Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no idea. Why not use the pick to get Ben Patrick or Ryan McBean?

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's just... a strange and odd pick when we have other needs available. Granted, some could say he was the BPA but... urm.. yeah.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing I can think of is Pittman is going to be groom to be Deuce's replacement if we ever have to trade or release him. Only thing that makes sense to me.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 04-29-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

GeauxSaints hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Saints traded a fourth round pick (#123) and a fifth round pick (#163) in exchange for the 107th selection.

gave up a lot to get him
GeauxSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

... and I don't like it. Why not Patrick, Blades, McBride or DeOssie?

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah very questionable selection with Pittman, I don't understand it much at all.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

siler or patrick with 125
Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sadly it didn't happen. Jermon Bushrod, OT, Towson is the pick.

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jermon Bushrod, OT Townson.

Prospect Profile
Quote:
After the success the New Orleans Saints had in unearthing Jahri Evans (Indiana, Pa.) to play on their playoff-bound offensive line in 2006, professional scouts are in agreement that Bushrod could have the same success as Evans at the next level.

The four-year starter has explosive quickness off the snap and the long reach to keep defenders at bay. He developed into an efficient trap blocker and his quickness could see him shift from left tackle to the right side, or possibly to guard, to take advantage of his pulling skills.
Looks like the team feels Offensive line depth is a huge need right now. My best guess for the Pittman pick is that they are looking for a replacement for Stecker, and possibly a special teams/kick returner contributor.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

i like Towson... maybe siler or patrick with 145
Old 04-29-2007, 12:03 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

i would have never thought that crosby would have fallen this far. had we not gotten mare i would have said ge would have been a good pick. also, alexander from Ok
Old 04-29-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

I'm praying for Rufus Alexander. Please, please, please.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

siler, patrick, and alexander all still avaiable
Old 04-29-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxSaints View Post
i like Towson... maybe siler or patrick with 145
Well at least he has an awesome name.. I can't wait to get a Bushrod jersey. :D

seriously he was a very coveted O-line prospect in the middle rounds, he has good footwork. I can't fault the team for building the Offensive line, you can never have enough solid O-linemen. I just don't know if it should be at the expense of neglecting the Defense.

I really hope we can atleast come away with a project LB or DT prospect by the end of the draft.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:17 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

i think brees hurting his elbow, may have factored into us going after some of these lineman
Old 04-29-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

David Jones? Another CB. What is happening here. There are a lot of good LB's left and we are passing on them again and again.

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

David Jones
CB | (5'11", 190, 4.49)

i cant believe no LB's
Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

maybe at 220
Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

David Jones, CB Wingate.

David Jones - Profile
Quote:
One of the top cover cornerbacks in the small college ranks, Jones added to his resume as a senior when he started taking snaps on offense with the receiving unit. Known for his natural hands, he was a great playmaker for the Bulldogs.In 40 games at Wingate, he intercepted 15 passes, returning three for touchdowns, and deflected 28 other throws. Both of his receptions in 2006 were turned into touchdowns.

Playing both sides of the ball is nothing new to Jones. At Greenville High School, he was an all-area defensive back who also competed as a receiver. He also handled return duties and picked off 10 passes during his prep career.
Sounds like a ballhawking CB. If the coaching staff can develop him he could be a bigtime playmaker at Corner.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sean Payton is coming on NFL Network in just a bit

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
GeauxSaints
Rookie

they sound good, but we may be going a bit overboard on the small school selections
Old 04-29-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveen View Post
Sean Payton is coming on NFL Network in just a bit
Could you summarize it for those without access to NFLN?

Old 04-29-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

He basically just joked around with Jesse Palmer about him being on The Bachelor (?) or something and talked a little about Robert Meachem, Antonio Pittman and the upcoming 7th round pick. The NFLN guys told him the pressure is on to find another Marques Colston :)

Signature made by me

Old 04-29-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Could you summarize it for those without access to NFLN?
Talked about Meachem.. loves what he brings to the table speed, and athleticism.

Joke with Jesse Palmer, Palmer questioned the draft picks Payton said instead watching highlight reels he should evaluate talent.

Said the are starting over with everything, you have to approach the new season that way, you have to work hard. The players can't wait for mini camps.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well as the long (and I do mean, LONG) NFL Draft is coming to a close, I would like to check in and reflect on our selections so far... I'll probably give more write-ups later after all my school stuff is finished. I've only got one week left, but it's going to be hellacious.

But I digress.

Day One:

First round (at 27): Robert Meachem, wide receiver, University of Tennessee
My selection: Chris Houston, cornerback, University of Arkansas
Saints forum selection: Chris Houston, cornerback, University of Arkansas

I really didn't think like this pick initally at all. I felt that the Saints could have selected CB Chris Houston (the fans' and my choice for this pick), TE Greg Olsen or LB Paul Posluszny with this selection. The good side of this pick is we now have a down-field threat to pair with WR Marques Colston. This might be the end of Devery Henderson in the Big Easy, but if not, we have a solid corps of receivers with Colston, now Meachem, Henderson and both Terrence Copper and David Patten. Quite a set of wide outs, no doubt, but in the end, if Posluszny becomes a break-out star and Meachem goes the way of ANOTHER UT receiver *coughDonte'Stallworthcough*, we might have gotten burned here. All in all, solid selection, but not who I wanted.

Second round (at 54): traded to Detroit for third and fifth round selections
My selection: Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, Ohio State University
Saints forum selection: Quinn Pitcock, defensive tackle, Ohio State University

Not sold on the trade, especially with big name talent still left on the board.

But what do I know?

Third round [from Detroit] (at 66): Usama Young, cornerback, Kent State University
(note: since this selection was acquired by trade, I'll post my and the forum's selection with our second third rounder...)

I really don't know enough about this guy. However, even with the Jason David signing, I wasn't sold on all our secondary needs being over. The Saints still needed some help, and I feel that Young could be the ticket. Of course, if the Saints would have chosen Houston in the first, this wouldn't be the pick here. Young seems to be a decent pickup, and it does help add depth to a shaky position.

(yeah, I know, it’s not him, but how could I resist…?)
Third round (at 88) : Andy Alleman, offensive guard, University of Akron
My selection: H.B. Blades, linebacker, University of Pittsburgh
Saints forum selection: H.B. Blades, linebacker, University of Pittsburgh

Now, here’s someone that I really like. I think that Alleman has the potential to be a solid starter for the Saints. We would probably slide Jahri Evans from the right to the left side to pair him with Pro Bowler Jammal Brown and slot Alleman on the right side with Jon Stinchcomb. Unfortunately, this might be the end of Jamar Nesbit in the Black and Gold, either now or at the end of the season, but I think Alleman can step in and succeed at the pro level.

Whew!

I think I’ll go back to my TV and take a break from typing… I’ll put more on the Day Two selections and my overall post-Draft grade later today!

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote