Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
AaronGrayisKing

Per Rotoworld:

"Bengals rookie second-round WR Jerome Simpson has continued to struggle during practice.
Simpson is reportedly in "no way ready to replace Chris Henry as the No. 3 receiver." He may be limited to special teams play early in his career while he develops his receiving skills. The No. 3 spot will likely come down to Antonio Chatman, Glenn Holt, Marcus Maxwell, and third-rounder Andre Caldwell."

I've been down on this guy ever since I saw his gauntlet at the combine... Brutal!

I've posted a couple times on how I felt and it seemed as though no one saw what I did.

So...

My question is that with all the negative pub he's getting(performance wise) how are Bengal fans feeling about him?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

None of us (at least I hope), expected him to be an immediate impact type player. He's the sort that explodes in their third year as opposed to right out the gate. Everything I've seen points to him being one of the hardest workers on the team. At this point, I'm not concerned in the least bit.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerome Simpson really really reminds me of a more explosive Brandon Lloyd. Usually that would be a huge red flag for me, because Lloyd was about as incapable a receiver as I've ever seen, but he failed partly because he simply didn't have a chance to beat 90% of the corners in the NFL. Simpson has tremendous leaping ability and nice speed, but he's raw, and more importantly, really unrefined.

His route running needs a lot of work, but I think the potential is there. Coming from Coastal Carolina University, he appears to have developed a fair number of bad habits.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah... I fully expect Caldwell to be more productive this season, possibly next as well. With that said, I love the Simpson pick... It's just going to take some developing to get what we need.

I don't expect him to see the field on offense much this year. Holt/Maxwell/Caldwell should get that PT but I expect some flashes.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
None of us (at least I hope), expected him to be an immediate impact type player. He's the sort that explodes in their third year as opposed to right out the gate. Everything I've seen points to him being one of the hardest workers on the team. At this point, I'm not concerned in the least bit.
Exactly, Simpson is raw, he wasn't even playing at a D-1 school, I didn't expect him to come in right away in the slot, but he has alot of upside when he puts it all together he could be an explosive #1 WR...Which in Cincy's case is fine, TJ and Chad will probably play this year, and probably next year at most, when one or two leave Simpson should be seasoned enough to be a serious weapons for Palmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
AaronGrayisKing

Do you think he should have been taken in the 2nd?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cant say I'm surprised...right now, he's just a freaky athlete. His route running was noted as being rather raw. He rounds everything off and although, he has great speed...he's never really learned how to use that yet. He certainly has the speed to get great seperation but, this has not been a strength of his game. It's going to take him a little longer than some others to get up to speed...but, when he does, he can become something special.

He reminds me a lot of Sam Hurd on the Cowboys, just w/ more speed. W/ Jerome's speed he most likely has the bigger upside but, these two are very similar. He's a hard woker and wants to be great...it will take some time but, I think he'll get there.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 06-16-2008 at 05:13 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGrayisKing View Post
Do you think he should have been taken in the 2nd?
Yes. Word is he would have been gobbled up if we waited till the 3rd. We still got our immediate impact receiver in caldwell. But Jerome is a project this offense needs to replace chad (which, if anyone on this team has the potential to actually put up the same numbers as chad or more when he leaves, its Jerome).

Projects suck if you need em to produce early, but we're heavy on receivers and we don't. He was a good pick.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Simpson's extremely raw, what did you expect? He's got great physical skills but mentality he's got a long way to go before he's an impact receiver. Let this guy learn how to run routes better and then judge how he's doing.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatEscape View Post
Simpson's extremely raw, what did you expect? He's got great physical skills but mentality he's got a long way to go before he's an impact receiver. Let this guy learn how to run routes better and then judge how he's doing.
Agreed. That and lets at least get to training camp...
Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 PM    (permalink
AaronGrayisKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
Agreed. That and lets at least get to training camp...
I agree. However, my intention with this thread was to argue whether or not he should have been taken in the 2nd. After seeing his combine and watching the way he reacted to certain things I was almost certain this guy will never be anything more than a 4th wr.

I think the Bengals really misjudged this pick. At best he's a 4th-5th round pick IMO.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Supposedly the Steelers were going to pull the trigger on him later in the round, so they did what they had to do to get a player they wanted.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:20 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not worried about this either, dude has some crazy physical tools but just needs to learn some real technique. You can argue the pick all you want but we'll see if he pans out in 2-3 yrs. Even if he doesn't become what we all kind of expect him to be I believe its worth it to take that chance.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

thats sad to hear about him. he was one of my favorite prospects in the draft and I really wanted him to end up on my Bears.

He should be able to get out of this funk though....maybe hes just one of those players that turns it on when he's in actual game conditions.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nothing we didn't already know going in... He is raw and needs work. Great athlete with a ton of upside that doesn't need to produce right away. While I still like the pick, the only thing I will say is, there were far greater needs that we could have addressed on the defensive side of the ball.
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:34 AM    (permalink
AaronGrayisKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMedic View Post
Nothing we didn't already know going in... He is raw and needs work. Great athlete with a ton of upside that doesn't need to produce right away. While I still like the pick, the only thing I will say is, there were far greater needs that we could have addressed on the defensive side of the ball.

Thats what I was thinking... If I was a Bengals fan I would've been irate with this pick. This kid has tools (jumping,running) but his lack of hands and route running will keep him on the sidelines for his career(however long or SHORT it will be).
Old 06-17-2008, 01:28 PM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

I will politely disagree that he will have a career on the sidelines. That is what coaches are for and I will hold out any final judgements for at least the kids third year is over. The one position that has been hard to question the Bengals organization on in reference talent, is wide receiver. They just know how to evaluate the WR position better than average.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMedic View Post
The one position that has been hard to question the Bengals organization on in reference talent, is wide receiver. They just know how to evaluate the WR position better than average.
Amen to that... I don't question them when it comes to Oline, WR or CB. Anywhere else is fair game.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...son/index.html

Nice article on Simpson I found...
Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 AM    (permalink
AaronGrayisKing

&@^$ it! I still think he won't be a decent player......But its tough to not root for a guy like that....
Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Always hard to judge how a WR may or may not do before he's even put on the pads and runs routes in a training camp. Not only that, given the fact it takes most WR's a couple, if not three years to get to a point where they are really productive, I will hold judgement. The Bengals ability to scout WR's should be reason enough to hold off right now.

Yeah, you have to love a kid like this though !!!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am pulling for him. Reminds me a lot of David Pollack from a character standpoint. Gotta love this kid.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never expect most rookies to make an immediate impact on the field or garner much playing time. Yeah I like to talk and hype them up but thats to keep my own hopes high.
I never expected Jerome to be a starter. I thought he was the absolute right pick at our spot. The Bengals wanted him and so did teams later in round 2.
We werent looking for a big tall receiver who is pretty much at their peek (Sweed/Hardy). We wanted the guy to groom to take over a big role not a slot guy.
And it is just wayyyy too early to tell. Everyone struggles at some point.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Simpson will have trouble, but he will be fine. Sidney Rice had trouble but now look at him seems to be coming out.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
BengalsPwn
Veteran

BengalsPwn needs more cowbell.

I would of been happier with the pick if Sweed and Jackson weren't still there. I was actually shocked that we passed up on the bigger names. But hopefully he turns out ok I guess....

Big ups to jkpigskin for the sig.
BengalsPwn is offline   Reply With Quote