Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Not too mention all these other RBs have had pro bowl caliber O-linemen to play with. Larry Allen is the only one that came close to being selected I bet. Gore is better than most are giving him credit for. Put Barber, Portis, even AP behind Jonas Jennings and company and you'll see why 49er fans praise Gore so much. Not too mention a non exsistent passing game and a stupid ass Offensive coordinator.
Larry Allen has not been very impressive ever since he came to the 49ers and certainly did not deserve his Pro Bowl spot in 2006.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
So despite all the facts that he hasn't missed game time, his knee injuries that dropped him down on draft charts haven't been an issue, he plays behind a horrible offensive line, he faces eight guys in the box almost all the time, and he has no help at the skill positions yet still makes it happen, you're just going to dismiss him? Sounds like a personal issue to me.
Ha, chill out dude, I'm not even trying to say he sucks or take a personal stab at him. Sounds like you might have a personal issue or a man crush though.

I said he was good, just not top 5. I think he is a real good player, just not as great as you 9er fans think. Obviously coaches, scouts, and players feel more along the lines of what I think, as opposed to the GOD mode you guys are trying to make Gore out to be.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
The homerism is out of control in this thread, everybody thinks their RB is a little better then where they are ranked...I do know this though, CBS Sports.com and PFW came out with their own rankings list, and it was gathered from the help of coaches, scouts and execs, their top 10 looked like this, with grading scales out of 5:

1. LT 4.7
2. Brian Westbrook 4.35
3. Adrian Peterson 4.3
4. Steven Jackson 4.25
5. Larry Johnson 4.0
6. Marion Barber 4.0
7. Joseph Addaii 4.0
8. Willie Parker 3.85
9. Fred Taylor 3.85
10. Willis McGahee 3.75

So that would have Barber even higher on this list since some people have a problem with him where he is on this list, and that list has no reason to be biased what so ever...Gore came in at 11 on this list at 3.75 also, just so people can see some other perspective instead of their own homerific views...This list was compiled with the help of people in the NFL right now, not fans of guys they watched play every sunday and think they are the best thing ever since they only watch that one person play...This isn't "fact" either, but its more credible then what some fans say about their own players in defense.
Can I get a link to that?

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:38 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Ha, chill out dude, I'm not even trying to say he sucks or take a personal stab at him. Sounds like you might have a personal issue or a man crush though.

I said he was good, just not top 5. I think he is a real good player, just not as great as you 9er fans think. Obviously coaches, scouts, and players feel more along the lines of what I think, as opposed to the GOD mode you guys are trying to make Gore out to be.
I don't understand how he HASN'T been a top 5 back in the league? Marion Barber isn't top 5 if that's what your insinuating and until AP plays another season, I refuse to give him that honor (although I have man crush on him). Put any RB in Frank Gore's place and the only I think could succeed is LT.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Ha, now you're throwing personal insults because you can't back up your claims. I already told you what Gore has to work with, yet he still makes it happen. You have yet to respond to these points. I don't really care how you "rank" your runningbacks, all I care is that you first know both sides of the story before you sound like you know what you talking about.

Can for the record can you please tell me why you don't think he's that great of a runningback? Or rather, why your choices are better? Or better yet, why you think he's "overrated".

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 06-18-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ha, now you're throwing personal insults because you can't back up your claims. I already told you what Gore has to work with, yet he still makes it happen. You have yet to respond to these points. I don't really care how you "rank" your runningbacks, all I care is that you first know both sides of the story before you sound like you know what you talking about.

Can for the record can you please tell me why you don't think he's that great of a runningback?
He can't because he has absolutely no argument in putting Marion Barber over Gore, besides the fact that he's a homer.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

would both of you please show me where I said Barber was a top 5 back?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
He can't because he has absolutely no argument in putting Marion Barber over Gore, besides the fact that he's a homer.
There are arguments to put Barber over Gore. But all of them would be a stretch. Barber style is not well balanced like Gore, so it's pretty easy to pick his game apart.

I will give him that Barber is a much better short yardage/goal line back. This is an area where Frank has struggled.

Other than that. I can't see many arguments for Barber.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Can for the record can you please tell me why you don't think he's that great of a runningback? Or rather, why your choices are better? Or better yet, why you think he's "overrated".
Let me clear this up first, then you can ask me another question if you still want a response.

I think Gore is a good running back. I'll even say very good. I don't think he is in the top 5 in the league. So, it is my personal opinion that there are at least 5 rb's better than Gore... possibly more.

If you would like a list of at least 5 I would have LT, Westbrook, AD, LJ (unless he pulls an Alexander and falls from great to poop in 1 season) , Sjax.

Beyond those 5, there are others such as Portis who I would put ahead of Gore.

It's ok if you guys love Gore and think hes great. I love Barber and think he's awesome too... But you're failing to realize that when grading the RB of your favorite team, people tend to overrate their favorite players.

Doesn't it seem weird that only 9er fans are putting him in their top 5?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Let me clear this up first, then you can ask me another question if you still want a response.

I think Gore is a good running back. I'll even say very good. I don't think he is in the top 5 in the league. So, it is my personal opinion that there are at least 5 rb's better than Gore... possibly more.

If you would like a list of at least 5 I would have LT, Westbrook, AD, LJ (unless he pulls an Alexander and falls from great to poop in 1 season) , Sjax.

Beyond those 5, there are others such as Portis who I would put ahead of Gore.

It's ok if you guys love Gore and think hes great. I love Barber and think he's awesome too... But you're failing to realize that when grading the RB of your favorite team, people tend to overrate their favorite players.

To tell you the truth I actually had him at 6. Before we crown AP the messiah of the running game I'd like to see him do it again.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
There are arguments to put Barber over Gore. But all of them would be a stretch. Barber style is not well balanced like Gore, so it's pretty easy to pick his game apart.

I will give him that Barber is a much better short yardage/goal line back. This is an area where Frank has struggled.

Other than that. I can't see many arguments for Barber.
I could easily say Barber is a tougher runner, has better vision, and is better at finding the end zone. He just has a nose for the goal line.

All of that is irrelevant since I never said Barber was better than Gore, or tried to say Barber was in the top 5.

An argument is being started over things I never claimed.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
To tell you the truth I actually had him at 6. Before we crown AP the messiah of the running game I'd like to see him do it again.
I agree with that. If you look back at my posts I said that he isn't as flawless as everyone makes him out to be. I specifically said he was inconsistent and has durability concerns which is why i would put him no higher than 3.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Actually no. The 49ers don't have that many national games and are a losing franchise right now. Not a lot of people see Frank Gore play as they do Adrian Peterson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook, etc.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess you haven't read numerous articles that have Barber rated higher then Gore, guess their Cowboy homers too, because only Cowboy homers think that way

I just gave you a credible magazine that didn't have Gore top 10 in the NFL, whats their reason, niner haters? Not to say I agree or disagree with anything else in the thread, but its silly to say you have to be a Cowboy homer to have Barber higher when non Cowboy fans and credible magazines share the same sentiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I guess you haven't read numerous articles that have Barber rated higher then Gore, guess their Cowboy homers too, because only Cowboy homers think that way

I just gave you a credible magazine that didn't have Gore top 10 in the NFL, whats their reason, niner haters? Not to say I agree or disagree with anything else in the thread, but its silly to say you have to be a Cowboy homer to have Barber higher when non Cowboy fans and credible magazines share the same sentiments.
This isn't about 49ers fans or Cowboys fans showcasing any type of homerism, it's about looking at both side of an issue before you make a thorough analysis. And stating that sporting magazines say this or that does nothing to boost an argument. In fact it makes it worse in my opinion. Sportswriters and their judgments carry just as much weight as anyone on the street that watches football closely.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This isn't about 49ers fans or Cowboys fans showcasing any type of homerism, it's about looking at both side of an issue before you make a thorough analysis. And stating that sporting magazines say this or that does nothing to boost an argument. In fact it makes it worse in my opinion. Sportswriters and their judgments carry just as much weight as anyone on the street that watches football closely.

Does nothing to boost an argument? But didn't you just say only a Cowboy homer would have Barber over Gore, so what excuse does that give sportswriters? Mind you this isn't even done from primarity writers POV, its gathered from scouts, coaches, and compiling the information into a list...Again its still about perspective, but I'm sure you would use it to your advantage if it had Gore ranked where you say...I don't have a say in the matter one way or the other, just wanted to point out that not only Cowboy "homers" have Barber ranked higher then Gore, actually I could find numerous different places that have him ranked higher, but maybe their all Cowboy homers too, thats the only logical reason, because there is no way one logical person could find any reasons to rank Barber higher other then homerism or bias, I get it.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barber>Gore. And **** the Cowboys.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Barber>Gore. And **** the Cowboys.
Pretty much sums up how i feel
Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How can anyone seriously say Barber is better than Gore? They both were drafted in 2005 and Gore has 1300 more rushing yards, and per yards per carry, and 500 more receiving yards, and more yards per catch. Sure Barber has him owned in touchdowns but that is because the Cowboys' offense gets in the red zone a lot more

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 06-18-2008 at 07:33 PM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
How can anyone seriously say Barber is better than Gore when his best season in 975 yards?
As much as you guys talk about people not seeing Gore play, I would venture that you don't see Barber play that much if you just want to go off pure yardage...I like both guys, alot, but its crazy to see you guys losing sleep that Gore isn't ranked as high as you all see him...If you want to go off pure yardage, that means Ron Dayne is better then Michael Turner, or that Deshaun Foster is better then Jones-Drew...I guess we shouldn't factor in that Gore had 60 more rushing attempts, with 125 more yards, so what do you think the outcome would be if he had been given 250-300 carries.

For all I care I hope we keep him around 200 and let people doubt what he can do his entire career if it means stretching his career or prime 3-4 extra years...I won't go into detail about what he does so well, but there is a misconception that he is just a wrecking ball that gets the ball and runs into defenders while plowing forward, and thats it, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
How can anyone seriously say Barber is better than Gore? They both were drafted in 2005 and Gore has 1300 more rushing yards, and per yards per carry, and 500 more receiving yards, and more yards per catch. Sure Barber has him owned in touchdowns but that is because the Cowboys' offense gets in the red zone a lot more
Yea because Barber was drafted and totally used as a feature back when he came into the league Come on man, Barber was nothing more then a goal line back and short yardage back when drafted, if you want to compare those stats to a full time feature back whom the offense revolves around then be my guest...I won't even waste my time on this assessment.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As much as you guys talk about people not seeing Gore play, I would venture that you don't see Barber play that much if you just want to go off pure yardage...I like both guys, alot, but its crazy to see you guys losing sleep that Gore isn't ranked as high as you all see him...If you want to go off pure yardage, that means Ron Dayne is better then Michael Turner, or that Deshaun Foster is better then Jones-Drew...I guess we shouldn't factor in that Gore had 60 more rushing attempts, with 125 more yards, so what do you think the outcome would be if he had been given 250-300 carries.

That is my point. People are saying they haven't seen enough of Gore to put him in the top 5, some people are dumb enough to even leave him out of the top ten, yet there are no arguments when Barber is placed in the 4-6 range
Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
That is my point. People are saying they haven't seen enough of Gore to put him in the top 5, some people are dumb enough to even leave him out of the top ten, yet there are no arguments when Barber is placed in the 4-6 range
I think after the top 4 which most people have

LT
Westbrook
AD
S Jax

It gets all jumbled up, LJ, Gore, Barber, Addai, Parker, Portis, all those guys could be grouped into 'tier 2' of the RB's, I don't think any of those guys belong in 'tier 1' quite yet but arguments could be made...but its pointless to argue where exactly guys should be ranked once you group them into tiers, its in the eye of the beholder...Niners fans probably see Gore at 5 with no problem, others might now, that doesn't make them wrong, my thing is why can't people have an opinion? Thats perfectly fine with me if you or any other niners fans think Barber doesn't deserve a top 10 ranking, or anywhere near it, I could care less because that doesn't change how he plays for us.

But posting career stats to back your claims just doesn't work for so many different reasons that should be easy to figure out...Also the reason I posted that other list was to get a subjective list of professionals, these guys aren't ranking players because they are a fan of a certain team, or they see one guy more then the other, and more then anything its a list from alot of different opinions, not solely one guy...You guys can't keep calling every list crap that doesn't have Gore ranked where you think he should be.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think after the top 4 which most people have

LT
Westbrook
AD
S Jax

It gets all jumbled up, LJ, Gore, Barber, Addai, Parker, Portis, all those guys could be grouped into 'tier 2' of the RB's, I don't think any of those guys belong in 'tier 1' quite yet but arguments could be made...but its pointless to argue where exactly guys should be ranked once you group them into tiers, its in the eye of the beholder...Niners fans probably see Gore at 5 with no problem, others might now, that doesn't make them wrong, my thing is why can't people have an opinion? Thats perfectly fine with me if you or any other niners fans think Barber doesn't deserve a top 10 ranking, or anywhere near it, I could care less because that doesn't change how he plays for us.

But posting career stats to back your claims just doesn't work for so many different reasons that should be easy to figure out...Also the reason I posted that other list was to get a subjective list of professionals, these guys aren't ranking players because they are a fan of a certain team, or they see one guy more then the other, and more then anything its a list from alot of different opinions, not solely one guy...You guys can't keep calling every list crap that doesn't have Gore ranked where you think he should be.
I actually see Gore at 4 ahead of Jackson but that might be a little biased even though when you compare each of their first seasons it doesn't seem biased.

And I can respect other people's opinions but to say that a player that has averaged 1500 total yards and 6 total touchdowns per season his first three years even though he got very little playing time his rookie year and has been on bad teams with 4.9 yards per carry and 8.2 yards per catch isn't a top 10 back is stupid
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I actually see Gore at 4 ahead of Jackson
No. Just no.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote