Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I were the Falcons, I'd draft Glenn Dorsey and either hope Brian Brohm reaches my first 2nd round pick or trade up in the 1st to get him.

The Saints trading up for McFadden is overkill, lol. They could easily use that other pick or picks elsewhere ... and heck, if they wanted a stud RB, could have their choice of Stewart or Mendenhall at a cheaper price. Although I wouldn't do that either myself, I'd sooner draft an offensive tackle to help block for Bush and Brees than take a RB at #10.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
If I were the Falcons, I'd draft Glenn Dorsey and either hope Brian Brohm reaches my first 2nd round pick or trade up in the 1st to get him.

The Saints trading up for McFadden is overkill, lol. They could easily use that other pick or picks elsewhere ... and heck, if they wanted a stud RB, could have their choice of Stewart or Mendenhall at a cheaper price. Although I wouldn't do that either myself, I'd sooner draft an offensive tackle to help block for Bush and Brees than take a RB at #10.
i agree that it would be overkill, but taking meachem last year would be considered overkill too. that being said, i am mostly playing devils advocate, i dont think we will trade up unless dorsey slips past Atl.
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meachem wasn't/isn't overkill imo. Let's be real, the only receiving threat to fear for the Saints is Colston - and Bush out of the backfield or lined up somewhere, but that can be limited somewhat - and Colston has had some injury/back issues although he hasn't missed much time. Patten was a great addition for the team as a receiver to count on to run his routes well and catch the ball (which stands out compared to Devery Henderson). Tight end, there's no real threat to fear, although they help move the chains.

But with Colston and Meachem, the Saints could potentially one day have the best starting duo of receivers in the league (assuming what happens to Boldin in Arizona). They could force opposing defenses to play their safeties deep to avoid the big play, which can help open up the run game, and give Brees two big targets to find in the passing game. Colston isn't the best deep threat, but Meachem can fulfill that role with his speed.

And really, the Saints need their offense to score, to help their opportunistic defense create turnovers.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:
Meachem wasn't/isn't overkill imo. Let's be real, the only receiving threat to fear for the Saints is Colston - and Bush out of the backfield or lined up somewhere, but that can be limited somewhat - and Colston has had some injury/back issues although he hasn't missed much time. Patten was a great addition for the team as a receiver to count on to run his routes well and catch the ball (which stands out compared to Devery Henderson). Tight end, there's no real threat to fear, although they help move the chains.

But with Colston and Meachem, the Saints could potentially one day have the best starting duo of receivers in the league (assuming what happens to Boldin in Arizona). They could force opposing defenses to play their safeties deep to avoid the big play, which can help open up the run game, and give Brees two big targets to find in the passing game. Colston isn't the best deep threat, but Meachem can fulfill that role with his speed.

And really, the Saints need their offense to score, to help their opportunistic defense create turnovers.
i couldnt disagree more. look at their situation going into last years draft. they had the number one passing offense, with their QB and OL returning. their WR's were Colston, Moore, Patten, Henderson, and Copper. they had signed Eric Johnson in the offseason and had reggie coming off a great year receiving. it is unfair to judge how these players worked out, just look at the facts when they were drafting last year.

the fact that you would call meachem and colston one of the best starting duos in the league is ludicrous. while colston is a stud, meachem could never get off the practice squad. had he not been a first round pick he would have be cut long ago. you also said we needed meachem to stretch opposing defenses, but he is not faster than Henderson or Moore. in fact, he runs route worse than patten, moore, and copper. he is slower than moore and henderson, and he doesnt hustle 1/10 of what copper does.

add to that the fact that F "toast" thomas was burned several times in NO final game the previous year. they were in desperate need of CB's, LB's, and DT's, yet they still chose to select a WR. i agree that they need their offense to score, but i dont think the solution to a bad defense is more offense.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Stoopid512

Trade up for Ellis if Dorsey is gone early (top 5). Otherwise sit back and hope that Ellis falls to us, or pick Keith Rivers. Find a CB in the 2nd.

I want Ellis though.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Stoopid512

I would hate to see the Saints trade into the Top 5 because that means that we're going to have to shell out a lot of cash on a player that hasn't even played yet (I'm a supporter of the rookie cap). I'd rather them stick where they are at and take the best DEFENSIVE player available (except DE), or trade down.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Saints dangling Brown, hoping to move up for Dorsey

The New Orleans Saints are trying hard to move up in Saturday's draft for a shot to draft defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey of LSU, and one of the pieces they are shopping in a trade is left tackle Jammal Brown, according to a league source.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10797100/rss

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveen View Post
The New Orleans Saints are trying hard to move up in Saturday's draft for a shot to draft defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey of LSU, and one of the pieces they are shopping in a trade is left tackle Jammal Brown, according to a league source.

Yeah, I'm buying that.

Not.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea that is a terrible rumor that makes no sense. Gotta love how the media likes to stir up ********.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

Quote:

no way in hell we give up brown
Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really hope the Saints grab Glenn Dorsey in trading up because I would hate to see him go to the Raiders or Falcons. :/

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:

I would hope not.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:29 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Giving up Jammal Brown would be a big mistake, but I have some good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoworld
Apparently the Rams aren't serious about pursuing New Orleans' offer of Jammal Brown, assuming it's true. Clayton says St. Louis doesn't want to move all the way to No. 10. The Saints now are expected to turn their efforts to Sedrick Ellis, which could lead to a deal with Baltimore or New England.

Signature made by me

Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Giving up Jammal Brown would be a big mistake, but I have some good news.
Thank God. Although I wouldn't necessarily rule out a deal being worked out with the Chiefs. Personally, I thought Jammal Brown was a better RT than LT. If we did trade Brown it'd probably be for the 5th pick straight up, which would put us in position to draft both Ellis and Rivers or Ellis and Ryan Clady. or Ellis and McKelvin.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm ready to stab this franchise in the face.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 04-25-2008, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Well that wouldn't be good ... :)

The Saints are going to get a good player where they are. Have faith in them, passing on Chris Houston last year was definitely the right move (he has complete bust written all over him). Granted, David Harris or Paul Poz would have been good, but you can always find linebackers and Meachem presented as BPA. So it's not the end of the world if they don't get a DT or Keith Rivers, although I think trading up for Sed Ellis would be a good move (depending on what they give up). Yeah, taking a def tackle in the 1st round is risky because of the bust rate we've seen from the last few years, coupled with the bust rate from Southern Cal we've also seen ... but Ellis looks legit and is a perfect fit for the Saints as he'll play NT.

But if it doesn't happen, the Saints could just as easily take a def tackle in the 2nd round (say Balmer or Laws) or afterwards.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Well that wouldn't be good ... :)

The Saints are going to get a good player where they are. Have faith in them, passing on Chris Houston last year was definitely the right move (he has complete bust written all over him).
Going to have to disagree with you there. Time will tell.

But agree with most of the rest. Especially that the Saints can get a perfectly good DT in the 2nd. If I were they, I'd be particularly interested in Laws.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

No trade-up:

Rivers & Laws or another DT.

Trade-up:

Ellis & a CB or LB.

IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

WHY MUST THIS TEAM TORTURE ME SO?!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Tomorrow shall be a good day. You'll see ;)

Signature made by me

Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

I pray you're right, Sveen!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:06 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Tomorrow shall be a good day. You'll see ;)
I still think we should just sit tight and make our pick at #10. I dont really want to give up any picks to move up. We need the picks we have bigger needs. IMO

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you guys don't trade up and sit at 10 looks like that Ellis and Dorsey and probably Keith Rivers will all be gone, but Mike Jenkins- who is probably the most NFL ready corner in this draft right now- would not be a bad consolation prize. That's who it sounds like you guys will take if such a scenario arises, good luck tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Michael Smith was on ESPN recently and was talking about the Saints checking out the top corner prospects, I think he said they really liked Leodis McKelvin and could take him at #10. It wouldn't be a bad pick, McKelvn is the #1 corner imo (Jenkins is my #2 though, I like him too).
Old 04-25-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Michael Smith was on ESPN recently and was talking about the Saints checking out the top corner prospects, I think he said they really liked Leodis McKelvin and could take him at #10. It wouldn't be a bad pick, McKelvn is the #1 corner imo (Jenkins is my #2 though, I like him too).
I like McKelvin best out of the CB prospects and it looks like the Saints franchise agrees. I just hope they don't do something completely moronic tomorrow.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
10. Saints — Troy cornerback Leodis McKelvin. Saints are trying to trade up for either Dorsey or Ellis but if they stay, McKelvin should be their guy. Late this week head coach Sean Payton took WRs David Patten and Devery Henderson, quarterback Tyler Palko, a corner and a few coaches and put McKelvin and two other corners through intense personal workouts. McKelvin emerged as the best and most ready for prime time of the bunch. Still, I think the Saints somehow work a trade to move up for a DT.
Very interesting.