Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 03-11-2007, 10:33 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well...Donte Stallworth signed with the Patriots this morning (something like 6 years for $30+ million). While I wasn't crazy about the prospect of the Titans signing Stallworth, it was clear that the Titans needed to address at least two of their needs in FA (between DE starter, DT starter, S starter, CB starter, WR starter, RB depth, & MLB depth).

They still haven't addressed ANY of those positions.

Now, it seems that the Titans will have to overpay for Kevin Curtis or settle for a lesser players...
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm just curious if Antwan Odom is being completely written off. I was under the impression he was still under contract, and if so, talent wise, he's arguably as good as what was on the market this year.

There's still DT talent out there capable of coming in a being a starter for a couple years, so I wouldn't worry too much.

MLB depth can still be found, as can RB depth. S starter can come later in the draft. Even if you sign Kevin Curtis, I still think another WR is needed. CB starter is definitely a draft concern, although Finnegan looked nice last year. I think CB/WR will be at the top of the lists in the first 2 rounds for you guys, depending on the boards, of course.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I'm just curious if Antwan Odom is being completely written off. I was under the impression he was still under contract, and if so, talent wise, he's arguably as good as what was on the market this year.

There's still DT talent out there capable of coming in a being a starter for a couple years, so I wouldn't worry too much.

MLB depth can still be found, as can RB depth. S starter can come later in the draft. Even if you sign Kevin Curtis, I still think another WR is needed. CB starter is definitely a draft concern, although Finnegan looked nice last year. I think CB/WR will be at the top of the lists in the first 2 rounds for you guys, depending on the boards, of course.
Odom has some talent; but he's never shown the consistency needed to be a legit starting DE in the NFL, in my opinion. Realistically, I think he's a rotation/backup player...

CB is a HUGE need--given Pacman's troubles and Reynaldo's inability as a starter. Finnegan was great last year, but he should stay in his nickel role and not have to worry about maybe being a starter. CB is one of the hardest positions for players to adjust to from college to the pros. That's why I'm REALLY hoping that they bring in at least one vet (someone who has already experienced the learning curb) who can help in the secondary.

While WR is a need, personally, I think it's more-and-more likely that they address it in the mid-rounds, choosing instead to address DE & CB in the first two rounds. Of course, if we sign CB Nick Harper (which we probably won't), then WR might be addressed earlier in the draft.

The point is that the Titans have LOTS of needs; and, despite their huge cap room, they haven't addressed a single one in FA (in fact, they appear to be sort of half-hearted in their attempts this offseason). Hopefully, they'll sign a couple of players soon, have a great draft, and maybe add a couple of June 1st cuts...

Last edited by MicktheGreat : 03-11-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After years of cap issues, showing some financial discipline isn't bad. This team isn't looking short term, it's looking long term, as Vince Young is going to go through a lot more ups and downs.

Here's the issue I have with drafting WR later, and not the first two rounds. You've done that with a lot of guys (Jones, Orr, Williams, Roby), and while there always exists the potential that you will finally hit gold, you'd ideally like to provide a weapon for Vince Young who has higher upside. Givens is hurt as well, and Bennett is gone, with the TE play being inconsistent. That's not a lot of help, especially when you factor in Lendale White taking over at RB.

I don't think Odom is anything special, but I think he's about as good as the guys on the market.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
After years of cap issues, showing some financial discipline isn't bad. This team isn't looking short term, it's looking long term, as Vince Young is going to go through a lot more ups and downs.

Here's the issue I have with drafting WR later, and not the first two rounds. You've done that with a lot of guys (Jones, Orr, Williams, Roby), and while there always exists the potential that you will finally hit gold, you'd ideally like to provide a weapon for Vince Young who has higher upside. Givens is hurt as well, and Bennett is gone, with the TE play being inconsistent. That's not a lot of help, especially when you factor in Lendale White taking over at RB.

