Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NFLPA President Mawae speaks out on rookie contracts

In the wake of Matt Ryan's deal, a lot of people on here have been complaining about the amount rookies are getting paid (myself included.) so i thought this would be a good read for everyone here.

article 1:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

article 2:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...kie-windfalls/

some choice statements for those of you who don't want to read the whole thing:

Quote:
“As a guy who has been in the league for 14 now going on 15 years and being around other veteran guys, for a young guy to get paid that kind of money and never steps foot on an NFL football field, it’s a little disheartening to think of,” Mawae said. “It makes it tough for a guy who’s proven himself to say ‘I want that kind of money’ when the owners, all they’re going to say is, ‘Well, you weren’t a first-round pick.’

“And I know there is sentiment around the league amongst the players like, ‘Let’s do something to control these salaries and control these signing bonuses’ and things like that, and I know that’s something that the owners are talking about and I’m sure that’s going to play in to this round of negotiations for this collective bargaining agreement.”
lets hope he leads a charge to boot that old fool Upshaw who might be doing more harm that good to the players in his union...

Kevin Mawae may now be one of my new favorite players.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:51 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is my favorite part of the PFT article, sums up my own thoughts on it pretty well too:

Quote:
Mawae had better tread carefully, or Gene Upshaw will break his neck. After all, Upshaw has insisted that the union will “never agree” to a rookie salary formula, offering up a series of nonsensical arguments based on specious logic.

Suddenly, Upshaw’s position is crumbling from within. And now that the president of the union has said his peace, we expect more players to follow suit. If Upshaw continues to resist, he’ll only be proving to his constituents that he’s completely out of touch with their desires.

As we’ve previously explained, there’s no reason for any player currently in the league to not want to reel in the amounts paid to the first ten or so players drafted each year. Even for the guys who previously received such a windfall, every dollar not paid to an unproven rookie is a dollar that’s available to pay to an established player.

Heck, even Matt Ryan would now vote to curb the practice, since he’s already gotten his huge pile of money for nothing.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:54 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed, hopefully Upshaw is gone soon and it certainly seems that things are heading in that direction.

IMO the lack of a rookie contract system helps 32 players and hurts every other NFL player, owner, and fan.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Agreed, hopefully Upshaw is gone soon and it certainly seems that things are heading in that direction.

IMO the lack of a rookie contract system helps 32 players and hurts every other NFL player, owner, and fan.
i would say it only really helps the top 10 rookies, maybe even top 5. once you get past the early part of the first round, contracts start becoming more and more reasonable.

im just hoping that enough players start causing a ruckus like mawae and upshaw has no choice but to resign.

i think everyone with a brain can see that upshaw is just being pulled around on strings by the agents who benefit most from things like outrageous rookie deals.

and his logic on not using a pay scale for rookies is awful. i can't remember all of what he said now but the one that is most asinine imo is that veteran players can then use those rookie deals as bases for their own deals, BUT THAT DOESNT HAPPEN!

i wish i could find this article chris cooley wrote a little while back in his blog where he pointed out that most agents for veteran players who are trying to get new deals don't even use the top rookie deals because management wont buy it for a second.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Upshaw is nothing but a meat puppet for agents, I honestly do not understand why this guy still has a job, he's the Matt Millen of the NFLPA.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Upshaw is nothing but a meat puppet for agents, I honestly do not understand why this guy still has a job, he's the Matt Millen of the NFLPA.
the sad thing with that comparison is that he may be worse than millen since millen can only bring down 1 team....upshaw could bring down the whole league at the level of his incompetence
Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
the sad thing with that comparison is that he may be worse than millen since millen can only bring down 1 team....upshaw could bring down the whole league at the level of his incompetence
the incompetence that is allowed to exist in the NFL sometimes amazes me.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 05-21-2008, 03:26 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They definitely need to take a look at what the NBA does and get a clue. It could get to the point where signing a high first round pick isn't even worth it for any team.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always hated how unproven rookies get millions and millions before playing a down, they should work for there money. The Matt Ryan contract disgusts me this year like the Jamarcus Russel holdout situation disgusted me last year...
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
the incompetence that is allowed to exist in the NFL sometimes amazes me.
i know right? lol.

ive seriously wondered a few times if i could do a better job that certain guys (millen).

i know it takes a good amount of knowledge and experience and all that but it still isnt exactly rocket science.

get me an assistant GM who is good with numbers and salary and i could at the very least....idk....draft somebody who can play or something. that alone rivals millen....

but on the upshaw front, i don't want to be taken as saying that the union is bad. i sat through all the history classes, i know the good that unions can bring about.

but the nflpa under upshaw is going nowhere fast and now, it challenges the very existence of the nfl if they get too stingy and wont let it be worked out. something i could see upshaw doing no matter how much it would hurt the players....
Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
They definitely need to take a look at what the NBA does and get a clue. It could get to the point where signing a high first round pick isn't even worth it for any team.
true. i was thinking yesterday after the ryan deal was announced if we may get to a point where the teams with top picks just forfeit their selection because it would be too much to pay a rookie 15%, 25%....who knows how much.....of your maximum salary cap.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Quote:
but on the upshaw front, i don't want to be taken as saying that the union is bad. i sat through all the history classes, i know the good that unions can bring about.
Well unions are always bad for owners and consumers, but they should at least be good for workers and Upshaw seems to be even screwing that up.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
Well unions are always bad for owners and consumers, but they should at least be good for workers and Upshaw seems to be even screwing that up.
thats what i meant, for the workers. even in this case where the workers are all very rich....

but hes still screwing up bigtime
Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

To be fair a huge amount of most rookie deals have a lot of incentives and almost unreachable triggers. So it's not like ryan is going to see all 72 million just like most top rookies don't see the maximum values on their deals, unless they're Larry Fitzgerald.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i know right? lol.

ive seriously wondered a few times if i could do a better job that certain guys (millen).

i know it takes a good amount of knowledge and experience and all that but it still isnt exactly rocket science.

get me an assistant GM who is good with numbers and salary and i could at the very least....idk....draft somebody who can play or something. that alone rivals millen....

but the nflpa under upshaw is going nowhere fast and now, it challenges the very existence of the nfl if they get too stingy and wont let it be worked out. something i could see upshaw doing no matter how much it would hurt the players....
Next year when a team needs a new GM throw your name into the hate:

Joke Resume:
In madden i was able to draft D-Mac, Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey. I signed Randy Moss and Peyton Manning. I dominated. Won every game 209-17

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Next year when a team needs a new GM throw your name into the hate:

Joke Resume:
In madden i was able to draft D-Mac, Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey. I signed Randy Moss and Peyton Manning. I dominated. Won every game 209-17
i wish i could, lol. maybe all my resume would have to say is "I'm still better than Matt Millen."

I would be an improvement for at least 1 team that way
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

A detroit fan, lol, needs to get all of the fans to demand he replace Matt Millen using the "I'm not Matt Millen" argument.

Although Isiah is still a Knicks employee so clearly incompetence isn't enough for you to get kicked of sports management.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9327805

John Lynch is in on it too now:

Quote:
“I’m with them on that,” Lynch said of the owners’ desire to reel in rookie pay. “I’d like to come up with an NBA system where you put a cap on the rookies. I can see the owners’ problem there. You look at JaMarcus Russell. He may turn out to be an awesome quarterback, but you’re investing $60 million right off the bat. It’s reached the point where everyone who picks in the top five wants to get the heck out of there. I would like to see that pool of money redistributed.”
Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always thought that a "Rookie Salary Cap" or a pay scale like that should exist.

The guaranteed money in rookie contracts should be cut in fourth. Their contracts should have a lot of escalators, though. That way, a young player could be payed big-time for meeting expectations, and the team isn't hurt as bad in the event of a bust.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They need to figure out a way to where these players get absolutely paid in full worth if they're everything they're hyped up to be. If not, it shouldn't be franchise-crippling to have to cut a guy after 3 years. I mean, look at Larry Fitzgerald. He's hit every freakin bonus in his contract and dude was making 16 million this year. That's ridiculous jack, for anyone. He deserved every cent of it too, but had he not been putting up the numbers he had, he'd still be making somewhere in the 8-11 million/year range.

Rookie pay scale, give them some decent bonuses, but keep it slotted. That way there's no more training camp hold-outs, no upset veterans and no more fear of having a top 5 pick.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The one thing that makes it a little tougher to create a pay scale in the NFL is that the different positions need to be accounted for. This really wouldn't be too hard to count though, as they could just put the salary at a chosen percentile of the whole leagues salaries at that position or something along those lines. Hopefully something is done in the next few years because it is already ridiculous.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:38 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
The one thing that makes it a little tougher to create a pay scale in the NFL is that the different positions need to be accounted for. This really wouldn't be too hard to count though, as they could just put the salary at a chosen percentile of the whole leagues salaries at that position or something along those lines. Hopefully something is done in the next few years because it is already ridiculous.
i actually saw a pretty good article on that last year around this time.

it said something like each position would get a different amount in a given slot, but no matter what position they are, they would still get more than the player taken after them no matter what position they were.

so for example, say:

#1 overall pick
QB-$25 million
RB/WR-$24 million
other postions-$23 million

#2 overall pick
QB=$22 million
etc etc

so even if you had say, a kicker, taken in one spot, he would get the least money possible for that slot but it would still be higher than the slot after him, even if in that slot was a QB.

i dunno if i made much sense but the article sure did
Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
They could schale it out, give them like 3 year contracts with an RFA-type system when that contract is coming up, with greater exclusivity to re-sign the players. 3 years is enough for analysis on any type of player IMO.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 AM    (permalink
RaiderFan
Rookie

RaiderFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

How much will the top pick cost next year if its a QB? At what point will there be a stand off?
RaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:07 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderFan View Post
How much will the top pick cost next year if its a QB? At what point will there be a stand off?
Well it obviously would be around 36 million guaranteed.

Holy smokes. That's Peyton Manning money.

Peyton freakin' Manning is gonna be paid as much or less than Tim Tebow/Matt Stafford. Ain't that some ish.