Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default So like...Vince Young considered retirement last year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ed-retirement/

wowity wow wow wow.....

what the hell is up with that?

Quote:
At age 24 -- only one year into his NFL career -- he said he considered retirement.

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young said on Thursday after practice. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.
so theres some shocking news i think.....

thoughts on that?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ed-retirement/

wowity wow wow wow.....

what the hell is up with that?

so theres some shocking news i think.....

thoughts on that?
Football becomes more work and less fun the higher a level you play at. I wouldn't trust the mental stability of anyone who plays at a profesional level who doesn't contemplate retirement at least once a season.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Add in the fact that hes not very good and he could have a legitimate reason to quit.

In all seriousness though itd be dumb to quit that early.He still has alot of potential and could be a great QB.If he works hard he could be glad he stayed in the NFL.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Yatta!
Veteran

Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Yatta! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
Football becomes more work and less fun the higher a level you play at. I wouldn't trust the mental stability of anyone who plays at a profesional level who doesn't contemplate retirement at least once a season.
Maybe but nobody else feels the need to come out and say it. It's not a big deal but its still slightly worrying if you're a Titans fan.

Sig by Eaglez.Fan
Yatta! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
Without a doubt. I'm only playing at the 1aa level. By the end of the season you can't even watch a football game on TV you are so burned out. We only have a 4 month season. I can't even imagine going from late July until late December or January(although it would still be awesome.)
Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd hate it too if I played as bad as he did.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF?

Even if the guy is gold with every co-ed in the state of Texas for the next few decades, taking the money and running isn't the ideal thing to be thinking about.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 PM    (permalink
iworshipbender
Pro Bowler

iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iworshipbender is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
WTF?

Even if the guy is gold with every co-ed in the state of Texas for the next few decades, taking the money and running isn't the ideal thing to be thinking about.
You have to take into account his father, who had been in prison for most of VY's life had just gotten out this year. On top of that, he had nothing but negative press last year despite his domestic issues.

I SUPPORT A GREENER OREGON
iworshipbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's ok. Even if he does retire we still have the immortal Kerry Collins.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
WTF?

i know after reading that i look at him a little differently...

i think you have to have a passion for playing, especially to play qb.

imagine if we found out that joe montana or dan marino considered quitting after their rookie years......i wouldn't believe it.

im still having trouble digesting that vince young considered retiring....

imagine seeing the espn crawl to that:

"ESPN's John Clayton reports that Tennessee Titans and NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year QB Vince Young has sent his retirement papers into the NFL offices."

Old 05-24-2008, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Eagles own the NFC East
Veteran

Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.

I have always been a huge Vince Young fan, was my number one prospect in 06, and this worries me a little bit, however in the end, it shouldn't affect his play for this year more so for last season because he was in that state of mind a year ago.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:31 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
i know after reading that i look at him a little differently...

i think you have to have a passion for playing, especially to play qb.

imagine if we found out that joe montana or dan marino considered quitting after their rookie years......i wouldn't believe it.

im still having trouble digesting that vince young considered retiring....

imagine seeing the espn crawl to that:

"ESPN's John Clayton reports that Tennessee Titans and NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year QB Vince Young has sent his retirement papers into the NFL offices."

Sheer pressure from everyone would prevent that.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:37 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd want to retire too if Brandon Jones was my top Wideout.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:04 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
I'd want to retire too if Brandon Jones was my top Wideout.
dont worry! RB chris johnson will solve all of those pesky WR problems!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Sheer pressure from everyone would prevent that.
seriously, in their lust for for anything thats 1.) newsworthy and 2.) negative, they would put it up....
Old 05-24-2008, 01:20 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles own the NFC East View Post
I have always been a huge Vince Young fan, was my number one prospect in 06, and this worries me a little bit, however in the end, it shouldn't affect his play for this year more so for last season because he was in that state of mind a year ago.
I disagree. Why? Because, perhaps more than any other position on the field, the QB requires the unquestioned support of every one of those other 10 men out there with him. People want to talk about leadership? This news severely undercuts the leadership influence that Vince Young has in the huddle. Because of that, it may very well hurt him this season.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Add in the fact that hes not very good and he could have a legitimate reason to quit.

In all seriousness though itd be dumb to quit that early.He still has alot of potential and could be a great QB.If he works hard he could be glad he stayed in the NFL.
Ah come on now! He's had a hall of fame career!

This is pretty natural I think for a lot of guys. Even younger guys. There are guys who contemplate retiring after a game for various reasons, but it's the fact they want to continue to get better and win that allows them to keep playing.

Difficult to explain, but this doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:14 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if you play a sport long enough and you have personal issues going on, the thought of leaving crosses your mind.
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
if you play a sport long enough and you have personal issues going on, the thought of leaving crosses your mind.
Exactly. These guys are all human and have human issues to deal with.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Ding, ding, ding. I don't see why some people don't get that.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:04 AM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
yea...but not after two seasons in the bigs...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:35 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
It's ok. Even if he does retire we still have the immortal Kerry Collins.
I'm still vaguely dissapointed that Duncan McLeod couldn't come up with a better made-up name.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:43 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Its not so much that he had the thought as much as he said it publicly. The fact that he did say it aloud to the press says that it wasn't a fleeting thought that it went way further than that. If I were a Titans/Vince Young fan I would reserve the right to be worried.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:50 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"Retirement" I think is a poorly chosen word. I'm sure plenty of young QB's who go from being on top of the world in college to a reality check in the NFL ponder if they have what it takes, and if they can stand the pressure, particularly during an offseason where there is a lot of time to think. Yes, technically it's 'comtemplating retirement', but it isn't in the same sense an aging player does. I think it's more 'having second thoughts' and 'questioning his own abilities'.

Also, you'll notice Young himself didn't say the word "retirement" in the article, he just agreed with the notion he was having a hard time adjusting to the life of a top 3 chosen NFL QB. He isn't the best interviewing football player and he dangerously mixes that with a reasonably open/frank nature. I'd say most young QB's with similar pressure give their futures a long hard think, but most wouldn't care to admit it. Vince especially because from a passing standpoint - i.e. the aspect to QB'ing that takes the biggest leap from college to the pros - he wasn't ready to start in 06 and I'm sure it was quite a shock for a guy so used to natural ability prevailing, which it did anyway on some occasions.

Anyway, it didn't eventuate and the fact he openly talks about it now IMO is actually probably a good sign as it suggests he has left those feelings behind him and is maturing, which is something he definitely needs to do.

Last edited by OzTitan : 05-24-2008 at 06:56 AM.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sounds like a mild case of depression
Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
sounds like a mild case of depression
Possibly. Also, keep in mind this is around the time his father came back into his life after 20 years of absence, and Vince turned him down until he could think it through. He had a troubled up bringing without a father figure, and something like this may just have been one thing too many for an already swamped state of mind coming off a rookie season where I'm sure he was somewhat humbled by the level of play in the NFL.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote