Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Yeah they certainly have the potential, but thinking it in the lockeroom and going out and saying it is different. I want to see more consistently before I buy into that.
I agree with you but couldn't you have said the EXACT same thing about the Giants before last year, even half way through last year?
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

i hope the vikings have and horriable year so they can get Tim Tebow and that would be a nice team lol
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
Actually I wouldn't call that FUNNY at all.

But what is rather ironic/humorous is that if Zygi Wilf wasn't such a cheapskate 4-5 years ago when they had that prolific offense with Randy Moss while they were as high as 30 million under the cap, they would almost certainly have a ring or two by now.

Moss was made the scapegoat in Minnesota but in reality, it was not spending money to sure up that porous defense that cost them.

When Zygi bought the team is when we started spending big money during the offseason. Our hugely prolifific offense started to go stagnant after that, and you can't blame it all on Moss. Culpepper came crashing down to earth.
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Byrd430
Veteran

Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Byrd430 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't have a problem with what he says..

The NFC is wide open and Minnesota is among the top teams in the NFC. Getting to the Super Bowl is a realistic goal, ESPECIALLY if Jackson steps up. They've brought him some help and this is year 2 under Childress. A smart veteran like Gus Frerotte is in the backup "clipboard QB" spot, so Jackson doesn't have any excuses now.

That being said, it is hard to go from not making the playoffs to winning it all in the course of one year. It's been done, but it's just hard to do so. Especially when so many guys in very important positions haven't experienced the postseason.

Thanks BoneKrusher! The Sig King!
Byrd430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jumping on the "Its not a big deal" band wagon here. Because in reality, as we saw this year, any team can make the superbowl. Its about playing well right when it matters the most. If the vikings can avoid injuries at key moments in the season (specifically the post season, but in other areas too obviously) they can be a contender.

As far as talent and skill between players goes, there may be a huge talent gap from say - the Miami Dolphins to the New England Patriots. But going from Vikings to Cowboys (Or packers or giants or whoever you believe is the top NFC team) is not that huge of a jump.

I'd say Allen did the right thing here. Vikings have a lot of young players and a lot of new players they picked up through trades / free agency and with Allen saying he believes in this team publicly, he's letting those guys know its not just a locker room pep talk but its the real deal - he honestly believes they can compete for the super bowl.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjo672 View Post
I agree with you but couldn't you have said the EXACT same thing about the Giants before last year, even half way through last year?
We had made the playoffs twice before however, and but got beat in the first round. So it's not a stretch to say we want to win the superbowl. My point is that the Vikings haven't made the playoffs for a while, so now talking superbowl all of a sudden is so random. First make the playoffs, and then you can talk about it. That was my point.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 PM    (permalink
the_Kid
Rookie

the_Kid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

IMO the vikings have a very realistic shot at making the super bowl depending on how well T-Jack plays. If he just needs to play well enough so that teams see our passing game as somewhat of a threat. That way opponents will stop stacking 8 men in the box allowing AD and Chester to run free.

If that happens i think it is a two horse race between us and Dallas

sig by guesswhosback

Adrian Peterson>>>>Reggie Bush
the_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't buy that you need to make the playoffs consistently in order to make the Super Bowl. Before the 2003 season, the Carolina Panthers made the playoffs once in eight years (the 1996 season). While the Bears DID make the playoffs in the 2005 season, they did not have an appearance in the postseason from 2002-2004. We were one game away from making the playoffs last year. We are not that far off, but I admit the Super Bowl talk is extremely premature.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:10 AM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
Actually I wouldn't call that FUNNY at all.

But what is rather ironic/humorous is that if Zygi Wilf wasn't such a cheapskate 4-5 years ago when they had that prolific offense with Randy Moss while they were as high as 30 million under the cap, they would almost certainly have a ring or two by now.

Moss was made the scapegoat in Minnesota but in reality, it was not spending money to sure up that porous defense that cost them.
Just to let you know Zgyi Wilf didn't trade away Moss. Red McComb did.

Like DHVF said Every single person in the NFL Should be thinking they are going to win the superbowl this year. They dont think I hope we just make the playoffs. They may say that but You know they are thinking they should have a good chance to make the playoffs and get to the Superbowl.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:36 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly I would have a problem if they weren't expecting a Super Bowl. If you are a player on a good team you should always be expecting to go to the Super Bowl.

One may bring up that there is a difference between thinking that and saying it publically and I would agree. But honestly I think Allen just has a big mouth and isn't afraid to say what he is thinking. We are talking about the guy who at his first public apperance in MN(at the draft party) he talked about something along the lines of how he was going to break Aaron Rodgers jaw in week 1(don't remember the exact quote). I think there are many more good quotes to come from Jared Allen in the future.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:32 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
Wait, isn't the point of playing in the NFL to get to and win the super bowl? So, shouldn't everyone expect to make it there? I personally think it'd be a shame if he didn't.
What's that Herm Edwards?

"You play to win the game!"

Wait, I didn't catch that, can you run that by me again?

"Hello! You play to win the game!

What are you trying to say?

"You don't play to just play it. That's the great thing about sports! You play to win. And I don't care if you don't have any wins, you gonna play to win."

Does it really matter if you get to the Super Bowl?

"When you start telling me it doesn't matter, then retire. Get out."

Why?

"Cause it matters. Th-th-tha-that..."

You sound a bit flustered. Are you frustrated?

"This whole conversation bothers me."

To paraphrase, Herm Edwards agrees with you DHVF. And to be honest, I do too. Everyone should expect to win and everyone should expect to have a Super Bowl season. Otherwise you get stuck in a rut like the Arizona Cardinals, the Detroit Lions, the Oakland Raiders, the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays, and the Kansas City Royals.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I don't buy that you need to make the playoffs consistently in order to make the Super Bowl. Before the 2003 season, the Carolina Panthers made the playoffs once in eight years (the 1996 season). While the Bears DID make the playoffs in the 2005 season, they did not have an appearance in the postseason from 2002-2004. We were one game away from making the playoffs last year. We are not that far off, but I admit the Super Bowl talk is extremely premature.
I guess I see it as being a football coach. If my players, who hadn't make the postseason were all of a sudden talking about getting to the highest level, in public, I'd tell them baby steps first. Make the post season, then talk big. Now if we made the post season, then I'd say ok, next step guys superbowl. But not making the playoffs and then talking big to the public would be premature to me. Right now you guys look good on paper, that's about it.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if Jackson can just do enough to not lose games, it's entirely possible.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:37 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Allen said the same thing with the Chiefs two years ago.

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Duster
Rookie

Duster needs more cowbell.

Vikes will be lucky to make the playoffs, let alone make a Super Bowl run. One step at a time...
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Vikes will be lucky to make the playoffs, let alone make a Super Bowl run. One step at a time...
you really make a great argument! a very insightful post!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

The Vikes are the best at stopping the run and are probably the best running team so with that said I believe they have a legit shot at the super bowl in the NFC. There division is quite weak with GB losing Farve, Chicago has no O, and Detroit is well, the lions. No reason they couldn't get a bye in the playoffs even with Jackson playing mediocre. If Rex can nab the bears the #1 seed in the NFC then Tavaris certainly can with a exponentially better run game.

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Duster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
you really make a great argument! a very insightful post!
They were a .500 team last year in a weak division. They didn't make the playoffs. They have no quarterback as of now and their passing game is non-existent. They have an injury-prone runningback who the entire offense relies on.

Do I really need to post all of this for you draftniks to get my point?

Will the Vikings make the playoffs this year? If their passing game improves, sure they could. Will they win their division? Possible, if Rodgers fails to fill in for Favre adequately but the Packers are still a more talented team from top to bottom. As for them winning the NFC or the Super Bowl...come on. Giants, Cowboys, and Packers are all much better teams on paper and have proven it on the field. The Vikings haven't proven anything other than their own inadequacy the past few seasons.

If they make the playoffs this year, then next year start talking about the Super Bowl. You don't go from zero to hero in a year, especially when they haven't even addressed their biggest issue, the passing game.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
litlharsh
Veteran

litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

^haha, you're such a tool. They've dramatically revamped the passing game, and last year t-jack was essentially a rookie starter. Not a good recipe for success.

The only thing I'm worried about is the O-line
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
Keyshawn because i just hate T.O. he is a cocky son of a biscuit
But an athletic marvel for a second generation confectionary product
litlharsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Duster
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlharsh View Post
^haha, you're such a tool. They've dramatically revamped the passing game, and last year t-jack was essentially a rookie starter. Not a good recipe for success.

The only thing I'm worried about is the O-line
You're right. Vikings are going to the Super Bowl (even though they're not the best team in their weak division).
Old 06-13-2008, 12:49 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They were a .500 team last year in a weak division. They didn't make the playoffs. They have no quarterback as of now and their passing game is non-existent. They have an injury-prone runningback who the entire offense relies on.
If they make the playoffs this year, then next year start talking about the Super Bowl. You don't go from zero to hero in a year, especially when they haven't even addressed their biggest issue, the passing game.
Well. You're right. Their quarterback hasn't even shown signs of turning the corner, their passing game was upgraded with the addition of BB... But, where BB thrived was in the play action. Their offense is really built to kill you on the play action, and what does TJax complete the least percentage of his passes on? Play Action. You're not going to have a competant passing game with that running game unless you can run the play action. And jeez.

I also really think that the Vikes ARE too reliant on AP, they can't have him return anymore. At all. If he gets injured, like he did any time last year, only a little worse, 10 out of 16 games (that he'd miss) would ruin the vikes. I don't think it's a contest for anyone to deny that AP is injury prone, he runs very dangerously, but dangerously well. Super high risk/reward.

I don't think it's the end, but i don't think it's going to be a domination in the NFCN.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Adrian Peterson possibly healthy throughout the season and that front 4, it is definitely a possibility. Jackson's play at QB just needs to be solid.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
litlharsh
Veteran

litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.litlharsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
You're right. Vikings are going to the Super Bowl (even though they're not the best team in their weak division).
It's awesome how you think mildly sarcastic asides constitute a witty argument.

The number 1 wideout last year, Bobby Wade, is now the number 3 option. Jackson, from all accounts has been doing WORK all offseason and has shown up dramatically improved. He's got a ways to go before showing he can be even a competent quarterback, but the pieces are there.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlharsh View Post
It's awesome how you think mildly sarcastic asides constitute a witty argument.

The number 1 wideout last year, Bobby Wade, is now the number 3 option. Jackson, from all accounts has been doing WORK all offseason and has shown up dramatically improved. He's got a ways to go before showing he can be even a competent quarterback, but the pieces are there.
He had a very good argument in the post before it and you called him a tool. I wouldn't bother dealing with you if I were him either.

Anyway, Jackson was supposedly looking great last off season too but actually got worse at the end of the season in my opinion. You can't say all the pieces are there right now without seeing improvement from him. A competent QB is a big piece.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
litlharsh
Veteran

Of course, so I'll hold judgement. But to say that they have a non-existant passing game and which relies on a single runningback is silly at best. Last year, he was fairly ineffective the last 7 games, and they went 5-2. His rushing totals were 0, 0, 116, 3, 78, 27, 36 in those games.

Granted the wins were against poor teams, but the point stands.