Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:21 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Talk about the ultimate Madden curse
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All things considered, he still owes a lot to the Tennessee Titans organization. To completely leave them hanging dry would be just as drastic as Michael Vick going to jail. The damage it would do to the organization would be horrible. Granted, it wouldn't be as big as a P.R hit as the Vick situation, but he'd essentially be setting that organization back about 5 years.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Hwoarang
Veteran

Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
The damage it would do to the organization would be horrible.
I can see him wanting to retire they refuse to give him any help on the offensive side.
Hwoarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwoarang View Post
I can see him wanting to retire they refuse to give him any help on the offensive side.
I highly doubt that. If he was worrying about getting help on offense, he wouldn't be considering ending his career. If he retires because he doesn't wanna play for the Titans, that would be the stupidest thing he could ever do. I mean, he got a 12 on the Wonderlic, so i wouldn't put it past him.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:30 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not sure why he'd make this sort of information public. Doesn't make his teammates think any higher of him. These are the types of things that people need to just keep to themself. Most people i'm sure consider it, with all the work they need to put in, but come on, everyone does it, and for much less. You would have to be some sort of idiot to walk away this early. You can retire when u have enough to live off, but he would basically be taking advantage of the system. Plus, i don't see him being smart enough to invest wisely and not spend outside his means.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe it was in light of the whole family ordeal, which wasn't common knowledge, and the adverse affect it had on him last season. And he's dealing with it better now.

Division rival or not, I'd hate to see the guy exit the game now. He's got a world of potential that could be fulfilled.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

This is why I want my athletes too juiced up to think.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

Im surprised by this but I didnt knew what was going on with VY. Obviously the first couple years of a QB's career are the though. Lots of pressure and expectations while you have so much to learn and you have to establish yourself as the leader of the team and in the league. People these days have no more patience so they want results right away.... wich he provided at the end of the day BTW.

I think in a couple years this will be long lost memory for him. He finds ways to win even if his passing game isnt stellar yet. When he gets his game to a certain level and the Titans give him some WR to work with he will be super fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
It's ok. Even if he does retire we still have the immortal Kerry Collins.
LOL

Pray the Lord everyday so you dont have to go to THAT.
Raider_fan_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
zoinks
Rookie

zoinks hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Any Titans fan can tell you that something wasn't right with Vince in 2007. The fire and enthusiasm that he showed as a rookie were nowhere to be found; even when he played well, he just didn't seem like the same guy.

At the time, there was a lot of speculation as to what caused such a noticeable change, but nobody ever suggested that he might have been having family problems. I do recall a couple interviews where Vince suggested that his relationship with his father was pretty bad....if the dad got out of prison and tried to instantly insert himself into Vince's life (and I'd say it's a safe bet that it happened just that way), then it would almost certainly cause lot of emotional turmoil for Vince.

And lest we forget...while Vince's numbers were far from stellar, he's still the #2 rated QB from the 2006 draft, and putting up numbers that are fairly typical of a 2nd year QB. (Only Jay Cutler has a higher passer rating.)

As a Titans fan, I'm not too worried about it. The fact is, he battled through the emotional turmoil and played the entire season. One could even argue that this demonstrates Vince's toughness and resiliency. He's never tried to blame anyone else, or offered up excuses when he struggled. He's dealt with family issues, poor on-field performance, and widespread criticism....and yet he's kept his head up, is looking forward to this season, and has fully committed himself to learning Mike Heimerdinger's offense.

(Everyone has heard about Vince going back to college this past semester; what most don't realize is that Vince was commuting back and forth every week, and spent three days a week working with Heimerdinger).

Am I an apologist? Sure. However, I also feel good knowing that when things got tough, Vince stuck with it, pulled through, and remains committed to moving forward; an awful lot of young QB's never made it that far.
zoinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow... That's absolutely ridiculous. I don't even know what to think about this.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
Without a doubt. I'm only playing at the 1aa level. By the end of the season you can't even watch a football game on TV you are so burned out. We only have a 4 month season. I can't even imagine going from late July until late December or January(although it would still be awesome.)
I agree. I coach D3 ball, and after the season, the first couple days of sleeping in, was the greatest sleep I ever had in my life.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is this really that ridiculous? Is the fact that Vince was honest about the step from being a big man on a big campus to rookie on a less than great team being hard for him ridiculous?

Obviously Vince Young struggled with this, got over it, and continues to play. If he's regained the fun, then he should be fine. I'm willing to bet that he wouldn't have brought it up unless he figured it was behind him.

The reasons for retiring Young cites are the exact same ones Barry Sanders cited. The only real difference is the contract situation each are in. I absolutely respected Sanders' decision, so I have to respect Young's to some degree.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whew . . . good thing he wasn't drafted by the Lions. He would surely have quit after a year.

hhahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahaahahahahhahahahahah ahaha ha
Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzTitan
Anyway, it didn't eventuate and the fact he openly talks about it now IMO is actually probably a good sign as it suggests he has left those feelings behind him and is maturing, which is something he definitely needs to do.
My sentiment exactly. I'm relieved that he's not holding this in to himself any longer, and the fact that he's forthcoming with it likely means that he's over the issue (though I'm sure some anxiety will occur every so often, as it does for most). At least he didn't resort to drugs or alcohol as a mean to cope with his problems.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:33 AM    (permalink
Byrd430
Veteran

Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
All things considered, he still owes a lot to the Tennessee Titans organization. To completely leave them hanging dry would be just as drastic as Michael Vick going to jail. The damage it would do to the organization would be horrible. Granted, it wouldn't be as big as a P.R hit as the Vick situation, but he'd essentially be setting that organization back about 5 years.
Really, if VY did this to the Titans, then the Titans only get what they deserve after what they did to McNair.

But anyway, you can either look this in one of two ways.

1. This is the guy you want leading your team? A man who questions his own passion for the game and contemplates retirement after one year in the game? How does this persuade your teammates to give 100%?

or

2. This really isn't a big deal. He's had a lot of off-the-field issues that he's had to deal with. Plus, the big step from college to the NFL can be overwhelming. I wouldn't doubt that any rookie has felt the same way about his own career. I also agree that it shows maturity from your QB, which is a very good sign. Don't forget that several other players have actually retired for dumber reasons (ala Ricky Williams). The fact that he stuck with it is a great sign that he's willing to face the challenges set for him.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!
Byrd430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd430 View Post
Really, if VY did this to the Titans, then the Titans only get what they deserve after what they did to McNair.

But anyway, you can either look this in one of two ways.

1. This is the guy you want leading your team? A man who questions his own passion for the game and contemplates retirement after one year in the game? How does this persuade your teammates to give 100%?

or

2. This really isn't a big deal. He's had a lot of off-the-field issues that he's had to deal with. Plus, the big step from college to the NFL can be overwhelming. I wouldn't doubt that any rookie has felt the same way about his own career. I also agree that it shows maturity from your QB, which is a very good sign. Don't forget that several other players have actually retired for dumber reasons (ala Ricky Williams). The fact that he stuck with it is a great sign that he's willing to face the challenges set for him.
What do you suggest they did with McNair? Keep him on the roster and have him taking up cap/roster space? He was no good. He had one average season after leaving the Titans and then he stunk it up and retired. Everyone knows there's no loyalty in the NFL so why act surprised?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 AM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's refering to the lockout of minicamp the Titans did to McNair, but don't even get me started on that. It was a 2 way effort - of course the media were blinded to it, but Bus Cook played the Titans like a fiddle. I think you'll find Steve holds no grudge against the Titans for it. If anything the Titans fans should feel betrayed as Steve wanted out of the rebuilding Titans well before being "locked out".
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote