Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:59 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

given adams and brach are gone and we dont/cant trade down...

what do we do?

do we reach for moss / spencer? (2 guys i do not like personally in the first)

do we go offensive and grab jarrett? bowe?

if levi is there do we grab him??
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
given adams and brach are gone and we dont/cant trade down...

what do we do?

do we reach for moss / spencer? (2 guys i do not like personally in the first)

do we go offensive and grab jarrett? bowe?

if levi is there do we grab him??
Personally. I may strike a nerve here. but..

If Adams/Branch are gone. And Being I don't want Carriker/Okoye/Willis.

Levi Brown, Ted Ginn, or BPA.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Personally. I may strike a nerve here. but..

If Adams/Branch are gone. And Being I don't want Carriker/Okoye/Willis.

Levi Brown, Ted Ginn, or BPA.
BPA i agree but i think jarrett is a beter fit for us right now than holmes is

ginn and holmes are very similiar type players
Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BPA i agree but i think jarrett is a beter fit for us right now than holmes is

ginn and holmes are very similiar type players
Granted, but I dont' trust Jarrett, it's not the Mike Williams theory.

But he just seems to reek of Lendale White Syndrome.

Ginn and Holmes are Similar players. You can add a big possession WR Next year or later in the draft (There's tons these next 2 years).

However, with Ginn, you get a monstrous Gunner, with great Special Teams ability and gives us a solid Possession Reciever. Holmes is more of a make a play with the ball in his hands Vertical threat (As seen in Cincy in overtime) whereas Ginns a Catch me if you can big Play Reciever.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Granted, but I dont' trust Jarrett, it's not the Mike Williams theory.

But he just seems to reek of Lendale White Syndrome.

Ginn and Holmes are Similar players. You can add a big possession WR Next year or later in the draft (There's tons these next 2 years).

However, with Ginn, you get a monstrous Gunner, with great Special Teams ability and gives us a solid Possession Reciever. Holmes is more of a make a play with the ball in his hands Vertical threat (As seen in Cincy in overtime) whereas Ginns a Catch me if you can big Play Reciever.
what about bowe?

i knowww you dont like him cuz of the dropsies, but hes a big physical guy who can also make plays
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I want Willis now. After locking up Smith for 4 more years DE isn't as pressing of a need as LB. Willis is very athletic, has great size and ran a great 40 time. I'd love to get him at 15. He can't play DE in a 4-3, but he can play any linebacker.

I don't think Moss or Moses are worth taking at 15. Maybe Woodley in round 2.
Smith won't play DE in Cover 2, he'll be the UT. We need a DE.

I think Spencer could be worth a first rounder. I think he is underrated and he will be back up.

Willis could be a possibility, we may need more LBs in Cover 2, but right now we don't.

And no, we aren't taking a WR in the first, you need to get off of that. A red zone threat later in the draft? Sure, but we got enough offensive fire power. Even with our poor stats last year, guys will improve and we'll be fine.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:20 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Smith won't play DE in Cover 2, he'll be the UT. We need a DE.

I think Spencer could be worth a first rounder. I think he is underrated and he will be back up.

Willis could be a possibility, we may need more LBs in Cover 2, but right now we don't.

And no, we aren't taking a WR in the first, you need to get off of that. A red zone threat later in the draft? Sure, but we got enough offensive fire power. Even with our poor stats last year, guys will improve and we'll be fine.
I meant a 3-4 DE. Its still pretty clear we need an end rusher that can play OLB aswell.

Adams would be perfect but I don't think we have any shot to even trade up for him.

I want a 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE. Not to many guys in this draft like that worth 15 so I'd trade back.

Levi Brown is a possibility as well. You can never have to many good lineman.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

Unless one of the top guys drops into our lap at 15, I hope we trade down and get say, late 1st round and an extra second. There are usually quite a few quality players that are sitting there in round two and we could pick up 3 potentially premier players for 2008. I would like to get an offensive lineman(Blalock/Ramirez), corner(ross/hughes) and linebacker. There are quite a few lbs that should be available in rd s 2 and 3, we could get both outside and inside. Remember, we are really drafting for 2008, as our lineup is largely set and few rookies are ready for nfl play right away anyhow.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
Unless one of the top guys drops into our lap at 15, I hope we trade down and get say, late 1st round and an extra second. There are usually quite a few quality players that are sitting there in round two and we could pick up 3 potentially premier players for 2008. I would like to get an offensive lineman(Blalock/Ramirez), corner(ross/hughes) and linebacker. There are quite a few lbs that should be available in rd s 2 and 3, we could get both outside and inside. Remember, we are really drafting for 2008, as our lineup is largely set and few rookies are ready for nfl play right away anyhow.
why would we draft for 08?

right now we have several competing spots that rookies can win on the line (o and D) expecially if we do some hybrid 4 - 3 looks.

Also, WR is not set, we have ward and holmes 1 and 2, but after that a rookie can definetly grab the # 3.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
why would we draft for 08?

right now we have several competing spots that rookies can win on the line (o and D) expecially if we do some hybrid 4 - 3 looks.

Also, WR is not set, we have ward and holmes 1 and 2, but after that a rookie can definetly grab the # 3.
i agree with you on the WR bit but we hardly ever have a rookie on defense come in and start because LeBeaus 34 is do damn complicated that it would take an excellent rookie from harvard to be able to grasp it to be able to start. troy p. the best guy on our D didn't start his first year because of the 34 and its difficulties. i think mainly we are drafting for the 08 year because of the fact that we don't tend to start rookies for year, play them occasionally yes but not start them.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
i agree with you on the WR bit but we hardly ever have a rookie on defense come in and start because LeBeaus 34 is do damn complicated that it would take an excellent rookie from harvard to be able to grasp it to be able to start. troy p. the best guy on our D didn't start his first year because of the 34 and its difficulties. i think mainly we are drafting for the 08 year because of the fact that we don't tend to start rookies for year, play them occasionally yes but not start them.
anthony smith started 6 games last year

i think starting on the line is a lot different then starting in the secondary...

theres only so much you can do on the line, but the secondary the possibilities are many

im just saying if we runa 4 - 3, theres gonna be spots open for competition, mainly the DE's spots
Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
anthony smith started 6 games last year

i think starting on the line is a lot different then starting in the secondary...

theres only so much you can do on the line, but the secondary the possibilities are many

im just saying if we runa 4 - 3, theres gonna be spots open for competition, mainly the DE's spots
yea but it was some of the last 6 games and wasn't clark injured, granted he looked more than ready and i wish they would have started him over clark from like week 2 or so.

i thought tomlin already said that def this year is strictly 34. whatever the case, if we do run 4-3 there will be some spots open for competition but once again the rookies are not going to have the advantage over vets. but could possibly happen.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
yea but it was some of the last 6 games and wasn't clark injured, granted he looked more than ready and i wish they would have started him over clark from like week 2 or so.

i thought tomlin already said that def this year is strictly 34. whatever the case, if we do run 4-3 there will be some spots open for competition but once again the rookies are not going to have the advantage over vets. but could possibly happen.
yeah and i really dont know whats gonna happen, but im just saying you dont draft necessarily for the year after... even if we seem pretty set now

competition is always healthy for the vets
Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:

I think if we get the right DE/OLB guy we'll see SOME 4-3 sets, but I don't think we're going to transition. If we were Tomlin would be smart enough to do it Asap because frankly, it takes about 3 years to get a full transition properly. Problem with it is Ben/Troy/Santonio/Heath will be coming into their primes, So I think he's going to configure a Hybrid down the road, much like the Dolphins. All you need is a good pass rushing DE with abililty in Coverage like Jason Taylor, and you can play any formation you want. Only thing we can do now is wait.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

A new Mock is coming.

Guys want to Laugh?

Remember JoeMontainya with his "We got Steinbach and Clements."

Word has it Clements is on the plane to join SF and Steinbach is going to Tampa Bay to Play LT.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, now we know Steinbach is with the Browns..

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
PittPete
Rookie

PittPete PittPete PittPete

I'll bet the house that not one draft pick(unless its a punter) will start at the beginning of this year for the steelers. The only open spots anyhow are center and Porter's lb position and Harrison will likely get that. 2008 might be scary because we may have to face losing several longtime players; Faneca, troy, Haggins, Kreider and who knows who will get injured. It's better to draft to fill holes before they open. As for wideouts, why is everyone antsy about our receivers? Hines and Holmes are great; Washington and Wilson are good #3s, would be great if they could hold onto the ball more and dont forget Wille Reid. Last year in preseason, Reid looked like our best receiver. I would only grab a wideout late in the draft for some roster competition.
PittPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPete View Post
I'll bet the house that not one draft pick(unless its a punter) will start at the beginning of this year for the steelers. The only open spots anyhow are center and Porter's lb position and Harrison will likely get that. 2008 might be scary because we may have to face losing several longtime players; Faneca, troy, Haggins, Kreider and who knows who will get injured. It's better to draft to fill holes before they open. As for wideouts, why is everyone antsy about our receivers? Hines and Holmes are great; Washington and Wilson are good #3s, would be great if they could hold onto the ball more and dont forget Wille Reid. Last year in preseason, Reid looked like our best receiver. I would only grab a wideout late in the draft for some roster competition.
ill take that bet, especially after the draft after i see who we get
Old 03-04-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I wouldn't take it. We rarely start rookies at the beginning of the year. See Santonio, Ben, Smith, Troy, etc. etc. etc.

Follow Me on Twitter!
Old 03-04-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if we are sitting and dont move in the draft we should get BPA and i think that is going to be Dwanye Bowe or maybe maybe Willis i mean i dont see many of the other teams in front of use taking him expect for San Francis Buffalo St. Louis thats if we dont trade down
Old 03-04-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you guys think we are going to try and get Banta Cain from FA
Old 03-04-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
i think we should see what kinda $ hes looking for first then possibly explore that avenue
Old 03-06-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
I wouldn't take it. We rarely start rookies at the beginning of the year. See Santonio, Ben, Smith, Troy, etc. etc. etc.
True. I'd be more surprised to see a defensive rookie start than an offensive rookie start this coming season.

Offense is being streamlined. It was called "A Hodge-podge and mess of 7 different O Coordinators languages". Now Arians is redesigning it and Rookies could start on Offense earlier.

then again with Haggans/Harrison the only OLB's.. don't be surprised to see Anthony Spencer light up the stage.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
He's coming in for a visit, but I'd rather not...

Quick facts:
  • Played for New England
  • Was the Pass Rusher behind Richard Seymour
  • Was not even pursued by NE

Hmm. The fact that NE has enough money to pay Adalius Thomas, Kyle Brady, Wes Welker, and even has the room to throw money at Randy Moss (They really want him)... and they made no attempt at Banta Cain? That should speak volumes about him. He's been on the market, seen 4-5 teams and no one has even made an offer.

I don't like it. Not one bit. I think we have better options in the draft.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

i would rather want to draft LB rather than gettin DE's and turning them into lb's