Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,245
Reputation: 230584
BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Come on paying a lot is one thing paying a rookie pro bowl money is another. Granted I do not know what the escalators are and some of those could be so completely impossible to attain that there is no way the Falcons pay that much. I would be willing to assume that it is no more than 10% of the contract is made in these impossible incentives. so you are paying an unproven rookie pro bowl money. Even you've got to admit that thats wrong. Not saying that The Falcons were 100% stupid for doing so because lets face it the nature of this beast would make it so that there would be a lengthy hold out and they would save a few Mil. in the large scale of things it just isn't worth it.
No, I really don't. Is Jake Long not getting probowl money? Russell? Bush? All top five picks? The fact is the salary cap increases, and many of you are ignorant to that. Rookies also demand much more. Sure, we could have made him bite on 68 million. Why the hell would we waste months of development, months that we need him there, for less than a million per year over six years? Makes plenty of sense to give him that four mil.
__________________
Virginia Tech.
ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Zbikowski_9
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 197
Reputation: 58
Zbikowski_9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
According to most he is up there with Russell and Young. Quinn was vastly overrated, and he would have been selected over Leinart and probably Cutler. Behind Russell and Young.
Most? i have never heard that statement from anyone bar you. All i have heard is that he is the top of an average class. I would still be satisfied to have, and I think it is a good fit for the Falcs, but i think you are kidding yourself if you think he is one of the best prospects in recent years
__________________
--Four Norse Men of the Apocalypse--
......Allen Wlliams Williams Edwards......
.......--Future Riders in waiting--........
......Robinson Evans Guion Mitchell......

Join this football simulator...its pretty sweet. http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=13176733
Zbikowski_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,389
Reputation: 2502635
Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
No, I really don't. Is Jake Long not getting probowl money? Russell? Bush? All top five picks? The fact is the salary cap increases, and many of you are ignorant to that. Rookies also demand much more. Sure, we could have made him bite on 68 million. Why the hell would we waste months of development, months that we need him there, for less than a million per year over six years? Makes plenty of sense to give him that four mil.
I agree with that. I said all that in my post it is still wrong. The whole league does it and it is wrong. My final thought on the matter is. Does Ryan (or any other rookie) deserve to be paid as much as a pro bowl player of the same position? No. Are the Falcons stupid for doing it? No. Why? because the rest of the league does it. I concede that point. 4 Mil over 6 years is chicken feed to an NFL club. I guess people are picking on the Falcons because the resounding sentiment in the forums is that Matt Ryan is not a top 3 pick. If you recall in most mocks I've seen where the Falcons were given Matt Ryan most always there was a Falcon fan saying "We don't want Ryan" hell regardless of where he fell there were people saying that they don't want Ryan in the first round. Yes I know I know... Fans know jack compared to real NFL scouts. Yes fans booed McNabb when he was picked (I boo him to this day). But the point really is that most fans, me included (Not the pro scouts) don't see why Matt Ryan is that much better than the second best QB prospect to warrent him being picked nearly half a round before the next guy. This is the real reason why people are saying that the Falcons over paid and they are not saying it about teams like the Phins and Raiders.
__________________
Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji


DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,245
Reputation: 230584
BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbikowski_9 View Post
Most? i have never heard that statement from anyone bar you. All i have heard is that he is the top of an average class. I would still be satisfied to have, and I think it is a good fit for the Falcs, but i think you are kidding yourself if you think he is one of the best prospects in recent years
Oh, so you must read these boards above all else. Because by Kiper, McShay, Jaws, Mayock, etc. he is up there with them. I don't know what scouts think, because they don't say those things. But you are obviously ignorant of what people have said. Not to mention you say he is 'average', even though the Falcons valued him with pick 3, the Ravens with pick 8, a 2nd rounder, and more, and many other teams.
__________________
Virginia Tech.
ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,245
Reputation: 230584
BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
I agree with that. I said all that in my post it is still wrong. The whole league does it and it is wrong. My final thought on the matter is. Does Ryan (or any other rookie) deserve to be paid as much as a pro bowl player of the same position? No. Are the Falcons stupid for doing it? No. Why? because the rest of the league does it. I concede that point. 4 Mil over 6 years is chicken feed to an NFL club. I guess people are picking on the Falcons because the resounding sentiment in the forums is that Matt Ryan is not a top 3 pick. If you recall in most mocks I've seen where the Falcons were given Matt Ryan most always there was a Falcon fan saying "We don't want Ryan" hell regardless of where he fell there were people saying that they don't want Ryan in the first round. Yes I know I know... Fans know jack compared to real NFL scouts. Yes fans booed McNabb when he was picked (I boo him to this day). But the point really is that most fans, me included (Not the pro scouts) don't see why Matt Ryan is that much better than the second best QB prospect to warrent him being picked nearly half a round before the next guy. This is the real reason why people are saying that the Falcons over paid and they are not saying it about teams like the Phins and Raiders.
I'm not going to argue with people over how good of a prospect he is.

