Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-21-2008, 11:26 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Winslow is 25. I'd trade a second for him no problem. If his knees checked out fine I would give a first.

No doubt more talented than almost any player in this class.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:42 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Winslow situation is interesting just b/c we all assume he will be traded. Now if the Browns are an organization that is 100% about a positive image they have to trade him.

Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson demanded a trade and that organization is in shambles.

I understand why we got rid of D Hall b/c he was a cancer in the locker room. Since he has been in Oakland I havent really heard any bad things about him which is good. Maybe Kellen just needs a fresh start, then again maybe not. I guess we will find out if that is a risk we are willing to take.

Positives: if we do get Kellen I would hope it would only cost a 2nd and a lter rounder. K2 immediately fills our need at TE , and would be a huge playmake on the offense (considering his past 2 seasons), and definintly much better than any TE in this draft.

Negatives:
Simply the risk we are taking. The amount of money we are going to have to pay him once we get him in Atlanta. Is he a "team" guy, especially a Mike Smith guy?

Overall Opinion - Im leaning toward drafting Coffman, simply b/c we can get him in our system right away out of college and his ability is great. Im not saying he is better than Kellen Winslow or ever will be, but he has been injury free and has no character concerns at all. I don't like the amount of money we would have to pay K2 either. We could get Coffman cheap on a rookie contract and he could pan out to be a star or he could not be, but if he isnt one then at least he was cheaper than if K2 doesnt pan out.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only reason you do not want Winslow is cause you want Coffman.

Winslow is the most talented TE in the league at catching the football. He opens up that middle of the field for us, and can stretch it too. He would cause so many match up problems, its ridiculous. Safeties can't run with him, and he can catch a ball over any CB. He would open up things for Roddy White too.

If we are picking above 15, I would trade our first.

I do not really see why he is a lockeroom problem either. I don't know any negative publicity about him other than his soulja speech, which wasnt even all bad. He is just a fiery player.

He could complete this offense.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
The only reason you do not want Winslow is cause you want Coffman.

Winslow is the most talented TE in the league at catching the football. He opens up that middle of the field for us, and can stretch it too. He would cause so many match up problems, its ridiculous. Safeties can't run with him, and he can catch a ball over any CB. He would open up things for Roddy White too.

If we are picking above 15, I would trade our first.

I do not really see why he is a lockeroom problem either. I don't know any negative publicity about him other than his soulja speech, which wasnt even all bad. He is just a fiery player.

He could complete this offense.

We all know I want Coffman, but thats not the reason at all. I have said I would love to have Winslow here. I was just weighing the options.

I know K2 is a great TE and would be great for this "Offense" and if our FO determines that his character issues are not a problem then I'd love to have the guy here.

Kinda like Randy Moss going to NE. He has turned his attitude around and K2 has never had the issues Randy once did, so thats obviously a good thing.

There are only a few concerns I have, like I mentioned before is the character(Im on Winslow's side of the latest issue) but he has had a couple of other small ones. The price we pay for him and lastly the chemistry.

So don't get me wrong, As much as I love and want Coffman, I would be happy w/ K2 b/c he is such a good player.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Comparing ATL to NE.

I've seen it ALL now.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Comparing ATL to NE.

I've seen it ALL now.
He didn't compare ATL to NE as an organization or team. He compared a possibly troubled character going to a winning place and not having attitude issues anymore.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 10-22-2008, 02:26 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Comparing ATL to NE.

I've seen it ALL now.
In what way was I comparing ATL to NE??

I was comparing Randy Moss to K2 in the fact of how NE's "Team" was bigger than Randy's ego, and how that franchise turned his attitude around.

Saying that maybe that is what K2 needs, even though he has never had the issues Randy once had.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:27 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He didn't compare ATL to NE as an organization or team. He compared a possibly troubled character going to a winning place and not having attitude issues anymore.
Thanks D, you beat me to it.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
He compared a possibly troubled character going to a winning place and not having attitude issues anymore.
Thanks!

Glad to see we are on the same page!

You'd think a winning place would have consecutive winning seasons!
Old 10-22-2008, 02:34 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

[quote=Bruce Banner;1273805]Thanks!

[b]You'd think a winning place would have consecutive winning seasons!QUOTE]

Gotta start somewhere.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:35 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Thanks!

Gotta start somewhere.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:52 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Reaction formation is a defense mechanism in which anxiety-producing or unacceptable emotions are replaced by their direct opposites.
I am pretty sure you are just jealous that we have a LT that can anchor down our line for 10+ years, a possible top 3 QB in the future, a WR that can be consistently good, and a RB duo that is one of the best in the league.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
I am pretty sure you are just jealous that we have a LT that can anchor down our line for 10+ years, a possible top 3 QB in the future, a WR that can be consistently good, and a RB duo that is one of the best in the league.

I've lived to see this.

You can have your potentially elite offense forever, until you win one of these, it'll be worthless.....and have you ever heard of a defense?

but please.....win consecutive seasons first.

(who beat you this year?)

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 10-22-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:05 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:

I've lived to see this.

You can have your potentially elite offense forever, until you win one of these, it'll be worthless.....and have you ever heard of a defense?

Awesome. You have had a good past and a recent SB win. Dwell in that. We have a potentially bright future. We will fantasize about that.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:06 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Bruce, why can't we be excited??? We havent had much to cheer about in a while. I'm sry we haven't met your SB expectations but at least we have a bright future.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:07 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Awesome. You have had a good past and a recent SB win. Dwell in that. We have a potentially bright future. We will fantasize about that.
Yeah, I have to go backwards in time for success....at least I'm capable of doing so.

For the record.

;)
Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let the Falgoon fans fantasize about the future. It's been a while since they've had something positive going on in their organisation.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Yeah good for you (trying to be genuine?). If we won a SB like 6 years ago, I would bring it up to a division rival that has no SB wins too. I am not saying its a bad thing.

But honestly after our **** season last year, this year has been pretty Godsend.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah good for you (trying to be genuine?). If we won a SB like 6 years ago, I would bring it up to a division rival that has no SB wins too. I am not saying its a bad thing.

But honestly after our **** season last year, this year has been pretty Godsend.
Well I was being a little condescending, but I still think what I said has some merit. The Falcons definitely have the pieces in place on offense to be successful. I could definitely see them being a play-off caliber team for the next few seasons.

However, I really need to see them fix that defense before I think they can become anything better than an 8-8/9-7 team.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Well I was being a little condescending, but I still think what I said has some merit. The Falcons definitely have the pieces in place on offense to be successful. I could definitely see them being a play-off caliber team for the next few seasons.

However, I really need to see them fix that defense before I think they can become anything better than an 8-8/9-7 team.
I think we can be an 8-8/9-7 team with just our offense maturing. It could be very very good.

If we can get good defense, I would say we are SB contenders. Its kind of lame how we dont have anything to look forward too on defense though. Boley is awesome but he is just a SLB. Lofton looks pretty solid as a run stopper...nothing to be EXTREMELY happy about. Once again, he is just a LB. I like Jonathan Babineux on defense but I am not sure how high his ceiling is. We need some defensive studs.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kellen's just a complete and utter pimp. I'd have no problem giving a 2nd and a 4th.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

A second for K2's talent is an absolute steal. But he has had consistent injury problems, and there has to be at least some doubt about his character.

He'd definitely take our offense to another level, and I'd trust TD and Smith's judgment on his character if they do make a move. But one major problem is that he'll be looking for around 7mill per year, and we're already about to have to fist over 7-8mill per year to Roddy and 5-6mill per year to Boley.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I think we can be an 8-8/9-7 team with just our offense maturing. It could be very very good.

If we can get good defense, I would say we are SB contenders. Its kind of lame how we dont have anything to look forward too on defense though. Boley is awesome but he is just a SLB. Lofton looks pretty solid as a run stopper...nothing to be EXTREMELY happy about. Once again, he is just a LB. I like Jonathan Babineux on defense but I am not sure how high his ceiling is. We need some defensive studs.
I am extremely happy about Lofton, he's the MLB that all Defensive Coordinators (that don't have Brian Urlacher) really want to have. He's a thumper, but he's good in space too, better than originally thought, he's always hitting someone in the mouth and making them pay for coming his way. He's not a ballhawk, but man is he good. Chris Houston has given me reason to have guarded excitement about him at the CB position, his aggressiveness and strength are finally being put to use by himself this year, and that's what I want to see, if he can continue on this up slope, I'm sold that he can be a fantastic DB, much like Al Harris (except with much more ability) who is often overlooked because he doesn't have a penchant to have 12 INTs in a season, just goes out and keeps his guy from getting in the endzone. Boley and Babs neither one may be here next year, I certainly hope they are, but there's no way to know that just yet. Babs gets fantastic push and his ceiling is basically Rod Coleman, who was a monster UT. Boley, well, we saw his numbers last year til he got hurt and played through it mind you, and this year while production may be down slightly, he's still playing solid football and doing what he's been asked to do.

Chevis Jackson may never be a #2 corner, but you couldn't convince me of that right now, he's done a fine job as a rookie from the NCB position and I love his ball skills. Kid looks very promising.

Obviously Jamaal needs to have a few more games like he did against the Bears, but if he can then that makes me happy to know that we have a LDE who can not only stop the run, but can be enough of a force in the pass game to make defenses pay him attention because if they don't he's going to get to the QB, and he's going to knock some balls down.

Steven Nicholas, the heir apparent to Keith Brooking, hits like a mack truck and is so versatile could play all 3 LB positions and has played some DE in our strange 3-3-5 looks.

So we have some building blocks, Coleman looks really good, he does his job and doesn't get noticed much, he flashes in the run and doesn't get beat in the pass game, it's a beautiful thing for a SS imo.

The Falcon defense needs another DT (Trey Lewis?) and a Safety (William Moore?) to really turn the page from lower-mid level defense to an upper-mid level defense. I want to have a stable of defensive studs, but it's going to take a while to build that, but if the guys we have can continue to grow, and I feel like they will, then we've started building a good defense here. I also think with a ballhawking Safety we'll see more blitzes from BVG, right now he's trying to protect his weakness, the secondary's pass coverage. But it's like that bend dont break defense we saw when YKW was our DC.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

I've lived to see this.

You live in that, and you live in beating us ON YOUR HOME TURF, but you just remember, you have to come to Atlanta too. While your team knows what that's about, they don't either, and their familiarity with the old Falcons, well that's going to lead them into heartbreak when they leave the Dome. You beat us at home, good for you, you did what you're supposed to, but please, there's no reason to talk it up until after the season series is over. Prolly gunna end up split right down the middle. So show off your old superbowl trophy, I'll show you an inept offense that only finished the lowly Falcons off in the 4th quarter, with a rookie QB in his first start...hrmm...afraid of Tampa...I'm not.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

In Scott's latest mock he has us going with a TE in round one...well looks like he's been reading this board, but it's someone we haven't been talking about and someone I haven't seen much on so I won't comment, I will say though that he has us pass on 3 players of note

Taylor Mays (S USC)
Alphonzo Smith (CB Wake Forest)
BRIAN ORAKPO (DE Texas)

I think any of those 3 would be just as good if not better selections for the Falcons.