Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
My dream draft right now.

1. Pettigrew
2. Chung
3. Sidbury
4. Baker
Is that Chris Baker?

This one is pretty nice too. Not sure about Chung being there at our #2 pick. Or about us taking two guys with character concerns in the same draft. Thats not saying i dont like it- just that it may not be realistic depending on the emphasis the FO puts on the its draftees being sweaky clean.

In terms of potential/value Chris Baker in the 4th has Ron Brace in the 2nd covered quite easily. Just depends on where his head is at. Brace seems safer.

An all upside draft would look like this

1. Michael Johnson
2. Jared Cook
3. David Bruton
4. Chris Baker
5. Domonique Johnson
5. ??
6. ??
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ATL, I know you and a couple others have been high on MJ.

Im actually warming up to the idea of him being a Falcon, just not sure where yet. He is that type of player that has the measurables and cant miss athletic specimen gene, so I have no clue where to put him.

He definintly isnt the top 5 player he was said to be preseason, but thats sayin somethin that he used to actually be up there.

Fell down to the 2nd round after not going to the senior bowl but since then he has thrown up crazy numbers and seems to have wiggled his way back into the 1st round.

I would not be mad at all to take him at 24 depending on who else is there so Im hoping for a trade down.

I think he has too much athletic ability and size to not do well in the pros. He will keep me interested.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
ATL, I know you and a couple others have been high on MJ.

Im actually warming up to the idea of him being a Falcon, just not sure where yet. He is that type of player that has the measurables and cant miss athletic specimen gene, so I have no clue where to put him.

He definintly isnt the top 5 player he was said to be preseason, but thats sayin somethin that he used to actually be up there.

Fell down to the 2nd round after not going to the senior bowl but since then he has thrown up crazy numbers and seems to have wiggled his way back into the 1st round.

I would not be mad at all to take him at 24 depending on who else is there so Im hoping for a trade down.

I think he has too much athletic ability and size to not do well in the pros. He will keep me interested.
I agree, whilst im not as high on him as some, this front office would look like a genuis if he pans out. I cant think of a guy who could be taken this low with this much physical potential. He is 6"7 266 with arms down to his ankles and some of the biggest biceps i have ever seen. He also runs like a safety and benches like an O lineman.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my Dream draft:
1) DE Michael Johnson
2) NT Fili Moala
3) TE Chase Coffman
4) OLB Zack Follett
5a) CB Asher Allen
5b) OLB Nic Harris
6) OT Andrew Gardner

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Mekias hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I've been looking at some of Michael Johnson's video and while he has potential as a pass rusher, he seems to get man-handled pretty easily once the O-lineman get a hold of him. Opposing teams would run to his side all the time and take advantage of that. Combine that with his lack of experience and questionable motor and I wouldn't take a chance on him in the first round.

He's the type of player that scouts drool over but can easily be a bust. I don't think we should use our first round pick on someone with that much risk.

All that being said, if we pick him at #24, I wouldn't be upset. I think TD and Mike Smith would have considered the negatives at length before making the decision. They seem to favor on-field production more than raw physical tools so if they go for the guy with the combine numbers, it means that they see something more in him.

Last edited by Mekias : 03-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Mekias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
my Dream draft:
1) DE Michael Johnson
2) NT Fili Moala
3) TE Chase Coffman
4) OLB Zack Follett
5a) CB Asher Allen
5b) OLB Nic Harris
6) OT Andrew Gardner
holy mother of god.
thats perfect

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's something I forgot to mention the other day when boasting about getting to attend part of UGA's pro-day and watching/listening to a conversation between Willie Martinez, Rennie Curran and the Falcons reps. When Willie Martinez mentioned that Curran could be draft eligible next year Dimitroff said something about "Well, I hope it's 2 years from now". I don't remember the exact words and it didn't seem all that significant to me at the time, but after thinking about it what he said really shows the 'Patriot mindset' he has. The Patriots were known for a while to have more college graduates that any other team in the NFL. I don't know if they still have the most college graduates, but it was something they apparently considered when looking at prospects. Dimitroff obviously won't refuse to draft underclassmen because he took Lofton last year, but he does seem to have a preference for seniors. Just something to consider when predicting who the Falcons may draft.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bye Bye Laurent.

Laurent, our 5th, and our 6th to the Rams for their 6th and 5th.

First impression, I hate it. The more I look, the more I like. Laurent has a ton of potential no question from here. However, I seem to remember some concerns about his work ethic/being a ***** when it comes to suiting up with an injury. This has been proven very true thus far, and I can see where that wouldn't fit the Smitty/TD prototype.

It's a thin line for me though. I hate giving up potential. So if we stand pat, I won't like this. However, who can complain if we use these much better 5th and 6th round picks to move up in the 2nd or 3rd and grab a player who can start on our defense?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow that surprises me a lot. We don't even get an extra pick. Laurent has great speed and a lot of potential. He's still very young, but i hate his work ethic.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was a little you know what last year.

But that isn't much at all. Couldn't it have been at least a fourth and fifth move up?

I wouldn't mind picking up a receiver, but it seems we are set. I'm not comfortable at all with our depth, though.

Still not a big fan of Michael Jenkins.

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 04-06-2009 at 07:29 PM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
He was a little you know what last year.

But that isn't much at all. Couldn't it have been at least a fourth and fifth move up?

I wouldn't mind picking up a receiver, but it seems we are set. I'm not comfortable at all with our depth, though.

Still not a big fan of Michael Jenkins.

He's grown on me. I still didn't like settling on him as our #2, but obviously we must be confident he will get to #2 status. I'm starting to think he might too. He certainly looked better this past season. At the very least he still is a great blocker and a redzone threat.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly don't understand this trade for you guys. I thought that Laurent looked like he had a good amount of potential to be a solid receiver for the Falcons?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I honestly don't understand this trade for you guys. I thought that Laurent looked like he had a good amount of potential to be a solid receiver for the Falcons?

He did. I think we are loading up on some ammo to trade up and grab a defensive player that can help us out. While Laurent has shown flashes, he can't stay healthy, and our top 3 (Roddy, Jenks, Douglas) is set for a while. And Finn established himself as a Ryan favorite on 3 down, so... didn't leave a lot of time for Laurent anyway.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
He's grown on me. I still didn't like settling on him as our #2, but obviously we must be confident he will get to #2 status. I'm starting to think he might too. He certainly looked better this past season. At the very least he still is a great blocker and a redzone threat.
I think Jenkins is a number two, I just don't think he does anything special. Most of the top QBs have two top receivers (Harrison/ Wayne, Moss/Welker, Boldin/ Fitz, Marshall/ Royal, Jennings/ Driver, etc.). There are the Drew Brees and McNabb's of the world, but it would be nice to have a true second threat.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's why we gotta get a pass catching TE in the draft.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-06-2009, 08:07 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Probably not going to happen unless Pettigrew falls to us.

And I seriously doubt we get a pass catching tight end in the Beckum mold. Especially after we passed on LJ Smith for the lack of blocking prowess.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Mekias hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think we pretty much gave Laurent away. Laurent had some value and we got next to nothing for him. Granted, unless there was an injury, we wouldn't have gotten much use out of Laurent but you can't just give players away if you're deep at a certain position.

If this really was the absolute best they could get for Laurent, I guess I could live with it. But I just have a hard time believing they couldn't have gotten a little more.
Mekias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

im pretty sure we're gonna get a TE before the 5th round, someone that we can plug in right away.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-06-2009, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekias View Post
I think we pretty much gave Laurent away. Laurent had some value and we got next to nothing for him. Granted, unless there was an injury, we wouldn't have gotten much use out of Laurent but you can't just give players away if you're deep at a certain position.

If this really was the absolute best they could get for Laurent, I guess I could live with it. But I just have a hard time believing they couldn't have gotten a little more.
22 spots in the 5th and 20 spots in the 6th, i can't argue with that. With his work ethic and injury problem, we could have very well just let him go.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-06-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
im pretty sure we're gonna get a TE before the 5th round, someone that we can plug in right away.
He won't be a pass catching tight end. If looking at Scott's ratings (not correct, but close I would guess) tight ends like 2-6 are all under 250 pounds.

That doesn't fit what we do at all.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
He won't be a pass catching tight end. If looking at Scott's ratings (not correct, but close I would guess) tight ends like 2-6 are all under 250 pounds.

That doesn't fit what we do at all.

Only one I could see is Jared Cook... and that is because he's the only one (other then Pettigrew) that we've brought in for a visit I believe.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

Im not too enthralled with the compensation for Laurent Robinson but when you consider the fact that Randy Moss went for a 4th and guys like Torry Holt and TO (talent wise) are straight up released it is nice to get something for a guy who (barring injuries) was not going to do a whole lot for us this year.

Ill give TD the benifit of the doubt here. So guys let's think about this, what does it mean for the draft?

Firstly i think it shows TD believes this is a very deep draft and there will be players available in rounds 5 and 6 that can help us right away. For example, im sure a guy like Roy Miller (a guy TD will love and would make an impact for us as a rookie) will be there at our 1st 5th rounder now whereas before there is a chance he wouldn't.

Secondly, i actually think this may point toward us selecting one of the hybrid Tight Ends in Round 2 or 3. I know they dont fit out system but hear me out. Currently we don't throw to our tight end a whole lot, its not part of the system, we DO throw to our WRs and a TE needs to be able to block very well to be an every down player for this team. So whose not to say a guy like Jared Cook, who, as we have discussed, has the potential to be a decent blocker, is 3 years younger than Pettigrew and a far better athelete, couldn't now be more of an option as a 2nd round pick. He would come in and offer a huge receiving threat as a Tight End from day 1, be coached up all summer long on blocking and now be used as the #4 WR on a regular basis when we shift to a 4 WR package in place of Laurent AND if the package dictates, in place of Finneran.

I think we trade down from our 1st pick. a 5 spot trade down would net us an extra 3rd (we could still get English or Delmas), a 10+ trade down would net us an extra 2nd and there are many teams with more than one 2nd rounder (we could land 3 of Hood, Johnson, Ayers, Chung, Vaughn, Brace, Cook, Nelson)

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 04-06-2009 at 08:52 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I would love Nelson, he's the only one that can contribute a little bit blocking. I doubt we didn't sign L.J Smith solely on his poor blocking, he's horrible in other areas too (CATCHING!!)

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

I think Cook and Ingram could also contribute as blockers. This coaching staff is very very good. I didnt even know who Harvey Dahl was this time last year. Ingram and Cook both put up the 225lb mores time than Pettigrew did and Cook has very long arms and a 41" vert (explosiveness). Mr Brudreau would make Jared Cook his B#$% for the entire training camp. Who knows what you would have come week 1.

Blocking aside, imagine this

White....................Cook...........X..X..X..X ..X..............Douglas.........Jenkins

...........................................Ryan... ..Norwood

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 04-06-2009 at 09:23 PM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

looks good to me, i love it.

Quote:
we all hate you