true. Maybe with Harrington on the team he can see all that he doesnt need to become.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:47 AM    (permalink
Dreamers

72 million. That is an insane deal for a player who has never played a down. No wonder the owners are opting out of the CBA. The rookie wage scale is just crazy.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
It's not a matter of how he talks. I spent a good chunk of my life in the south. It's a matter of his decision making. He plays too loose with the ball. He doesn't secure the ball, and makes some boneheaded throws. That'll likely calm down if the Raiders can get a good O-Line, but it's tough to fix things like that for QBs.
they'll need to fix it fast too, otherwise JR might end up like David Carr 2.0.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:43 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way to go with the rookie payments just might be a bonus at the start of their carreer to reward them for being drafted as high as they are drafted. Would create a buffer if they got hurt as well. Maybe the proper wages would then go done a nice bit.
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
You would have to have short contracts with a pay scale. You could give rookies a 3 year deal and then they become RFAs. You'd have to get rid of poison pills too. The players would benefit by becoming free agents sooner, and while first round picks might earn less, other players who've earned the money would benefit.
Yeah that would be the only way.. 3-4 year deals, and then if you like what you see you invest long term. So teams who are stingy with money basically re-cycle players that way. Rent a player for 3-4 years, hope you win a superbowl then, if not, and he wants tons of money, let him go, get a comp pick, and draft more young players.

If your a rich franchise i guess you'd be the buyer trying to get all these guys in free agency. But something has to be done when unproven guys get more than proven guys. That's a messed up system, and it makes proven players even more mad, when they are in free agency or want to re-sign, because they point to that rookie contract and say Iam proven so pay me that.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Yeah that would be the only way.. 3-4 year deals, and then if you like what you see you invest long term. So teams who are stingy with money basically re-cycle players that way. Rent a player for 3-4 years, hope you win a superbowl then, if not, and he wants tons of money, let him go, get a comp pick, and draft more young players.

If your a rich franchise i guess you'd be the buyer trying to get all these guys in free agency. But something has to be done when unproven guys get more than proven guys. That's a messed up system, and it makes proven players even more mad, when they are in free agency or want to re-sign, because they point to that rookie contract and say Iam proven so pay me that.
but teams won't "pay them that."

in fact, from things ive read on the subject, not even agents really try to use rookie contracts in veteran negotiations.

i believe PFT pointed out a piece by chris cooley in his blog where he was talking about that. its like everyone realizes those rookie contracts are asinine as all hell except for the rookies drafted that high, their agents, and most imporantly, gene upshaw.

that .0001% of people involved in the nfl are the ones keeping it that way it seems
Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
but teams won't "pay them that."

in fact, from things ive read on the subject, not even agents really try to use rookie contracts in veteran negotiations.

i believe PFT pointed out a piece by chris cooley in his blog where he was talking about that. its like everyone realizes those rookie contracts are asinine as all hell except for the rookies drafted that high, their agents, and most imporantly, gene upshaw.

that .0001% of people involved in the nfl are the ones keeping it that way it seems
the agents essentially control Upshaw, and he "represents" the players when talking about contracts. It's sad when you think of it.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 05-21-2008, 12:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I can see that. What's lost is his great escape ability. Might be one of his best assests.

Everyone seems to buy that put the team on his shoulders thing. I've never been one to support that, but it's what has been said.
Lol, ironic that I was reading the old draft thread and we argued over that aspect of his game.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
excuses, excuses. 19 ints is unacceptable.
That is called ignoring the facts.

FACT: Matt Ryan's pass to interception ratio was on par with the rest of the class.

FACT: Matt Ryan threw an interception 2.9 percent of the time, where as JaMarcus Russell did so 2.4 percent of the time.

Yet people act like he throws a million interceptions. He threw the ball like 650 times last year. Yes, he is going to throw some interceptions, especially with the lack of talent on his team.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:24 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I live in the south and consider Bradshaw and Manning both stupid.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I live in the south and consider Bradshaw and Manning both stupid.
but you do it by default, it's got nothing to do with their accent ;)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Kurve
Veteran

Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

JR i think will prove many people wrong .... he has been getting neg rep rumored to be lazy , blowing up to 300lbs , and stupid but he has shown just the opposite. Few games he played last year he was comfortable in the pocket and made very smart throws for being just a rookie. He has been working on improving him self with the coaches in the off season plus the rumor he ballooned up to 300lbs was false. He will be a more a vocal leader in time, leadership is something u gain you cant just come in the rookie and expect to become that leader that people want you to be right away it takes time. You always lead by example first then vocal leadership comes afterwards you have to gain trust in all the vets first on the playing field.
Kurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
they'll need to fix it fast too, otherwise JR might end up like David Carr 2.0.
He'll get cut loose far faster than Carr did. Because of the bad tendencies that he picked up at LSU, he'll be a lot more destructive to the team. He got sacked 6 times last season. He fumbled on 4 of them. Even during Carr's rookie season, when he got sacked 76 times, he only fumbled a little more than once every 4 sacks.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:10 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i know we were talking about the outrageous size of this deal earlier and if it still bothers you, check out the links i posted on what NFLPA president Kevin Mawae had to say about it over here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ad.php?t=22752