Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 09-20-2008, 11:22 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A. Smith...Wake Forest CB. Wow. Guy has some insane ball skills I want him, he'll correct our kick return problems, and give us some nice depth as well.

E. Brown...Florida State DE. Okay, this guy is an extremely impressive pass rusher and man alive if he's around in the 2nd round...we'd have to get him.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright guys, game day is here, whose all on to discuss and yell into the computer today??
dunagan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what an absolutely terrible first drive
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

hell ya, sack # 1 for Abe on play 1, Anderson looked really good as well gettin in there
Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Anderson looked pretty good on that series guys, got in the backfeild forcing the QB out of the pocket and making a terrible pass.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

sry for the posts, wrong thread
Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Wow, those of you that watched the USC- Oregon State game...So many top prospects in this game and after seeing this game...

1) Taylor Mays was ireelevant, he might be the biggest, most athletic safety that cannot play football. His tackling was terrible for a guy his size, I mean my God, Rogers from OSU is 5'7 175 and he just let the guy run into him. Taylor you are huge why not use your size and speed to your advantage. Overall Taylor Mays may a freak if you look at the numbers but I was not impressed at all. William Moore is the # 1 by far.

Also Rey Rey just looked bad. Blocked all night not showing up big plays, got crushed on pass plays, bad performance.

Cushing looked pretty good, great speed to the ball and had solid tackling. Great OLB.

Ellison though looked great. Much better safety than Mays. He came up on the run and made some great tackles, also was good in pass coverage. Solid 2nd round Safety, good fit for the Falcons.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasn't impressed the DT for USC, I sure hope we don't draft him top 10 like people thought before the year.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:26 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Fili Moala was out of positions all night long, he looked like a joke...in fact all of USC looked like a joke last night, that little pinball was running into the pile, and they couldn't tackle him to save their lives. Just hung out in the middle of the pile for 2-3 seconds then boom out the other side he came. Brian Cushing is a guy that I'm liking more and more. I was going to make a post about him the other day but totally forgot to. He could be our token white boy OLB. I feel like he'd be a great upgrade from Brooking, but given 1 year to come in and learn under Brook it'd be good for him. It'd also be good for our depth etc. Let him and Nicholas compete and see who comes out on top. If we for some reason don't bring Boley back, then we need to pick an OLB obviously, I'd certainly hope we re-sign him. But if for some reason we don't, Brian Cushing will pass up any Safety on my draft board.

I also noticed that Mays wasn't doing what I was expecting to see from him, I saw him flash a few times in the OSU game, but it was like Mays didn't show up today...however...he did have that TD saving tackle against the WR that made him look like a pro for sure. That's the toughest part about college kids is they have no consistency. A Safety will have to develop that and quick. Athletic isn't the question for Mays, it's can he play ball.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no point in drafting an OLB in the first round. It just is not good value. You get an impact player like a DE, DT, CB, and now S in the first round.

However I do agree that Cushing is going to be a damn good 4-3 SLB for some team.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

*shrug* Brooking has paid off, no doubt about that. If we're picking up towards the 10, then of course you can't take him, unless he's BPA, which may be the case...again, I'm not hoping for that...but it's possible
Old 09-28-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Wanted to start a thread to update week to week to see what players impress and would fit the Falcons needs and scheme well.

Im not going to go in depth on their performance this past week unless some of you guys are interested and didnt get to see the games.

DT- Terrance Tyler from Michigan. This guy is a force, watched the whole game so if you want an in depth review on the guy let me know.

CB- Victor "Macho" Harris from VT. This guy is just a flat out playmaker. Returns kicks, lockdown corner, perfect for cover 2. Love this guy.

S- Otis Wiley from Mich St. Real solid player, very disiplined.

WR- Brandon Lafell from LSU. He is really looking like a great prspect. Just seems to get open and make huge cathes. Nice YAC yards as well.

T- Michael Oher from Ole Miss looked his usual self. Not allowing a sack and blocking to perfection. Same goes with Andre Smith from Alabama, just a little more nasty.

Didnt get to see much from Loadholdt today b/c I didnt watch but I'm sure him and Duke mauled as again Oklahoma looked great.

Percy Harvin from UF is electric, not really a fit for the Falcons scheme but man can he change the game.

DE- Greg Hardy from Ole Miss. 100% motor, around every play, sackmaster.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tell me more about Tyler the DT.

Here is what I am wanting right now in our 09 draft. I think we will finish with the 6th pick.

Round 1: CB/DE. With a pick this high, you have to go after a high impact player. I would prefer to look at all DBs, especially top safeties, but if we are picking this high, we have to go after a CB if we want a DB. A guy worth this pick is probably Vontae Davis. I would love his man cover skills, but I am a huge fan of the cover 2. The cover 2 seems to be the way to go if you want to have a top pass defense (Colts, Bucs). Though if we do get Davis, I would not mind. Houston may still succeed in a man to man scheme. Davis and Houston would be able to lock down WRs. I really like Malcolm Jenkins in our scheme, but I see his stock dropping and being worth the 8-12 spot. Now for the DE situation. Jamaal Anderson completely blows and John Abraham has injury/age concerns. Drafting a stud DE at this spot would not be a bad idea. You can never have too many good defensive ends. If Jamaal Anderson does not pan out, then you can replace him. If he does, he can replace John Abraham later. At worst, he can replace Anderson in pass rushing downs and give breathers to Abraham. I do not know who will rise to this spot yet, but Michael Johnson seems to be a great hometown prospect to think about.

Round 2: TE/S. Here at the top of round 2 is where you can find some real valuable studs. This is probably my favorite part of the draft. We have to look at some pass catching tight ends (Alge Crumpler replacement?). Basically, Matt Ryan needs more targets. He likes to spread the ball and Roddy White cannot do everything. He is really taking his game to the next level by drawing double teams and now we need a guy to take advantage of that. A TE is the perfect target for Ryan. Big athletic guy that can take advantage of the middle of the field. This is not completely necessary though. I can see Harry Douglass progressing as a fearless slot receiver, but a TE would be great in the end zone too. Roddy is great and all, but at 6'0" he doesnt really excel in the red zone. As for safety, you should be able to find some valuable guys here as well. Erik Coleman's play has been very satisfactory this season, but we definitely need an impact player in the secondary. We need a guy that can roam the field scaring QBs into throwing and receivers into running around his area. QBs are able to do whatever they want right now to us and this is no good. A S could really help everyone out. I am sure the progression of Chris Houston and Brent Grimes should help our secondary though.

Round 3: OG/DT/C. Jonathan Babineaux is going to be/already is a stud. His name has constantly come up and I have seen him disrupt many plays. He is going to be a fantastic UT for us. We however still need a NT to replace Grady Jackson. Jonathan Stewart and Earnest Graham are terrific inside runners and we need a big high motor guy in the middle. I know it might as well be an oxymoron, but I am sure there will be some guy like that. He might lack talent, but whatever. I personally dont think the position of NT requires that much talent. RG is still up in the air and I want to see how Dahl develops, but as of right now, he is definitely our weakest link on the OL. I am not saying he is terrible, but games are won and lost in the trenches. Replacing McClure at C might not be a bad idea either.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 09-29-2008, 11:50 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good call Lafell if Jenkins leaves I wouldn't mind getting him in the 2nd round. Of course that could change if Robinson has a big year.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsrule View Post
Hey was sup guys....I havent been on here for so long I doubt if anybody remembers me but I still think we need to upgrade our O-Line just like everybody else I have been very suprise by the play of Sam Baker but I still think our O-Line can be better...So if it came down to picking a franchise O-Lineman or a franchise D-Lineman I would have to choose the O-Lineman because you have to have guys back there who can protect your franchise QB.
I remember I said this way before Baker was out with a injury and im going to say it again....If we have a chance to draft Micheal Oher,Eugene Monroe or the LT from Alabama I think we have to cont. to build our offensive line which should come 1st to any other posistion on the field but Im not saying we dont need secondary help you can probally say that our secondary is our weakest posistion right now but I would much rather build our O-Line and then focous on other posistions.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsrule View Post
I remember I said this way before Baker was out with a injury and im going to say it again....If we have a chance to draft Micheal Oher,Eugene Monroe or the LT from Alabama I think we have to cont. to build our offensive line which should come 1st to any other posistion on the field but Im not saying we dont need secondary help you can probally say that our secondary is our weakest posistion right now but I would much rather build our O-Line and then focous on other posistions.
If Baker comes back to pre injury form and continues to play at that level (and maybe improve a bit) we do not need a franchise LT. Our offensive line is not terribly bad. They are inconsistent and inexperienced, but when looking at the future, they are not the worst unit on this team anymore. I would not mind adding a versatile guard/center for a possible replacement of McClure later on, but we definitely have more pressing needs for our to be top 10 pick. Our offense seems to be set for the future except for that ? about Baker's injury and a TE or something. Our defense needs more talent.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Hey D, I will get back to you about Terrance Tyler. Maybe later tonight to pass time. One of my really good friends died in a car accident over the weekend so I have been really busy.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
Hey D, I will get back to you about Terrance Tyler. Maybe later tonight to pass time. One of my really good friends died in a car accident over the weekend so I have been really busy.
Wow. I am sorry to hear that man.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
My sincere condolences sir.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ditto.....

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

thanks alot guys, means a lot
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Terrance Taylor (sorry Ive been calling him Tyler, got confused) - DT Michigan 6'0 weight has been registered from 298-328, this is due to him trying to gain more muscle but from what I saw he def looked around 310.

From the Wisconsin Game- Watched this game to its entirity and had heard a couple bring up his name as an under the radar guy, so I decided that knowing the Falcons could use a DT I rewound every play to just watch him. I can say that on every play this kid gave 100%, whether being double teamed or not he gave his all (might be due to scouts considering from last season taking plays off). First, I must bring up the size of the Wisconsin line. It is said to be one of if not the biggest line in the country avg. 6'6 318 lbs. Therefore even though Taylor was double teamed he still stood his ground never going backwards and allowing the ends to go one-on-one to make plays. When they attempted to single block him he just bull rushed straight into the backfeild redirecting the play. The guy didnt rack up tackles or sacks, though I saw about 2 plays where he made a stop for loss or at the LOS, but the impact he made for his other players was huge. Several times he blew up the lineman and his LB's simply didnt make the tackle.

Don't get me wrong, this guy is no Dorsey or Ellis, but the guy is legit. Hes not a Grady either to just stuff the run, but he can do a little of everything. Draw double teams, and sometimes get some pressure. I love his hustle as well, chasing down screen passes (one where there was a forced fumble and he recovered) and another instance where Michigan had the Pic 6 to take the lead he was the lead blocker taking out 2 men.

Another thing I love is his durability. He has played in 36 games started 24 games. As a junior had 55 Tackles 8.5 TFL and 3.5 Sacks.

He also has has blocked a kick and many times on double teams he was able to jump and get his hands in the air.

If I had to compare him to someone in the NFL I would say his body looks like Sederick Ellis and probably plays like Fred Robbins of the Giants, just maybe a little bit slower.

Overall I see him as a mid 2nd round pick and honestly idk what I would do if I were the Falcons simply because we have so many holes and Im not sure how they want to build the D-line. Babs looks great as out UT and Grady is great at stopping the run so if Smith is willing to wait on a guy like Cody from Alabama or a guy like Austin from UNC I guess thats his decision. Yes the D-line needs to upgrade (but in the overall pass rushing dept., run defense has looked great). The Falcons need help at TE, Secondary and O-line so we just dont have enough 2nd round picks to get enough quality players, b/c all the guys I like that would fit all are in that 2nd round area.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
If Baker comes back to pre injury form and continues to play at that level (and maybe improve a bit) we do not need a franchise LT. Our offensive line is not terribly bad. They are inconsistent and inexperienced, but when looking at the future, they are not the worst unit on this team anymore. I would not mind adding a versatile guard/center for a possible replacement of McClure later on, but we definitely have more pressing needs for our to be top 10 pick. Our offense seems to be set for the future except for that ? about Baker's injury and a TE or something. Our defense needs more talent.

We really want know until the end of the season if were going to need to draft another OT in the 1st because if Baker remains out for along time and never returns to the way he was looking before he was injurned then I think we have to atleast look into drafting one of those big OT in the 1st round but if everything is okay with Baker then do you guys think Vontae Davis or William Moore are worth consideration for a top 10 pick?
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Not sure how many of you guys watched the Mizzou game this week, but Chase Coffman is legit. He is by far my favorite TE in this draft class. He is such a mismatch against linebackers and he can stretch the feild as well. Would be huge for Ryan on third downs as well as in the red zone. Love this guy.

Wouldnt mind taking both players from Mizzou...1st rounder) William Moore 2nd) Coffman
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Myron Rolle stepped his game up BIG time today...wow...impressive. If he can play like that the rest of this season I'm all aboard in the 2nd round. That guy showed today why he was the #1 recruit in the country 3 years ago. Finally ran into through and wrapped up people on tackles instead of stopping and waiting, he imposed his will. He popped one kid real bad, showed his read and react, but his speed is up from last year, his range today was fantastic. When he tweaked his ankle FSUs defense didn't look quite the same until he stepped back out there. He commands respect, had a couple nice pass breakups as well. Impressive.

However, a more impressive thing to me, and I've said his name before and will continue to say it, Everette Brown, kid is a monster. SUPER fast off the snap, always in the backfield, hell of an athlete and great size to go along with it. This kid would be a beautiful solution to spell Jamaal with, and would give us a legit pass rusher opposite Abe. Not saying Jamaal can't become one, but at this point, he's just shown flashes, I wanna see him get there and get it done. His value if he comes out this year may still end up being too high for us to hope for him to fall to the 2nd round, and too early to pick him in the first round, we have other pressing needs. But I really like the guy and would love to see him wearin the Red and Black.

Preston Parker is pure playmaker at WR / PR / KR would love to have him on the team, not sure where he'll end up going, but man the kid is a baller. Opposite him is Greg Carr who in about the 5th round would be a great redzone pickup player, he's a freak down there, 6'6 just toss it up and let him go get it, that's all the kid does at FSU...score touchdowns on fade routes, you know its coming, but you can't stop it...he's a force.

The return guy from Miami...I forget his name...I wanna say Williams, but I'm prolly wrong, I think he was #80, was also a WR, that kid's acceleration is mad scary and would be a great fit here as well.