Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Cowboys Sign Barber, Newman

BARBER, ĎBOYS DO A DEAL
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2008, 3:48 p.m. EDT
A league source tells us that the Dallas Cowboys and running back Marion Barber have reached agreement on a long-term contract.

Per the source, itís a seven-year deal worth a total of $45 million. The package includes $16 million in guaranteed bonuses, and will pay out $21 million over the first three years.

The better news for Barber is that heíll have every opportunity to earn all of that money, since the Cowboys remain committed to using a two-back approach, which will help to extend Barberís career well into the next decade by limiting the physical punishment that he takes.

COWBOYS EXTEND NEWMAN
Posted by Mike Florio on May 20, 2008, 2:43 p.m. EDT
The Dallas Cowboys have reached an agreement with cornerback Terence Newman on a long-term extension.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, itís a six-year extension, and itís worth $50.2 million, with $22.5 million in guaranteed money.

Newman, 29, was a first-round pick in 2003. He was due to become an unrestricted free agent in 2009

cred 2 BoneKrusher
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Or Moyal

Great deal for TNew, he's a top 5 corner and this is probably a discount for him-even at that age.
Barber, though... I absolutely love the guy, but I'm not sure about this. It's a ton of money for a part-time runner.
Of course, It's no coincidence that this is being done today to take advantage of the CBA situation, and I wouldn't rule out Stephen Jones having found some way to lump a ton of that money into 2010.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alot of money to shell out in one day, but can't say i'm unhappy...I thought T-New would be tagged honestly, I would of rather signed Hamlin first, but if both are signed I could care less, we are just alot weaker at safety now.

And Barber's deal is no surprise, the bigger surprise was people acting like this deal wouldn't get done in the 1st place, hopefully this gets Barber into OTA's and working with Felix Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to rain on a parade, but the 'boys overpaid for Barber imo. I love watching the guy, I do, but I wouldn't have given him that money personally.

Especially when they just drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

tough blow for Dallas' bank account, but given the players they re-signed, it'll pay itself back. Solid moves.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I don't want to rain on a parade, but the 'boys overpaid for Barber imo. I love watching the guy, I do, but I wouldn't have given him that money personally.

Especially when they just drafted Tashard Choice and Felix Jones.
Maybe so, but when you look around the league and consider that Reggie Bush makes more money, who is also a part time back that does alot less, you could argue its fitting, granted Bush was a #2 pick on a rookie contract but the money is all the same...I mean, we all know that every off seasn contracts go up, I don't care WHO it is, guys are getting bigger contracts then they would have even a few years ago.

Ahman Green signed a 23 million dollar deal not that long ago, and everyone knew he couldnt even finish 16 games, I think he earned the deal with everything he's done, and if he rushes 18-20 times, picks up TD's the way he does, and catches as well as he does out of the backfield its worth it.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thats a lot of money but im glad we have both guys tied up now
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Tha Boss
Rookie

Tha Boss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Great moves, i dont really feel they overpaid for Barber, as he is a core part of that team. And they got a great price on Newman as well, very solid offseason for the Boys.
Tha Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ouuucchhhhhhh...

A lot of dough getting thrown around. Just scares me to think that we might not have any left for Hammy..
Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alot of money but damn these guys are gonna give it a shake this year

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Somebody isn't gonna get re-signed, might as well face that fact right now as much as I don't want to...Personally I felt we should of waited for Newman's deal at the end of this year, because if Pacman pans out, Jenkins plays like a 1st rd pick and Scandrick shows some potential those are 3 young guys waiting in the wings...While if we let Hamlin go we have nothing at either safety spot, and if we can't resign Canty(who I have been praying we keep) we have a huge hole at DE...Then along with that its obvious we need to bring TO back, so something has got to give at some point...Not unhappy about Newman's deal, I would of just rathered waited on him.

Quote:
Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Somebody isn't gonna get re-signed, might as well face that fact right now as much as I don't want to...Personally I felt we should of waited for Newman's deal at the end of this year, because if Pacman pans out, Jenkins plays like a 1st rd pick and Scandrick shows some potential those are 3 young guys waiting in the wings...While if we let Hamlin go we have nothing at either safety spot, and if we can't resign Canty(who I have been praying we keep) we have a huge hole at DE...Then along with that its obvious we need to bring TO back, so something has got to give at some point...Not unhappy about Newman's deal, I would of just rathered waited on him.
I think the coaching staff is well aware that we cannot afford to let Canty or Hamlin leave. I think in the end, the odd-man out is Terrell Owens.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy Crapola!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

are you kidding?

T.O. the odd man out?

Then our offense will be the odd man out next year. We can't do anything without him.

I think Hamlin, if anyone, is the odd man out.

Canty was a draft pick, and for whatever reason, Jerry loves guy who started in Dallas. He is also 1 of only 2 good D-lineman that we have.

T.O. is a walking publicity stunt and he scores 15 td's a year. How in the world would Jerry Jones let this guy go. It is everything he could ask for.

I could see all 3 of them getting done. Canty isn't going to get as much as everyone thinks because he isn't on anyones radar. The guy is probably unknown to most people on these boards.

Hamlin will get fair market value, which is skewed from that idiot Al Davis giving Gibril Wilson too much money.

and T.O. is going to get paid like a 34 year old receiver who recently said he probably only has 3 years left in the league.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:30 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Barber's deal makes me feel bad about the deal we gave Frank Gore...5 years 25 mil.

Gore deserves to make more than Barber, but I'm sure alot of RB's will get paid more than him...
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
Barber's deal makes me feel bad about the deal we gave Frank Gore...5 years 25 mil.

Gore deserves to make more than Barber, but I'm sure alot of RB's will get paid more than him...
We got Gore signed to a great deal and you feel bad about it?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
We got Gore signed to a great deal and you feel bad about it?
A great deal for the 49ers and crappy deal for Gore. You just wait deals like this have a trickle down effect and since Barber is getting this much Gore will think he should be getting more and in all likely hood will at some point.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
A great deal for the 49ers and crappy deal for Gore. You just wait deals like this have a trickle down effect and since Barber is getting this much Gore will think he should be getting more and in all likely hood will at some point.
Again, why is everyone acting like contracts in general aren't going up every off season? It has little to do with the player anymore, the size of contracts are consistently getting higher, with every deal...Turner got about the same amount and how much has he played in his career again?

Quote:
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

The Cowboys cheated they used the no salary cap season (2010) to sign those guys. Ugh
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Primetime21
Veteran

Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Primetime21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
With the injuries Gore has accumulated over the years it seemed a fair deal for both.

I dont see why give Barber such a large deal with such capable back ups and especially with his dangerous running style. At least we know that he has passion for the game and wont pull a Shaun Alexander and slack off after gettin the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /
Alcohol+Draft Forum= Fneuniest timez evverzzz
Primetime21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If these contracts are front loaded and pay off big in the first 2 years or so then good. Before teh strike that is, once the strike hits bye bye no more money
Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Ouuucchhhhhhh...

A lot of dough getting thrown around. Just scares me to think that we might not have any left for Hammy..
Don't blow your Hammy, Dallas.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Jerry is banking on no salary cap. Im sure theres writing in those contracts that will change the net worth depending on whether a salary cap exists or not in the future.

If not, its gonna be awfully hard extending Ware. But who knows, these contracts are tricky, im sure they can make it work somehow.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Dallas fans I know Safety has way less depth for you guys but I don't think Hamlin's good of a safety as Newman is a corner so I don't get why you'd wanna spend this much $ on Hamlin. A safety, especially a guy who excels in the box, can contribute quickly so you could go with a draft pick playing behind great corners and a good pass rush.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seriously, I'm so happy right now.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote