Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-28-2007, 08:25 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Computer Help

i recently got $600 dollars from the government for school stuff, i already payed off my classes and got my books, so i decided to get my own computer, so thus i ask for the expertise of the pit

what is the best desktop computer I can get for $600? It will need to be able to run Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign, plus it should be able to some games and music

here are a few I've been looking at

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840115553

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840382612

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For $600, build your own.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
YouNeverKnow
Rookie

YouNeverKnow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8208254&type=product&productCate goryId=pcmcat103700050061&id=1166840382612It

would be fine for Photoshop since it has a 2.8 Ghz CPU and a gig of ram. For games, especially newer ones that require good video cards it probably wouldn't be the best choice since it has an integrated video card.

My suggestion if your not able to build a PC on your own, and want to just buy a system online from somewhere would be to go on a computer forum, like toms hardware and ask for recommendations on what to get for what you are using it for. Just remember to say that you are looking for suppliers like Dell or HP, else you are liable to get a thousand different setups that you would have to put together yourself.
YouNeverKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

pricewatch.com - look at barebones. borrow a friends OS to install (better, yet, downlaod linux for free).
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
snuff

Hes looking at Bestbuy computers and you tell him to DL linux... Yeah good call.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

slickdeals.org

is another site that lists some great deals when they are out. Probably the best bet if you can play the waiting game a bit.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With photoshop, the more RAM you have the better, that and a Processor over 2ghz should do you find.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can build a decent setup these days for $600 assuming you won't be buying a monitor, speakers, OS, or anti-virus software.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff View Post
Hes looking at Bestbuy computers and you tell him to DL linux... Yeah good call.
sometimes you have to throw someone into the fire.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:52 AM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

is there anybody on these forums that knows hardware pretty well? I was wondering if somebody could figure out the best computer i'd be able to buy with $1000. I'm trying to build it myself so piece by piece what would i need?

That's excluding the monitor and such.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
is there anybody on these forums that knows hardware pretty well? I was wondering if somebody could figure out the best computer i'd be able to buy with $1000. I'm trying to build it myself so piece by piece what would i need?

That's excluding the monitor and such.
Really depends on what you're looking for.

Go to tomshardware.com and see what the top motherboard is these days. I built a mean mofo about 6 months ago for under $700, I built my brother a nice PC for ~$350. Newegg.com is the online store I use. I feel comfortable with their low prices, service, and reliability.

You just have to do a bit of research on your parts. If you don't have an operating system, that'll be $140-190 right off the bat (depending on which OS you pick).

*The most important thing to consider is the case. You'll need one with good airflow and the right size for you. Typically, the best, most reliable components fit on an ATX motherboard, so you'll probably want an ATX MidTower.

*The next thing you're looking at is the power supply. Most cases that come with power supplies come with crappy power supplies. Almost not even worth it to get a case with a power supply already in it (paying more for to get a useless part included). #1 thing to remember with power supplies is that the heavier it is, the less likely it is to be crap. The heavier, the better. This is probably the only piece of hardware you probably want to buy at a real store. For brands, I swear by Corsairs they're beasts.

*The Motherboard and CPU are the next matters of business. Intel has surpassed AMD by quite a bit in recent years, so it's the obvious choice of CPU. The trick is whether you want QuadCore or DualCore. Most non-hardcore consumers roll with the DualCore as it's markedly cheaper. The QuadCore choice would likely run the rest of your components up over the $1000 mark.

*Memory is pretty key. 2GB is the ABSOLUTE minimum you want these days. It's cheap, so ensuring you have a proper amount shouldn't be an issue.

*The Graphics card is the next major decision, and this one is really dependent on what you want to do with the PC. If you want to play games, you need a good one. If you're just futzing around with email, MS Office, and the internet, it's not nearly as important (almost an afterthought). nVidia has really conquered the market on this component (similar to Intel for CPU's)... The GTX series is the top of the line right now. It'll run you at least $170, though I'd recommend planning to spend $250 on this part - that's usually where you get the best performance-price value (from my experience anyway).

*A hard drive is obviously needed... You can get a 1TB HDD for $80. I recommend Seagate HDD's as I've never had a problem with one. I've had problems with Western Digital, but that was awhile ago and you'll typicall get the best price from WD. Look at the RPM's to compare different HDD's, and try to make sure you get a 3.0GB/S SATA hard drive.

*Optical drives are relatively cheap. Get a standard DVD Burner, you can get one for $30, sometimes less... Unless you really want a Blu Ray ($160+)... But I'd really hold off on the Blu Ray until the price goes down (shouldn't be long), and just add it as a second drive. Make sure you get a SATA. You don't want to deal with IDE cables if you don't have to - I'm so glad those things are a thing of the past.

*Sound cards are optional. All motherboards come with onboard sound, and it's generally pretty decent. You can spend a good bit of cash on a really nice sound card, and it'd probably be worth it, but it's not necessary.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
i recently got $600 dollars from the government for school stuff, i already payed off my classes and got my books, so i decided to get my own computer, so thus i ask for the expertise of the pit

what is the best desktop computer I can get for $600? It will need to be able to run Photoshop, Illustrator, & InDesign, plus it should be able to some games and music

here are a few I've been looking at

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840115553

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840382612
You almost have to build your own to get a system that can perform those tasks at that price tag. Anything you get in that price range is going to have integrated graphics, which is not what you want for photoshop, et al.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
You almost have to build your own to get a system that can perform those tasks at that price tag. Anything you get in that price range is going to have integrated graphics, which is not what you want for photoshop, et al.
look at the date
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Oh...at least someone uses the Search function...
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://forums.pcper.com/

Is a great site for advise, but more notably they have a great "Hardware Leaderboard" with some very solid machines at different prices.

From my experience, current PC is the 4th I have built, what ever you do don't cheap out on the RAM or Power Supply. If you want to save money, get a mid-high range motherboard with a decent onboard soundcard inbuilt.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just threw this one together.

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Sh...px?Submit=view

Core i7, 6 gigs of Ram, Spacious Hard Drive, Decent Vid Card. Should be more then capable of running anything you need it to.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote