Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Henderson & Patten are both on one-year contracts too. If Jackson's there in the second, he'd be a great pick for Payton's offense.
I think Patten will retire after this year. He's a good safety valve but that's about it. He's running low on fuel in the tank. This is Henderson's make or break year.
With our other receivers, Lance Moore is a dawg. The dude will catch anything thrown to him but he's nothing more than a 4th WR. Copper is a 5th receiver at best. He's nothing special but we could do a lot better. Meachem should be the starter opposite Colston.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is this: I really wouldn't be mad at all if we traded down with Philly, picked up Lito Sheppard, and grabbed DeSean Jackson. In fact, I'd be pretty damn happy with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan912 View Post
My Perfect draft scenario:

1st - DRC or McKelvin - I know they are small school guys but we seem to have success with those types ie Colston and Evans.
2nd - Connor or Lofton - Vilma, Connor and Fujita or Morgan would be pretty nice. We haven't had linebackers like that since the Dome Patrol. They aren't near the Dome Patrol but still pretty damn good.
3rd - Dustin Keller TE - We need a pass catching TE.
5th - Any center. Godwin played well when Faine was out but we could def use some depth there.
6th, 7th - Best player available. Matt Flynn would be a nice backup for Drew.
I'd love to grab McKelvin and Conner in the 1st and 2nd rounds respectively. That'd be a dream for me.

Dustin Keller would be amazing to land but he won't get out of the 2nd round. Martellus Bennett or Brad Cottam in the 3rd would be nice. Hell a trade with the Jets for pick 102 and Dewayne Robertson would be my dream.

5th, 6th, and 7th we should go BPA. I'd like to get someone like QB Josh Johnson in the 5th to back up Brees. I think Matt Flynn would be a terrible choice as a backup. Hell Paul Smith would be nice.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:10 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we can work out a trade were we send #78 to the Jets for #102 and Dewayne Robertson, that would value Robertson to a early 4th (#98) which should be fair. So I'm all for it. Maybe have the Jets throw in a late round pick also?

When it comes to the possibility of a Shockey trade, I'm a little more hesitant. Especially if we would have to give up our 2nd round pick, were we can pick up a very good defensive player. A guy like Bennett in the middle rounds would be better I think :) But if we first work out a trade for Robertson, we won't have a pick in the 3rd were Bennett likely goes, so we would have to do some dealing to land him.

Another possibility would be to try and get Jermichael Finley in the 4th who I also really like :)

Edit: Looking at most mock drafts they have Sedrick Ellis going #9 to the Bengals. If he in fact falls that far on Draft Day I think we would just have to make a move to get him and there should be plenty of trading partners. If the Ravens stays put at #8 and Ryan is still on the board after the Jets pick they would probably want to trade down to #10 since neither New England, Cincinnati or we will take Ryan. New England is also an option (if Gholston and Long are off the board) since they seem to stockpile picks every year.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Last edited by Sveen : 04-20-2008 at 06:35 AM.
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveen View Post
If we can work out a trade were we send #78 to the Jets for #102 and Dewayne Robertson, that would value Robertson to a early 4th (#98) which should be fair. So I'm all for it. Maybe have the Jets throw in a late round pick also?

When it comes to the possibility of a Shockey trade, I'm a little more hesitant. Especially if we would have to give up our 2nd round pick, were we can pick up a very good defensive player. A guy like Bennett in the middle rounds would be better I think :) But if we first work out a trade for Robertson, we won't have a pick in the 3rd were Bennett likely goes, so we would have to do some dealing to land him.

Another possibility would be to try and get Jermichael Finley in the 4th who I also really like :)

Edit: Looking at most mock drafts they have Sedrick Ellis going #9 to the Bengals. If he in fact falls that far on Draft Day I think we would just have to make a move to get him and there should be plenty of trading partners. If the Ravens stays put at #8 and Ryan is still on the board after the Jets pick they would probably want to trade down to #10 since neither New England, Cincinnati or we will take Ryan. New England is also an option (if Gholston and Long are off the board) since they seem to stockpile picks every year.
I was thinking the same thing. And remember that NE also likes future picks so we might could get away with swapping firsts and giving them a pick next year. If Ellis is still on the board when NE picks, and that possibility is very high in my opinion, then I think we make a deal w/ the devil and move up.

I'd love to trade for Dewayne Robertson. Although he has a huge contract, I'm sure we could re-negotiate something. He also doesn't fit with the 3-4 and could be a NT in our system.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Robertson's contract is a deal-breaker. He have to agree to a new (and much cheaper) deal before we would finalize a trade for him.

Signature made by me

Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody read the Advocate today? Very good article on Robert Meachem and how he's maturing and trying to get help from Patten on how to be a WR.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/saints/17952059.html

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:53 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sounds promising. Let's hope it can translate to Sundays :)

Signature made by me

Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

This one really surprises me, and at first I didn't think it was true, but New Orleans is serious about trading into the top four -- preferably for LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey but not only for Dorsey. Wish I could tell you the other apple of their eye, but I don't know who he is.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ref=si_writers

---

If not for Ellis/Dorsey, could it be Gholston, or Chris Long?

Signature made by me

Old 04-21-2008, 03:18 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
This one really surprises me, and at first I didn't think it was true, but New Orleans is serious about trading into the top four -- preferably for LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey but not only for Dorsey. Wish I could tell you the other apple of their eye, but I don't know who he is.

---

I hope that we don't trade up that high. If we do trade up let's trade up to get S. Ellis.

In other news, I've been tossing around ideas for who the Saints could get and was wondering what you guys thought of this:

1. Keith Rivers, LB, USC
2. Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
3. Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M
5. Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee
6. Titus Brown, DE, Mississippi St.
7. D.J. Hall, WR, Alabama

Here's another thought. Trade down to #19 with Philadelphia in exchange for Lito Sheppard (not my ideal trade but one that would benefit us).

1. DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
2. Phillip Wheeler, OLB, Georgia Tech
7. Fernando Velasco, C, Georgia

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 04-21-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

---

Darren McFadden. Don't be surprised.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 PM    (permalink
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What if McKelvin, Rivers, and Ellis are gone, then who do you think the Saints will take?
catcher_0_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Maybe Ryan Clady?
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

In catcher_0_3's scenario I would think we would take Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie if we couldn't trade down.

Signature made by me

Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Darren McFadden. Don't be surprised.
are you just guessing?

payton is big on getting the best player available, so i would not put it outside the realm of possibility - especially after AP last year.
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxSaints View Post
are you just guessing?

payton is big on getting the best player available, so i would not put it outside the realm of possibility - especially after AP last year.
Yes, but I know that we always go BPA and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_0_3 View Post
What if McKelvin, Rivers, and Ellis are gone, then who do you think the Saints will take?
DRC.
Mike Jenkins.
Ryan Clady.
Darren McFadden (assuming he's there).
Rashard Mendenhall.

All viable options.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I hope that we don't trade up that high. If we do trade up let's trade up to get S. Ellis.

In other news, I've been tossing around ideas for who the Saints could get and was wondering what you guys thought of this:

1. Keith Rivers, LB, USC
2. Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
7. D.J. Hall, WR, Alabama

Here's another thought. Trade down to #19 with Philadelphia in exchange for Lito Sheppard (not my ideal trade but one that would benefit us).

1. DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
2. Phillip Wheeler, OLB, Georgia Tech
7. Fernando Velasco, C, Georgia

1 - Dorsey/Sedrick Ellis: DT, USC = one of them will fall
2 - Antoine Cason: CB, UA
3 - Andre Caldwell: WR, UF
5 - Eric Scott: C, Kentucky
6 - Matt Flynn: QB, LSU
7 - Ryan Torain: RB, Arizona St.

i would also like to see us trade J. David to a team that runs a cover 2 (bucs), we could pick up a pick and draft a solid corner or LB
Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

With the money we gave David, we can't afford to trade him. Not to mention our coaching staff thinks he can bounce back from last season.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:
Yes, but I know that we always go BPA and it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
i know for a fact that payton went to a few LSU games last year - his son is a big fan. i think he also went to the NC game. if we do trade up, which i dont think we will, i think it will be for dorsey. dont get me wrong, i would love to see either DMc or Dorsey, but i think the price will be too high. but then again who would have guessed meachem last year?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Oh, if we're able to trade up I have no doubt it's either for Dorsey or Ellis. I'm just saying if we trade up when both of them are off the board...

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

for DMc, i think Dal would be willing to give up more than we would.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

With the Draft just days away I thought I'd make a little scenario of what will happen concerning the Saints' first round pick. Feel free to comment on things I might have missed or if you agree/disagree with my arguments.

The first pick is an easy one since the Dolphins already have signed their guy.

Miami Dolphins select Jake Long, OT, Michigan

With the Rams on the clock there are a few possibilities with Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston or a trade-down as the most likely. I don't think we or anybody else will move all the way up to #2, and the Rams will be forced to make their pick. Their most glaring need is at defensive end, so I'm pretty confident with this pick.

St. Louis Rams select Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Now the Falcons is on on the clock and they have two likely options, Glenn Dorsey or Matt Ryan. The latest word out of Atlanta is that they might have turned their attention to Ryan. Maybe they don't like what they see throwing on their practice field? To be honest I'm going back and forth on this one, but right now I'd give the edge to Ryan.

Atlanta Falcons select Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

What to do with the Raiders? *Reading Al Davis' mind*
Vernon Gholston you say? So you are really passing on McFadden? Well, okay. As you wish.

Oakland Raiders select Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State

After trading Jared Allen the Chiefs now have two 1st round picks. They really need an offensive tackle, but do they take him here? It would be reach, but then again, the good ones might all be gone by the time the 17th pick comes around. Other options might be a guy to replace Jared Allen, but there is no one left that is worth the pick. This pick really is the wild card of the top 10, and I would not at all rule out a trade. With Matt Ryan already taken the teams looking for a signal caller are out. There are only one player I think teams might want to trade up for, and that is Glenn Dorsey. McFadden will still be one the clock for the Jets at #6, so they stand pat.

* TRADE ALERT: New Orleans get #5, and send #10, #41 and next years 3rd to Kansas City. *

The Saints make the move to get up and take Glenn Dorsey. The cost is swapping 1st round picks, this years 2nd round pick and next years 3rd which should be a reasonable deal for both sides. The Chiefs now can get their tackle at #10 which will most likely leave them choosing between everyone that was also on the board at #5 (maybe except for one if the Pats take a tackle at #7).

New Orleans Saints select Glenn Dorsey, DT, L.S.U.

All excited the Jets run their card up to the podium and the commissioner reads out to the eagerly awaiting Jets fans.

New York Jets select Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas.

That's how far into the Draft I'm gonna go given the fact that we already have made our pick. Feel free to comment :)

Signature made by me

Last edited by Sveen : 04-23-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I think that's a very logical mock but I still hate the idea of moving up that high and having to give up our 2nd round pick.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

I think it all depends on whether the Falcons take Dorsey at #3. I don't think we will trade up to #2, but if the Falcons take Matt Ryan I really believe the Saints would pretty much do what it takes to get up to #5 at get him. That's under the assumption that the Raiders take either Gholston or McFadden at #4 though. Who knows what Al Davis will do...

Signature made by me

Old 04-23-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
I think it all depends on whether the Falcons take Dorsey at #3. I don't think we will trade up to #2, but if the Falcons take Matt Ryan I really believe the Saints would pretty much do what it takes to get up to #5 at get him. That's under the assumption that the Raiders take either Gholston or McFadden at #4 though. Who knows what Al Davis will do...
I have a feeling that if Dorsey is on the board when the Falcons selection is up that they take him. They can get a QB like Brohm, Henne, or Flacco in the 2nd Rd. If an elite talent like Dorsey is available they take him.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I have a feeling that if Dorsey is on the board when the Falcons selection is up that they take him. They can get a QB like Brohm, Henne, or Flacco in the 2nd Rd. If an elite talent like Dorsey is available they take him.
i agree, but would that mean that we could trade up to #5 to get McFadden? We were talking a little about this last night. payton is big on getting the best available player, and i think many would have McFadden as the best player in the draft. if we could get best player in the draft at 5, i think we would have to do it, and go DT in the 2nd.... the fact that we signed two DB's, LB, etc, really opens up our possibilities.

the other side to that coin is that ellis would still be there too.

i just keep thinking back to last year when we got meachem. if you would have asked anybody what our deepest position was WR would have been in the top 3, yet we draft a WR in the first round.