Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Matt Roth: Our New Starting SLB?

I was pretty sure throughout the entire training camp that the battle to replace Jason Taylor on the outside was between Quentin Moses and Charlie Anderson. But now Roth has started the last 2 games at OLB for us and continues to practice there. Is he our new starter at OLB opposite Joey Porter? Sure he will offer us very little in the area of pass coverage, but what he will lack in pass coverage ability, I believe he can more than make up with his run-stopping ability. With him at OLB, we will be nearly impossible to run on IMO, when you replace him at DE (which is where he was starting originally) with a 290 pounder like Merling, Langford, or Starks, it gives us big time run-stuffing ability with all the extra muscle out there. And to dog on him for his deficiences as a pass rusher, you have to assume we have someone more capable in that area behind him, and with only Charlie Anderson and Quentin Moses as the other options, I don't believe we really do. So why not!?

Thoughts!?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 AM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Eh, I don't think he is athletic enough to play OLB, he's will really suck in coverage seing as he doesn't have good speed and he will have trouble beating OTs for the same reason. He was nothing more than a run stuffing guy in the first place, was never known for his athletic ability and speed. I really don't see this working out for the Dolphins and I don't think he will do very well and will be replaced by the middle of the season by the 2 you mentioned. He hasn't been overly productive at the OLB spot thus far only getting 4 tackles in 2 games with no other stat recorded (no sacks, INTs, FF).

But, he was a LB in college and only moved over to DE in 2002, so you never know.
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan_45 View Post
Eh, I don't think he is athletic enough to play OLB, he's will really suck in coverage seing as he doesn't have good speed and he will have trouble beating OTs for the same reason. He was nothing more than a run stuffing guy in the first place, was never known for his athletic ability and speed. I really don't see this working out for the Dolphins and I don't think he will do very well and will be replaced by the middle of the season by the 2 you mentioned. He hasn't been overly productive at the OLB spot thus far only getting 4 tackles in 2 games with no other stat recorded (no sacks, INTs, FF).

But, he was a LB in college and only moved over to DE in 2002, so you never know.
He did record a sack against Jacksonville though.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 AM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran

eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
He did record a sack against Jacksonville though.
whoops my bad I guess I didn't see that. Well I stand by everything I said except for that.
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He really has shocked how well he has done. He hasn't been perfect but he has looked really good in space and has been decent off the edge. He hasn't really shown many moves but he's going to be able to bull rush some guys and get some heat off the edge. He looked a little slimmer this week (could have just been me, has anyone read anything about him dropping weight?) and if not hopefully he starts and tries to get closer to 265. Anderson has been ok, Moses has been pretty bleh, is Roth can continue to progress it will really help the pass rush.

BTW, I really like the depth we have with the front 7, the back 4 have been ridiculously mediocre but we brought in a bunch of guys that have looked good. Holliday, Merling, Langford, Starks, Wright at end, Ferguson and Soliai at NT (he looks much better than he did last year), Channing, Ayodele and Torbor inside and Porter, Roth, Anderson and Moses outside. If we can add an elite edge guy next year (and hopefully Roth can develop into a starting SLB) I love the 3-4 we have.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
He really has shocked how well he has done. He hasn't been perfect but he has looked really good in space and has been decent off the edge. He hasn't really shown many moves but he's going to be able to bull rush some guys and get some heat off the edge. He looked a little slimmer this week (could have just been me, has anyone read anything about him dropping weight?) and if not hopefully he starts and tries to get closer to 265. Anderson has been ok, Moses has been pretty bleh, is Roth can continue to progress it will really help the pass rush.

BTW, I really like the depth we have with the front 7, the back 4 have been ridiculously mediocre but we brought in a bunch of guys that have looked good. Holliday, Merling, Langford, Starks, Wright at end, Ferguson and Soliai at NT (he looks much better than he did last year), Channing, Ayodele and Torbor inside and Porter, Roth, Anderson and Moses outside. If we can add an elite edge guy next year (and hopefully Roth can develop into a starting SLB) I love the 3-4 we have.
Guru,

Roth is a better fit as a rush LB than a 3-4 DE. To be honest, I was stunned that Saban decided to make him a lineman when he came out. While at Iowa, he was an edge rusher and I thought when he was drafted, he would still be an edge rusher. I think he will be a big liability in coverage, but he should help as a rusher from the OLB position...

Agreed that the DL has some ability now. Will hopefully be a strength this yr and beyond...
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Catch_23
Rookie

Catch_23 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I guess i could see him staring the year at SLB but in my opinion he is definatley not the long term solotion there, i think he'll be replaced by mid-season by one of those other guys. Then we will have to draft someone next year.
Catch_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can you say Defensive POY?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
Can you say Defensive POY?
You may have been being facetious, but that would be amazing!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:55 AM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does anyone remember how I had this transition pegged during the draft???? Damn I wish I could find those post on how I was roasted on even suggesting that Matt Roth would be an outside linebacker with this regime. There's certainly some crow to be had.
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Captain Fear
Rookie

Captain Fear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What about Cameron Wake? Any word on what position he will be competing for? He may be more of a situational pass rusher, but I imagine Roth is in that boat as well. I remember Wake was a beast at the combine, and he was an amazing pass rusher on the BC Lions. Should be interesting to see how his game translates into the NFL.
Captain Fear is offline   Reply With Quote