Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-31-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

agreed. Michael Johnson reminds me of John Abraham. everyone thinks he's a physical freak. everyone thinks he has motivation issues, when really, he will be a very impactful DE in the league and do what he needs to get done. may not be a consistent 10 sack guy early on. but will easily be a 5-8 sack guy.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Mekias hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Clay Matthew's stock may have just gone up again after USC's pro day yesterday.

He improved on his 40-yard time from the combine. Going from 4.67 at the combine to 4.55 yesterday.

He reportedly displayed a lot of quickness and technique in the Linebacker drills and great ballskills in the coverage drills.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes off the board before our pick now.

Last edited by Mekias : 04-02-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Mekias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Dimitroff, being a former scout who specialized in collegiate defensive backs, is sure to be looking hard at the safeties in this draft. He's stated before that he likes safeties who can do it all and will allow the defense to disguise their coverages better. No wonder he's keeping his eye on Louis Delmas. Delmas is a quick, solid cover guy with a love of hard hitting. His size leads some scouts to question his ability to stay healthy but it sounds like TD is still high on this kid.

The other guy that seems to be on the radar is Patrick Chung. From what I've seen (albeit not much), he style seems to be more like Malloy from last year. A pure Strong Safety which won't allow much in the way of "disguising coverages". He's really strong (25 reps at the combine) and pretty fast which usually add up to impressive collisions. But no one seems to think he's particularly good in coverage and could get picked on like he's Roy Williams.

1) Will Delmas hold up in the NFL with his physical style and small body?

2) Can we afford to have a weak cover guy like Chung in a defense that relies so much on safeties to help out?

Last edited by Mekias : 04-02-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

well, at least cutler didn't end up in the division

i see a trade down all the way, right now...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im Happy Clay had a nice pro day as well as Cushing. Just 2 more guys worth trading down for or possibly taking at 24.

Right now it seems a lot of guys are in our range.

Im not sure of how serious the Raji incident is, but I still know there is no hope for him.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
Im Happy Clay had a nice pro day as well as Cushing. Just 2 more guys worth trading down for or possibly taking at 24.

Right now it seems a lot of guys are in our range.

Im not sure of how serious the Raji incident is, but I still know there is no hope for him.
i cant see Raji falling this far cuz one one positive test.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Matthews and Cushing might fall a little now, though. Reports are coming out that both tested positive for steroids at the combine. (NFLDraftBible.com)

Edit: Looking like this report is false now.

Last edited by Mekias : 04-03-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im pretty sure it's true, all those USC players look on steroids. Rey Rey, Taylor Mays, that kicker too, damn.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently we are visiting the USC defense.

Rey Rey Maualuga is coming in for a workout/ visit. I wonder if we would take him. Remember, Darryl Smith was a MLB coming out as well, but Mike Smith played him on the strong side.

Would a Lofton (MLB), Peterson (WLB), and Maualuga (SLB) group work out? I'd be scared of coverage, but that would be one hard hitting group.

And then Lofton/ Peterson and Nicholas in on passing downs.

Eh. I doubt it happens, interesting to think about, though.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Apparently we are visiting the USC defense.

Rey Rey Maualuga is coming in for a workout/ visit. I wonder if we would take him. Remember, Darryl Smith was a MLB coming out as well, but Mike Smith played him on the strong side.

Would a Lofton (MLB), Peterson (WLB), and Maualuga (SLB) group work out? I'd be scared of coverage, but that would be one hard hitting group.

And then Lofton/ Peterson and Nicholas in on passing downs.

Eh. I doubt it happens, interesting to think about, though.
I hope we dont go after Maualuga. If any I would think we go after Cushing or Matthews. Im not a big Rey Rey fan myself, especially not for our system. Unless we are planning to shift to a 3-4????
Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
I hope we dont go after Maualuga. If any I would think we go after Cushing or Matthews. Im not a big Rey Rey fan myself, especially not for our system. Unless we are planning to shift to a 3-4????
there was some talk about a hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense. We are looking for those 3-4 OLBer right now. Interesting.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt it. But We are looking at edge rushers, so maybe some 3-4 looks are conceivable. But we wouldn't draft Maualuga to play middle. We're not going to a full out 3-4, and there is no reason to spend a first round pick on a guy who would only be on the field for 3-4 looks. He wouldn't be on the field on nickel/ dime/ quarter, and not in 4-3 looks.

No, if we drafted him it would be for 4-3 SLB, 3-4 ILB. But I don't see that happening.

Matthews I'm not a big fan of. He is solid, but there isn't a ton of upside there. If any of the three, I like Cushing. But he will probably be gone.

I really like Aaron Maybin, but I doubt he gets past Denver, Detroit, and New England to get to us.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 04-04-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
kiranadwaney
Rookie

kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kiranadwaney is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my choice is delmas. i know there was talk about trading back to get him which would be ideal, but if not i would take hime at 24 unless by any chance pettigre falls to us. dont you guys think we are ok at linebacker at the moment, maybe address it later in the draft?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Matthews I'm not a big fan of. He is solid, but there isn't a ton of upside there. If any of the three, I like Cushing. But he will probably be gone.
I feel the same exact way.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Quote:
I don't understand why you say that Matthews doesn't have upside. He's raw and inexperienced I'll admit but his physical skills are very impressive. He moves like a safety in a 6'3", 245 lb body. My main concern is if he can translate that ability into football skills. But if he's able to do that and puts the work in, he's got a lot of upside. Only Aaron Curry outshined him at the LB position at the combine.

Do you feel like he won't be able to learn the position well enough at the NFL level?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I don't think we should draft an OLBer this year...

peterson--lofton--nicholas

that's a good group, with coy wire backing up. I think we should draft an OLBer next year, since peterson and wire are both in their 30s. We have too many needs in this draft to get an OLBer, peterson and nicholas are both very capable starters.

2010 Linebackers...

Brandon Spikes
Mark Herzlich
Sean Weatherspoon
Rennie Curran
Rico McCoy
Sergio Kindle

much better class than this year, and im leaving some pretty good names out.

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 04-06-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I don't think we should draft an OLBer this year...

peterson--lofton--nicholas

that's a good group, with coy wire backing up. I think we should draft an OLBer next year, since peterson and wire are both in their 30s. We have too many needs in this draft to get an OLBer, peterson and nicholas are both very capable starters.

2010 Linebackers...

Brandon Spikes
Mark Herzlich
Sean Weatherspoon
Rennie Curran
Rico McCoy
Sergio Kindle

much better class than this year, and im leaving some pretty good names out.

god i would LOVEEEEE Spikes of Weatherspoon

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Mark Herzlich and Rennie Curran are my favorite next year. Omg if we land them, i'll go crazy.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-06-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekias View Post
I don't understand why you say that Matthews doesn't have upside. He's raw and inexperienced I'll admit but his physical skills are very impressive. He moves like a safety in a 6'3", 245 lb body. My main concern is if he can translate that ability into football skills. But if he's able to do that and puts the work in, he's got a lot of upside. Only Aaron Curry outshined him at the LB position at the combine.

Do you feel like he won't be able to learn the position well enough at the NFL level?
Because he is maxed out physically and still isn't overly impressive on the football field. Also, Southern Cal. fans have said he looked clueless at times last season.

He will be a solid player, but 4-3 outside linebackers may be the easiest players to come by. Being so easy to come by, he better be a special player to take in round one.

For example, the difference between Matthews (USC-W LB Round 1?) and Tyrone McKenzie (USF LB Round 3?) is miniscule when compared to the difference between Pettigrew (Ok. State TE Round 1) and Travis Beckum (Wisconsin TE Round 3?) or Aaron Maybin (PSU DE Round 1) and Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond DE Round 3?, may go round 2 though).

In my opinion.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
For example, the difference between Matthews (USC-W LB Round 1?) and Tyrone McKenzie (USF LB Round 3?) is miniscule when compared to the difference between Pettigrew (Ok. State TE Round 1) and Travis Beckum (Wisconsin TE Round 3?) or Aaron Maybin (PSU DE Round 1) and Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond DE Round 3?, may go round 2 though).

In my opinion.
I entirely agree. OLB is one of the easiest positions to find a good contributor. A truly special OLB can indeed make a huge difference to a defense - see Brooks, D - but I don't think that Matthews has that kind of potential, and that goes for any position.

There are a plethora of mid round OLBs who have become solid, and sometimes very good, starters.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

It's a little sad because I think Pettigrew would be the biggest upgrade of all the guys that might be available at #24. But it's my belief that Decoud isn't ready, Nicholas is a rather small, average player with little experience, Peterson has lost a step, Jamaal Anderson would be better as a DE rotational guy, and Trey Lewis/Jefferson are backups. If we went into the season with this defense, I don't think any amount of offense would give us a winning record. The only young guy I have confidence in is Chevis Jackson.

I think our offense can play well without a great tight end. I don't think our defense can play well without some major upgrades. I'm not a big fan of any of the DEs that might be available and none of the safeties are worth a first round pick so I'm looking at linebacker. The best value and best fit to me would be Clay Matthews. I wish I had some video of these "seems like he's lost" moments but all I can find is highlights.

DT might be a possibility. Jerry is real good but he's better off at UT. Ziggy Hood might be a decent NT. I no longer think Ron Brace is going to be a good player. He's got the size but his conditioning is way off and he doesn't seem to know how to use his size and strength.

Last edited by Mekias : 04-07-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekias View Post
It's a little sad because I think Pettigrew would be the biggest upgrade of all the guys that might be available at #24.

Agree

But it's my belief that Decoud isn't ready, Nicholas is a rather small, average player with little experience, Peterson has lost a step, Jamaal Anderson would be better as a DE rotational guy, and Trey Lewis/Jefferson are backups.

That's pretty pessimistic (albeit not necessarily wrong). I think that Nicholas and Peterson are most likely to be solid starters, Anderson will be solid and might be better, DeCoud is a total mystery, Jefferson is a backup, and Lewis should be a solid rotational DT.

If we went into the season with this defense, I don't think any amount of offense would give us a winning record. The only young guy I have confidence in is Chevis Jackson.

I think our offense can play well without a great tight end. I don't think our defense can play well without some major upgrades.

I do rather agree with this, but I disagree with the notion that a "major upgrade" has to come in the 1st round. Plenty of quality contributors come from the 2nd-4th round, especially at positions like S and NT, and this staff has already shown its ability to get production out of rookies at every level.

I'm not a big fan of any of the DEs that might be available and none of the safeties are worth a first round pick so I'm looking at linebacker. The best value and best fit to me would be Clay Matthews. I wish I had some video of these "seems like he's lost" moments but all I can find is highlights.

Not convinced by 1st round LB; easy position to fill, and I think that what we have will be solid

DT might be a possibility. Jerry is real good but he's better off at UT. Ziggy Hood might be a decent NT. I no longer think Ron Brace is going to be a good player. He's got the size but his conditioning is way off and he doesn't seem to know how to use his size and strength.

Neither Jerry nor Hood really play like a NT (it's not just about size), whereas Brace does. If a big DT falls out of the 1st round, it's usually because of weight and conditioning concerns. I'm not massively into Brace, but I'd not be upset if we picked him. Personally, I really like Miller or Hill in the 4th/5th.
See the above....
Old 04-07-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

18 more days til the draft. Awesome.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Quote:
That's pretty pessimistic (albeit not necessarily wrong). I think that Nicholas and Peterson are most likely to be solid starters, Anderson will be solid and might be better, DeCoud is a total mystery, Jefferson is a backup, and Lewis should be a solid rotational DT.
Peterson should be able to use his instincts and smarts to play well. I'm not too worried about him. It's good to have at least one veteran among the linebackers.

Nicholas may be good. I've just never seen him do anything that really caught my eye. Then again, he doesn't play too much and actually seemed to play less and less over the past 2 years. Hard to evaluate over a few plays a game.

Anderson, solid, I guess. A starter should be able to put more pressure on the QB though.

The rest I agree with. I hopeful that Lewis can do okay at NT but I honestly am not sure. He's a stopgap for me unless he can prove it in the field.

Quote:
Neither Jerry nor Hood really play like a NT (it's not just about size), whereas Brace does. If a big DT falls out of the 1st round, it's usually because of weight and conditioning concerns. I'm not massively into Brace, but I'd not be upset if we picked him. Personally, I really like Miller or Hill in the 4th/5th.
Jerry is a penetrator/pass rusher who's fantastic at getting leverage and creating havoc. Definitely better as a 3-technique UT. Hood is a little bigger and very strong so he could maybe be an NT in a 4-3. It depends on what TD and Smith are looking for. Brace would be better for a 3-4 NT that just stands there and clogs up the middle. I want a little more movement in a 4-3 NT. In general, I agree that an NT is better to pick up later in the draft. First round money is a lot to give to a space-eater. Preferably we grab a guy or too on day 2 and have a big competition for NT starter.

Last edited by Mekias : 04-07-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
18 more days til the draft. Awesome.
You posted this 12 days ago, and now there are only 6 days left.

It's gonna suck waiting all the way till 24 for our pick, assuming we don't trade. Last year we picked 2 times before this pick.

Quote:
we all hate you