Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 PM    (permalink
MOTU

MOTU's Power 10 Pack

1. New England Patriots

The best team last season come into this season with Super Bowl expectations after last year's letdown. There are some personnel question marks (in the secondary, like always), but this team has proven it can cover up a few positions of weakness. Brady and the offense look as scary as ever and the defense should be great as always under Belichick.

2. San Diego Chargers

The Chargers have all the pieces of a championship team. They just need to go out there and win one. There isn't a more talented group in the league but until they put it all together I can't rate them ahead of the Patriots.

3. Indianapolis Colts

The Colts are a great team with some great pieces. I question whether Harrison is still an elite receiver but even without him at that level the offense should be one of the best in the league. Add in a defense that is stepping up and earning their keep and you have another Super Bowl contending team.

4. Dallas Cowboys

There is a bit of a dropoff here after the first three teams. The Cowboys look great on paper, but they still haven't won a playoff game with this group. I like what they did in the offseason but this team feels like it could implode at any time. Still, a team this talented and this well-coached is always a tough matchup and they should be the pride of the NFC this year.

5. New York Giants

The Super Bowl Champions at #5? Yup, right where they belong. They lost some key players on defense, and let's be honest: they weren't even the best second best team in the NFC last season. They had a great run but I don't think another Super Bowl visit is in the cards. Expect Eli Manning to have a big season, but I think the magic retired with Michael Strahan.

6. Green Bay Packers

They lost Favre, which at the very least gives them some question marks at quarterback. Sure, Rodgers is coming into a near perfect situation but you can't expect him to come in and be Roethlisberger. The offense looks great all-around though if Rodgers can hold his own. The defense is one of the league's top units but there might be a few question marks with their aging corners and the question marks at defensive tackle.

7. Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers' offense has some very effective weapons and Roethlistberger knows how to use them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were one of the top ranked units in the league next year. The defense is getting older but they have the experience and some youthful injections here and there which should energize the entire team. There are question marks along the offensive line but if that unit works out this is going to be a very tough team to beat.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars play great football in the trenches, and that's why they're this high. They win games but pounding the rock down your throat and on defense overwhelming your offensive line. The problem is they still need more proven pass rushers (we'll see how the rookie ends do) and they really need some receivers. Garrard is a good quarterback but without legitimate targets teams are going to stack the box and prevent them from grinding out first downs on the ground.

9. New Orleans Saints

The Saints disappointed big last year but look for them to bounce back. There's still a ton of question marks on defense but Vilma and Ellis should go a long way in improving that unit. The offense, with the addition of Shockey, has the potential to be as dominating as the Colts. They'll be very creative offensively with their talent and I think their defense should be steady enough to earn them a playoff run.

10. Cleveland Browns

This team is fun to watch and really has some special talent on offense. Look for them to continue to spread the ball around and really go after teams early. On defensive, they made some great pickups along the defensive line which will go a long way in continuing the Browns' rise. In a year or two, this team could be a serious Super Bowl contender.

---

Feel free to post comments or your own lists.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You remind me of a young John Madden.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

nice debut.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:51 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Very good list. Not really any surprise or sleeper teams, but a solid list overall.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shocker list.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still don't see what everybody sees with the Steelers. Especially with the absolutely brutal schedule they have this year...
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you forgot to put the Buccaneers on the list. You might want to fix that...

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I fail to see how the Pats were the best team last season.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jags should be at 6, Packers at 7, and Steelers at 8. The Bucs>Browns.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
I hate the argument that the Giants were a worse team than the Patriots. It really, really irks me.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
I hate the argument that the Giants were a worse team than the Patriots. It really, really irks me.
It took a miracle of a miracle for the Giants to beat the Patriots. I can see the argument.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 AM    (permalink
MOTU

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Quote:
The best team doesn't always win the Super Bowl. The Giants were the best team that night, but the Patriots were the best team over the course of the season. You replay that game and the Patriots are still the favorites. Heck, the Giants were probably only the 3rd best team in the NFC.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Over a 18 game stretch, the Patriots were better. Over that one game stretch in February, the Giants were better. The Giants got the hardware, but the Patriots were the better team.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:33 AM    (permalink
islandboy843
Pro Bowler

islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.islandboy843 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Giants fans are starting to piss me off.

YOU ARE NOT THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

Y'all got hot at the right time and won the SB. Congrats

But you lost Shockey, Strahan, And Wilson.

Right now i would have the Giants at 9 or 10 on this list.

islandboy843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:10 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am calling it now, the New Orleans saints won't come better than third in the NFC South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy843 View Post
Giants fans are starting to piss me off.

YOU ARE NOT THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

Y'all got hot at the right time and won the SB. Congrats

But you lost Shockey, Strahan, And Wilson.

Right now i would have the Giants at 9 or 10 on this list.
So a player who didn't play a meaningful role after week 8 and overrated safety replaced with the best one in the draft is a big deal?

Strahan is the only real loss and with the Giants mix of young and veteran DTs, DEs, LBs and tweeners of everything in between I don't think they'll drop off that much.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I stopped reading when I didnt find the Falcons here. Terrible list.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:33 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Falcons should be fun to watch, they won't win much but there's so much exciting young talent it'll be worth it.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:12 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
I am calling it now, the New Orleans saints won't come better than third in the NFC South.

You can call it now, i'm pretty sure no one will believe you. Shockey + Colston + Henderson = Solid. Deuce + the not RB, RB = good for 1500 or so yards... add a good set of d-ends, vilma playing in a 4-3...

sure, they have a bit harder schedule seeing as the bucs are pretty solid, carolina is good, but bank too much on delhomme, and falcons are rebuilding... i think they're just slightly ahead of the bucs, but, i don't know. gruden is as gruden does. either way... i think too much is at risk for carolina AND the bucs to go +.500 while the saints don't reach 8-8...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 AM    (permalink
GermanSaint
Veteran

GermanSaint hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post

thats one spot higher than the (year in year out , highly overrated ) panthers , probably
Old 07-28-2008, 03:34 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
You can call it now, i'm pretty sure no one will believe you. Shockey + Colston + Henderson = Solid. Deuce + the not RB, RB = good for 1500 or so yards... add a good set of d-ends, vilma playing in a 4-3...

sure, they have a bit harder schedule seeing as the bucs are pretty solid, carolina is good, but bank too much on delhomme, and falcons are rebuilding... i think they're just slightly ahead of the bucs, but, i don't know. gruden is as gruden does. either way... i think too much is at risk for carolina AND the bucs to go +.500 while the saints don't reach 8-8...
I've predicted the traditional split against division opponents for the saints. I just don't see their defense as being strong enough despite what their offense holds.

I think they'll go around 9-7 or 8-8.

To be fair though I see the NFC South as being a three horse race which will likely end with 1-3 being 2 or less games apart. I just see Carolina and Tampa as the stronger units.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:31 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's because you're a Giants fan.

90% of this board needs to take the ******* homer glasses off.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:15 AM    (permalink
SaintsMan
Veteran

SaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairSaintsMan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

You know your Defense sucks when you add one of the best Defense Line Coaches in College Football, who is already working wonders, Jonathan Vilma, Sedrick Ellis, Tracy Porter, Bobby McCray, Randall ***, 3 starting D-linemen from last year drop a considerable amount of weight and are looking very explosive and your D can't even be decent.
SaintsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They were. That's why it was so special when the Giants beat them in the big game. I realise that this makes no sense to you, but admitting the Patriots were the better, more talented team just adds to the Giants' achievement, IMO.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsMan View Post
You know your Defense sucks when you add one of the best Defense Line Coaches in College Football, who is already working wonders, Jonathan Vilma, Sedrick Ellis, Tracy Porter, Bobby McCray, Randall ***, 3 starting D-linemen from last year drop a considerable amount of weight and are looking very explosive and your D can't even be decent.
Vilma was a good addition. Ellis still has question marks and hasn't played a down in the NFL. McCray still hasnt shown anything that I'd call consistent and Randall *** is the worst cornerback starting in the division.

New orleans has had a good defensive line for the last few years and it hasn't been enough to make that defense good enough to win games. The addition of a rookie DT and an inconsistent DE who registered 3 sacks last year doesn't make it so.

signing a poor coverage cornerback in a scheme that uses Man coverage isn't a winning signing either. If that defense does anything its all because of Vilma and the DE position.

Tampa still has a more complete roster.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
That's because you're a Giants fan.

90% of this board needs to take the ******* homer glasses off.

Bingo. The Patriots were the better team, but that's not what always wins ball games. It's kind of like when an 80 something win team wins the WC in baseball, but really hits their stride and wins it all.