Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea Hester > Jordan ;)

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He absolutely deserves it. One of the, if not the most, explosive players in the league without a doubt. God I wish he wasn't in our division.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Any return he makes is equivalent to catching a 30-yard pass on offense.
Wouldn't it be a 15-yard pass on offense, since that was his average yardage on punt returns last year?

Anywho, I think it's a lot of money to tie up on a special teams player but clearly he has a big impact on their team. Ultimately it's hard to pay a guy that kind of dough without him contributing on offense as well, and to be honest, I doubt Hester ever really breaks out there like he has on special teams. Hopefully for the Bears that means he'll fail to make a number of these incentives and the contract price will be lower.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
You cant compare Hester and Michael Jordan.
Does Jordan hold the rookie return records?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Bruce
Rookie

Bruce is a cocksman.Bruce is a cocksman.Bruce is a cocksman.

He got as much guaranteed money as Colston. That's BS.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
He got as much guaranteed money as Colston. That's BS.
no its not....

Old 07-27-2008, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Bruce
Rookie

Bruce is a cocksman.Bruce is a cocksman.Bruce is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
no its not....
The dude returns kicks. He's a kick returner. So he's the best. He's a kick returner.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

and a guy who scored 2 Rec TDs. He scored 8 TDs which is more than we had rushing TDs.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
and a guy who scored 2 Rec TDs. He scored 8 TDs which is more than we had rushing TDs.
I think that's more a knock on your offense than it is praise for Hester.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I've already expressed my opinion that Colston really isn't that special, but it's a lot easier to get a slow yet tall receiver with big hands than it is to get a once in a lifetime player like Hester.

That's not to say Hester is more valuable than Colston (though I personally would rather have Hester), but there is an argument to be made about each player's value on the open market. I think if both were free agents that Hester would actually get more money, but it's hard to say.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

who cares about the offense? He was the best guy, so we had to pay him like that.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hester a once-in-a-lifetime player. Strong words there BF51.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
Hester a once-in-a-lifetime player .strong words there BF51.
It's not strong words at all. He's the greatest return-man of all time. It's not even close.

That's actually a pretty obvious statement.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:52 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
who cares about the offense? He was the best guy, so we had to pay him like that.
You were the one that brought it up in the first place.

Quote:
Well I've already expressed my opinion that Colston really isn't that special, but it's a lot easier to get a slow yet tall receiver with big hands than it is to get a once in a lifetime player like Hester.

That's not to say Hester is more valuable than Colston (though I personally would rather have Hester), but there is an argument to be made about each player's value on the open market. I think if both were free agents that Hester would actually get more money, but it's hard to say.
I don't think it's as easy to get someone like Colston as you're making it out to be. He's by no means a burner, but he still does enough to get separation, and create to have Brees throw to him.

I didn't watch many Bears games, so if someone can find a stat on the average field position on kick returns or punt returns, i'll give some rep. Hester ranked 41st in the league in KR's so i wanna know if that's more of squib kicking or what.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

i meant he was the best guy on our offense so we had to pay him like that

i think the Bears were 1st in Field Position starting at about the 33. I believe the Pats were second

Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How many WR's in the league are there like Colston? How many KR/PR's are there in the NFL that are on Hester's level?

I think that's what 51 was trying to get at. The man has set return records in his first two seasons and he looks to be a threat at WR as well if he keeps working at it.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
i meant he was the best guy on our offense so we had to pay him like that

i think the Bears were 1st in Field Position starting at about the 33. I believe the Pats were second
Where did you get that or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
How many WR's in the league are there like Colston? How many KR/PR's are there in the NFL that are on Hester's level?

I think that's what 51 was trying to get at. The man has set return records in his first two seasons and he looks to be a threat at WR as well if he keeps working at it.
Well that's quite a comment to make when about three WR's play extensive time per game per team, as compared to the one, maybe two returners.

I think Hester has become a tad overrated at this point. Again, i'd like to see the field position numbers, because there are times where he just gets completely taken out of games. I wanna know where the Bears were those games offensively. Yes, his speed and agility is second to none, but a lot of times he does a lot, and doesn't gain much.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I don't doubt that Colston is more productive per game than Hester (even if you take into account the yardage we get simply by teams not kicking to Hester). I'm simply saying that a talent like Hester is harder to find than Colston, but again, I've already stated that I think Colston is a guy with great hands and size but otherwise a statistical product of his system. I've argued it extensively so I really don't want to otherwise.

