Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 10-22-2008, 03:55 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
In Scott's latest mock he has us going with a TE in round one...well looks like he's been reading this board, but it's someone we haven't been talking about and someone I haven't seen much on so I won't comment, I will say though that he has us pass on 3 players of note

Taylor Mays (S USC)
Alphonzo Smith (CB Wake Forest)
BRIAN ORAKPO (DE Texas)

I think any of those 3 would be just as good if not better selections for the Falcons.
Without doubt if you had your pic of players at the tight end position according to what draft pick youd loose my order would be

1) Winslow with a 2nd rounder
2) Coffman with a 2nd rounder - Not as good as Winslow
4) Greshman with a 1st rounder - Might be a bit to high for a TE but deffinatly perfect for what we need.
5) Another TE in later rounds
5) Winslow with a 1st rounder - Bit too risky, need the pic
6) Coffman with a 1st rounder - Bad Value
Old 10-22-2008, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

FWIW guys. I don't think you take a TE in the first unless you know they are going to be special.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
In Scott's latest mock he has us going with a TE in round one...well looks like he's been reading this board, but it's someone we haven't been talking about and someone I haven't seen much on so I won't comment, I will say though that he has us pass on 3 players of note

Taylor Mays (S USC)
Alphonzo Smith (CB Wake Forest)
BRIAN ORAKPO (DE Texas)

I think any of those 3 would be just as good if not better selections for the Falcons.

I'd have taken Orakpo at that spot.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
FWIW guys. I don't think you take a TE in the first unless you know they are going to be special.
You are right. 18 may be high for a TE, but it all depends on the stock.

And, we really do not have a foundation on D. No studs to look forward to. I take my things back about Boley, cause I forgot for a second how awesome he was last year. Lofton is looking good, but DeMeco Ryans, Lofa Tatupu good? No.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I'd have taken Orakpo at that spot.
Agreed. Orako IMO will go higher, especially after his performance against OU. Ive only seen Gresham play in the Texas game and he did have a nice catch and run, granted he was wide open. Big guy at 6'6 260 and a good blocker. Only thing is I dont think he is worth our first round pick (im a little biased).

Im not a fan of Taylor Mays yet. From what I have seen out of him it isnt impressive at all except for his enormous size. I mean the guy is bigger than Boley, he just hasnt performed to my liking at all.

I would not pick Smith at CB at all. We have enough small CB that can run so I see that as a wasted pick.

Id be very happy w/ Orakpo if he fell that far, considering there are no DT worth drafting and Willy Mo is gone, and still to high for an OL. Hopefully someone falls or we trade down for the guy we like.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not even going to get into an arguement about Taylor Mays. I'll just say everyone is ignorant. They all think he is supposed to be a bone-crushing hitter, who can blitz and the like. He isn't that player. Half the people think he is a strong safety! He is a free safety, a center fielder. He doesn't give up the deep pass. He covers ground amazingly. He would be GREAT in the role LaRon Landry is playing in Washington. 20 yards off the ball, roaming the field, preventing the deep pass and making plays on the ball. Not to mention he could line up with big receivers on goal line formations.

He would do wonders for this team.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
Agreed. Orako IMO will go higher, especially after his performance against OU. Ive only seen Gresham play in the Texas game and he did have a nice catch and run, granted he was wide open. Big guy at 6'6 260 and a good blocker. Only thing is I dont think he is worth our first round pick (im a little biased).

Im not a fan of Taylor Mays yet. From what I have seen out of him it isnt impressive at all except for his enormous size. I mean the guy is bigger than Boley, he just hasnt performed to my liking at all.

I would not pick Smith at CB at all. We have enough small CB that can run so I see that as a wasted pick.

Id be very happy w/ Orakpo if he fell that far, considering there are no DT worth drafting and Willy Mo is gone, and still to high for an OL. Hopefully someone falls or we trade down for the guy we like.

Dude change your sig, quickly you'll get an infraction. This should do for now.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think it's smart to waste an early-mid first round pick on a TE. Quite frankly we have a lot of needs all over the field, we should go bpa.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I'm not even going to get into an arguement about Taylor Mays. I'll just say everyone is ignorant. They all think he is supposed to be a bone-crushing hitter, who can blitz and the like. He isn't that player. Half the people think he is a strong safety! He is a free safety, a center fielder. He doesn't give up the deep pass. He covers ground amazingly. He would be GREAT in the role LaRon Landry is playing in Washington. 20 yards off the ball, roaming the field, preventing the deep pass and making plays on the ball. Not to mention he could line up with big receivers on goal line formations.

He would do wonders for this team.
I understand his position and his role. Im not asking him to come up to the LOS and get in the box.

Now what I am asking out of him is when that receiver catches the ball to use his speed and size to lay the wood. My god he is 6'3 235lbs and supposedly has been clocked around a 4.3. He should be a freak out there hitting ppl, and that is not what I have seen.

Bama you say he is a ball hawk but he hasnt even shown much of that this year. Im going to compare him to his own teamate in Kevin Ellison.

Mays- 29 total tackles(20 solo), 0 INTs, 2 pass break ups.
Ellison- 41 total tackles(18 solo) 1INT, 6 pass break ups.

All Im trying to point out is he hasnt shown any production at all or had many hits to go on the highlight reel.

Last edited by dunagan15 : 10-22-2008 at 07:53 PM.
dunagan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Dude change your sig, quickly you'll get an infraction. This should do for now.

My bad. Will do.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I understand his position and his role. Im not asking him to come up to the LOS and get in the box.

Now what I am asking out of him is when that receiver catches the ball to use his speed and size to lay the wood. My god he is 6'3 235lbs and supposedly has been clocked around a 4.3. He should be a freak out there hitting ppl, and that is not what I have seen.

Bama you say he is a ball hawk but he hasnt even shown much of that this year. Im going to compare him to his own teamate in Kevin Ellison.

Mays- 29 total tackles(20 solo), 0 INTs, 2 pass break ups.
Ellison- 41 total tackles(18 solo) 1INT, 6 pass break ups.

All I's trying to point out is he hasnt shown any production at all or had many hits to go on the highlight reel.
http://www.nfl.com/players/laronland...e?id=LAN165690

He's on pace for 67 tackles. Know why? He plays 20 yards off. Comparing Ellison and Mays is pointless. They play different roles.

Landry had 95 tackles as a rookie because he played strong safety until Sean Taylor passed away.

http://www.nfl.com/players/chrishort...e?id=HOR552347

Think Chris Hoton is better than Landry? The stats say so. Like Ellison, Horton has played great and the stats support him, but he isn't close to his counterpart (Mays for Ellison, Landry for Horton).

Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't say Mays is lock down, but he's better then given credit for. I like him a lot. He should be a lot more physical for his size. For all the stuff LaRon can do coverage wise, watch him step up and lay the wood. I'd always go for the pass rush though. It's just become such an important thing with some of the ******** PI penalties we see way too much of, which is why I'd go Orakpo in Scott's mock.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/players/laronland...e?id=LAN165690

He's on pace for 67 tackles. Know why? He plays 20 yards off. Comparing Ellison and Mays is pointless. They play different roles.

Landry had 95 tackles as a rookie because he played strong safety until Sean Taylor passed away.

http://www.nfl.com/players/chrishort...e?id=HOR552347

Think Chris Hoton is better than Landry? The stats say so. Like Ellison, Horton has played great and the stats support him, but he isn't close to his counterpart (Mays for Ellison, Landry for Horton).
I know they play different roles, but he should have at least a few picks. Again my main beef I have w/ Mays is he isnt an impact hitter, and for his size thats sad.

Just looks at Eric Berry and Major Wright.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I wouldn't say Mays is lock down, but he's better then given credit for. I like him a lot. He should be a lot more physical for his size. For all the stuff LaRon can do coverage wise, watch him step up and lay the wood. I'd always go for the pass rush though. It's just become such an important thing with some of the ******** PI penalties we see way too much of, which is why I'd go Orakpo in Scott's mock.
LaRon definitely hits harder than Mays. That's not to say Mays won't improve his hitting, but LaRon definitely has the edge there.

But they do a lot of the same things coverage wise. And keep in mind, LaRon was questioned as a playmaker in the secondary coming out, and his range was questioned. Many just viewed him as an all around good player, but not a playmaker, which is why many perferred Reggie Nelson.

But now, in the NFL, range is Landry's greatest asset. He and mays are very similar in my opinion in their coverage abilities.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
LaRon definitely hits harder than Mays. That's not to say Mays won't improve his hitting, but LaRon definitely has the edge there.