I don't think Odom is anything special, but I think he's about as good as the guys on the market.
I agree that the Titans do NOT want to get in the cap hell that they were in for a couple of seasons. But, again, they haven't brought in ANYBODY. There's a fine line between being frugal with your money and being stingy--right now, I'm worried that the Titans may be protecting their pockets a little too miserly.

As far as drafting a WR in the mid-rounds, this draft is much deeper at the WR position than the Jones/Roby/Williams draft a few years ago. Plus, the reason we took 3 WRs that year is because ex-GM Floyd Reese had a draft-strategy in which he would invest several picks in 1-2 positions (i.e. he did the same thing with DEs...LaBoy/Odom/Schobel). I could definitely see a decent WR with upside being available in the 3rd round this year. Hopefully, however, the Titans will sign a vet CB--which would make all of this moot and allow them to draft a WR in either round 1 or 2.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Chow gets his way, WR will be addressed early. I wouldn't mind getting one in round 1 to be honest if the value is there.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
If Chow gets his way, WR will be addressed early. I wouldn't mind getting one in round 1 to be honest if the value is there.
meachem, i want him so badly
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My 2 favorites that could be available at our pick are Bowe and Meachem, but I also like Ginn as well.

I think we will go after a WR in one of the first two rounds. I mean, Chow publicly said that we need 2 more WR's...and we didn't re-sign either Bennett or Wade. I've been thinking about this alot recently. The way I see it is, and I've said this is another thread earlier in this forum, that this teams long term future is brighter than the short term. So with that said, I'm thinking we may need to get a top flight WR to let VY grow with while he develops as a passer.

The biggest weakness on the team is defense, but I'd argue that the most important is Vince's development, and I think we need to do everything we can to get some playmakers with him. I'm kind of torn on it...I wouldn't mind if we went DL, CB, or WR early to be honest.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Bobertchin
Veteran

Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Bobertchin wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I'm not big on Ginn in our offense, though Young can hurl the ball, and Ginn would certainly be able to run over it. I suppose he would be good for loosening the defense. But I honestly prefer Meachem, who is almost as fast but bigger. He's not very physical though, so if we draft Bowe instead, who is a beast, I wouldn't be upset. In fact, his blocking would help us beyond his WR stats. He could be another Hines Ward type.
Bobertchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:04 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobertchin View Post
I'm not big on Ginn in our offense, though Young can hurl the ball, and Ginn would certainly be able to run over it. I suppose he would be good for loosening the defense. But I honestly prefer Meachem, who is almost as fast but bigger. He's not very physical though, so if we draft Bowe instead, who is a beast, I wouldn't be upset. In fact, his blocking would help us beyond his WR stats. He could be another Hines Ward type.
my wish list for reciever goes
meachem
bowe
ginn
jarrett
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Bigbluegiant

hey guys, i was looking around nfl.com at the afc unrestricted free agents, i saw some names that i havent heard anything about sence the start of the free agency just wanted to know if u guys had heard anything about them or if they are even still free agents. Mike Doss, Cato June, and Troy Brown. they are all great players, does any one know anything about about them.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluegiant View Post
hey guys, i was looking around nfl.com at the afc unrestricted free agents, i saw some names that i havent heard anything about sence the start of the free agency just wanted to know if u guys had heard anything about them or if they are even still free agents. Mike Doss, Cato June, and Troy Brown. they are all great players, does any one know anything about about them.
I haven't heard anything about Doss or June. I'm not THAT surprised with Doss because he's been pretty injury-prone. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more news about June though--he's pretty fast and a decent tackler.

I think most people are expecting Troy Brown to retire.

Also...we signed RFA LB Ryan Fowler to an offer sheet. The Cowboys have time to match the offer. And since Fowler was an undrafted FA, the Titans don't have to give up any draft picks if they sign him. If we get him, he's expected to compete with Tulloch for the MLB spot. Anybody know anything about him as a player???
Old 03-12-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Gotitansfreak10

i know he's damn well attractive
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

just read on si.com that according to peter king, philly signed ryan fowler to a better offer sheet, not sure how up to date that is though considering he still had kelly washington as a free agent.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mqb/index.html

Its somewhere in there.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
just read on si.com that according to peter king, philly signed ryan fowler to a better offer sheet, not sure how up to date that is though considering he still had kelly washington as a free agent.
The article I read said that Fowler changed his mind at the last second and decided to sign with the Titans. Apparently, the Eagles & the Titans offered essentially the exact same deal; but Fowler just preferred the Titans...

Here's a link:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../70312050/1027
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

hey he picked us over the eagles, i like this guy a little bit more already
Old 03-13-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mike Doss, as said before, is injury prone and is a back-up on a good defense.
Cato June is a Cover 2 linebacker who was a poor tackler last season.
Troy Brown is really old for someone at his position.

As for Ryan Fowler, I believe us and Philly gave him an offer sheet of the same contract(probably vet minimum). He chose Philly, so the Titans offered him a higher offer, so he changed his mind and chose us.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Forzy

NFL.com says Julius Jones is on the trade block. I would very much like him at the Titans to form a combo with LenDale, what would it take to get him?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to have Jones, but it all depends on what the Cowboys want in return.

Also...

Titans | Curtis planning to meet with team
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:46:10 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports free agent WR Kevin Curtis (Rams) is planning to meet with the Tennessee Titans.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
I would love to have Jones, but it all depends on what the Cowboys want in return.

Also...

Titans | Curtis planning to meet with team
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:46:10 -0800

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports free agent WR Kevin Curtis (Rams) is planning to meet with the Tennessee Titans.
Yeah...apparently both Kevin Curtis and Justin Gage visited with the Titans.

I'm kinda mixed on both those guys. Curtis would definitely give the Titans the speed element that they're currently lacking; however, he'll probably be pretty expensive to sign. But, of course, we definitely have the money to spend on him--it's just a question of whether or not he's worth it (or if he'll become another over-priced, under-performing vet WR that the Titans bring in...see David Givens, Yancey Thigpen, Carl Pickens, etc. etc.).

Gage has good size; however, he never really established himself in Chicago, despite the fact that he was given many chances to be their #2 WR. It's hard to tell whether his under-performance is due to poor QB play in Chicago or just a lack of talent on Gage's part. I don't know...

And I'm completely against trading for Julius Jones. In my opinion, we drafted LenDale last season to be our RB of the future and we should give him the chance to prove that he can do it. I'd rather keep the high-round pick that he'd cost (and use it on other, more pressing team needs), sign a veteran backup RB, and use a mid-to-late pick on a complimentary RB to LenDale (maybe a smaller, pass-catching RB who can play on 3rd down).

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by MicktheGreat : 03-13-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Nick Harper agrees to terms.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS01/70313070

Hey, nothing spectacular, but not bad either. Hopefully it's not too much money...which I don't think it will be based on Fisher and Reinfeldt's comments the past week or so. At the very least it lessens the chance of Andre Woolfolk getting on the field! LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
PacMan_32

Harper is a big upgrade to Hill so I will easily take it.

If we get curtis then this Offseason has been pretty good.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Nick Harper agrees to terms.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....RTS01/70313070

Hey, nothing spectacular, but not bad either. Hopefully it's not too much money...which I don't think it will be based on Fisher and Reinfeldt's comments the past week or so. At the very least it lessens the chance of Andre Woolfolk getting on the field! LOL
I've been a critic of the Titans' offseason thus far; but I really like this deal.

Harper's a serviceable (albeit unspectacular) #1 CB and should be a very solid #2 CB. If Pacman plays this season, then this combo should be pretty good. Also, it means we can wait until the mid-rounds to draft a CB--probably one with raw-technique but good-potential that we can "coach-up" for a couple of seasons.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

DeAndre Jackson maybe...Was considered a 1st round pick prior to the season (I had him as my favorite corner coming into the season). Wasn't playing all that great to start the year, then tore his ACL, and his stock has dropped quite a bit. He has good size and athleticism.