Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-22-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not only William Moore, but I've been on Shawn Nelson for a while too :). It all gos according to plan.

But I'm not sure about Nelson in round two. He is an athlete, but he did not line up much at tight end in college (lots of fullback and receiver as well). Not sure I would take him that high.

And although Raji is very good, I'm somewhat happy he has rose out of our range. I've never wanted him, I'm a believer servicable nose tackles can be found later on, just like linebackers. He has ability, I'll stick with my Kris Jenkins comparison.

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 01-22-2009 at 05:50 PM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

works for me. Raji reminds me a lot of Jenkins.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Preo32
Rookie

Preo32 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

see I wasnt too big on Raji, but once he moved up the boards i was, because then if he falls to us, it would technically be a steal based on projections and then it wouldnt be like we are reaching for him, which hurts more if the player doesnt pan out.

Oh well, all we can hope for is whoever we get produces

Atlanta Falcons
Preo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't watch the entire game, but it didn't seem like B.J. Raji was as good as advertised. I didn't tape it, but I figured the Senior Bowl will be replayed some time this week so hopefully that's when I can get a better look at the other prospects. So anyways, I only noticed that Raji had a lot of trouble with his hand work... he couldn't really make "the" move on the interior linemen to get to the quarterback. To be fair, I didn't watch the entire game, like I said, so I'm not sure how well he did in the end.

But after this game, do some of you still think Raji is well out of reach for us? I know a lot of draft nuts had him securing a Top 15 spot after the Senior Bowl practices, but with what I've seen today, he didn't look like he deserved that spot.

Also, how did Louis Delmas look? I know we were really scouting him (according to Scott [Wright], he was one of the few players that we "interviewed" in the week of the Senior Bowl. I would love nothing more to see us draft B.J. Raji, Louis Delmas, and Marcus Freeman in the first three rounds of the draft. At this point, I'm not sure how realistic that is seeing that Raji's stock has been rising up to this point, Delmas' as well, and Freeman has always been a projected 2nd-3rd round type of prospect.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:32 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Delmas made a few nice hits. Did not see him much in coverage, but they were not pushing the ball downfield. Which is good.

Raji was a no-show for the most part. But if he had a good week of practice he is still probably out of our range, especially with him being the only true top defensive tackle and a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense as a nose tackle. Those are rare. And he could excel in a 4-3.

I would like Delmas, Mack, or Laurinitis in round one.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are stuck in a pretty bad position right now. I have no idea who we draft. Perhaps Brandon Pettigrew? We didn't talk about him too much BAMA.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pettigrew is most likely out of our range. I think right now, we are looking at Delmas as a possibility... I'm afraid he's going to rise too high as well though.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Solid but unspectacular TEs tend to stay out of the top half of round one (Carlson, Heath Miller). All it really takes is for Buffalo and Philly to pass and I think you have a good shot at him.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'll wind up with Pettigrew. I also think we're going ot be major players in FA. because as of now we are 37M under the cap. and this is before releasing Brooking and Weiner.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
I think we'll wind up with Pettigrew. I also think we're going ot be major players in FA. because as of now we are 37M under the cap. and this is before releasing Brooking and Weiner.

Where did you get that number from? I've read 20-21 million under.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
Honestly. You have no credible sources as you say that, but there are so many sites that have us around 20 million or so under. Tampa Bay has the most cap space, and they are at about 40 million under, but they have a ton of resignings to deal with.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Preo32
Rookie

Preo32 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im just wondering... what player would you love to see on the Falcons that plays at a position we do not need??? Like a QB, RB... IDK what else. I mean Jeremy Maclin is one of my favorite college players, and I feel like if there was ANY CHANCE he was somehow around during our pick (Ive seen him as high as 7 and as low as early 2nd round) and Raji and other needs are gone, how would you feel on us picking a great player that isnt a great need but could be a huge help if a player at a position we need is too much of a reach for us?? Hypothetically speaking, of course, cuz I want Raji more than Maclin, although I can say I like Maclin more.

Atlanta Falcons
Preo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I would rather have Mack, Delmas, or Laurinitis instead of Pettigrew.

Pettigrew is a good all around tight end, but I think any of the three I mentioned could be All-Pros.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I would rather have Mack, Delmas, or Laurinitis instead of Pettigrew.

Pettigrew is a good all around tight end, but I think any of the three I mentioned could be All-Pros.

I'd prefer Delmas to him, but that's about it. Pettigrew is exactly the type of TE this offense needs. In my opinion, if Matt progresses as he should, a good TE is all we need to have a very good offense.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i understand the want for a catching TE but it just doesn't go with mularkey's philosophy. i would much rather shore up our defensive woes at pretty much every level of our defense than draft pettigrew.

my early BB:
1. BJ Raji - doubt he'll be available but who knows
2. Brian Cushing - performed well at the Senior Bowl, hopefully he's still within our reach
3. Louis Delmas - still not 100% sold on him but everyone seems high on him
4. James Laurinaitis - he had a high stock last year and if coached well i think he'll be a decent replacement for brooking
5a. Max Unger - he would be a utility guy until he's ready to take over at center. he would make our line even more versatile
5b. Alex Mack - he handled Raji well and has great size
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i understand the want for a catching TE but it just doesn't go with mularkey's philosophy. i would much rather shore up our defensive woes at pretty much every level of our defense than draft pettigrew.

Just because he catches passes doesn't mean he doesn't fit. Mularkey's system appears to need a good blocker, which makes Pettigrew such an attractive option. Seeing as how he's a very complete player.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I could see him becoming a Heath Miller or, the popular comparison, Daniel Graham. But I don't see anything warrenting a first round pick.

Mack has all pro potential. Delmas is a minny Bob Sanders, hopefully without the injury concerns. Laurinitis is a playmaker.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I could see him becoming a Heath Miller or, the popular comparison, Daniel Graham. But I don't see anything warrenting a first round pick.

Mack has all pro potential. Delmas is a minny Bob Sanders, hopefully without the injury concerns. Laurinitis is a playmaker.
Mack is the only guy I see as an All-Pro.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Just because he catches passes doesn't mean he doesn't fit. Mularkey's system appears to need a good blocker, which makes Pettigrew such an attractive option. Seeing as how he's a very complete player.
all i'm saying is mularkey's system doesn't warrant a complete TE. catching helps and if we were a complete super bowl team then i would be all for it. we just have too many needs on the defensive side of the ball to saturate our offense. a late rounder or rader would satisfy me.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
all i'm saying is mularkey's system doesn't warrant a complete TE. catching helps and if we were a complete super bowl team then i would be all for it. we just have too many needs on the defensive side of the ball to saturate our offense. a late rounder or rader would satisfy me.
By this do you mean Jason Radar?? I hope not because he is terrible.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
By this do you mean Jason Radar?? I hope not because he is terrible.
ouch.. i misspelled his name and didn't mean him. i meant peelle.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

It is actually spelt Rader, I believe.

Anyway, Mularkey's system doesn't exclude a "complete" TE, it rules out a pure catching TE. A complete TE would be ideal.

An upgrade at TE is not a necessity - we can leave it til next offseason, not everything can be perfected in one go - but it would certainly improve our Offense significantly.

I would not be opposed to Pettigrew in the 1st. And now that Nelson has shown that he is a solid - and, more importantly, enthusiastic - blocker, who could actually be a good blocker with another 10 lbs in a pro training system, I'd be happy selecting him in the 3rd or even 2nd round.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish we could leave safety off till next year. I would like resigning milloy and have DeCoud play more because 2009 safety class should be sick.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I wish we could leave safety off till next year. I would like resigning milloy and have DeCoud play more because 2009 safety class should be sick.
Who else is there other than Eric Berry and Taylor Mays?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

And we do not have a shot at this point of getting one of those players.

Never avoid a player betting on the future.