But I was just irritated that people were acting as if the Falcons severely overpayed in comparison to other rookies. It is wrong, but that is the way the league works.
__________________
Virginia Tech.
ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,831
Reputation: 2555390
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

If cutting him is so easy, what are the cap implications if he is cut in Year 4, 5, and 6?

Last edited by D-Unit : 05-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near the Bay
Posts: 5,942
Reputation: 2559
doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Of course they were! Let's make four players overpaid instead of one! We're much smarter! Not to mention average players.
Yep, Hall,Wilson,Kelly, and Walker are all average.
But thats more than you can say for Ryan.

No one is argueing rookies are overpaid. Its a well known fact. But paying the #3 overall pick more than any other #1 overall pick is ridiculous.It doesnt matter what happened in 06 with Williams,Bush and Young.People could argue that Bush and Young were both better prospects than Williams. Ryan isnt a better prospect than Long.Although some Falcon and BC homers may try and argue that.Not many others would.
The fact of the matter is that the Falcons never needed to pay him that much money.They probably could have payed him more around Long or Russells contract and still could have got him into camp day one.
__________________
"The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden
doingthisinsteadofwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,913
Reputation: 2009538
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Falcons sure are spending alot of money on unproven commodities, I hope for their sake it works out because it can cripple your franchise...Really I don't think anyone should complain about overpaying because each year players get paid more, that are not better, thats how things are set up now...My only thing is, you can't complain about a proven guy getting paid too much when you are shelling out almost 100 million in guys that you don't know what your getting.


I would much rather over pay for somebody who you know what you get, versus tying up all this money with the hope that he pans out...I would of much rathered spent big money on Dorsey, but its too early to criticize, in a few years we might be saying they made the right choice.
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:18 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 849
Reputation: 297
BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerfan View Post
Thank God we finally have a rookie without the big head. Excellent move by Ryan and the Falcons - the Vick era is dead and they can move on week 1 with Ryan under centre. If only more rookies took this attitude and actually proved themselves on the NFL field before holding out for the big bucks.
LOL.

How many rookies went from thinking of another career their Junior season to a record breaking rookie contract offer?


Matt Ryan was riding the wave of hype since this November and I don't blame him.


He didn't show up at the Senior Bowl because he knew if the scouts were drinking this kool-aid, he didn't want to do anything to mess with this magical ride that really all started against the prevent defense of Virginia Tech.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 11,245
Reputation: 230584
BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Yep, Hall,Wilson,Kelly, and Walker are all average.
But thats more than you can say for Ryan.

No one is argueing rookies are overpaid. Its a well known fact. But paying the #3 overall pick more than any other #1 overall pick is ridiculous.It doesnt matter what happened in 06 with Williams,Bush and Young.People could argue that Bush and Young were both better prospects than Williams. Ryan isnt a better prospect than Long.Although some Falcon and BC homers may try and argue that.Not many others would.
The fact of the matter is that the Falcons never needed to pay him that much money.They probably could have payed him more around Long or Russells contract and still could have got him into camp day one.
Oh they didn't? Really. Hmm. He would have still been in camp day one? Amazing. So where do you get all this info. If you really know all of this then you should be a general manager!
__________________
Virginia Tech.
ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 849
Reputation: 297
BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
He was expected to be the messiah of the Saints and be the biggest big play threat the NFL has seen in a number of years. So far he has averaged 3.7 yards per carry in his career and his longest run in his 312 regular season carries is 22 yards. He has had 161 regular season receptions and only four touchdowns on the bunch. He has only averaged 7.2 yards per reception in his career, 5.7 last year. 5.7 is about what you would expect his yard per carry to be, but that is 3.7. On 473 touches total for his regular season career he has only fourteen touchdowns.

I would say he has been a disappointment to date.
Well anyone who could see through the media hype machine could see that Reggie Bush had All Americans at just about every position around him and was a better receiver than he was a RB and when he was a RB was far better off tackle than between the tackles despite the gaping holes the line created for him.

He also ran for 2 yards or 20. Very inconsistent. But at least Bush had the numbers. And least he had the 4.33 speed


Matt Ryan has received unprecedented hype for someone who is average across the board in terms of talent and production.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.