But they do a lot of the same things coverage wise. And keep in mind, LaRon was questioned as a playmaker in the secondary coming out, and his range was questioned. Many just viewed him as an all around good player, but not a playmaker, which is why many perferred Reggie Nelson.

But now, in the NFL, range is Landry's greatest asset. He and mays are very similar in my opinion in their coverage abilities.
I hope you prove my intial feelings about Mays wrong. Id love for him to be that guy that surprises in the NFL.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

He wouldn't be a suprise to anyone but the fans. It wouldn't be a suprise to the GMs, the coaches, the scouts ,etc..

He will be a top pick unless he tests much worse than expected.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He wouldn't be a suprise to anyone but the fans. It wouldn't be a suprise to the GMs, the coaches, the scouts ,etc..

He will be a top pick unless he tests much worse than expected.
I didnt mean a surprise like what the Falcons have done this season, I was meaning more towards myself, like I hope he surprises me based on my initial feelings.

Im not saying Mays is a terrible player, I just see Moore as a much better all around player. Mays is the # 2 safety but he is far off Moore IMO.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I'd take Mays and Orakpo ahead of Gresham. I think that a decent balanced tight end is good enough for our offense, and that we are better off addressing greater needs. A guy like Bear Pascoe in the 3rd or 4th would also be a nice pick. Yes, a good receiving threat at TE would improve our offense, but not as much as a first round S or DT or even DE or CB would improve our defense.

I wouldn't HATE the Gresham pick, but I can think of better...

BTW, I agree that Mays is more of a centerfielder type. If we pick him, I'd look to give him a year to learn, as I think that Milloy can probably hold out one more year. Then is 2010 Mays can come in at FS, and Coleman can shift over to (his more natural position) SS.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wouldnt mind the Gresham pick young guy with alot of potential but around draft time come around I have a hard time beleaving that Orakpo will be available around the 17th pick but I would take Orakpo over Gresham just so he can spell Abraham and play on the other side of Abraham on obvious passing situations and Im not to high on USC players they seem to get too much hype so I would stay away from Mays.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Scott Wright has us picking Jermaine Gresham at #17 in his latest mock.

Quote:
The 2007 calendar year was not kind to Atlanta and from the Michael Vick fiasco to Bobby Petrino quitting on the team in the middle of the season it’s hard to envision a more disastrous turn of events. However, the franchise has now cleaned house and the early returns have been very positive. Atlanta still has plenty of holes to fill though and what the Falcons need more than anything is an impact defensive tackle, however whether or not there will be one worthy of this pick is debatable. Underclassmen such as Sen'Derrick Marks or Geno Atkins could eventually enter the equation but at this point neither is considered to be a sure-fire first rounder. With that being the case they turn their attention to tight end and give their young quarterback Matt Ryan another weapon and safety valve to throw to. Jermaine Gresham is a junior but if he opts to come out early there is a good chance he'd be the first tight end chosen and a first round pick. A fantastic athlete with a great blend of size (6-6, 261) and speed (4.70), Gresham is like a wide receiver in a tight end's body and a real weapon in the passing game but he is also an above-average blocker. Needless to say Gresham would represent a considerable upgrade over Ben Hartsock.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Scott Wright has us picking Jermaine Gresham at #17 in his latest mock.
Little late Bos..haha
Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

How would you guys feel about these guys...I know it early, but I got bored.

Round 1) Willy Mo S 6'1 230

Round 2) Chase "My Man Crush" Coffman TE
6'6 250

Round 3) Max Unger OL 6'5 300

gotta love the beard

Round 4) Hakeem Nicks WR 6'1 210 I love this guy(I think he will go higher just dreamin here hopin he falls)

Round 5) Clay Matthews OLB 6'3 240 just watch the Oregon State game, he was everywhere(in a good way)

Round 5) Jahi Word-Daniles CB 6'0 194

Round 6) Dallas Reynolds OL 6'5 328

Last edited by dunagan15 : 10-24-2008 at 01:45 AM.
dunagan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:39 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't Hakeem Nicks a junior?
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:46 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
Isn't Hakeem Nicks a junior?
Yes, I think he will stay in school in the end, but I love the guy.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, I think he will stay in school in the end, but I love the guy.
If you have him available in round 4 then I'd say he's likely staying in school
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote