Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results:
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Of the 7 WR's currently on our roster, 4 were UDFA's. Nick Toon was a 4th rounder, Stills a5th rounder and Colston a 7th rounder. We find talent late and undrafted as far as WR goes. If we dont draft a WR until the 4th, I don't think it will put us behind the eight ball.
In 2 years Stills could well be the only WR we have currently thats still on the roster. Toon is a bust. Colston is declining and getting hella expensive and Morgan i actually like but who know how he will come back. Either way, banking on us to strike gold again feels a bit odd in that situation.

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well then, maybe we can pick Bruce Ellington in the 4th. I'm just saying, we do well picking WR's late or finding good UDFA's, so if we don't draft one early, I won't be sweating it.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:24 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well then, maybe we can pick Bruce Ellington in the 4th. I'm just saying, we do well picking WR's late or finding good UDFA's, so if we don't draft one early, I won't be sweating it.
I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part that we have other needs and we can find WRs in the later rounds but I also think that it's time that we draft a big time receiver. We need a Megatron, Josh Gordon, Larry Fitzgerald, etc, etc type of receiver and those are usually hard to come by outside of the first round. Colston and Stills are our only to viable WRs right now and they aren't game breaking players right now. I see us going CB,OL,or LB in the first round but I don't see why the Saints shouldn't be looking for Matthews or Landry in the second. The WR position isn't going to kill us if the season were to start today but with the lack of options at the position it becomes Graham and then everyone else.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Naga114
Rookie

Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Naga114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe in Andy "Practice Squad" Tanner
Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NOLAFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga114 View Post
I believe in Andy "Practice Squad" Tanner
He and Toon could get cut and I wouldn't care. Both are training camp and preseason stars.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAFan View Post
I get what you're saying and I agree for the most part that we have other needs and we can find WRs in the later rounds but I also think that it's time that we draft a big time receiver. We need a Megatron, Josh Gordon, Larry Fitzgerald, etc, etc type of receiver and those are usually hard to come by outside of the first round. Colston and Stills are our only to viable WRs right now and they aren't game breaking players right now. I see us going CB,OL,or LB in the first round but I don't see why the Saints shouldn't be looking for Matthews or Landry in the second. The WR position isn't going to kill us if the season were to start today but with the lack of options at the position it becomes Graham and then everyone else.
There is no Calvin, Gordon, or Fitz, especially at our pick. What we need is a person who can cover TE's and RB's and allow our safeties to roam. For the 49ers, they hardly ever come out of their base D because Willis and Bowman can cover like crazy. Sticking Shazier and his 4.4 40 time on our D would open up endless possibilities.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
There is no Calvin, Gordon, or Fitz, especially at our pick. What we need is a person who can cover TE's and RB's and allow our safeties to roam. For the 49ers, they hardly ever come out of their base D because Willis and Bowman can cover like crazy. Sticking Shazier and his 4.4 40 time on our D would open up endless possibilities.
i think there can be great receivers found late first and even late second this cycle. Not saying well find a Calvin but adding a Damariyus Thomas calibre player would still help the team greatly. I get your point with Shazier but we have Vaccaro for that. Hell cover with Byrd playing deep field. Given how the team is constructed now were gonna see a ton of cover 1 it appears and shazier wouldnt have much of a role there

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm participating in a huge mock on twitter, #Mock1v2 if you want to check it out.

Through two rounds these are my moves and picks:

*Traded with Philly - Saints receive #22 & #122 (4th), Eagles receive #27 & 91 (3rd)
*Traded with Chicago - Saints receive #156 (5th), Bears receive #169 (5th) & DT Brodrick Bunkley
*Traded with Chicago - Saints receive #191 (6th), #195 (6th), 2015 6th. Bears receive RB Mark Ingam

Draft picks
1.22 - Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
2.58 - Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
4.122 - De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
4.126 - Nevin Lawson, DB, Utah St.
5.156 - Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State
5.167 - Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford
6.191 - Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama
6.195 - Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane
6.202 - Dontae Johnson, DB, North Carolina State

1.22 Explanation - Barr was one of the highest rated players on my board and having him fall to 22 was something we hadn't planned on. We made what we considered a very fair deal with Philadelphia by just swapping a 3rd for a 4th round pick to jump in front of Kansas City and draft someone we feel can be an impact pass rusher from day one.

2.58 - Our big board was slowly but surely picked apart heading into the pick. One we were on the clock our four top players were Bryant, Jarvis Landry, Jaylen Watkins, and Bashaud Breeland. Two of my assistant GM's banged the table for Bryant, one was leaning Landry, and I was leaning Breeland. Bryant's potential swung me over and with there being a 3-1 majority, Bryant was the pick. He's a huge receiver with great speed but needs refinement.

4.122 - My war room was chomping at the bit for Dri Archer but then was drafted over ten picks ahead of us. We felt that DAT was a great consolation prize. We feel that he would instantly upgrade the return game while serving time as a shifty, slot receiver and scat back.

4.126 - There were several players we were targeting with this pick but in the end I made the decision to go with Lawson who I feel is a very combative, feisty DB. He's a bit short (5'9") but has numerous passes defensed on his collegiate record and should contribute immediately on special teams while serving as a dime or even nickel (slot) defender.

5.156 - We were contemplating offensive line or running back and in the end felt that value superseded potential need. Freeman and Terrance West were our two highest rated and I liked Freeman's value as a pass blocker and his experience as a pass catcher and that ultimately nudged him forward. Freeman is a squat, sturdy, powerful back that would be tremendous insurance for Ingram or PT should either go down and could see a higher workload next year if the team chooses to not re-sign Ingram.

5.167 - My war room had been mentioning Fleming for the past two picks so we were quite pleased to be able to draft him with our last pick in the fifth round. He's a very intelligent, savvy tackle that could project inside. The Saints current lack of depth along the OL is addressed and a possible future replacement for Grubbs or Evans is found here as he'll be able to learn from two Pro Bowl guards.

6.191 - Hubbard has extensive potential due to his physical traits and coming to New Orleans to be coached up by Rob Ryan and learning behind Jordan, Gallette, Butler, and Barr should help him reach that potential. He was too much value to pass up this late into the draft and it could be a pick that paid dividends. Trading Ingram for three 6ths was tough but after drafting Devonte Freeman and De'Anthony Thomas it made the decision a little easier since we still have 5 RBs on the roster. Let Chicago deal with re-signing Ingram while the Saints will be able to get the two rookies on rookie contracts for several years.

6.195 - This was about value meeting additional need. Grant is familiar with Payton's system having played under former Saints assistant Curtis Johnson and also possesses what the Saints look for in a receiver - hard working, reliable, good hands, and route running. Grant just does receiver things well and should compete for a position from day one.

6.202 - Johnson has good upside and is versatile enough to play safety and cornerback. At 6'2", 200lbs he has good size for both positions.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 04-15-2014 at 11:23 PM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Awesome pick up of Barr. Having really taken a hard look at some things as I set up the roster for our forum mock, I realized, we really need an DE/OLB more than anything. With Champ now with us for two years, WR can be our 2nd round pick and then C or CB.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:07 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Awesome pick up of Barr. Having really taken a hard look at some things as I set up the roster for our forum mock, I realized, we really need an DE/OLB more than anything. With Champ now with us for two years, WR can be our 2nd round pick and then C or CB.
disagree here so much, dont know what the hell we'd do with barr at this point, he isnt going to outplay Galette and wont see the field in the nickel either. Getting barr used to play in coverage enough to play in the 3-4 base D opposite JG will also take a lot of time.

Basically with the guys we also have developing i dont only consider pass rushr not a need, i consider it a waste of a draft pick. That being said if we stay put and can get barr id be tempted by the value, but pass rusher by itself is just flat out not a need in my opinion.

hell, in the nickel, were your pass rushers should earn their money we already have 2 of the top 6 sack producers in the entire NFL on the roster so messing with that is (imho) a waste of a high draft pick

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

doing a mock as well by the way. currently have

1 Kyle Fuller
2 Donte Moncrief
3 Weston Richburg
4 Trevor Reilly

ill update when i get more picks done

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
doing a mock as well by the way. currently have

1 Kyle Fuller
2 Donte Moncrief
3 Weston Richburg
4 Trevor Reilly

ill update when i get more picks done
I'd be very happy with that draft too

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If all honesty I want to trade down in the first, grab another 2/3. I would love it and in the 2nd grab Martavis Bryant. I am more seeing him and liking him.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

as much as i think were in need of a wideout im scared shitless we might pick kelvin Benjamin, dont know how that guy is regarded as a first round prospect

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
as much as i think were in need of a wideout im scared shitless we might pick kelvin Benjamin, dont know how that guy is regarded as a first round prospect
Yeah I don't get it either.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

I don't understand how people are excited about Odell Beckham Jr either. Dude had 7 TD's last year, 3 against UAB, 2 against Mississippi State and Furman, and 1 against Kent State.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
I don't understand how people are excited about Odell Beckham Jr either. Dude had 7 TD's last year, 3 against UAB, 2 against Mississippi State and Furman, and 1 against Kent State.
Because he's the kind of guy we "need" at WR but Jarvis is better to me and i'd rather Jarvis.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
Because he's the kind of guy we "need" at WR but Jarvis is better to me and i'd rather Jarvis.
We need another sub 6 footer thats fast? Why not go after Martavis in the 2nd who had just as good a year (2 td's versus Ohio State in bowl game) and gives us yet another huge target along with Colston and Graham?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 PM    (permalink
NOLAFan
Rookie

Everyone is high on Beckham because of his potential to essentially be a Desean Jackson-esque receiver without the attitude. I agree with Bert though, I'd rather have Landry.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone is high on Beckham because he played for LSU.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
Everyone is high on Beckham because he played for LSU.
Wrong. No one was high on Jordan Jefferson. Stop acting like that.
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
or jarrett lee (or whatever the first name was of that pick-six specialist)

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I'm all in on ODB. The Saints haven't had a receiver with his potential in a long time. I don't care if he's 5'11", he's a special talent that would help stretch the field and offers ST potential, which is something the team needs.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Totally similar situation.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Justin Gilbert in NOLA visiting right now.