I've also stated that I think Berrian is a more valuable receiver than Colston, and the fact that Hester's contract was a bit smaller than Berrians (less incentives) then I personally think it's fair value, albeit perhaps a bit overpaid on the field production side due to Hester's popularity. Saints fans no doubt feel they got a bargain in Colston, and that's certainly their right.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
You were the one that brought it up in the first place.

I don't think it's as easy to get someone like Colston as you're making it out to be. He's by no means a burner, but he still does enough to get separation, and create to have Brees throw to him.

I didn't watch many Bears games, so if someone can find a stat on the average field position on kick returns or punt returns, i'll give some rep. Hester ranked 41st in the league in KR's so i wanna know if that's more of squib kicking or what.
here's a link... starting field position is listed as LOS/dr

http://football-outsiders.com/stats/drivestats.php

as you can see, the Bears had the best starting field position of all NFL teams. This is all a result of Devin Hester.

For reference, Joshua Cribbs and Cleveland were third in the NFL.

since you didn't watch the Bears play... I'll give you a little run down of what happened... Teams would kick it to about the 25 yard line either in the air, or with a squib, and Hester would return it about 10 yards to the 35.

On punts, the opposing team either kicked the ball out of bounds, or extremely high in the air so that Hester had no chance to return it.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Last edited by VoteLynnSwan : 07-27-2008 at 11:12 PM.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
You cant compare Hester and Michael Jordan.

....Yet!wooooooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 PM    (permalink
MOTU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't doubt that Colston is more productive per game than Hester (even if you take into account the yardage we get simply by teams not kicking to Hester). I'm simply saying that a talent like Hester is harder to find than Colston, but again, I've already stated that I think Colston is a guy with great hands and size but otherwise a statistical product of his system. I've argued it extensively so I really don't want to otherwise.

I've also stated that I think Berrian is a more valuable receiver than Colston, and the fact that Hester's contract was a bit smaller than Berrians (less incentives) then I personally think it's fair value, albeit perhaps a bit overpaid on the field production side due to Hester's popularity. Saints fans no doubt feel they got a bargain in Colston, and that's certainly their right.
Hester is getting paid about $6.5mm/year. That is overpaying in my opinion.

Terrell Owens: $8mm/year
Andre Johnson: $7.8mm/year
Marvin Harrison: $4mm/year
Reggie Wayne: $3.3mm/year

That's just a few guys. Unless Hester pans out as a big-time wide receiver, I think the Bears regret this signing.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

You can't compare him to past contracts, of course it's going to be more than guys that signed deals a few years ago before there was a spike in contracts.

Look at the deals that were given out this offseason, that's the only fair comparison. He's still making less than Javon Walker and Bernard Berrian, and I would take Hester over either of them. I've already said my piece on Colston. I can't remember if there were other high-profile receiver signings.

I don't deny that he may never earn every cent of the contract, but in a few years it won't seem that high. People **** their pants when Reggie Wayne signed that contract a few years back.

I also have no idea where you got your numbers but Reggie Wayne is definately making more than 3.3 per. He signed a 6 year 40 million dollar deal.

Marvin Harrison likewise signed a 7 year-67 million dollar deal.

Unless you're only counting base salary, in which case you have to do the same for Hester as well. Don't skew numbers to fit your argument.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe people are questioning this signing. He's making less than guys who were just drafted and haven't proven their worth. Hester is well-proven and much of his value is tough to quantify with statistics. It's not like this deal is some sort of cap-buster. Have you guys seen the salary cap lately? There's plenty of room for guys like Hester. Bears were smart to sign him now. Good for them.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:32 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hester deserved a payday, this contract is incentive laden so it doesn't matter one iota unless he learns how to play receiver.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Hester deserved a payday, this contract is incentive laden so it doesn't matter one iota unless he learns how to play receiver.
People make it seem like FO's are so dumb, they're just going to give them money for doing nothing.

No. They want hester to basically dominate as a number one. they'll give him the moon if he can do that. If he basically is a pro-bowl receiver in three years (yeah, hold your breath), he'll probably be making that money that his contract would love to get him. Also, if the bears don't want to, they can make him return kicks, and not play receiver... that'd kill some possibility that he'll make his bonuses...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote